Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dam099 wrote: »
    You are totally correct but its a shame that ISP's haven't always been adhering to this, their overuse of the "fibre" term for marketing advantage has contributed to the confusion.

Don't even get me started :p

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

Does anybody know if UAN changes every time you move FTTH provider? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

glen123 wrote: »

No your current provider should be able to provide it to you and you provide to the destination ISP

limnam wrote: »
    No your current provider should be able to provide it to you and you provide to the destination ISP

Thanks. I have the number which was given to me by Digiweb 2 years ago when I moved my FTTH from them to a different company. Now I want to move again and wanted to make sure that 8 digit number given to me 2 years ago is still valid and doesn't change every time I change provider (got in touch with my current provider to double check the number but was only promised a call back which hasn't happened yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Thanks. I have the number which was given to me by Digiweb 2 years ago when I moved my FTTH from them to a different company. Now I want to move again and wanted to make sure that 8 digit number given to me 2 years ago is still valid and doesn't change every time I change provider (got in touch with my current provider to double check the number but was only promised a call back which hasn't happened yet)

If you look on the bill it is probably on it somewhere. It is an 8 digit all numbers code. Some bills have it at a random place on the bill with no explanation of what it is. It is probably different to the one digiweb gave you.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yes, it does. The UAN is only supposed to be known to you and your current provider. This is a measure to prevent "slamming", or switching provider without your consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Possibly a silly question. I have an existing overhead copper cable from the road to the house, but tree branches have grown around the cable (not overly thick). Many of the posts here regarding tree obstruction affecting ftth installs seem to relate to new poles/cable. Does the existing copper cable change the prospects of a successful install? I thought that they might be able to pull the fibre along the copper but maybe I'm being naïve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

How have people found switchover wit FTTH? Im going to move from Eir to Sky and cant afford any downtime as WFH. I've read about issues with Sky sending out routers taking ages and left with no service as the switch day lapses with no new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

How have people found switchover wit FTTH? Im going to move from Eir to Sky and cant afford any downtime as WFH. I've read about issues with Sky sending out routers taking ages and left with no service as the switch day lapses with no new router.

Seamless experience for me. Moved from BBNet wireless to Sky FTTH.

If I recall correctly the router from Sky arrived the day after my NTU and ONT were installed. Plug and play from there.

Seamless experience for me. Moved from BBNet wireless to Sky FTTH.

If I recall correctly the router from Sky arrived the day after my NTU and ONT were installed. Plug and play from there.

Appreciate the quick answer!

Do Sky contact you with a changeover date and presumably the router arrived before that? I don't get the timing of it.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the quick answer!

Do Sky contact you with a changeover date and presumably the router arrived before that? I don't get the timing of it.

Looks like he wasn't moving from FTTH > FTTH.

I'd say get in touch with the destination ISP to understand their specific process.

I'd say get in touch with the destination ISP to understand their specific process.

Thanks and that is the thing. Sky promising things and saying such things as they would refund any money from my old provider where there might be overlap in terms of end of contract vs start of new deal with sky.

I think I just need to bite the bullet and start the switch process maybe a couple of weeks before my existing contracts ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I mean , couldn't you just use Eir router, until you get one from the Sky ?
    Plenty info around here how setup third party router for the Sky or any other network.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Correct I was not going FTTH to FTTH.

But yes Sky advised of the switchover date and the date that the router should arrive.

I moved my FTTH twice and twice had nearly zero downtime with modem arriving well in advance (wasn't dealing with Sky though but Digiweb and Airwire).
    But I always have a 4g modem as a backup, just in case smth goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

tomrob wrote: »
    I will do .I signed up with Vodafone see what happens .

If I may ask, did you get connected yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

alanucc wrote: »
    Possibly a silly question. I have an existing overhead copper cable from the road to the house, but tree branches have grown around the cable (not overly thick). Many of the posts here regarding tree obstruction affecting ftth installs seem to relate to new poles/cable. Does the existing copper cable change the prospects of a successful install? I thought that they might be able to pull the fibre along the copper but maybe I'm being naïve!

You have to cut the branches.
    1 foot all the way around the cable's path

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭trant

Hello all,

NBI have been surveying my parents property which is in the intervention area. I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone with experience of a rural FTTH install can answer (apologies if already answered elsewhere but I did search before posting).

The current copper phone line runs from the pole, through conduit and into a distribution box on the outside of the house. From there it runs into the attic, along the rafters and down to the room where the phone socket and modem is located. Will they follow the same route with FTTH or will they insist on drilling a hole from the distribution box to the room on the other side of the wall? I'd happily run conduit in the attic if needed to get it to the desired location, although the copper cable is tacked to the rafters to keep it out of the way and KN were happy with that.

Given that our last cable pull through the conduit in the ground was relatively recent (in the last 18 months) I'm sure the conduit is clear, but how much effort will they go to with pulling cable before they call it a day? Can/will they use the copper cable to pull through the fiber or must they leave that in place?

Our EirCode indicates that the premises is not in the intervention area as other providers offer high speed broadband (which is not true). Every other house (including houses served by the same pole which is on our property) indicates that FTTH is coming between September and November. Is it safe to assume that we'll get it if everyone else on the road is marked for FTTH?

Thanks a lot in advance!

trant wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that we'll get it if everyone else on the road is marked for FTTH?

No. If you're not in the IA, you're not getting connected by NBI. If you definitely can't get > 30Mb/s from anywhere, contact DECC and ask to be included in the IA.

Thanks, I have emailed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hopefully in the right thread, think eir installed ftth (black square box) yesterday 2 houses down for ours, just wondering would that one box work for the 3 houses and how long would it be before it's up and running?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One of those boxes would typically serve four houses, but I believe they can do more if configured for it. I would say two months would be common, but it can vary.

cnocbui wrote: »
    One of those boxes would typically serve four houses, but I believe they can do more if configured for it. I would say two months would be common, but it can vary.

Indeed it can vary, DP boxes hanging off poles in Ballina, Mayo for 5 months now and no sign of any connections. Fingers crossed you get connected in 2 months.

user1842 wrote: »
    Indeed it can vary, DP boxes hanging off poles in Ballina, Mayo for 5 months now and no sign of any connections. Fingers crossed you get connected in 2 months.

Ballina is provisionally scheduled for launch in January. It could happen yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ballina is provisionally scheduled for launch in January. It could happen yet...

Where do you see launch dates?

oscarBravo wrote: »

Fingers crossed.

Hococop wrote: »
    Where do you see launch dates?

They're not public.

oscarBravo, would you be able to help me with the DCCAE enquiry I posted about last week? I'd like to know the projected timeline for FTTH in our area, and what other providers DCCAE believe are providing > 30Mb/sec broadband in our area.

Can I PM you the EirCode?

trant wrote: »
    Can I PM you the EirCode?

Go for it. No promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Year up with eir ftth, any recommendations on who to switch to for best price and service, in fairness had zero issues with eir but price is now jumping quite significantly after the 12 months, so was looking for a better deal while maintaining quality of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geminiman63

darth_maul wrote: »
    Year up with eir ftth, any recommendations on who to switch to for best price and service, in fairness had zero issues with eir but price is now jumping quite significantly after the 12 months, so was looking for a better deal while maintaining quality of service.

My year was up also with eir ftth at the end of November,

I stayed with eir as I thought this was a pretty good deal that they offered me ,

They offered me a new customer rate when I rang them up in January, as I was out of contract.

This is the deal that I got.

Here are the details of your new eir service

Bundle Name:
    eir Complete Broadband & Phone

Your Bundle Includes:
    eir Talk Mobile World
    eir Fibre Extreme 500Mb

Bundle Contract Length*:
    12 Months

Promotional Price:
    €46.98 per month

Regular Price:
    €85.97 per month

Your Add Ons:

Your Promotional Discounts:
    Promotion - 20 Euro off for 12 months €20.00 x 12 months ending January 2022
    Promotion - 10 Euro off for 12 months €10.00 x 12 months ending January 2022
    Promotion - 8.99 Euro off per month €8.99

Upfront Payments:

Once Off Charges:

Deposit Paid:

I also had zero problems with the service during the year.

If you can get the same deal quoted above, I would go with that. I was in the same boat, switched from Eir to Airwire. Eir was more stable but the price jump is excessive. I would have liked to stay with them, but not at that price.

Eir must be run by idiots. The price jump after the initial year is unconscionable. They would make far more money long term by keeping customers at the initial pricing, instead of driving them away.

Eir must be run by idiots. The price jump after the initial year is unconscionable. They would make far more money long term by keeping customers at the initial pricing, instead of driving them away.

I''d say the amount of people switching ISP's every year is relatively small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

No people switch all the time I've seen some people 3 times. People switch out of frustration halfway through their contracts. A certain ethnic group change providers every 3 months as they get cut off from one they shift to the next and so on.

I'd say the number not switching and just happily going with the sudden 100% price jump would be the ones in a minority.

• Advertisement

I switched to Pure this week. 35pm for 500mbit,12 months contract. After 12 months rising to 55eur.

Switch over was 5min of downtime. Technical support were prompt at sending me setup details as i didn't want to use the supplied router.
    Getting 480-490mbit on my phone.

I'd say the number not switching and just happily going with the sudden 100% price jump would be the ones in a minority.

Be interesting to see some numbers on it.

Maybe people are getting a bit better in general not just with ISP's

For banks/insurance/leccy etc in the past people tend to just be lazy and stay where they're.

I'm in two minds myself coming out of 18 months soon and thinking about heading back to Eir.

I switched to Pure this week. 35pm for 500mbit,12 months contract. After 12 months rising to 55eur.

Switch over was 5min of downtime. Technical support were prompt at sending me setup details as i didn't want to use the supplied router.
    Getting 480-490mbit on my phone.

I presume your router and phone have 802.11ax for you to be getting that speed over WiFi?

I presume your router and phone have 802.11ax for you to be getting that speed over WiFi?

Fritzbox 7530 and Google Pixel 3a.

With F2000 router, supplied by Pure, I was getting 260-270 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

Can anybody tell me what a yellow envelope over your property means regarding the roll out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Got a fairly unique situation on my hands here i think. I'll explain as best i can.
    Currently building a new house behind an existing house which has FTTH installed. When completed the old house will be demolished. Now bearing in mind that the new house will have the same occupants, the same address and there will still be only one house on the site do u think Eir would do the easy logical thing and just transfer over the connection or are they gonna be difficult and look for a new eircode.

How would we even go about registering a new address with an post when its the same as the old one.

Inked-Eircode-Map-LI.jpg

Distance shouldn't be a problem there is a DP on the pole that is currently serving the property. Current run is about 20m new one about 60m.

Any input much appreciated.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Worst case scenario might be you having to move the fibre to a connection box and paying a private contractor to do an optical extension from the box to the new house.

Best case would be Eir being happy to run a new length of cable from the DP on the pole to the new house. This option would best be facilitated by ensuring a good duct be installed from the new house to starting point of the the existing cable or the edge of the property.

Best speak to Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

You shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Worst case scenario might be you having to move the fibre to a connection box and paying a private contractor to do an optical extension from the box to the new house.

Best case would be Eir being happy to run a new length of cable from the DP on the pole to the new house. This option would best be facilitated by ensuring a good duct be installed from the new house to starting point of the the existing cable or the edge of the property.

Best speak to Eir.

Thanks for the reply.
    Ya I'd be pretty confident in them running a new line my main concern was the eircode cause i know that can take ages to get sorted. Will be at the stage for laying ducting next month for ESB as well so will ring Eir in the meantime.
    Hopefully I'm not on hold for an hour like last time. Excellent service never missed a beat but a disaster if you ever have to speak to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭ablelocks

can anyone advise on this situation

we have a ftth network that covers some, but not all the community. there is one main fibre line following the main road, with a number of spurs up and down some side roads.

On those side roads there are maybe 2-4 houses within 2-300m of the last fibre unit (the black box on a pole). These houses are not part of the original plan so Eir didn't connect them.

Is there any way of getting these houses connected to existing network? All houses are willing and able to do the preliminary works (trenches, cutting ditches if needed etc) and pay for the extra cable and installation.

I used to have a contact in Eir head office who was very helpful during the initial rollout, but I've lost his contact details and for the life of me can't remember his second name - he may even have retired since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ablelocks wrote: »
    can anyone advise on this situation

we have a ftth network that covers some, but not all the community. there is one main fibre line following the main road, with a number of spurs up and down some side roads.

On those side roads there are maybe 2-4 houses within 2-300m of the last fibre unit (the black box on a pole). These houses are not part of the original plan so Eir didn't connect them.

Is there any way of getting these houses connected to existing network? All houses are willing and able to do the preliminary works (trenches, cutting ditches if needed etc) and pay for the extra cable and installation.

I used to have a contact in Eir head office who was very helpful during the initial rollout, but I've lost his contact details and for the life of me can't remember his second name - he may even have retired since.

If only it was that easy. Unless they're new builds I think you're out of luck until say the NBI do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Hey guys looking for advice.

After being given a run around from eir/openeir/kn for 6 weeks here is my situation:

Moved into a new build housing estate in kildare,

Attempted to move my eir account from old rented apartment over.

Initial order went with only problem being that my eir code couldn't be found.

Kn come out to advise me and the other 59 home owners here that the whole state is ducted for FTTH not fttc or dsl.

He leaves telling me to call open eir. They put me on to customer care who put me on to sales who tell me - no my house is one of the other two and the installer was mistaken.

New order and same thing happens again except this time its open eir themselves telling me that eir need to reorder ftth.

4 separate calls with a variety of 'solutions' such as cancelling the services and new order, re scheduling another installer, getting openeir to update an ard key on their database (?) Etc.

Eventually someone spends 20 minutes with me on hold looking up NBI, open eirs map, the notes on the accounts etc. To tell me open eir simply haven't rolled out the broadband to my area yet. (For context one my friends who lives in a house on the main road (not part of my estate) has eir fibre to the home...)

I called sky, Vodafone, digiweb etc. Who when I advised them I can only get ftth in the house due to no phone line I get either of the following: we can't find you or can't supply you.

My eir code very much exists as does the other 50 some people living here in the estate and we are **** out of luck with some people living here over a year.

Any course of action to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

I Armour I wrote: »
    Hey guys looking for advice.

After being given a run around from eir/openeir/kn for 6 weeks here is my situation:

Moved into a new build housing estate in kildare,

Attempted to move my eir account from old rented apartment over.

Initial order went with only problem being that my eir code couldn't be found.

Kn come out to advise me and the other 59 home owners here that the whole state is ducted for FTTH not fttc or dsl.

He leaves telling me to call open eir. They put me on to customer care who put me on to sales who tell me - no my house is one of the other two and the installer was mistaken.

New order and same thing happens again except this time its open eir themselves telling me that eir need to reorder ftth.

4 separate calls with a variety of 'solutions' such as cancelling the services and new order, re scheduling another installer, getting openeir to update an ard key on their database (?) Etc.

Eventually someone spends 20 minutes with me on hold looking up NBI, open eirs map, the notes on the accounts etc. To tell me open eir simply haven't rolled out the broadband to my area yet. (For context one my friends who lives in a house on the main road (not part of my estate) has eir fibre to the home...)

I called sky, Vodafone, digiweb etc. Who when I advised them I can only get ftth in the house due to no phone line I get either of the following: we can't find you or can't supply you.

My eir code very much exists as does the other 50 some people living here in the estate and we are **** out of luck with some people living here over a year.

Any course of action to take?

Don't expect a quick solution to this .We are in the same boat .New housing estate and the only thing done has been the ducting and the inner ducting

We have chased OpenEir for months ,calls emails and tweets go unanswered. Ring Eir to put orders through and this won't work either

We have emailed all the broadband departments in gov.ie and no response

Our final is that we all emailed our local TDs separately asking them to work on our behalf to get Openeir to install the cables .We have seen the TDs mail to Eir this week and now just waiting on reply

There should be a solution when estates are built that the Fibre be installed at the same time and save all this hassle

Just to add we are located fairly close to Cork City and have been chasing this since November 2019 😪😪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Anybody that are having difficulties in high speed broadband connections in new housing estates should contact a local councillor or TD and explain the situation. Ring Joe Duffy on Liveline on RTÉ Radio 1 to explain the situation. Most of the country haven’t hear of these problems and it is up to all of you to shout. The government need to be lobbied on quicker recognition of new houses and estates. Surely they were all built under the knowledge of local authorities due to planning permission granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

12 month contract up today. Finally got through to them and they want 65 pm for 150 or 75 for 500.

Looking to swap providers now so, anyone else switched from eir recently

stuchyg wrote: »
    12 month contract up today. Finally got through to them and they want 65 pm for 150 or 75 for 500.

Looking to swap providers now so, anyone else switched from eir recently

A while back now, and in exactly the same boat, I switched from Eir to Airwire. Service not as bulletproof, but it's cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement