Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

brookers wrote: »
    how do the staff feel about that. I work in a public office and we feel mgt dont give a hoot about us, all on top of each other etc, some of the younger staff dont even believe in covid.

Annoyed as you would expect as they can and have worked from home with no issues, my sister works in a different public service and it is night and day between how they are ran, hers has 90% of staff working from home and only one person allowed in any of the offices each day.

The biggest issue for both were staff coming in before Christmas who were close contacts and not self isolating and others not wanting to get the test and being asymptomatic or worse actually coming in sick and having to be told to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Xenji wrote: »
    My other half tested positive last week after a large outbreak in a public office, so far besides a mild headache and a total loss of taste and smell she has not been too bad.

I would of been in close contact with her right up till the day she was tested as they arranged for the whole office to be tested in the afternoon only after making them aware of the need that morning.

So 4 days after her positive result I was tested as well but it came back negative, I was fully convinced I would be positive but I had heard plenty of stories of people in the same household and even sharing the same bed not getting it.

Puts the whole social distancing in question, no?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

uli84 wrote: »
    No, because cases quite clearly go down when social distancing measures are in place.

It does seem that some people appear to be immune to the virus, either because they've already been exposed and cleared it, or because of immunity arising from a previous viral infection in their lives. The latter would explain much, even the variability in symptoms reported.

The problem remains that a percentage of the population suffer much stronger symptoms which can lead to death or longer term damage that we're still not clear about. This includes younger people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

uli84 wrote: »

No social distancing is still needed as I know of a family of four all being infected by a cousin who had just popped in for an hour. He then tested positive after being deemed a close contact of theirs but he was the only person they had met and he was asymptomatic through the whole thing.

Wibbs has made a very good post above that I would echo as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Phil.x wrote: »
    High temp, stiff/strained eyes, lower back pain, loss of smell and taste, all lasted two to three days but 14 days after symptoms I still cannot smell or taste and it sometimes feels like a have something lodged in my throat.

Just a follow up. Phoned the gp today to tell of the loss of smell and taste also the flem I cannot get out. Morale of the story is I'm €96 out of pocket!!, I f'ing knew I should of listened to my inner voice. I'm never ever going to a doctor again as long as I can help it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just a follow up. Phoned the gp today to tell of the loss of smell and taste also the flem I cannot get out. Morale of the story is I'm €96 out of pocket!!, I f'ing knew I should of listened to my inner voice. I'm never ever going to a doctor again as long as I can help it.
    €96 for a private test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Quackster wrote: »
    €96 for a private test?

No, for a gp phone call€60 and €36 from tablets.
    I had the hse covid test 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

Roughly a week since developing symptoms and I'm feeling a lot better. Thankfully I didn't really get a bad dose and bar some shortness of breath around day 2-3 it just felt like a moderate flu.

In saying that the waistline probably took a bit of a hit from living off McDonald's drive through for the past week lol.
    Why were you on the Luas yesterday then giving out to people for not wearing a mask??!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I have a pulse oximeter. Is there anything else worth having?

I've been thinking of getting and wearing compression socks. They can help with blood circulation, so I'm hoping it might help with the nasty side of blood clots.

Make sure pulse oximiter has CE mark. Alot of dodgy ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Inquitus wrote: »
    A neighbour a few doors down passed away from Covid yesterday, massive stroke brought on by Covid it seems, he was only in his late 50's I think, tragic, leaves a wife and kids behind. RIP

Covid is well known to cause a Stroke. It amazes me that the majority where I live still fail to social distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

No, for a gp phone call€60 and €36 from tablets.
    I had the hse covid test 2 weeks ago.

I'd you rang about Covid it's free, if you rang about something else then it's a standard charge. As for the tablets, it's your choice whether you buy them or not, not the doctors. If you don't want to spend €36 then don't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Random question for people that tested positive, or know someone that tested positive, without other people in the house being infected. Are the people that aren't infected smokers by any chance?
    I've read a few articles that basically say all the crap in a smoker's lungs can make it difficult for the virus to get a foothold. It's not peer reviewed or WHO advice, but it makes sense to me. It's not a hill I'd die on either, really just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Tested yesterday and got positive result this evening. Symptoms started Saturday, headache, mild fatigue, feverish, chills, muscle aches and sore sinuses, somewhere between a cold and a low grade flu.
    However tomorrow is only day 5 and I'm told the worst of it is usually day 5 to 10 so here's hoping not too bad.

Essential worker so almost 100% sure I picked it up there.

Live with my Mam who's in 60's and smokes - much more worried about her keeping as far away as possible. So far thankfully she has no symptoms. Been keeping myself totally isolated, meals left on landing windowsill and only leaving to collect those plus the bathroom.

Does anyone know if that Coivd isolation facility in citywest for those of use poor eejits who can't go anywhere else is still operational?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

derfderf wrote: »
    Random question for people that tested positive, or know someone that tested positive, without other people in the house being infected. Are the people that aren't infected smokers by any chance?
    I've read a few articles that basically say all the crap in a smoker's lungs can make it difficult for the virus to get a foothold. It's not peer reviewed or WHO advice, but it makes sense to me. It's not a hill I'd die on either, really just curious.

Two in my house tested negative after I got it, neither are smokers. My aunt and uncle had it, their son, a non smoker, tested negative

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

sdanseo wrote: »

Does anyone know if that Coivd isolation facility in citywest for those of use poor eejits who can't go anywhere else is still operational?

I read something in last few days that there are 300 staying there at the moment but I’m not sure where or if it was legit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I thought smokers would be more inclined to get it, seeing as thou they already have a cough usually and a weakend respiratory system.

Chest infections are a lot more common in smokers for example

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Positive test this morning. Called doctor with sinus headache and slight dizziness. Transpired I also had a temperature so was sent for a test. Had just finished my 14 days isolation for close contacts and I was sure that I would have tested positive in this period.

Headache has subsided already in the 2 days as well as the dizziness so hoping to be able to work from home later in the week.

No cough, chest pains, or fever anymore. Goes to show how wide ranging the symptoms are getting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sigh, being self-isolated is bad for your health and especially mental health.

Took to googling. I take a proton pump inhibitor which apparently at least doubles risk of severe outcomes. More to worry about & now absolutely terrified.

Gonna stop clicking on anything related to covid now. Suggest anyone in the same boat does the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Purple Papillon

Wibbs wrote: »
    No, because cases quite clearly go down when social distancing measures are in place.

It does seem that some people appear to be immune to the virus, either because they've already been exposed and cleared it, or because of immunity arising from a previous viral infection in their lives. The latter would explain much, even the variability in symptoms reported.

The problem remains that a percentage of the population suffer much stronger symptoms which can lead to death or longer term damage that we're still not clear about. This includes younger people.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly. Just after hearing of a local case, one member of the family infected with a slight illness and the rest of the family escaping and each of the family tested as close contacts and twice returning negative results.

I don't know if its previous immunity or if its a young adult naturally being socially distant from the family in her room. Also hygiene standards come into play. Some people are behaving responsibly and containing their germs with any slight cough or sneeze into their elbows. A year into this pandemic and other people still don't know what to do and some people are atrocious at not caring about others in their surroundings eg coughing into hands and not washing them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

derfderf wrote: »
    Since this anomaly came out early on in the pandemic and in every region this virus hit that smokers were under-reported in hospital admissions there have been a few hypothesises: Nicotine may have a protective effect as it has been shown to reduce cytokine storms in the lungs of mouse models, that it may block the receptors the virus latches onto, that it increases the level of ACE2 enzymes in the lung(which was originally thought to increase risk), or all of the above.

My notion for a long time now is that what SteelyDanJalapeno noted could be the difference:
    Chest infections are a lot more common in smokers for example
    They are, as are respiratory viral infections in general. Smokers catch more colds and flu than non smokers. For a start they're constantly touching their hands to their lips, so surface transmission is far more likely. So if there was a virus Bug X going around over the last ten years(10% of common colds are coronaviruses) that had an inoculation effect against covid - in the same way catching cowpox protects from smallpox - smokers(and more recent ex smokers) were way more likely to have caught Bug X, so are either fighting covid off before it becomes symptomatic, or suffering mild illness that doesn't require hospitalisation. This would also explain why if smokers do catch covid and do require hospitalisation they are more likely to die from it, which is what one would expect. They were the ones who didn't catch Bug X.

This would also explain the wide range of symptoms in the population at large. Not everybody gets the common cold going around at any one time. Those that caught Bug X have more protection than those who didn't, so are either asymptomatic, or have very mild symptoms. Those who didn't have to start from scratch and are more likely to have more severe illness. The elderly are less prone to common colds than the young so fewer of them might have caught Bug X. This would also explain households and other community living spaces where some catch it and others. even spouses sleeping in the same bed who don't.

TL;DR? The spread of covid started to look to me like the spread of a virus in a partially immunised population, with its very wide range of severity and with it's wide range of infectiousness. Remember many months ago when researchers reckoned that those nations that has TB vaccination drives until recent times had fewer cases and fewer death and maybe that immunisation was the difference? Well they spotted the same pattern in the population, but the TB thing seems to have come to naught, but IMHO Bug X is a strong possibility.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I don't know if its previous immunity or if its a young adult naturally being socially distant from the family in her room. Also hygiene standards come into play. Some people are behaving responsibly and containing their germs with any slight cough or sneeze into their elbows. A year into this pandemic and other people still don't know what to do and some people are atrocious at not caring about others in their surroundings eg coughing into hands and not washing them.
    Oh sure, but then you have many case where people have been very cautious, even living alone and having food delivered at a distance and still catching it, yet one or two active infections in the same house, sometimes in the same bed don't transmit it? It's very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

This is it wrote: »
    I'd you rang about Covid it's free, if you rang about something else then it's a standard charge. As for the tablets, it's your choice whether you buy them or not, not the doctors. If you don't want to spend €36 then don't get them.

GP's have been hiding away for the last year. Its ridiculous they were prioritised for vaccination. its been impossible to see a GP face to face for the last year. They have been cleaning up referring everyone with a cough for a Covid test after a 5 minute phone consultation. They should be embarassed that they were vaccinated before real frontline workers like paramedics and pharmacy staff and indeed shop workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Oh sure, but then you have many case where people have been very cautious, even living alone and having food delivered at a distance and still catching it, yet one or two active infections in the same house, sometimes in the same bed don't transmit it? It's very weird.

This is why they should have been testing for antibodies at the same time as testing for Covid. It would help to explain a lot of these anomalies as well as giving an indication of how many people are likely to have had Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Motivator wrote: »
    I had the same thing in December ‘19. My wife was working in Asia for November and December and came home two weeks before Christmas. It’s possibly just coincidence but I do think otherwise now. I felt rotten Christmas week and just got worse and worse. I got so bad I was taken to hospital with suspected meningitis and was kept in for a day while they ran all the necessary tests. The rules out meningitis early enough but couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me. They eventually put it down to a bad strain of influenza. My cousin is a GP and reckons there’s a good chance I had it. My wife wasn’t sick at all and neither were any family members.

It’s possible the virus was around Europe and Ireland well before Christmas and the first wave was mild and not as contagious but then what we saw in March and constantly since is the mutation and more serious and deadly strain or strains.

I wasn’t fully back to myself until probably February of last year. Whatever I had, Covid or no Covid, absolutely floored me to the point where I couldn’t walk 50 yards without totally gassing out. It took a good 5/6 weeks for me to get back to myself. Thankfully I haven’t tested positive for Covid yet and I’ve had probably 5 tests since March all negative thank god.

I'm convinced my Mother had it around late November 2019 up to mid December. She had most of the symptoms, shortness of breath, continuous cough, temperature etc and it took her a good 6/8 weeks to shake it off and was off work for around 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

snowcat wrote: »
    GP's have been hiding away for the last year. Its ridiculous they were prioritised for vaccination. its been impossible to see a GP face to face for the last year. They have been cleaning up referring everyone with a cough for a Covid test after a 5 minute phone consultation. They should be embarassed that they were vaccinated before real frontline workers like paramedics and pharmacy staff and indeed shop workers.

I can't talk for your doctor, or for doctors in general. However I know for a fact that the above does NOT apply to my doctor or his colleagues who continue to run a busy surgery and see people as necessary, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just tested positive for the 3rd time, I first had symptoms the 26th of december, was positive for the first time on the 2nd, did another test on the 13th and was told that I was positive but that the virus was very weak in my body and there was no need to isolate. Then today i did a lamp test with rocdoc and It came back positive, still not out of my system. They rang me and said for me to isolate, that surely can't be the case can it? I mean everyone so who went into isolation for 14 days after their 1st test and never got a re test should be all isolating for another 14 days. I rang my GP anyways to explain my situation to him. I feel great by the way, 26th and 27th i was under the weather alright.

I was positive but that the virus was very weak in my body and there was no need to isolate.
    That sounds odd? Can a standard test determine the level of virus in the system/how infectious a person is? I thought it was just a positive/negative result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

That sounds odd? Can a standard test determine the level of virus in the system/how infectious a person is? I thought it was just a positive/negative result.

Yeah according to the person that rang me it can. That was the bons in tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just tested positive for the 3rd time, I first had symptoms the 26th of december, was positive for the first time on the 2nd, did another test on the 13th and was told that I was positive but that the virus was very weak in my body and there was no need to isolate. Then today i did a lamp test with rocdoc and It came back positive, still not out of my system. They rang me and said for me to isolate, that surely can't be the case can it? I mean everyone so who went into isolation for 14 days after their 1st test and never got a re test should be all isolating for another 14 days. I rang my GP anyways to explain my situation to him. I feel great by the way, 26th and 27th i was under the weather alright.

What's a lamp test? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Had the test on Saturday got positive results Sunday. I was so surprised as I would have put money on just having a big standard head cold! My OH also positive. He had been ill but rang GP and was started on antibiotics for Sinus Infection. Turns out he had both covid and sinus infection. He’s been hit much worse than me. Hasn’t completely lost sense of taste but nothing tastes the same to him. He tried to have a cup of coffee and it tasted so bad he threw up! He’s kinda getting waves of just head cold symptoms and then waves of being much worse breathing difficult, awful cough, back pain, skin sore to the touch, complete exhaustion but not able to sleep and a constant headache. I seem to be the lucky one. I’ve a constant headache but it’s not unbearable. I’ve a runny nose and constant sneezing I’m exhausted and even walking to the bathroom has me wrecked.

2 kids in the house 18 and 20. So far no symptoms and they seem to be ok. Can’t know for sure as close contacts aren’t being tested. Fingers crossed they stay well.

Advertisement