Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Good news lads and lassies. Commodities supercycle is under way. Agri commodities are going to rocket. Our time is coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

straight wrote: »
    Good news lads and lassies. Commodities supercycle is under way. Agri commodities are going to rocket. Our time is coming soon.

When was the last commodities supercycle, i can't seem to remember it.

tanko wrote: »
    When was the last commodities supercycle, i can't seem to remember it.

1972. Another one started in 00 but was interrupted in 08. Recommencing in 2021. White gold is coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I remember the deadly serious article in some newspaper about 10yrs of how farming was hitting a huge boom cycle and farmers would be driving around in Lamborghinis etc, even had a photo of a farmer in one. About bloody time, still in my heap of crap 2grand 12yr old yoke here still lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

1972. Another one started in 00 but was interrupted in 08. Recommencing in 2021. White gold is coming back.

I doubt it, I think a global recession is far more likely, with low oil prices, which will increase milk out put in places, but again I could be completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I doubt it, I think a global recession is far more likely, with low oil prices, which will increase milk out put in places, but again I could be completely wrong.

Feed costs for a large portion of the worlds dairy herds have basically gone up 40% plus the past few months with commodities skyrocketing unless processors up the price to take account of this there will be a huge drop in milk supply worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Feed costs for a large portion of the worlds dairy herds have basically gone up 40% plus the past few months with commodities skyrocketing unless processors up the price to take account of this there will be a huge drop in milk supply worldwide

Yep, all depends on how it will pan out, a lot of chicken and egg variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »

That would be a good thing, drop in milk supply = milk price up
    Our grass based system will be to our advantage

Our time is coming. The women will be lining up for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,246 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our time is coming. The women will be lining up for us.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Will it though ???low cost grass based etc etc never delievers on price for the quality product we produce ,also nitrate restrictions ,cost of inputs like fertiliser ,fuel etc will also rise ,throw in poor weather ,poor grass growth and our position quickly eroded also most herds are feeding 800 kg plus I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Is that glass of yours always half empty! Great weather great growth, low feed bill. Only thing to worry about will be the tax bill next year and which women in the line to turn away!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Is that glass of yours always half empty! Great weather great growth, low feed bill. Only thing to worry about will be the tax bill next year and which women in the line to turn away!

Just watched seven brides for seven brothers. Time to get my act together!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Whats the going rate for angus out of a jex and an frx cow?

Thanks

Wildsurfer wrote: »

I’d be more of a realist ......this low cost grass based model ...I’ve never bought it ,it’s an advantage of such but totally overplayed land isn’t free and to get land humming takes lots of tlc in the form of reseeding and yearly mantinance of ph p k n etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Our grass based system will be to our milk processors advantage

edited that there for u

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

"Interesting" reaction on social media from other farmers regarding the IFG article headed "Dairy farmers at risk of burnout says ICMSA"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Birdnuts wrote: »
    "Interesting" reaction on social media from other farmers regarding the IFG article headed "Dairy farmers at risk of burnout says ICMSA"

I read that article in the paper - what was wrong with lads on social media?

I thought the article was mostly fairly standard stuff: consumer price, expansion, calf welfare, etc.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,231 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »

Any replies from dairy farmers?

Seems a lot of getting digs in on social media lately.

Had a look at the ifj article on Facebook. 18 replies, not one a dairy farmer.

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Whats the going rate for angus out of a jex and an frx cow?

Thanks

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭visatorro

Green&Red wrote:
    Anyone?

Calves?
    Once they're ok looking and black 150 @ 3-4 weeks. They seems to be a good demand atm. When big numbers of Calves hit marts they might be cheaper

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyone?

Don’t have experience of that exact cross but...I paid an average of €80 for 17 AA heifer calves last April and 5 of them were out of FRx cows

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

visatorro wrote: »
    Calves?
    Once they're ok looking and black 150 @ 3-4 weeks. They seems to be a good demand atm. When big numbers of Calves hit marts they might be cheaper

Cheers

first lady out looks like her mother of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mooooo wrote: »
    If they included a calving interval twud put a bit more behind the article

Yep and wether is 700 KGms sold or milk recorded 305 day figures ,average lactation of 5 and 700 kgms even of milk recorded is very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It is in fairness. Facilities can make a big difference, unfortunately in a lot of cases cows have to be there before everything can be up to scratch perfectly but shir everything takes time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,246 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Registered the first load of calves last night. 2 texts and a call from ncbc about 2 calves before 10am. They've really got their finger out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    Registered the first load of calves last night. 2 texts and a call from ncbc about 2 calves before 10am. They've really got their finger out.

Would the calves dams be standout cows in the top 5% on your milk recording results our would they be the average of the herd

Advertisement