Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you been fined and will you pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

See there's an odd one.

If he rams the recycling into the grey bin, and there's a lot of it, he can cop extra charges.

Does being extorted create an essential journey?

A few weeks ago I had my NCT, as I always do I drove to my mate's brother near Newry for the servicing beforehand.

Reason being chain garages in Dublin are inherently untrustworthy, I'd only attend them if the car is in danger of doing further damage to itself. Like any chain store they have sales targets, performance evaluations on staff, aggressive selling.

Was I justified in driving North because the Republic doesn't have any sort of inspection watchdog that goes after unscrupulous mechanics? All up I got a full service and two brake pads replaced for 220 quid- in Dublin you can pay 100 quid for a go on the diagnostic machine alone.

those would not count as essential journeys no .
    there are other options available then taking those journeys, however you simply don't like those options (which of itself is perfectly fine)
    this means ultimately you are choosing to take those journeys to avoid the other options available so could not be classed as essential.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

What?

The government has cut me from circa 800- 950 per week take home to 350 per week take home this month by leaving the airports open (from March in general, over Christmas in particular). You think I should stay out of the North because "we're all in this together"? You think I should part with an extra 200- 300 because of the negligible risk of catching Covid up there?

Car maintenance is an essential trip. It isn't my problem the government leaves the trade unregulated and therefore I had to travel for it.

You think everything is the government's fault for not closing the airports before anyone knew how serious it was, while you also think freely crossing the land border we have with one of the most infected countries on the planet has no impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

As per the governments website which lists essential services during level 5. Recycling centres are listed.
    You have every right to go to the recycling centre as it IS classed as essential.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

Electricity, gas, water, sewage and waste management
    The following services relating to electricity, gas, water, sewage and waste management:

the generation, transmission, supply and distribution of electric power
    the extraction and distribution of gas and decommissioning activities in relation to offshore gas field facilities
    the collection, treatment and supply of water
    the collection, treatment and disposal of sewage or wastewater
    the collection of waste, remediation activities and other waste management treatment and disposal activities (including the operation of landfill sites, waste transfer stations, waste processing centres and recycling facilities or waste recovery)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How about you start from the other end - everyone is required to stay home unless you actually need to go out.

You wanted to go to the recycling centre - did you need to go to the recycling centre? I'm willing to bet no.

Did the two of you need to go to the recycling centre? Definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Phoebas wrote: »
    You made an non essential journey and you got caught and told to turn back.
    That's just the rules being enforced as designed.

While it might seem a bit excessive in your case, doing recycling is not essential.
    No point in having restrictions at all if we all put whatever interpretations we want on them.

Whatever about going to the recycling centre, taking the Mrs for a trip out, just for the laugh, was probably the part the guards had a problem with.

• Advertisement

Whatever about going to the recycling centre, taking the Mrs for a trip out, just for the laugh, was probably the part the guards had a problem with.

Yeah, if they said they were going to the local takeaway they would have been waved through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Jimjay wrote: »
    As per the governments website which lists essential services during level 5. Recycling centres are listed.
    You have every right to go to the recycling centre as it IS classed as essential.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

Electricity, gas, water, sewage and waste management
    The following services relating to electricity, gas, water, sewage and waste management:

the generation, transmission, supply and distribution of electric power
    the extraction and distribution of gas and decommissioning activities in relation to offshore gas field facilities
    the collection, treatment and supply of water
    the collection, treatment and disposal of sewage or wastewater
    the collection of waste, remediation activities and other waste management treatment and disposal activities (including the operation of landfill sites, waste transfer stations, waste processing centres and recycling facilities or waste recovery)

That doesn't say anything about recycling being allowed. It refers to running a recycling centre, an entirely different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I get that you’re being edgy, but that’s the attitude of a dope. Setting a random date and deciding you’re going to stop doing your bit for everyone.

The more people who take the dopey approach you’re outlining, the longer the restrictions will go on.

Hopefully the legislation will keep up with people’s behaviour and the Gardai will be able to deal with people who flout the rules.

The vast majority of us have kept to the rules so far.

The only reason why the Gardai can enforce the rules is because the vast majority of people accept them.

Once the rest of Europe is opening up in April and we havent even vaccinated the over 70s people will be fed up and give up on the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

To be fair, where is anyone supposed to put a month or mores worth of junk about their house if they don't have a bin service?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Calling John Waters and Gemma o Doherty...

You could probably add Ben Gilroy to that. He's put up 3 videos on Facebook in the past week advertising that he's driven from Navan to Dublin without a valid reason. It'd be like getting blood from a stone getting him to pay the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

See there's an odd one.

If he rams the recycling into the grey bin, and there's a lot of it, he can cop extra charges.

Does being extorted create an essential journey?

A few weeks ago I had my NCT, as I always do I drove to my mate's brother near Newry for the servicing beforehand.

Reason being chain garages in Dublin are inherently untrustworthy, I'd only attend them if the car is in danger of doing further damage to itself. Like any chain store they have sales targets, performance evaluations on staff, aggressive selling.

Was I justified in driving North because the Republic doesn't have any sort of inspection watchdog that goes after unscrupulous mechanics? All up I got a full service and two brake pads replaced for 220 quid- in Dublin you can pay 100 quid for a go on the diagnostic machine alone.

There isnt much hope for you if you cant find 1 honest mechanic in Dublin, a city with a population of 500,000 lol. you dont need a chain garage, a 1 man garage could do a service for you and fix your car. driving all the way to newry for a garage, talk about paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 marcuslally2

No, not been fined. But hopeful that the majority of the cyclists out at at the weekends breaking the 5km get penalised.

That doesn't say anything about recycling being allowed. It refers to running a recycling centre, an entirely different thing.

Go to any councils website and you will see that they all say their recycling centres are open as they are an essential service. They just ask people only bring day to day household recycling.

Eg: https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/waste-and-recycling/recycling-centres-and-transfer-stations/

Our Wicklow Co Co facebook page posts regularly that their recyling centres are open as normal (with COVID guidelines)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

While it might seem a bit excessive in your case, doing recycling is not essential.
    No point in having restrictions at all if we all put whatever interpretations we want on them.

Waste management is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

What?

The government has cut me from circa 800- 950 per week take home to 350 per week take home this month by leaving the airports open (from March in general, over Christmas in particular). You think I should stay out of the North because "we're all in this together"? You think I should part with an extra 200- 300 because of the negligible risk of catching Covid up there?

Car maintenance is an essential trip. It isn't my problem the government leaves the trade unregulated and therefore I had to travel for it.

I remember seeing the Gardai visiting the local shopping centre before Xmas to make sure people were keeping to the rules. Up in Dublin airport people were flying in from all over the world. What a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I use the bus dart and luas to get around. Nobody is checking where I am going or stopping me on the street looking for my papers.
    I visit friends for chats watch movies and drink a few cans or I meet women on dating apps for coffees or a romantic night in.
    I reckon a lot of people are doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Bringing the wife because she was stuck at home isn't. We could all use that excuse for going on a trip.

One person can easily take a car load to a recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Using it as an excuse to get out of the house for a while with the missus isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I remember seeing the Gardai visiting the local shopping centre before Xmas to make sure people were keeping to the rules. Up in Dublin airport people were flying in from all over the world. What a joke.

Whataboutery.

I’m not allowed to have people collect orders from outside my shop door but the queue for the takeaway next door can hang out outside my door all day long.

I’m not saying I should be allowed to open - I’m more wondering why takeaways are classed as essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

No, not been fined. But hopeful that the majority of the cyclists out at at the weekends breaking the 5km get penalised.

Yeah its a well known fact thst lone cyclists have caused thousands and thousands and thousands probably millions of covid19 cases......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

secman wrote: »
    Yeah its a well known fact thst lone cyclists have caused thousands and thousands and thousands probably millions of covid19 cases......

Maybe not but they pass my house in groups ranging from 4 to 12 and they travelled well over 5km to get where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

laoisgem wrote: »
    Using it as an excuse to get out of the house for a while with the missus isn't!

So he used the wrong excuse is what you're saying? If he said he was going to the chemist he wouldve go the all clear. Regardless of where he was going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

While I would like to think that it's only recycling and there's no harm, anyone can use that excuse with empty bottles and cans in the back seat of the car but open the boot and they might have the real cans and bottles for a party.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So he used the wrong excuse is what you're saying? If he said he was going to the chemist he wouldve go the all clear. Regardless of where he was going.

Eh no! One person from one household, why would he need to be chaperoned by the missus to go to the chemist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeah its a well known fact that lone cyclists have caused thousands and thousands and thousands probably millions of covid19 cases......

I heard cyclists started the 1918 Spanish flu.... Plus Mary Mallon, the Typhoid lady was the first cyclist to pass Typhoid onto others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 marcuslally2

Indeed. And what's more amazing is the level of expertise on the transmission of an airborne virus among the cycling population. Much more so that those experts advising to limit and curtail unnecessary journeys, experts who have been studying their field for years.

But sure we're sick of experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

laoisgem wrote: »
    Eh no! One person from one household, why would he need to be chaperoned by the missus to go to the chemist?

Missus might need to see the chemist and can't drive.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Missus might need to see the chemist and can't drive.

I suppose the missus doesn't have a phone either :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The vast majority of us have kept to the rules so far.

The only reason why the Gardai can enforce the rules is because the vast majority of people accept them.

Once the rest of Europe is opening up in April and we havent even vaccinated the over 70s people will be fed up and give up on the rules.

Well yeah. Tacit consent Is the only reason the government has any real authority at all. That goes for everything, not just covid rules.

Look, you find out who can be relied upon in an emergency. Some people will be cool and steady and hold the line for the greater good, and others will p1ss themselves and run away. You’re saying you’ll run away instead of doing your bit for the community and for the country.

If then scenario you suggest above actually occurs, then the government would have serious questions to answer and I think they would be rightly discarded at the next election. But are you seriously telling me, that without even having the over 70s vaccinated, you’d go back to normal and flout the rules?

I mean, you reveal yourself by your actions rather than your words, but I honestly think you’re better than you’re saying you are.

Advertisement