Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wibbs wrote: »
    That sounds odd? Can a standard test determine the level of virus in the system/how infectious a person is? I thought it was just a positive/negative result.

Yes they can, amount of cycles the PCR test had to be run before test came back positive, less cycles, higher load. Was reading that hospitals in the US are using this as a crude measurement of who is likely to degenerate faster - less cycles -> higher viral load -> higher probability of getting more sick.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

snowcat wrote: »
    GP's have been hiding away for the last year. Its ridiculous they were prioritised for vaccination. its been impossible to see a GP face to face for the last year. They have been cleaning up referring everyone with a cough for a Covid test after a 5 minute phone consultation. They should be embarassed that they were vaccinated before real frontline workers like paramedics and pharmacy staff and indeed shop workers.

Dont know your GP but you can’t speak for mine . She has seen patients throughout and been thorough and wonderful
    I will cheer when she gets the vaccine and might have the confidence to see her parents again .

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

GP's have been hiding away for the last year. Its ridiculous they were prioritised for vaccination. its been impossible to see a GP face to face for the last year. They have been cleaning up referring everyone with a cough for a Covid test after a 5 minute phone consultation. They should be embarassed that they were vaccinated before real frontline workers like paramedics and pharmacy staff and indeed shop workers.

GP colleagues are on the frontline, if they shut their doors or not. It's GPs and Pharmacists that will get this done, as we always do. I wouldn't begrudge a GP a vaccine at all.

I find it crazy however that pharmacists found out we're vaccinating but haven't heard a word on when us and our Pharmacy colleagues are being vaccinated ourselves.

I hope we don't get ourselves into a situation where Pharmacists are out vaccinating in between dose 1&2. It's disgraceful tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Tested positive. I've blocked sinus and headache. Also lost the ability to smell and taste. But feeling okay

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just to add I'm using this as an opportunity to eat all the healthy food I usually avoid because it tastes like sh1te.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

What an incredibly ridiculous statement to make. Clearly you have no idea of the effort GPs are putting in. They are dealing with sick people every single day and are still providing face to face consultations in full PPE with strict adherence to the safety guidelines. Please try to remember that there are so many other illnesses and conditions to deal with as well as the pandemic.

Obviously the vast majority of their COVID consultations and referrals are done by telephone as this is a strict requirement and in line with best practice. That is not to say that COVID+ patients havn't been attending their GP....this is often due to the fact that they are unaware they have the virus or they are ignorant of the regulations.

I am so grateful to the effort my GP has put in to caring for my family during this difficult time. The GPs, and all frontline workers, have been a credit to their profession throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Daughter (mildly asmathic) tested positive today she was feeling ropey over the weekend but says she is fine now, no symptoms myself yet. Just the two of us here

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Not so for my GP, I unfortunately had some non covid related health issues ongoing for the past few months and have been hospitalised several times (my body has really bad timing!) but my GP has been fantastic.

I've been seen face to face many times when it's been necessary by both GP and practice nurse e.g for bloods, examinations, certain treatments that have to be done in person, this on top of brilliant support and follow up by phone too when I've needed it.

I would actually like to see an element of phone consultations remain after this because sometimes that's all you need. Obviously they don't suit all ailments but I've been seen when needed and they've really looked after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You need a new GP. Mine is working as usual and seeing patients all day six days a week. We needed an appointment last week, phoned at 8.30am and saw him at 10.10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I was thinking;

It'd be great if those who recovered back to 100% (or close) could post their thoughts in this thread too

I know some have already, but I think those who are back in action after getting it are less likely to have the time to come back to this thread.

They're more likely to be busy again with their jobs etc

Whereas those still with symptoms have more time to post here and it might skew the severity of the situation

Hope that makes sense

We need more positivity right now. (In the "hope" sense of the word, not in the "I tested positive" sense ;-) )

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I was thinking;

It'd be great if those who recovered back to 100% (or close) could post their thoughts in this thread too

I know some have already, but I think those who are back in action after getting it are less likely to have the time to come back to this thread.

Whereas those still with symptoms have more time to post here and it might skew the severity of the situation

Hope that makes sense

We need more positivity right now. (In the "hope" sense of the word, not in the "I tested positive" sense ;-) )

A family member tested positive in December , young with underlying condition .They were quite sick but not hospitalised and now doing well and feeling so much better and back to walking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

I was thinking;

Hope that makes sense

Tested positive in October, along with my 81 year old grandmother, and both of us are back to 100%. No long term issues that we're aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

For Background. 54 year old male.
    Ran 7 marathons last year and 85 in total. Run ~ 50miles/week
    Had an angiram done on the heart April 2019 came back perfect and if any thing suffered from low blood pressure.

Tested Positive 22 December. Mild Symptoms loss of smell/taste high temperature bad enough cough. 3 Days with symptoms but in hindsight that was the easy bit.
    Had fatigue for 2 weeks where I would have to go to bed in the late afternoon. Started to get dizzy spells as well a couple of days after the fever broke. Blood Pressure was close to calling an ambulance a couple of times. Resting Heart Rate was elevated by 20-30BPM. Can see how people who contract covid are getting strokes or heart attacks.

Was with the GP today Heart Rate is back near normal and a 30 min ecg showed nothing. My blood pressure is still high so will be getting a 24 Hour Test done.

I suspect I wont get back to normal activity for anther few weeks. I would advise anyone who gets covid to get a full check done with their GP even if they feel well.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Question in relation to GPs.
    I tested positive yesterday morning less than 24 hours after test, call within 40 mins from contact tracers. Extremely efficient.

I have yet to have any follow up call from my GP. Is this the norm or have those who tested positive been in contact (regularly or once off) with their GP (who presumably referred them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Can I ask how long the covid illness payment took to arrange? I’m not sure if I missed a step while applying as there was nowhere to upload proof of diagnosis. Did I miss something or will they send me a link or something to provide it? The last thing I need on top of being unwell is being extra broke too. Thanks all.

danois wrote: »
    Can I ask how long the covid illness payment took to arrange? I’m not sure if I missed a step while applying as there was nowhere to upload proof of diagnosis. Did I miss something or will they send me a link or something to provide it? The last thing I need on top of being unwell is being extra broke too. Thanks all.

It was delayed for a member of my family
    After hours on hold on the phone they told her to e mail a screen shot of the HSE text
    There was no mention of it when applying online

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was thinking;

Hope that makes sense

The deceased people are also less likely to post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

danois wrote: »

Send on a screenshot of your text from the HSE to either IllnessBenefit@welfare.ie or illnessenquiry@welfare.ie inclusive of your PPSN.

It's fairly mad at the moment there with the sheer amount of claims but you will receive payment, it might just take a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

frink wrote: »
    Question in relation to GPs.
    I tested positive yesterday morning less than 24 hours after test, call within 40 mins from contact tracers. Extremely efficient.

I have yet to have any follow up call from my GP. Is this the norm or have those who tested positive been in contact (regularly or once off) with their GP (who presumably referred them)

No, my GP didn't call me and I wasn't expecting them to really. I ended up contacting them though for a cert for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Necro wrote: »
    Send on a screenshot of your text from the HSE to either IllnessBenefit@welfare.ie or illnessenquiry@welfare.ie inclusive of your PPSN.

It's fairly mad at the moment there with the sheer amount of claims but you will receive payment, it might just take a week or so

I got mine within a week even though I emailed them after two days to cancel my request. There was a mix-up in work and I didn't know they were paying me in full so now I have to return said money!

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    The deceased people are also less likely to post.

What sort of a response is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Well lads I'm finally on the way home, on the train from Málaga to Sevilla. I tested positive on the 2nd of Jan having had symptoms the 26th and 27th of December.

I tried again in the bons in Tralee the 13th of Jan and tested positive again but they rang me up and said the virus was very weak in my body and I'm not contagious and to come back again next week.

Of course me being me I panicked and saw that the Lamp was less sensitive than the PCR and went up to Cork to do It with RocDoc. Tested positive with that and the swab was extremely quick also received a phone call saying I was positive and they didn't get into the nitty gritty details like the bons in Tralee. I had the sensation with the quickness that I got the results back that they just fired it into a machine and any slight virus material they just tested you positive.

Anyways on the train down my mum said why don't you try the bons again tomorrow morning. Went in tested negative and got on the plane yesterday. I had no symptoms thankfully since the 26 and 27th. I guess the point of my post is to avoid rocdoc if you can and go to a place where they have their own lab and a doctor has the last say on your test.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Well lads I'm finally on the way home, on the train from Málaga to Sevilla. I tested positive on the 2nd of Jan having had symptoms the 26th and 27th of December.

I tried again in the bons in Tralee the 13th of Jan and tested positive again but they rang me up and said the virus was very weak in my body and I'm not contagious and to come back again next week.

Of course me being me I panicked and saw that the Lamp was less sensitive than the PCR and went up to Cork to do It with RocDoc. Tested positive with that and the swab was extremely quick also received a phone call saying I was positive and they didn't get into the nitty gritty details like the bons in Tralee. I had the sensation with the quickness that I got the results back that they just fired it into a machine and any slight virus material they just tested you positive.

Anyways on the train down my mum said why don't you try the bons again tomorrow morning. Went in tested negative and got on the plane yesterday. I had no symptoms thankfully since the 26 and 27th. I guess the point of my post is to avoid rocdoc if you can and go to a place where they have their own lab and a doctor has the last say on your test.

Wife is waiting on test results today, has all the symptoms, no smell, taste, small cough

Our GP said its more than likely Covid as no flu or colds around and most are testing positive from her referrals

Been reading up on Covid and asking questions last few days and how can the GP come to that conclusion?

Positivity is 10% right now?

2000 positives out 20,000 tests

Only people with symptoms being tested, so those 18,000 must have some kind of flu or cold if they have symptoms, that means cold and flu is around?

She has a 1 in 10 chance of being positive pure number wise?

Itsaduck1 wrote: »
    Wife is waiting on test results today, has all the symptoms, no smell, taste, small cough

Our GP said its more than likely Covid as no flu or colds around and most are testing positive from her referrals

Been reading up on Covid and asking questions last few days and how can the GP come to that conclusion?

Only people with symptoms being tested, so those 18,000 must have some kind of flu or cold if they have symptoms, that means cold and flu is around?

I'd say the cold is definitely around alright, a high number of those 18,000 might be false negatives as well. I can't believe we don't have a better method than the PCRs, my spanish doctor said that it's better to use a serología test, with the PCR, i think that's a serology test in English. It checks if your infection is active or not i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Well lads I'm finally on the way home, on the train from Mga to Sevilla. I tested positive on the 2nd of Jan having had symptoms the 26th and 27th of December.

Reads more to me like "go get a couple of different tests in different places and pick the result that suits your needs best"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There are lots of other people being tested - people in hospitals, workers in hospitals, private tests, private tests for travel and I think they've reintroduced some of the contact testing and routine testing of vulnerable places.

When we were really only testing symptomatic people the numbers rose to 1in4 positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I'd say the cold is definitely around alright, a high number of those 18,000 might be false negatives as well. I can't believe we don't have a better method than the PCRs, my spanish doctor said that it's better to use a serología test, with the PCR, i think that's a serology test in English. It checks if your infection is active or not i think.

There is definitely a cold doing the rounds, I’ve had it and tested negative. Colds and Flu are still around but either they are being less common due to social distancing. Masks etc. Or as was suggested somewhere some time ago triggering a positive Covid results and being mislabelled.

Mask etiquette isn’t helping, a lot including myself I must admit have used a mask over 2-3 days and thus probably doing more harm than good. I’m in hospital (non Covid) at the moment and taking it a lot more seriously, proper mask at all times changed daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What sort of a response is that?
    Poster was apparently concerned at an incomplete picture skewing the data to make the disease seem more serious than it is (due to a cohort of people for whom covid apparently has had the effect that not only are they fine now, they have also become so productive that they're not posting on boards) - I was just pointing out some other missing data. Obviously I would hope no boardsies have died of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭snowcat

There is definitely another cold/flu around because i have it and all my family too. We have been tested and negative. Its not severe, typical cold flu symptoms. Wife is reporting a changed sense of taste but has tested neg. 2-3 weeks now with symptoms. There is no way 20k people are being tested daily with no symptoms.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    Reads more to me like "go get a couple of different tests in different places and pick the result that suits your needs best"

Do you work for rocdoc? Well i was told by my irish doctor and spanish doctor that i was not contagious anymore after finishing my isolation period but you can still test positive for weeks. I did test negative though so happy days.

Advertisement