Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have less cows per acre, should I still be in derogation. My advisor says yes but I'm not stocked that highly

Dero is above 1.9/ha now, are you above that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have less cows per acre, should I still be in derogation. My advisor says yes but I'm not stocked that highly

Did u come in under 170 kg organic n last year Kev ,if anywhere near it better off in ,before longbmost farmers will have to do most of what’s involved in dero anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mooooo wrote: »
    Dero is above 1.9/ha now, are you above that?

Just above

• Registered Users Posts: 29,246 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Changed the liners today. Don't like that job at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Changed the liners today. Don't like that job at all

I just do it every 2 years. Usually around april time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

straight wrote: »
    Do you mean change every two years or service man and yourself take turns every second year

Change yearly here after dry off in December

Do you mean change every two years or service man and yourself take turns every second year

DIY every second year. No problems.

How many rows ye milking? At 9 last year, need changing twice a year. Back up to 10 this year, will see after that what I'll do re' yard and numbers

How many rows ye milking? At 9 last year, need changing twice a year. Back up to 10 this year, will see after that what I'll do re' yard and numbers

Milk 12 rows at peak. Changed once a year here

• Advertisement

Milk 12 rows at peak. Changed once a year here

Changed in Jan 2 years ago, said I'd see how they go and liners started splitting in early Oct, so would be well passed it. Jan and June now roughly

Changed in Jan 2 years ago, said I'd see how they go and liners started splitting in early Oct, so would be well passed it. Jan and June now roughly

What make are they?

Dairymaster, maybe the level of hot washing may not help. Use serpent in final rinse but that shouldn't do anything to rubber ware

7.5 rows here

Must look in the morning what brand mine are. The ones I took off were Pearson but the ones I put on today were in a big box not packed in packs of 4

mahoney_j wrote: »
    7.5 rows here

7 rows I think is grand. If i was to get heifers and calves off the block I could possibly go to 180/ 190 which would be 8 rows in a 24 unit. Dunno would I want to be running up and down a 24 unit in 20 years tho

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Do ye pull up to the first notch at the start or just go straight to the second notch from the start?

Change every year here usually after the heifers are trained and then have to change an odd few throughout the year.
    Senior liners and pulled to the second notch from the start.

Do ye pull up to the first notch at the start or just go straight to the second notch from the start?

Change every year here usually after the heifers are trained and then have to change an odd few throughout the year.
    Senior liners and pulled to the second notch from the start.

Apparently the notches dont make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

What make are they?

Had been using fullwood liners, doing well to get 1500 milking out of them. Switched milk rite liners and changed at 3000 milking and no splits. Milk rite liners are about €200 a change cheaper. Will still change 3 times a year doing 12 rows.

Milking 6 rows here. I change all these things as needed as opposed to when recommended. Service man told me before you had to change all the milk tubes every 2 years or something.

• Advertisement

Sold 3 cull cows yesterday.
    720kg - 1050 euro,
    670kg - 890,
    725 kg - 930.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Using dairymaster 916S here, I never saw a split liner in my life. Change once a year at the start here.
    I was always told the second notch was not to be used at all, at any cost, completely verboten! ( it had some ancient, obscure, and now obsolete function).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Sold 3 cull cows yesterday.
    720kg - 1050 euro,
    670kg - 890,
    725 kg - 930.

Great prices, mart or factory?

Average size P+3+ kiwi cross 2 1/2 y old, ( 3 pap heifer and got mastitis a few times this year)
    Made 850 in factory.

Great prices, mart or factory?

Average size P+3+ kiwi cross 2 1/2 y old, ( 3 pap heifer and got mastitis a few times this year)
    Made 850 in factory.

Mart. I don't bother with the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Changing liners, pulsatuon tubes and diaphragm this year. First year in 3 pulsation and diaphragms

Are derogation farmers able to feed whatever protein ration they want up to April this year. Is the crude protein rule only for between april and September like last year?

Are derogation farmers able to feed whatever protein ration they want up to April this year. Is the crude protein rule only for between april and September like last year?

Its for the grazing season afaik. Ideally from a cow point of view total diet protein should be 16% so if cows are on silage or forage with low protein they'll need higher protein supplementation, cant see how they could enforce it really outside of those times of year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dairy sale in New Ross mart this Friday: https://www.facebook.com/141016896079994/posts/1711170302397971/?d=n

15 calved heifers
    2 calved cow's
    52 in calf heifers
    11 in calf cow's &
    15 maiden heifers.
    Please note this is an on line sale and bidding can be done using the LSL app. For more contact the office on 051421624.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tb test due by 28th Feb! Ffs what do they be thinking in the Department landing dates like that on spring calving farms. If I move it back to the end of March I know I'll be locked up for the month, but will I be able to sell calves under 6wks old anyone know?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Tb test due by 28th Feb! Ffs what do they be thinking in the Department landing dates like that on spring calving farms. If I move it back to the end of March I know I'll be locked up for the month, but will I be able to sell calves under 6wks old anyone know?

No, everything will be restricted if you go passed the date unless there is a covid related reason edit to say you could ask to go early maybe, end of Jan maybe?

Advertisement