Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

derfderf wrote: »
    Bloody Elbow hate MMA more than Star Wars fans hate Star Wars.

The content is damning and embarrassing as I read through them all, despite the facilitator.
    If you read that exact same article on MMAJunkie, Severe or MMAFighting would you notice? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The content is damning and embarrassing as I read through them all, despite the facilitator.
    If you read that exact same article on MMAJunkie, Severe or MMAFighting would you notice? Nope.

And yet it wasn't published by any of them. As usual, it was Bloody Elbow.
    As the poster above said, what do you expect from people that get hit in the head for a living? The Covid stuff is especially ridiculous, probably half of the US thinks the same. Why single out fighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

And yet it wasn't published by any of them. As usual, it was Bloody Elbow.
    As the poster above said, what do you expect from people that get hit in the head for a living? The Covid stuff is especially ridiculous, probably half of the US thinks the same. Why single out fighters?

I'm assuming because they are the ones spouting this from their platform.

If I copy an pasted the text from the article you wouldn't know it was BE. Why single out them??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm assuming because they are the ones spouting this from their platform.

If I copy an pasted the text from the article you wouldn't know it was BE. Why single out them??

There are all sorts of 'blue tick' social media users spouting this nonsense. From musicians, to comedians, to actors, politicians, sports stars, etc etc. Singling out MMA fighters is ridiculous.

I have no doubt everyone of us has someone in our friends list on FB, Insta, Twitter etc doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I have no doubt everyone of us has someone in our friends list on FB, Insta, Twitter etc doing the same.
    Why single out fighters?

Because it's an MMA publication. It would be strange if they singled out farmers, accountants, or my auntie Sandra.

This stuff needs to be called out. Casually excusing it is mind-boggling to me. You've got lads posting memes about Jews being "the invisible enemy".

While I agree that Bloody Elbow have increased their publication of anti-right wing content lately, that doesn't make them wrong for calling out those peddling anti-semitic rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Bloody Elbow hate MMA more than Star Wars fans hate Star Wars.

Bloody Elbow might bang on about politics in MMA a bit much, but theyre one of the only sites i can think of that do. Karim Zidan is also one of the few genuine reporters willing to point out the ugly side of MMA too with lengthy articles about Kadyrov and his association with Khabib/Chechen MMA, and the rise of white power groups and their love of MMA.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You've got lads posting memes about Jews being "the invisible enemy".

People seem hung up on this point. The fella deleted the post, apologised and said he is not anti-Semitic but anti zionism, which is not a bad thing at all to be honest. It actually shows a decent level of intelligence. The state of Israel and it's incomprehensible actions towards the people of Palestine deserves a lot of publicity as is.

People seem hung up on this point. The fella deleted the post, apologised and said he is not anti-Semitic but anti zionism, which is not a bad thing at all to be honest.

Sounds like he retrospectively moved the goalposts to me.

Anyway, you questioned why Bloody Elbow, an MMA publication, was singling-out MMA fighters posting anti-Semitism and unfounded conspiracy theories and were ignoring that other celebrities were doing the same.

There is absolutely no way that you need this explained to you! It's the same reason we don't talk about Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber here. Why would we?

The cognitive dissonance involved in excusing/dismissing this kind of stuff can be disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Holloway Vs Katter 8pm GMT
    Chiesa Vs Magny 5pm GMT
    Poirer Vs Mcgregor 3am GMT

Surprised the Poirer V Mcgregor card is at 3am as usually fight island fights are at times to suit European fans

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Chiesa Vs Magny 5pm GMT

Surprised the Poirer V Mcgregor card is at 3am as usually fight island fights are at times to suit European fans

The McGregor card is at a time to suit those who will pay for it.

They'll sell way more $70 PPVs in the US than they will €30 PPVs in the UK & Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know Khabib-Gaethje (254) was earlier but the main cards for 255 and 256 started at 3am GMT and something along the same lines for 253.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

3am or similar is the usual time for a PPV cards.
    Khabib card was the exception, not the rule.

Sounds like he retrospectively moved the goalposts to me.

The cognitive dissonance involved in excusing/dismissing this kind of stuff can be disturbing.

It's actually the complete opposite of cognitive dissonance. This 'kind of stuff' is prevelant in every corner of modern society. My point is it's a non story, not worth publishing, never mind commenting on and claiming faux outrage.

People seem hung up on this point. The fella deleted the post, apologised and said he is not anti-Semitic but anti zionism, which is not a bad thing at all to be honest. It actually shows a decent level of intelligence. The state of Israel and it's incomprehensible actions towards the people of Palestine deserves a lot of publicity as is.

The Qanon conspiracy theory that these fighters are promoting is based in 100% anti-semitism. And its important to know who in the MMA world genuinely believes in that garbage as anyone who honest to god thinks Donald Trump is saving the world form an international cabal of leftwing Paedophile vampires funded by George Soros is someone i can never support, ever again. I was saddened to see Masvidal posting some #wwg1wga bull**** recently but hey at least it means when Colby does to him what Usman did i wont have to be sad about it. Although Colbys just as bad with his Trump ****, so really its a whoever wins, i lose scenario lol

It's actually the complete opposite of cognitive dissonance. This 'kind of stuff' is prevelant in every corner of modern society. My point is it's a non story, not worth publishing, never mind commenting on and claiming faux outrage.

So which is it?

Other celebrities say it online, so why are Bloody Elbow reporting when fighters say it?

Your Auntie Maureen and the lad from school who struggled with his times-tables says it on Facebook, so why are they reporting it?

It's a non story, so why are they reporting it?

Spike Whatshisface posted anti-Semitism, but he backtracked so it's grand?

All pretty weak for excusing hate-filled nonsense, indirect anti-Semitism and actual direct anti-Semitism.

It takes place in all corners of society, but when it takes place in the MMA world, it's 100% relevant to Bloody Elbow. Whether or not anyone thinks being against direct anti-Semitism is "faux outrage".

Jesus, some people are triggered here! The one person you all seem hung up on, for supposedly being anti-Semitic, actually issued a decent apology and stated quite clearly that he is not anti-Semitic but anti zionisn, which I believe most people would be anyway.

Even the person who posted the link here originally was taking about the "rationilising of the existence of Jews is still shocking every time I read it" without even acknowledging the retraction.

Other posters are saying "people who get punched in the face for a living in 'not the brightest' shocker". There are many people of significant intelligence who spout such nonsense from 5G to covid denials, to anti zionism to pizza eating pedophile rings.

The generalistations, dismissiveness of retractions and faux outrage are just unnecessary.

Anyway, not that I'll be discussing it further but if others want to discuss it may be better taken to off topic.

triggered

faux outrage

Damn, Was one "snowflake" away from bingo!

At the end of the day, reporting on things MMA fighters say is MMA reporting. No matter who else retweets rubbish on the internet.

Chiesa Vs Magny 5pm GMT

Unreal times for the first two cards. The Wednesday prelims start at 2pm. What a time to be working from home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

"Working"

Fight Pass has been a godsend while working from home! Especially when Cage Warriors do those trilogy weekends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He also said he was pro-Israel. Which suggests he isn’t anti-zionist, or doesn’t understand it. And is simple trying to hide anti-semitism behind a label he thinks excuses it.

Fight Pass has been a godsend while working from home! Especially when Cage Warriors do those trilogy weekends!

Yeah i subbed to fight pass during lockdown 1 or 2.. forget which now, its all a blur :pac: But its been brilliant. Fire it up on lunch breaks or post work just to have something to watch. The sheer amount of content on it is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Brilliant article here on mma fighting about Spencer Fisher

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/1/12/21554602/the-cost-of-being-the-king-spencer-fisher-ufc

Hard to read at times with the struggles he has had with damage from the fights, but the story has to be told. So many fighter thrown on the scap heap after giving every inch of themselves for the game.

Also links to an amateur documentary made about him a few years back.

Just got logged out of Fight Pass while watching Cage Warriors. When I logged back in, I noticed that the prelims had a little lock symbol.

When I clicked on it, it gave me new options. One was €199 for a yearly sub that includes all PPVs. Seems a decent deal but surely that's not right? Also, it mentions Japanese commentary........ maybe it thinks I'm in Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

jaysus id jump at that. checked there for me and its still 90 squids for the year + two tubs of Vaseline per ppv

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just got logged out of Fight Pass while watching Cage Warriors. When I logged back in, I noticed that the prelims had a little lock symbol.

When I clicked on it, it gave me new options. One was €199 for a yearly sub that includes all PPVs. Seems a decent deal but surely that's not right? Also, it mentions Japanese commentary........ maybe it thinks I'm in Japan?

Yeah, looks like it is a Japanese thing.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ufc-fight-pass-in-japan-includes-ppv-main-event-for-cheaper.4149778/

Makes me wonder if it would actually work or would I pay the fee and then have the PPVs blocked for not being in Japan.

I already have BT Sport but i'd pay €200 p/a for Fight Pass plus the option of watching PPVs on there on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Makes me wonder if it would actually work or would I pay the fee and then have the PPVs blocked for not being in Japan.

I already have BT Sport but i'd pay €200 p/a for Fight Pass plus the option of watching PPVs on there on top.
    If only there was a way to trick it into thinking you were somewhere else.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    If only there was a way to trick it into thinking you were somewhere else.

I'm well aware of such means but a lot of modern apps now block that stuff out, or even just set you to one region at a time (like Amazon Prime for example).

Tell ya, €200 would be a decent price. Fight Pass, all PPVs AND you get to improve your Japanese? Bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

250lbs Jones looks huge. He'll probably be cutting weight for his HW fight when it happens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement