Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

The uk supply isnt interupted

Like i dont blame/critise the uk government here,its in a terrible state as regards death rate etc and the EU going in demanding x,y and z off a country in crisis is no solution either

Because the U.K. are getting there’s from the U.K. factories. The U.K. have had delays in Pfizer and BioNtech due to the Belgium factory issues. As I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any contract that can be tied down to guess work, maybe"s, maybe not"s?

A contract could be structured as an option - "Beginning Jan 2020 the EU has a right to request up to X million doses per month at price Y and AZ must supply these"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any contract that can be tied down to guess work, maybe"s, maybe not"s?

How many contracts are you aware of for vaccines in a pandemic? Are you aware of contracts that allow a buyer to inspect production logs and who production was sold too? As that’s apparently in this contract too.

I agree with you in general but contracts for these things would be so niche anything could be in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Lets see if I can make it simple.

Data is bad.

Ema need to take time and do due diligence to study the data in depth.

Ema wont take shortcuts.

If anyone wants to complain about the approval not coming through I want them to explain the data and their favoured dosage regimen.
    Please don’t talk to me like I’m an idiot! You don’t need to ‘make it simple when you’re changing the subject as you don’t actually have an answer!

UK didn’t take shortcuts either, or the other countries that have approved it. They amended the approval process to speed things up due to it being a reasonably serious situation.

But keep making excuses of it helps you feel warm and fuzzy.

Mod

Calm it down and improve the tone please lads.

46 Long wrote: »

They bought X million from them and are now being informed that only Y are available. Where Y is less than X.

If they had bought 2X million, or were now willing to pay more than the contractually agreed price, how would that have meant AZ would have more than Y now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

EMA to only approve for under 65s, it’s bad for a lot
    It’s horrific for the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Among seniors it has to be noted.

Wasn’t the plan to use mRNA vaccines on the old and this one on others anyway?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Ah well sure, what’s all the fuss about then, cancel the contract it doesn’t work........

Completely coincidental timing of course! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Ah well sure, what’s all the fuss about then, cancel the contract it doesn’t work........

Are you missing the part about over 65's? It's still an important part of the armoury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭SteM

How do they define 'seniors'? I know 2 people that got the 1st dose of the AZ vaccine in the UK over the weekend, one is 71 the other is 70.

They bought X million from them and are now being informed that only Y are available. Where Y is less than X.

If they had bought 2X million, or were now willing to pay more than the contractually agreed price, how would that have meant AZ would have more than Y now?

They bought x million, but on the basis they may or may not take them and will inform them when they feel like it.

Hardly the basis for a firm contract is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bennyl10 wrote: »
    EMA to only approve for under 65s, it’s bad for a lot
    It’s horrific for the UK
    Is it the main one they are using?
    100 million doses ordered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

For anyone that said they didn't have a clue what I was speaking about, or that I was wrong about the EU banning Ireland from buying supplies and yet couldn't, even after I asked, show me the proof of why I was wrong.
    The EU are playing politics with our health and its totally unacceptable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1386888/Brexit-news-oxford-vaccine-ireland-micheal-martin-coronavirus-covid19/amp

IRELAND has been BARRED from ordering up doses of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine in an apparent EU bid to pay the UK back for Brexit, a former Irish diplomat has said.
    The pioneering vaccine has yet to be given the green light by the EU, despite having been given the thumbs-up in the UK, as efforts are stepped up to vaccinate as many people as possible with the NHS under increasing pressure. However, Ray Bassett, Ireland’s former ambassador to Canada, Jamaica and the Bahamas, told Express.co.uk: “Our Minister for Health, Stephen Donnelly, has just been rebuffed publicly when he suggested that Ireland should bring in some supplies of the AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID vaccine in anticipation of its approval by the European Medicines Agency
    “The Irish Government was sharply told by the Commission that this would not be permitted.

“It is hard to see how any democratic Government should allow itself to be overruled by an unelected body like the Commission especially when the health of its citizens is involved in a pandemic.”

The reasons for the EU’s stance are unclear - but given the strained nature of relations between the bloc and the UK in the light of Brexit it seems reasonable to think it may be a factor.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Are you missing the part about over 65's? It's still an important part of the armoury.

Nope, I read the whole article, the article exclaiming the it’s only 8% effective in over 65’s......the first anyone’s ever said about it and amazingly missed by the U.K. scientists who are some of the best in the world!

It stinks IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They didn’t find fund the R&D they part funded is all. That’s besides the point unless the publish the contract that stipulates that funding directly allocated them X vaccinations.

Without seeing a breakdown of their R&D spending, we won't know to what extent the EU funded their research, but €336 million is not loose change and would have gone a long way into the R&D for the vaccine.
    So you believe everything a politician says! Wow, ok then crack on so!

No Boris, I don't. But I do know the EU are usually conservative and cautious when making public statements. The temperature only rises when a clear breach of a contract is threatened, such as when the UK declared their intention to break international law on an agreement signed by the the very PM who planned to break it.
    greyday wrote: »
    Where did you get the 100 billion euro, that is absolute crap in fairness.

Typo. I meant a billion
    Because the U.K. are getting there’s from the U.K. factories. The U.K. have had delays in Pfizer and BioNtech due to the Belgium factory issues. As I understand it.

Time will tell. My suspicion is the UK are getting theirs from the UK and EU factories. AZ is headquartered in London, so it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the EU doses were redirected to the UK to increase UK supply after delays with other suppliers.

Stay Free

Aegir wrote: »
    They bought x million, but on the basis they may or may not take them and will inform them when they feel like it.

That's what an option is dude.

Seriously?
    You honestly think they would shoot themselves in the foot by doing something so stupid?
    It is in the EUs best interest to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible.

If this story is true....the UK has made a balls of it...as usual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Danzy wrote: »
    There is a bit of By Jingoism creeping in on this thread, yet many of the most ardent supporters of the EU are pointing out that it's response is not acceptable.

I've always been a dyed in the wool EU supporter but it's patently obvious that they have really shít the bed with the vaccine roll-out.

Ese5Wj7XIAEmN5k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

For anyone that said they didn't have a clue what I was speaking about, or that I was wrong about the EU banning Ireland from buying supplies and yet couldn't, even after I asked, show me the proof of why I was wrong.

https://www.google.com...onavirus-covid19/amp

IRELAND has been BARRED from ordering up doses of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine in an apparent EU bid to pay the UK back for Brexit, a former Irish diplomat has said.
    Ah FFS, the Express. How naive are you, all their stories are made up ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Reputable paper saying this only has 8% efficacy in over 65s

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1353797582963748865?s=20

The UK been banging it into arms indiscriminately in absence of good research for months now.

Stupid idiots, wasting it. As a nation they really are just thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

froog wrote: »
    on the radio now - AZ are playing hardball. talk of the UK not having any supply problems.

this won't end well.

Irish anti Brexit pro EU sycophants have looked stupid for 5 years now, but surely have never looked dafter than in the present day. The UK over a month ahead on vaccines, firing ahead with approvals, little old Ireland not daring to think outside the EU box in case it upsets our bosses.

Probably wishful thinking but I'd get the train up to Belfast for an all dayer every Saturday if pubs re open up North before they do here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1386888/Brexit-news-oxford-vaccine-ireland-micheal-martin-coronavirus-covid19/amp

The pioneering vaccine has yet to be given the green light by the EU, despite having been given the thumbs-up in the UK, as efforts are stepped up to vaccinate as many people as possible with the NHS under increasing pressure. However, Ray Bassett, Ireland’s former ambassador to Canada, Jamaica and the Bahamas, told Express.co.uk: “Our Minister for Health, Stephen Donnelly, has just been rebuffed publicly when he suggested that Ireland should bring in some supplies of the AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID vaccine in anticipation of its approval by the European Medicines Agency
    “The Irish Government was sharply told by the Commission that this would not be permitted.

“It is hard to see how any democratic Government should allow itself to be overruled by an unelected body like the Commission especially when the health of its citizens is involved in a pandemic.”

The reasons for the EU’s stance are unclear - but given the strained nature of relations between the bloc and the UK in the light of Brexit it seems reasonable to think it may be a factor.

Ray Basset eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The Express :D

That’s like posting up a link to Beano.

Reputable paper saying this only has 8% efficacy in over 65s

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1353797582963748865?s=20

The UK been banging it into arms indiscriminately in absence of good research for months now.

Stupid idiots, wasting it. As a nation they really are just thick.

This could have global issues

Afaik this vaccine was to be used in 3rd world countries,as was due to be sold at e5 a pop

The express is a pro brexit pro tory rag.
    The EU are correct imo, ireland shouldn't be doing side deals before something is approved.

The source of the quotes....Ray Bassett, Ireland’s former ambassador to Canada, Jamaica and the Bahamas....wow big name one to be trusted with his...finger on the pulse...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Nope, I read the whole article, the article exclaiming the it’s only 8% effective in over 65’s......the first anyone’s ever said about it and amazingly missed by the U.K. scientists who are some of the best in the world!

It stinks IMO.

But I think the contract will still go ahead i
    I'm saying. You believe it'll be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

46 Long wrote: »
    I've always been a dyed in the wool EU supporter but it's patently obvious that they have really shít the bed with the vaccine roll-out.

Ese5Wj7XIAEmN5k.jpg

1.6% of the EU population done so far.

It's a joke. Hard to imagine that the response could be so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    You may as well be getting your news from the village idiot. Publication aside, look at the other "stories" written by that journalist. :D

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Aegir wrote: »

Yes to this!

If someone gave me 10euro to make a garden planter. I made it and its ready yet they don't know when they want to collect it, or if they even want to collect it. Do I keep it there in the hopes the buyer takes it eventually, or do I sell it on and make another for the original buyer when he decides he wants it. Tbh, id give the original buyer his money back because nobody wants to be messed around.

Advertisement