Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Would the calves dams be standout cows in the top 5% on your milk recording results our would they be the average of the herd

Both calves out of Albert. One dam from a dovea bull. Ye they would be high ebi but not top 5%. Fertlity figure here would be very good. Both have calved under 365 days from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

visatorro wrote: »
    Calves?
    Once they're ok looking and black 150 @ 3-4 weeks. They seems to be a good demand atm. When big numbers of Calves hit marts they might be cheaper
    Don’t have experience of that exact cross but...I paid an average of €80 for 17 AA heifer calves last April and 5 of them were out of FRx cows

FWIW agreed a price of €100 for heifers, €150 for bulls, collected in the first week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Would anyone be selling FR or FRx heifer calves at this stage? Or when do people start to sell the ones they're not keeping for themselves?

I'll be looking for 25-30 heifer calves in about 4 weeks time. Ideally they'd be FR or FRx, but all breeding would also be considered if the price was right.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could be March depending on how numbers turn out for lads. Prob just have to keep an eye out really.

Green&Red wrote: »
    FWIW agreed a price of €100 for heifers, €150 for bulls, collected in the first week

Is it not 10 days before movement can be done and you need bvd results to do so .

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Registered the first load of calves last night. 2 texts and a call from ncbc about 2 calves before 10am. They've really got their finger out.

Have had 3 calls this morning about 1 of the calves. I assume the one test will suffice for all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Have had 3 calls this morning about 1 of the calves. I assume the one test will suffice for all of them

Ya, the tests go through the ncbc. Is it competing ai companies ringing?

straight wrote: »

I've had 3 calls from ncbc, and a text from dovea, along with texts from ncbc. I just said we'll get them tested and go from there. Busy enough here today, no need for the 3 calls from ncbc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

straight wrote: »
    Registered the first load of calves last night. 2 texts and a call from ncbc about 2 calves before 10am. They've really got their finger out.

I think you'll have to get an agent;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think you'll have to get an agent;)

Just got another call there from ncbc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I've had 3 calls from ncbc, and a text from dovea, along with texts from ncbc. I just said we'll get them tested and go from there. Busy enough here today, no need for the 3 calls from ncbc.

You pick whichever Ai company you want to go with fill in there contract send the sample and wait and see what comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

New ICBF proofs out today. No real movers and shakers... Glad to see fr5599 rebound a bit. Finally a Red Ho bull that has somewhat respectable milk figures and EBIðŸ˜

jd_12345 wrote: »
    New ICBF proofs out today. No real movers and shakers... Glad to see fr5599 rebound a bit. Finally a Red Ho bull that has somewhat respectable milk figures and EBIðŸ˜

Looking at few bulls on the dairy side reliability of some up more down ,hard to fathom.on the reds I’d be more going on country of origin figures hats get a good commercial one ,rager red and coonan red 2 I’ve used

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would anyone be selling FR or FRx heifer calves at this stage? Or when do people start to sell the ones they're not keeping for themselves?

I'll be looking for 25-30 heifer calves in about 4 weeks time. Ideally they'd be FR or FRx, but all breeding would also be considered if the price was right.

If I have any surplus, I'll give u a buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

My price would be right, for me ;)

My price would be right, for me ;)

We might meet in the middle and then we'd both be equally disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

We might meet in the middle and then we'd both be equally disappointed!

Could be looking at paying 350 at least for calves this year imo
    We sold them for that last year, ranged from 2 wks to 4 wks old
    Doubt they'll be sold for less unless market changes alot in the mean time

Could be looking at paying 350 at least for calves this year imo
    We sold them for that last year, ranged from 2 wks to 4 wks old
    Doubt they'll be sold for less unless market changes alot in the mean time

I don't think the market has changed that much since then so you're probably in the ballpark figure there alright.

But to be honest, €300 would be my very upper limit.

It's not that I'm trying to squeeze an extra €50 out of it for myself, but more it being too much of a risk on a young animal when I'm still learning how to look after them.

Maybe I'll end up with all €80 AAx heifer calves again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

€2K plus for nice calved heifers in Ballybay on Marteye now.

tanko wrote: »
    €2K plus for nice calved heifers in Ballybay on Marteye now.

Out of interest, did they have a calf at foot? And if so, was it a FR heifer calf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Out of interest, did they have a calf at foot? And if so, was it a FR heifer calf?

No calves with them, just the heifer, top price of €2,800 i think, was some around €2,200 -€2,500 mark. Lesser quality €1500 - €1700.

Would those prices be similar down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

What's going on in the market atm? Is it new entrants driving everything mad.? Just said to a few fellas I was selling 10 calves as I probably have too much and now I've people ringing me like mad. Don't know if I should keep them for 6 months or sell them now

blackdog1 wrote: »
    What's going on in the market atm? Is it new entrants driving everything mad.? Just said to a few fellas I was selling 10 calves as I probably have too much and now I've people ringing me like mad. Don't know if I should keep them for 6 months or sell them now

Market for dairy stock will stay v hot as thankfully still new entrants coming in and lads expanding then throw in that Tegasc last year pushing more beef and less Fr straws .maiden heifers that tick all the boxes are making 950/1000 now .....madness but ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Market for dairy stock will stay v hot as thankfully still new entrants coming in and lads expanding then throw in that Tegasc last year pushing more beef and less Fr straws .maiden heifers that tick all the boxes are making 950/1000 now .....madness but ....

I've 2 second calvers here. They lost their calves at 6 and 7 months. Blood tested and found to be just one of those things. They are both cycling every 3 weeks. 3 years old and 1 year of milking under their belt. They must be worth 1000 euro anyway seeing as they are proven and milk recorded, etc. Will have to throw them on done deal or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I wonder are lads looking to keep sr's high in case a reference year gets brought into the equation

Mooooo wrote: »
    I wonder are lads looking to keep sr's high in case a reference year gets brought into the equation

Possibly I know it’s at back of my mind but lack of stock and demand is main driver ....poteinrally v strong year ahead on milk price too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I don't think the market has changed that much since then so you're probably in the ballpark figure there alright.

But to be honest, €300 would be my very upper limit.

It's not that I'm trying to squeeze an extra €50 out of it for myself, but more it being too much of a risk on a young animal when I'm still learning how to look after them.

Maybe I'll end up with all €80 AAx heifer calves again!

You will get the later April born calves for a lot less in Bandon mart but they’re cheap for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Is it not 10 days before movement can be done and you need bvd results to do so .

Calves can go at any time once their naval is healed, the journey is less than 100km and the BVD sample is cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Green&Red wrote: »
    Calves can go at any time once their naval is healed, the journey is less than 100km and the BVD sample is cleared

You need to apply for a special movement permit if moving before 10 days

No need to move calves younger than 14 days imo

• Advertisement

You will get the later April born calves for a lot less in Bandon mart but they’re cheap for a reason

Didn't plan it but will have a research trial for this in the coming months.

I bought 20 weanling dairy heifers (10 BF and 10 xbred) last September when the plan was to go milking. I'll be trying to put them in calf thru AI first and then a second chance with a bull for another while.

I paid an average price for them all, not one price for the BF and another for the xbred. It's only when I got the blue cards I realised some were Feb born and some were April born. They're all doing OK, but there's some who you could pick out as April born still.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference in the conception rates between the Feb and April born ones. As well as an difference between the BF and xbred ones.

Advertisement