Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The European Commission is concerned about where its money went basically.

AstraZeneca were paid €336 million as a downpayment to assist with the R&D and production expansion effort and there's a commitment to order €750m worth of product from them. That isn't small change.

Stella Kyriakides, European Commissioner for Health and Food Safety's statement:

As to what's happening. The answer is we don't know, but by the looks of it we'll be finding out shortly. She seems to be absolutely furious and I don't think they would kick off that level of undiplomatic language without there being more to this than a little misunderstanding.

Hopefully that's all it is though, but we'll see. There's a meeting tonight.

I think the EU have lost the plot on this AZ are a private company, entered into a contract for supply of a vaccine, that's the easy bit.

The EU obviously got all excited but there's a slight flaw in the notion any private company, supplying a product that has yet to be approved by the very organisation purchasing it can be expected not to start supplying those who have approved their product. I find it hard to believe AZ could be expected not to supply to those waiting and have approved its vaccine.

I understand the EU has paid for a set amount of doses but if logic dictates the product in question was at time yet to be actually produced, let alone approved, how could the company be able to determine an actual delivery date, in essence the company could easily say, we'll get to you eventually. It might seem far fetched but I strongly suspect AZ "s lawyers have their T" s crossed whilst typically the EU wants it cake and eat it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

There getting a higher price elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

They dont approve based on safety or not. They approve a product and the dosage.

If they approved based on safety alone it would have been approved in September.

Weak! You don’t work for the EMA and you don’t know what they approve on!

Excuses excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The EU more than paid for a number of doses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Happy to be shown the reality.

You want me to prove that the figment of your imagination didn't happen? How would one go about doing that?

Maybe you should give evidence to support your assertion instead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Weak! You don’t work for the EMA and you don’t know what they approve on!

Excuses excuses!

Weak research on your part

Educate yourself on the important of efficacy in the approval process.

There getting a higher price elsewhere

THEY’RE selling at barely more than cost! Unlike the rest who are charging 20 times the price!

Weak research on your part

Educate yourself on the important of efficacy in the approval process.

Ah and now the non-proven ‘facts’ get thrown back.

I don’t have to prove your point for you, YOU need to show the facts to back up your weak point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Dempo1 wrote: »

I understand the EU has paid for a set amount of doses but if logic dictates the product in question was at time yet to be actually produced, let alone approved, how could the company be able to determine an actual delivery date, in essence the company could easily say, we'll get to you eventually. It might seem far fetched but I strongly suspect AZ "s lawyers have their T" s crossed whilst typically the EU wants it cake and eat it.

As I understand it they also paid for it to be stockpiled for the EU prior to approval so that at whatever date it was approved there would be more dose's the later it was approved .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ah and now the non-proven ‘facts’ get thrown back.

I don’t have to prove your point for you, YOU need to show the facts to back up your weak point!

Proof. Feel free to entertain yourself with some facts.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/overview/public-health-threats/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/treatments-vaccines/covid-19-vaccines-key-facts

Common knowledge too. I wouldn't see a need to prove common knowledge so enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think the EU have lost the plot on this AZ are a private company, entered into a contract for supply of a vaccine, that's the easy bit.

The EU obviously got all excited but there's a slight flaw in the notion any private company, supplying a product that has yet to be approved by the very organisation purchasing it can be expected not to start supplying those who have approved their product. I find it hard to believe AZ could be expected not to supply to those waiting and have approved its vaccine.

I'm not sure what you are not understanding about it.

If AZ took the EU money and then decided to sell the product to others then it is like as if you financed your local mechanic up front to buy some classic car you identified in order to refurbish it for you, you paid for the materials as he went along, and when you arrived to collect it he said "ah, I sold it to some other fella yesterday but sure I'll find you another one"

Proof. Feel free to entertain yourself with some facts.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/overview/public-health-threats/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/treatments-vaccines/covid-19-vaccines-key-facts

Common knowledge too. I wouldn't see a need to prove common knowledge so enjoy yourself.

LOL! One subsection of one section that simply mentions ‘prescription and labelling’ does not a dosing regemin make!

You’re grabbing at straws and I’m not wasting my time anymore.

You did a reasonable job of trying to divert from you’re first incorrect post but not quite.

You keep defending the EMA and their slow response which is costing lives. None as blind as those that don’t want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

46 Long wrote: »

This can’t be right, it’s everyone but the EU’s fault......oh wait, it isn’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The EU jeopardising the health of one country to spite another Warren's a little more than having a 'hump'
    It's a downright dangerous precedent and should be nipped on the bud completely.

Yes we would be short of vaccines but that would be the fdault of the EU trying to play supreme ruler and not because the company rightfully pulled out.

What is the name of god are you posting about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

46 Long wrote: »

That's nonsense to be fair. The only statement we have so far is that AstraZeneca had a production glitch.

The EU paying a higher price per dose would do nothing to fix that. How much more per dose should they have paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What if the contract said, if we approve at any stage in January, you will have 60,000,000 doses available in February?

Then in this scenario AZ says, if you approve in Feb we can provide 60% less due to production delays. Then the EU thinks the production delays while valid are not the full story and the contract terms both parties agreed to weren’t achievable as AZ didn’t stockpile the 60mln doses but rather sold them?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

seller's market

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

They took our Jaaabs.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What if the contract said, if we approve at any stage in January, you will have 60,000,000 doses available in February?

Then in this scenario AZ says, if you approve in Feb we can provide 60% less due to production delays. Then the EU thinks the production delays while valid are not the full story and the contract terms both parties agreed to weren’t achievable as AZ didn’t stockpile the 60mln doses but rather sold them?

Just as in the Brexit negotiations, there does seem to be a lot of ‘we will always negotiate in good faith’ and at the drop of a hat accusations of distrust.

Same here, for all anyone knows at the moment it’s a simple business production issue, but senior people within the EU are publicly crossing the line, which is not in keeping with this alleged ‘good faith’. You have to wonder if it’s a bit of internal projection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

THEY’RE selling at barely more than cost! Unlike the rest who are charging 20 times the price!

Most of what we have is speculation. However, what we do know is the EU funded the R&D as well as purchasing 300 Million doses with the option of another 100 Million doses to the tune of over a BILLION Euro. The approval by the EMA is neither here nor there.....the EU paid for these vaccines.

Now, it would seem that the EU have reason to believe that AZ have allocated doses to other countries which had been ear marked for the EU. Why would they do this? I suspect because AZ were getting a premium for those doses by the buyers. The EU are generally over cautious and to come out and make the type of statement linked in this thread tells me that they are pretty sure AZ are pulling a fast one.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭greyday

The EU waited until November to order from Pfizer while the USA ordered in July, this looks a good way to deflect from the incompetence shown when ordering from the maker of the vaccine with the higher efficacy.

Most of what we have is speculation. However, what we do know is the EU funded the R&D as well as purchasing 300 Million doses with the option of another 100 Million doses to the tune of over a Hundred BILLION Euro. The approval by the EMA is neither here nor there.....the EU paid for these vaccines.

Now, it would seem that the EU have reason to believe that AZ have allocated doses to other countries which had been ear marked for the EU. Why would they do this? I suspect because AZ were getting a premium for those doses by the buyers. The EU are generally over cautious and to come out and make the type of statement linked in this thread tells me that they are pretty sure AZ are pulling a fast one.

They didn’t find the R&D they part funded is all. That’s besides the point unless the publish the contract that stipulates that funding directly allocated them X vaccinations.

So you believe everything a politician says! Wow, ok then crack on so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

does not a dosing regemin make!

What about the old saw "the dose makes the poison?" :confused:

On this forum, no...
    It's always 13 o'clock on the 31st of September and the EUs fault!

Looks to me the british have pulled a quick one and pressed astra to supply them first

That type underhand scheming is pretty much exactly,what id expect from the british tory party

Any proof or just more of the same old same old?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭greyday

Most of what we have is speculation. However, what we do know is the EU funded the R&D as well as purchasing 300 Million doses with the option of another 100 Million doses to the tune of over a Hundred BILLION Euro. The approval by the EMA is neither here nor there.....the EU paid for these vaccines.

Where did you get the 100 billion euro, that is absolute crap in fairness.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    What about the old saw "the dose makes the poison?" :confused:

What about the dosing and amendments to it have been out there for a while now.

On this forum, no...
    It's always 13 o'clock on the 31st of September and the EUs fault!

Must have missed that thread.....or is just tonight there’s a lot of blindness?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,213 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is a bit of By Jingoism creeping in on this thread, yet many of the most ardent supporters of the EU are pointing out that it's response is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Van.Bosch wrote: »

I'm not aware of any contract that can be tied down to guess work, maybe"s, maybe not"s?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Must have missed that thread.....or is just tonight there’s a lot of blindness?

I probably read the various threads in this place too much for my own good.:(
    When the EU comes up in discussions it is generally not...positive shall we say.

Advertisement