Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dam099 wrote: »
    You are totally correct but its a shame that ISP's haven't always been adhering to this, their overuse of the "fibre" term for marketing advantage has contributed to the confusion.

Don't even get me started :p

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glen123

Does anybody know if UAN changes every time you move FTTH provider? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

glen123 wrote: »

No your current provider should be able to provide it to you and you provide to the destination ISP

limnam wrote: »
    No your current provider should be able to provide it to you and you provide to the destination ISP

Thanks. I have the number which was given to me by Digiweb 2 years ago when I moved my FTTH from them to a different company. Now I want to move again and wanted to make sure that 8 digit number given to me 2 years ago is still valid and doesn't change every time I change provider (got in touch with my current provider to double check the number but was only promised a call back which hasn't happened yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Thanks. I have the number which was given to me by Digiweb 2 years ago when I moved my FTTH from them to a different company. Now I want to move again and wanted to make sure that 8 digit number given to me 2 years ago is still valid and doesn't change every time I change provider (got in touch with my current provider to double check the number but was only promised a call back which hasn't happened yet)

If you look on the bill it is probably on it somewhere. It is an 8 digit all numbers code. Some bills have it at a random place on the bill with no explanation of what it is. It is probably different to the one digiweb gave you.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yes, it does. The UAN is only supposed to be known to you and your current provider. This is a measure to prevent "slamming", or switching provider without your consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Possibly a silly question. I have an existing overhead copper cable from the road to the house, but tree branches have grown around the cable (not overly thick). Many of the posts here regarding tree obstruction affecting ftth installs seem to relate to new poles/cable. Does the existing copper cable change the prospects of a successful install? I thought that they might be able to pull the fibre along the copper but maybe I'm being naïve!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

How have people found switchover wit FTTH? Im going to move from Eir to Sky and cant afford any downtime as WFH. I've read about issues with Sky sending out routers taking ages and left with no service as the switch day lapses with no new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

How have people found switchover wit FTTH? Im going to move from Eir to Sky and cant afford any downtime as WFH. I've read about issues with Sky sending out routers taking ages and left with no service as the switch day lapses with no new router.

Seamless experience for me. Moved from BBNet wireless to Sky FTTH.

If I recall correctly the router from Sky arrived the day after my NTU and ONT were installed. Plug and play from there.

Seamless experience for me. Moved from BBNet wireless to Sky FTTH.

If I recall correctly the router from Sky arrived the day after my NTU and ONT were installed. Plug and play from there.

Appreciate the quick answer!

Do Sky contact you with a changeover date and presumably the router arrived before that? I don't get the timing of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Appreciate the quick answer!

Do Sky contact you with a changeover date and presumably the router arrived before that? I don't get the timing of it.

Looks like he wasn't moving from FTTH > FTTH.

I'd say get in touch with the destination ISP to understand their specific process.

I'd say get in touch with the destination ISP to understand their specific process.

Thanks and that is the thing. Sky promising things and saying such things as they would refund any money from my old provider where there might be overlap in terms of end of contract vs start of new deal with sky.

I think I just need to bite the bullet and start the switch process maybe a couple of weeks before my existing contracts ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

I mean , couldn't you just use Eir router, until you get one from the Sky ?
    Plenty info around here how setup third party router for the Sky or any other network.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Correct I was not going FTTH to FTTH.

But yes Sky advised of the switchover date and the date that the router should arrive.

I moved my FTTH twice and twice had nearly zero downtime with modem arriving well in advance (wasn't dealing with Sky though but Digiweb and Airwire).
    But I always have a 4g modem as a backup, just in case smth goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

tomrob wrote: »
    I will do .I signed up with Vodafone see what happens .

If I may ask, did you get connected yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

alanucc wrote: »
    Possibly a silly question. I have an existing overhead copper cable from the road to the house, but tree branches have grown around the cable (not overly thick). Many of the posts here regarding tree obstruction affecting ftth installs seem to relate to new poles/cable. Does the existing copper cable change the prospects of a successful install? I thought that they might be able to pull the fibre along the copper but maybe I'm being naïve!

You have to cut the branches.
    1 foot all the way around the cable's path

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Hello all,

NBI have been surveying my parents property which is in the intervention area. I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone with experience of a rural FTTH install can answer (apologies if already answered elsewhere but I did search before posting).

The current copper phone line runs from the pole, through conduit and into a distribution box on the outside of the house. From there it runs into the attic, along the rafters and down to the room where the phone socket and modem is located. Will they follow the same route with FTTH or will they insist on drilling a hole from the distribution box to the room on the other side of the wall? I'd happily run conduit in the attic if needed to get it to the desired location, although the copper cable is tacked to the rafters to keep it out of the way and KN were happy with that.

Given that our last cable pull through the conduit in the ground was relatively recent (in the last 18 months) I'm sure the conduit is clear, but how much effort will they go to with pulling cable before they call it a day? Can/will they use the copper cable to pull through the fiber or must they leave that in place?

Our EirCode indicates that the premises is not in the intervention area as other providers offer high speed broadband (which is not true). Every other house (including houses served by the same pole which is on our property) indicates that FTTH is coming between September and November. Is it safe to assume that we'll get it if everyone else on the road is marked for FTTH?

Thanks a lot in advance!

trant wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that we'll get it if everyone else on the road is marked for FTTH?

No. If you're not in the IA, you're not getting connected by NBI. If you definitely can't get > 30Mb/s from anywhere, contact DECC and ask to be included in the IA.

Thanks, I have emailed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hopefully in the right thread, think eir installed ftth (black square box) yesterday 2 houses down for ours, just wondering would that one box work for the 3 houses and how long would it be before it's up and running?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One of those boxes would typically serve four houses, but I believe they can do more if configured for it. I would say two months would be common, but it can vary.

cnocbui wrote: »
    One of those boxes would typically serve four houses, but I believe they can do more if configured for it. I would say two months would be common, but it can vary.

Indeed it can vary, DP boxes hanging off poles in Ballina, Mayo for 5 months now and no sign of any connections. Fingers crossed you get connected in 2 months.

user1842 wrote: »
    Indeed it can vary, DP boxes hanging off poles in Ballina, Mayo for 5 months now and no sign of any connections. Fingers crossed you get connected in 2 months.

Ballina is provisionally scheduled for launch in January. It could happen yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ballina is provisionally scheduled for launch in January. It could happen yet...

Where do you see launch dates?

oscarBravo wrote: »

Fingers crossed.

Hococop wrote: »
    Where do you see launch dates?

They're not public.

oscarBravo, would you be able to help me with the DCCAE enquiry I posted about last week? I'd like to know the projected timeline for FTTH in our area, and what other providers DCCAE believe are providing > 30Mb/sec broadband in our area.

Can I PM you the EirCode?

trant wrote: »
    Can I PM you the EirCode?

Go for it. No promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Year up with eir ftth, any recommendations on who to switch to for best price and service, in fairness had zero issues with eir but price is now jumping quite significantly after the 12 months, so was looking for a better deal while maintaining quality of service.

Advertisement