Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been fined and will you pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You stay at home then. I do but this is getting ridiculous.

And your answer to the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Our nearest shop is 8km away

So you can go there - there are no limits on distance for essential trips. The 5k is just if going to exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

E mac wrote: »
    Recently I was stopped by a guard on the way to the local vet
    Guard - Hello would you mind telling me where are you going?
    Me- Hi ,ya I’m just going to the vet at the end of the street gotta get vaccinations for the cows...
    Guard- that time of the year isn’t it ..
    Me- ya it is
    Guard - strange times isn’t it?
    Me- certainly is no sign it it changing soon either..
    Guard - Christ ,I’d just love a pint now!
    Me - you and me both! Good luck!
    Guard- Thanks! Bye..

A thankless job they do im sure he’s not the only guard that wants to go back to normality for a few pints

I think the guard didnt in fact want a pint, but was trying to coerce you into saying that you were in fact on your way to a shebeen for a pint right then and there.

I have to laugh at the guarda checkpoint coming out of BlackRock towards Stillorgan. Perpendicular route from the coast. Always in the same spot that is far less than 5km from the coast. Who are they expecting to be 5km from home in that direction? Such a bad location for a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And your answer to the question?

Why are you asking me? That's what our government is paid to work out, however just constant locking down is not feasible. We are now nearly a year from the initial lockdown and they never worked out any other plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Jesus the way people are having a go in this thread you would think your man and his Mrs were heading off to a massive houseparty before heading to a nursing home to cough in the residents faces before slapping a puppy. They were dropping recycling off is all which is responsible waste disposal. The government have allowed recycling centres to remain open as they are deemed essential. If no one is allowed visit why would they be even open!!

I dunno what you're bleating about, I wasn't talking about that man and his wife at all, I was referring to rubbish being spouted by another poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Completely wrong. Running a recycling centre is listed as essential, however recycling domestic waste is not.

If people don't think recycling centres are essential or not is irrelevant and personal opinion. They are classed as essential and you are allowed to visit to dispose of domestic recycling. If this should be allowed or not is a different matter. Call your council or local recycling centre or ask them, or check their facebook / twitter feed as they regularly show info on their social distancing rules while visiting.
    If you check most councils websites you will find the recycling of your domestic waste is the only type of recycling that is classed as essential. Most council websites say only normal domestic waste visits to the recycling centres and not commercial visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Jesus the way people are having a go in this thread you would think your man and his Mrs were heading off to a massive houseparty before heading to a nursing home to cough in the residents faces before slapping a puppy. They were dropping recycling off is all which is responsible waste disposal. The government have allowed recycling centres to remain open as they are deemed essential. If no one is allowed visit why would they be even open!!

I think the key question here is as asked above.

Why are the amenity centres open if it is against the rules to go to them?

Most of the rest is conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

elperello wrote: »

Do you not think that his having his wife with him for the spin was part of the problem?

Jimjay wrote: »
    If people don't think recycling centres are essential or not is irrelevant and personal opinion. They are classed as essential and you are allowed to visit to dispose of domestic recycling. If this should be allowed or not is a different matter. Call your council or local recycling centre or ask them, or check their facebook / twitter feed as they regularly show info on there social distancing rules while visiting.
    If you check most councils websites you will find the recycling of your domestic waste is the only type of recycling that is classed as essential. Most council websites say only domestic waste visits to the recycling centres and not commercial visitors.

Travel restrictions
    Domestic

People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home.

You can travel for the following reasons:

travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    teachers, SNAs and other school staff will be allowed to travel to school to facilitate distance learning
    to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    travel to attend disability day services
    travel to attend a court
    for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone, but excluding social family visits
    for food shopping
    for farming purposes (food production or care of animals)
    to attend a wedding or funeral
    to visit a grave

These are the only reasons to leave your home, taken directly from gov.ie. Guess what's not listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Do you not think that his having his wife with him for the spin was part of the problem?

Probably. Me and my wife went to our recycling centre this weekend. We also took the dog, after we dropped of our recycling we went for a walk on the seafront (which is next to the recycling centre). All within the 5km of our home. The garda station is also just down the road. There were plenty of people at the recycling centre all more than 2m apart. If its not allowed the local gaurds could have made a fortune in fines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It's not against the rules to go to them. It's against the rules to make unnecessary journeys. If your journey to the recycling centre is necessary then it's fine to go there.

A few rules of thumb:
    - if you're not sure if the journey is necessary or not, then it's not necessary.
    - if a Garda tells you not to continue on the journey or you'll be fined, then it's not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Haraldkare wrote: »
    I think the guard didnt in fact want a pint, but was trying to coerce you into saying that you were in fact on your way to a shebeen for a pint right then and there.

I have to laugh at the guarda checkpoint coming out of BlackRock towards Stillorgan. Perpendicular route from the coast. Always in the same spot that is far less than 5km from the coast. Who are they expecting to be 5km from home in that direction? Such a bad location for a checkpoint.

At 11am dressed the way I was with the dog in the jeep I’m fairly sure he knew I wasn’t going to a sheebeen.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

TBH I don't know.

Maybe that is the instruction given to members of AGS operating checkpoints maybe not.

My own opinion is that I can't see what difference it makes if there is one or two people in the car.

Again the key question is - are trips to amenity centres against the rules?

I dunno what you're bleating about, I wasn't talking about that man and his wife at all, I was referring to rubbish being spouted by another poster.

Wow, just wow. His opinion doesn't suit yours so you basically tell him to mind his own business!!.

The other poster you say was spouting rubbish was me.

What I stated was a fact, domestic recycling is open and deemed essential otherwise it would not be allowed open. You however attack anyone who has a different option to your "alternative facts".

Your are completely wrong - see what I did there, I stated you are wrong without any evidence to the contrary, just like you did earlier.

TBH I don't know.

Maybe that is the instruction given to members of AGS operating checkpoints maybe not.

My own opinion is that I can't see what difference it makes if there is one or two people in the car.

Again the key question is - are trips to amenity centres against the rules?
    The key question is (or should be) - are trips to the amenity centre essential?

Wow, just wow. His opinion doesn't suit yours so you basically tell him to mind his own business!!.

The other poster you say was spouting rubbish was me.

What I stated was a fact, domestic recycling is open and deemed essential otherwise it would not be allowed open. You however attack anyone who has a different option to your "alternative facts".

Your are completely wrong - see what I did there, I stated you are wrong without any evidence to the contrary, just like you did earlier.

You're bad at this, aren't you. I absolutely proved my point by including the reasons allowed for travel. Domestic recycling isn't included. Now do what you preach, show me where it's permitted, provide a link there if you can.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Had to travel yesterday from Clare to Cork... Passed through 8 checkpoints.

On Thursday I drove from Dublin to Sligo and came back through Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Monaghan, Cavan and Louth, and then separately (today) I've driven from Louth to Tipperary, and back through Limerick, Westmeath, Offaly, Meath and Dublin.

Between both of those days I seen 4 checkpoints (3 in Dublin) and was only stopped at one.

8 Checkpoints between Clare and Cork? :confused:

Travel restrictions
    Domestic

People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home.

You can travel for the following reasons:

travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    teachers, SNAs and other school staff will be allowed to travel to school to facilitate distance learning
    to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    travel to attend disability day services
    travel to attend a court
    for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone, but excluding social family visits
    for food shopping
    for farming purposes (food production or care of animals)
    to attend a wedding or funeral
    to visit a grave

These are the only reasons to leave your home, taken directly from gov.ie. Guess what's not listed?

Nope thats not the full list, you need the full text of the legislation. To show what I mean, you are allowed travel to NCT centres as they are considered essential (and stated on their website) yet that is not in your list from Gov.ie but no surprise there.

Phoebas wrote: »
    It's not against the rules to go to them. It's against the rules to make unnecessary journeys. If your journey to the recycling centre is necessary then it's fine to go there.

A few rules of thumb:
    - if you're not sure if the journey is necessary or not, then it's not necessary.
    - if a Garda tells you not to continue on the journey or you'll be fined, then it's not necessary.

Thanks for that the first paragraph sheds some light.

Many amenity centres accept bin bags of domestic waste and are the only place where householders are able to dispose of refuse.

I assume those using that facility would be making necessary trips and others just wanting to dispose of empties would not.

I have some difficulty with the second part.

It's a bit Flann O'Brien - kind of look into your soul :)

You're bad at this, aren't you. I absolutely proved my point by including the reasons allowed for travel. Domestic recycling isn't included. Now do what you preach, show me where it's permitted, provide a link there if you can.

Again attacking the poster not the post, you are showing bullying tendencies. My post crossed over as you posted yours - timing, I have only seen yours now. I have responded by showing travelling to NCT centers is allowed yet its not on your list.

• Advertisement

Again attacking the poster not the post, you are showing bullying tendencies. My post crossed over as you posted yours - timing, I have only seen yours now. I have responded by showing travelling to NCT centers is allowed yet its not on your list.

You haven't shown anything, you're just expressing opinions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

On Thursday I drove from Dublin to Sligo and came back through Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Monaghan, Cavan and Louth, and then separately (today) I've driven from Louth to Tipperary, and back through Limerick, Westmeath, Offaly, Meath and Dublin.

Between both of those days I seen 4 checkpoints (3 in Dublin) and was only stopped at one.

8 Checkpoints between Clare and Cork? :confused:

8 Checkpoints wouldnt surprise me on that trip. If I travel from Cork City to Clonakilty which is around 30 miles I would go through 3 checkpoints at least.

Thanks for that the first paragraph sheds some light.

Many amenity centres accept bin bags of domestic waste and are the only place where householders are able to dispose of refuse.

I assume those using that facility would be making necessary trips and others just wanting to dispose of empties would not.

I have some difficulty with the second part.

It's a bit Flann O'Brien - kind of look into your soul :)

I also have difficulty with the second part, gardai can say its not necessary but until proven in court it may or may not be. Time will tell if anyone goes to court instead of paying fine. If I was acting the maggot I would expect to get a fine but not if I was going 500meters down the road to the recycling centre.

You haven't shown anything, you're just expressing opinions so far.

Either have you, I just showed your list is incomplete.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The key question is (or should be) - are trips to the amenity centre essential?

I guess, as outlined above, that if you need to dispose of a bag of stinking rotten household waste that would be essential but maybe getting rid of your empties could wait a few weeks.

I guess, as outlined above, that if you need to dispose of a bag of stinking rotten household waste that would be essential but maybe getting rid of your empties could wait a few weeks.

I think that's a fair assumption

I also have difficulty with the second part, gardai can say its not necessary but until proven in court it may or may not be. Time will tell if anyone goes to court instead of paying fine. If I was acting the maggot I would expect to get a fine but not if I was going 500meters down the road to the recycling centre.

Frankly I would be shocked if I was fined for going to the recycling centre but I don't think I would be because I would turn back if directed to do so.

That doesn't mean the direction of the Garda was correct which is what we are trying to establish.

Either have you, I just showed your list is incomplete.

Again, you haven't shown anything. Please at least try and back up your opinion. Find something that says domestic recycling is a valid reason to leave your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

Eh, I think the fact that recycling centres are open means it's reasonable to believe you are allowed to use them. Like anything else, only one person should be going there, which used to annoy me about going to the supermarket and seeing entire families out for the occasion, but in fairness, I haven't seen much of that lately.

• Advertisement

This might shed some light.

I just picked it at random from Kilkenny Co Co.

While it doesn't say it is ok to go to reycling centres it certainly implies that it is and gives guidelines.

https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSSLatestNewsAndAnnouncements/Dunmore-Civic-Amenity-Site-is-operating-as-an-essential-service-under-Level-5-Covid-19-Restrictions.76712.shortcut.html

Dunmore Civic Amenity Site is open from today Monday 4th January as an essential service under level 5 COVID-19 restrictions.

The site is currently open from 8.00am to 4.30pm (open through lunch) Monday to Friday and 8am to 12 noon on Saturdays.

This means as an essential service, we will only accept essential waste at the site i.e. household waste that might become a nuisance because of smell or attract vermin, food waste and household recycling. That said if you do have space to store your dry recyclables please do so in order to cut down your visits to the site.

Advertisement