Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

We've get a crypto at some stage every year. As well as the rehydration we find sulpha powders work 99% of the time, we've only ever lost 1 calf.
    In an odd chronic case we found Tylosin helped too, but it's not a drug you would want to be using much of, afaik it's in the restricted categories of antibiotics?
    We found halocur to be as severe on the young calf as the disease, but we used to follow the label, I've heard since of different dosage amounts and regimes that seem to ameliorate the side effects.
    Above all we found hygiene to be key, removal after calving, and after that calf comfort, space and deep deep straw bedding for warmth.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

stanflt wrote: »
    Vet rang last night to say sample I dropped off was positive for crypto- calf not sick and drinking properly just very loose- should I go with halicur on everything or wait

Oh and happy birthday whelan

Had you not mentioned you were using multimin and it was helping calves

Could be wrong too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Wrong cow type...

Not really.....their cows are in top % of Ebi too. they compared their system ( 1.3 tonnes meal fed, 93-95% of it grass , stocking rate of 2.4ha i think) vs a highly efficient low input herd( 2.75 ha stoking rate, 350 kg meal fed).

they took 3 years and compared them but left out 2018.... both systems had the same profitability but the higher fed system has lower emissions. also they did a comparison on both systems if derogation went and there was quite a large difference in profit there. talked about risk of variable feed prices in moderate input system but didn't mention 2018 so no talk of risk on the lo cost system in extreme weather conditions, which was a pity.

also I found it interesting that the native 12% nut was cheaper and preformed as well as the non native nuts at 12-18% protein while cows were on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Had you not mentioned you were using multimin and it was helping calves

Could be wrong too

Update- took dung samples from 5 calves at random this morning- aged from 4 to 50 days and only 1 had diarrhoea- all calves heathy -,every calve tested positive for crypto but none sick- a combination of good hygiene and proper nutrition is keeping it at bay
    Torn between using halicur or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Update- took dung samples from 5 calves at random this morning- aged from 4 to 50 days and only 1 had diarrhoea- all calves heathy -,every calve tested positive for crypto but none sick- a combination of good hygiene and proper nutrition is keeping it at bay

I guess the issue is being at the start if the spring season is it too much of a risk not to when things get busier. Have ye the space to have shed(s) cleaned out disinfected and dry in Feb/ March? In order to break any further possible of build up or if calf health was to go the wrong way?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    I guess the issue is being at the start if the spring season is it too much of a risk not to when things get busier. Have ye the space to have shed(s) cleaned out disinfected and dry in Feb/ March? In order to break any further possible of build up or if calf health was to go the wrong way?

Tbh I think it’s too much of a risk not to

Just reading there that 70-80% of calves have crypto and it’s only a problem where hygiene and nutrition is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Halicur is a waste of money, it only suppresses the crypto once their off it they'll develop crypto again. Parafor from day 3to 8 and you won't look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,246 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just reading there that 70-80% of calves have crypto and it’s only a problem where hygiene and nutrition is an issue

Are you just started spring calving? Or is it a carry over with autumn calving? Got a lad in here during the week for a day with an industrial power hose. 300 euro for the day all calving and calf sheds done and disinfected. Money well spent imo. Starting calving this week here

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Not really.....their cows are in top % of Ebi too. they compared their system ( 1.3 tonnes meal fed, 93-95% of it grass , stocking rate of 2.4ha i think) vs a highly efficient low input herd( 2.75 ha stoking rate, 350 kg meal fed).

they took 3 years and compared them but left out 2018.... both systems had the same profitability but the higher fed system has lower emissions. also they did a comparison on both systems if derogation went and there was quite a large difference in profit there. talked about risk of variable feed prices in moderate input system but didn't mention 2018 so no talk of risk on the lo cost system in extreme weather conditions, which was a pity.

also I found it interesting that the native 12% nut was cheaper and preformed as well as the non native nuts at 12-18% protein while cows were on grass.

Rent is in at 170 an acre ..not very realistic I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You've mentioned nutrition a few times there and another poster mentioned a multivit.

My own thoughts maybe throw in some Himalayan salt licks to both the cows and the calves if you don't do that already.

Went with it this year after reading how well Ormonde on here got on with it on his stock.
    I can see me using it every year from now on. All the stock have a shine to them now. Weanling heifers had a cough after going in. Anyone else would have dosed or treated for pneumonia. But I persisted just with their silage and access to the salt blocks. Coughs have gone and they're really looking well now.
    Now I did foliar feed the grass for silage with minerals but the salt blocks look to have been what I needed.

That's just a personal experience and not a whole philosophy to follow. There is actually a school of thought in regen farming that properly fed plants and animals with micro and macro nutrients that disease and viruses will pass them over. They'll get it but it won't effect them.

But anyway the Himalayan salt blocks I'd recommend. The stock will only lick them if they need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

richie123 wrote: »
    Rent is in at 170 an acre ..not very realistic I thought.

What figures are been used for debt and interest repayments per cow, was over 10000 euro a cow, spent on that facility are they accounting for this our glossing over it, using a much lower manufactured figure

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

jaymla627 wrote: »
    What figures are been used for debt and interest repayments per cow, was over 10000 euro a cow, spent on that facility are they accounting for this our glossing over it, using a much lower manufactured figure

Interest was put in at 5 %labour at 15 an hour
    But to what extent (who was paid)I don't know and what level of dept.anyone a link to that webinar or is it up yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

All my crypto problems disappeared last year once I sorted out the dry cow sheds, and I started cleaning out the bedding alot more frequently and not letting it build up more than afew days. I had made alot of effort the previous year with calving box hygiene, but it still hit hard, so I'd say the springers were bringing it in on their skin from the drycow sheds previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

You've mentioned nutrition a few times there and another poster mentioned a multivit.

My own thoughts maybe throw in some Himalayan salt licks to both the cows and the calves if you don't do that already.

Went with it this year after reading how well Ormonde on here got on with it on his stock.
    I can see me using it every year from now on. All the stock have a shine to them now. Weanling heifers had a cough after going in. Anyone else would have dosed or treated for pneumonia. But I persisted just with their silage and access to the salt blocks. Coughs have gone and they're really looking well now.
    Now I did foliar feed the grass for silage with minerals but the salt blocks look to have been what I needed.

That's just a personal experience and not a whole philosophy to follow. There is actually a school of thought in regen farming that properly fed plants and animals with micro and macro nutrients that disease and viruses will pass them over. They'll get it but it won't effect them.

But anyway the Himalayan salt blocks I'd recommend. The stock will only lick them if they need them.

Does it prevent Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Does it prevent Covid-19?

No that's vitamin D, C and seaweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I use a hand yard scraper here for the yard but there’s no lasting in the replacement rubber from the co-op. Anyone use anything else to replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I use a hand yard scraper here for the yard but there’s no lasting in the replacement rubber from the co-op. Anyone use anything else to replace it?

Yeah the rubber is gone brutal on those. Someone on here recommended the white blade scraper from O'Neills a while back(maybe Alps?) so I got one and have to say am delighted with it. It glides so easily and leaves ground spotless. Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Sugarbowl wrote: »

https://www.oneilleng.ie/index.php/product/oneill-white-blade-rubber/

These are supposed to last very well

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Thanks guys, I’ll try one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,246 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    First tb test since breakdown this morning ,dept vets doing test ,I’d love a job there ,they won’t start any earlier than 10 o clock .......I’ll put up with it as long as I get the all clear Friday ...

How did it go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did it go?

All clear tg one more to go in early March and good to go hopefully

I see from trials that it pays to feed cows more at grass- I just dropped the mic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

I see from trials that it pays to feed cows more at grass- I just dropped the mic

agreed. fed them up. they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What's this?

Here’s my poor little calf with crypto

Forgot about the caveat, once they return it in the tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What's this?

Dont listen to him. His raving again

Anyone change the spout on their slurry tower? Have one that you can move left/ right but the spout itself is one piece so cant aim up and down so it's not great at mixing

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anyone change the spout on their slurry tower? Have one that you can move left/ right but the spout itself is one piece so cant aim up and down so it's not great at mixing

Propeller only job, wastes days of my life with the better before

• Advertisement

I have less cows per acre, should I still be in derogation. My advisor says yes but I'm not stocked that highly

Advertisement