We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

134689230

Comments

  • #2


    Ah so it was a tee up to a dig! Nice one!

    So because I’ve got criticisms of how some of this has been handled by the EU you don’t know what point I’m making.

    I’ve not used long complicated words so it’s difficult to understand how you’re confused, but then if you don’t get sarcasm then not much more I can do. Good luck.

    Its not a dig. Perhaps you're correct. I'm afraid i honestly failed to spot the sarcasm. And yes I have understood the words you've used. Its just that the fashion in which they're assembled doesn't really make it clear to me what your point is.


  • #2


    finding the research and funding the research are different, correct? I think it's only proper to correct typos wherever possible.



    Riiight. Good counter-argument.



    Not quite. Let me help you out.

    Suspicion (noun)
    "a feeling or thought that something is possible, likely, or true"



    If you can't handle it, don't dish it out.

    You quite rudely suggested (incorrectly) that I believed everything a politician says. That was an attack on my intelligence and was deserving of a response. On the contrary, I have very little trust for politicians, but there are cultures and patterns that can be expected from politicians based in different countries. The Brits are full of bravado and the EU are tight lipped and far more composed.

    You win, you’ve beaten me with too many words. Good luck.


  • #2


    silverharp wrote: »
    good news for "younger" people I guess

    Well, our first port of call for the GP/Pharmacist administering route was heavy use of Astra to vaccinate the over 70s.

    What do we do now?

    Skip them? Ask them to go to mass vaccination centres where the Pfizer one can be stored? Wait an age for Moderna to be available on sufficient supplies.


  • #2


    PCeeeee wrote: »
    Its not a dig. Perhaps you're correct. I'm afraid i honestly failed to spot the sarcasm. And yes I have understood the words you've used. Its just that the fashion in which they're assembled doesn't really make it clear to me what your point is.

    Ok so my posts have quite clearly criticised the EU’s handling of the procurement and approval of Covid vaccines.

    What’s your point? Other than saying you don’t understand I’m criticising them.


  • #2


    Beasty wrote: »
    AZ didn't make it's submission to the EU until after the UK had approved it. My suspicion would be they were under some influence to get the UK rollout moving quickly

    At the time it felt a lot like the MHRA was moving under political pressure. There was a huge political need at the time to beat the EU to market.


  • #2


    Danzy wrote: »
    Your email subscriptions aside, it is in more than the Express.

    Care to link me up.
    I found this:

    https://www.newstalk.com/news/astrazeneca-vaccine-supplies-wont-arrive-in-ireland-until-mid-february-taoiseach-1137919

    but it is somewhat more bland than the Daily Express in that it doesn't quite say
    IRELAND has been BARRED from ordering up doses of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine in an apparent EU bid to pay the UK back for Brexit, a former Irish diplomat (Ray Basset) has said.

    which seems to contain 2...distortions or maybe mistakes being charitable.

    I'm afraid I am not a member or a supporter of the Irish Freedom Party or the National Party or whatever they are called, and am not on their mailing lists either. Care to post such emails here for us if you receive them yourself?

    Anyway, one thing I do believe is that all 27 of the EU members bidding against each other and putting up warchests to pay off their favourite drug companies to research & manufacture a vaccine for them would have been an absolute shít show.

    Now we might have done well out of that as we are quite wealthy, and the drug companies would have done very, very well but someone would have been unlucky or gotten screwed over.

    edit: I found this too:

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/astrazeneca-tells-hse-vaccine-deliveries-can-be-expected-by-mid-february-1.4462656

    Again there is a bit less fire and brimstone here:
    In response to queries from The Irish Times, a European Commission spokesman said: “Vaccines cannot be delivered before EMA [European Medicines Agency] delivers its recommendation for authorisation and the commission then grants marketing authorisation. This is a requirement as per the Advance Purchase Agreement.


  • #2


    blackcard wrote: »
    What countries have approved AZ to date apart from the UK?

    10-12 so far, can’t find the list at the moment but it was posted yesterday.


  • #2


    Ok so my posts have quite clearly criticised the EU’s handling of the procurement and approval of Covid vaccines.

    What’s your point? Other than saying you don’t understand I’m criticising them.

    The EU has part funded vaccines months ago and signed several APAs in September, October and November despite EMA approval for those vaccines being months away in most cases.

    The EMA isn't a political institution. Do you feel it's inherently slower because it is EU based or what?


  • #2


    10-12 so far, can’t find the list at the moment but it was posted yesterday.
    Is that emergency use only or full use?
    Big difference


  • #2


    noodler wrote: »
    Well, our first port of call for the GP/Pharmacist administering route was heavy use of Astra to vaccinate the over 70s.

    What do we do now?

    Skip them? Ask them to go to mass vaccination centres where the Pfizer one can be stored? Wait an age for Moderna to be available on sufficient supplies.
    Or target the under 65 with the oxford one and get them back to work, and start opening things up again....


  • #2


    noodler wrote: »
    The EU has part funded vaccines months ago and signed several APAs in September, October and November despite EMA approval for those vaccines being months away in most cases.

    The EMA isn't a political institution. Do you feel it's inherently slower because it is EU based or what?

    I’m saying it’s inherently slower because it is proving to be slower. I’m not the only one saying this and it’s even being said themselves that it could have been faster.

    Why would I be happy that a vaccine that would enable a more normal is taking longer than it could have taken? Are you happy to be stuck in perpetual states of lockdown for longer than necessary?


  • #2


    gmisk wrote: »
    Is that emergency use only or full use?
    Big difference

    Please feel free to check yourself, I’m not a research service. Thanks.


  • #2


    What I can't understand about the EU and your man Ray Bassett is why they keep telling him all this secret inside information that they apparently don't even tell their own insiders!


  • #2


    I’m saying it’s inherently slower because it is proving to be slower. I’m not the only one saying this and it’s even being said themselves that it could have been faster.

    Why would I be happy that a vaccine that would enable a more normal is taking longer than it could have taken? Are you happy to be stuck in perpetual states of lockdown for longer than necessary?

    Do you have any reason to feel the EMA isn't taking the appropriate amount of time to approve it?



    Other than because Astra's home country approved it first?

    What is it about the EMA that you think is so uniquely EU that is causing it to be so slow?


  • #2


    noodler wrote: »
    Do you have any reason to feel the EMA isn't taking the appropriate amount of time to approve it?



    Other than because Astra's home country approved it first?

    What is it about the EMA that you think is so uniquely EU that is causing it to be so slow?

    Listen, you think it’s acceptable to have taken so long, I don’t. You’re trying to steer the narrative to paint me as an EU hater, the EMA is a decentralised agency of the EU and works on behalf of the EU27. That’s all there is.

    The fact is, we’re still waiting and others aren’t. If you’re happy with that then so be it, I’m not.


  • #2


    Ok so my posts have quite clearly criticised the EU’s handling of the procurement and approval of Covid vaccines.

    What’s your point? Other than saying you don’t understand I’m criticising them.

    I have read all your posts in this thread again. The first was one about grabbing popcorn and brexit bashing. After that you made several references to the EMA's slowness in approving the vaccine. And engaged in various back and forths with a theme that could be crudely described as EU bad, UK good.

    I hope both the UK and the EU have successful and speedy vaccination rollout. Its not some kind of competition. That's my point.


  • #2


    Listen, you think it’s acceptable to have taken so long, I don’t. You’re trying to steer the narrative to paint me as an EU hater, the EMA is a decentralised agency of the EU and works on behalf of the EU27. That’s all there is.

    The fact is, we’re still waiting and others aren’t. If you’re happy with that then so be it, I’m not.

    You just seem angry but you aren't sure why.


  • #2


    [QUOTE=PCeeeee;Its not some kind of competition. That's my point.[/QUOTE]

    I am afraid it certainly is.
    Let's see how long vaccines take to roll out in west Africa


  • #2


    PCeeeee wrote: »
    I have read all your posts in this thread again. The first was one about grabbing popcorn and brexit bashing. After that you made several references to the EMA's slowness in approving the vaccine. And engaged in various back and forths with a theme that could be crudely described as EU bad, UK good.

    I hope both the UK and the EU have successful and speedy vaccination rollout. Its not some kind of competition. That's my point.

    Well the thread started as AZ bashing as representatives of the EU have come out with snide remarks that they don’t believe AZ’s explanation of the delays, and then plenty of comments that they’ve given it to the Brits or the Brits made them do it.

    My references to the EMA being slow is because they are still deciding yet it’s been signed off in other countries and has been rolled out for weeks.
    This is slower then other countries, therefore, slower.

    EU countries approval and rollout of vaccines is 1.97% = slow = bad.

    U.K. approval and rollout of vaccines is 10.4% = faster = good.

    This isn’t a Brit vs us thing, this is a get back to normal, save lives thing.


  • #2


    Well the thread started as AZ bashing as representatives of the EU have come out with snide remarks that they don’t believe AZ’s explanation of the delays, and then plenty of comments that they’ve given it to the Brits or the Brits made them do it.

    My references to the EMA being slow is because they are still deciding yet it’s been signed off in other countries and has been rolled out for weeks.
    This is slower then other countries, therefore, slower.

    EU countries approval and rollout of vaccines is 1.97% = slow = bad.

    U.K. approval and rollout of vaccines is 10.4% = faster = good.

    This isn’t a Brit vs us thing, this is a get back to normal, save lives thing.

    I guess time will tell what the best strategy was.


  • #2


    noodler wrote: »
    You just seem angry but you aren't sure why.

    I did post why but deleted it as didn’t seem the right place but if you’re like that then:

    My Dad lived over in Essex. He got a small skin cancer last Feb, his March consult was cancelled, Covid hit, he never got another one. By August it had eaten him alive. I haven’t been able to get over to collect his ashes due to travel restrictions, safety concerns of catching Covid while travelling or in the U.K. as it’s been a mess there and I don’t see anytime soon that I can due to more travel restrictions, new variants etc.

    The sooner I and we can get a vaccine and a possible vaccine passport the sooner I can get him and bury him!

    So thanks but I do know why I’m angry, and for all the ‘biggest trade Union in the world’ they took too long negotiating the cost of the vaccines and now too long to approve. In my humble opinion.

    Thanks


  • #2


    Well the thread started as AZ bashing as representatives of the EU have come out with snide remarks that they don’t believe AZ’s explanation of the delays, and then plenty of comments that they’ve given it to the Brits or the Brits made them do it.

    My references to the EMA being slow is because they are still deciding yet it’s been signed off in other countries and has been rolled out for weeks.
    This is slower then other countries, therefore, slower.

    EU countries approval and rollout of vaccines is 1.97% = slow = bad.

    U.K. approval and rollout of vaccines is 10.4% = faster = good.

    This isn’t a Brit vs us thing, this is a get back to normal, save lives thing.




    Would you change your interpretation of those stats if the AZ vaccine is indeed shown to be less effective and lot of those in the UK have received it before it was tested correctly?


    Hopefully, if it is true, the only side effect is that they need another jab and that the not-properly-tested one wasn't actually harmful to them


  • #2


    Would you change your interpretation of those stats if the AZ vaccine is indeed shown to be less effective and lot of those in the UK have received it before it was tested correctly?


    Hopefully, if it is true, the only side effect is that they need another jab and that the not-properly-tested one wasn't actually harmful to them

    Perhaps, if it proves to be true, however I find the timing of the release extremely suspect, and for all the faults the U.K. scientists are some of the best in the world, they’ve seen the data and they’ve had weeks or rollout data to confirm.

    You’ve got to question why the EU have been stamping their feet so hard at only getting 30 million doses of it’s not even good enough to use on 20% of the EU population.


  • #2


    Blaaz_ wrote: »
    It falls upon germany and EMA to produce the data to support the 8% figure then

    Neither have made the claim, just "sources", so nothing falls upon them to produce any data.


  • #2


    Hurrache wrote: »
    Neither have made the claim, just "sources", so nothing falls upon them to produce any data.

    So it’s a non story then. Sources have said it and AZ have said it’s rubbish so end of story.


  • #2


    So it’s a non story then. Sources have said it and AZ have said it’s rubbish so end of story.

    It is a story, a big one.


  • #2


    Hurrache wrote: »
    It is a story, a big one.

    How so? If it’s just sources with no data to back it up then it’s just a game being played to discredit AZ due to their inability to deliver the amount they wanted. A nasty and underhand story but not a big one.


  • #2


    What I can't understand about the EU and your man Ray Bassett is why they keep telling him all this secret inside information that they apparently don't even tell their own insiders!

    I know the Telegraph have a poor reputation, but you'd imagine they'd at least try and fake having more sources when they want an "expert" to criticise the EU. Ray Bassett gets wheeled out at every opportunity to criticise everything about the EU from a purportedly Irish perspective. Telegraph readers must think he is some form of all powerful megacelebrity in Ireland given how they seek his in depth expertise on everything Irish.


  • #2


    Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Its far from end.....this needs explaining....if its not effective on vunerable,whats point in bothering with it

    Exactly why this ‘story’ has been published tonight...


  • #2


    How so? If it’s just sources with no data to back it up then it’s just a game being played to discredit AZ due to their inability to deliver the amount they wanted. A nasty and underhand story but not a big one.

    Lol, yeah, bad EU.

    I never said the sources had no data to back it up.


Society & Culture