Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

How can it be an easy fix for FTTH if there are no ports available for FTTH? What if the DP is full?

Because once the active line in the premise is cancelled using the new tenant process (yes .. there is such a thing), then the port on the DP becomes available again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Smartbyte?
    user1842 wrote: »
    Either that or the friends laptop only has a 100Mbps ethernet port or the cable that is used to connect it is well below cat5 (only using 2 rather than 4 pairs).

Hey guys just following up on this.

So he uninstalled Smartbyte and is still unable to get over 100Mb on a wired speed test. He says the cable hes using is Cat 5e.

Is there a way to test if its the laptop? Id be surprised if it is as he only bought it last year and its a gaming one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,709 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sounds like the laptop only has 10/100 ethernet. I get 137 Mbps over 5Ghz WiFi on an 8 year old Macbook Pro. Assuming windows, it should be possible to go into network settinsg and then drill down choosing advanced settings until you get to something that looks like the old control panel which will give the ethernet controller specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Port management on QoS in router settings?
    Router could be dividing the amount of traffic over interfaces to stop one person using all the bandwidth?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

joe123 wrote: »

So he uninstalled Smartbyte and is still unable to get over 100Mb on a wired speed test. He says the cable hes using is Cat 5e.

Is there a way to test if its the laptop? Id be surprised if it is as he only bought it last year and its a gaming one.

Sometimes it's also the cable from the router to the ONT that is crummy. Wouldn't be a first. Worth trying to replace that, too.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

joe123 wrote: »

Maybe see if this is correct?

https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/ethernet-link-speed-capped-at-100-mbps/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 matildajane

does anyone know how I find out if ftth cables are going to be installed on my road. KNcircet are currently installing on roads all around my but not on mine even though it has more houses. I have contacted KN and openeir and they all just refer me to that ancient out of date fibrerollout.ie map. I am in north Dublin on a regional route and ftth is on surrounding roads but not on mine.

does anyone know how I find out if ftth cables are going to be installed on my road.

The DCCE map is essentially, what you need to be looking at: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5634d-national-broadband-plan-map/

That will tell you which provider you may or may not be covered by .. or if you have to wait for the NBP.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 35 matildajane

it says I am in the intervention area and have to wait for a survey as part of the nbi. However it says the same thing about the houses where KN are currently running fibre right in front of!

it says I am in the intervention area and have to wait for a survey as part of the nbi. However it says the same thing about the houses where KN are currently running fibre right in front of!

KN could be running anything. Doesn't have to be fibre. Also OpenEIR is still rolling out fibre in villages that were previously VDSL covered and have more than 1000 premises.

But until they list these premises as covered, there is nowhere you can check at the moment. If that's what's happening there, it'll be 2-6 months, before you see that becoming available anyhow.

The Airwire checker will eventually list homes, that are expected to be part of the OpenEIR IFN, but does not do that yet: http://airwire.ie/avail

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Could someone help me please?

I have 1GBps (or 1gbps not sure on capitalization) being installed on Thursday.

The existing eir pole across from our house (quiet country road pole is 25 meters from the house). This pole has no cable spool at the top but the next pole down the road does (approx about 70m to 100m away)

Will eir or Open eir go from pole furthest away then come up to pole opposite the house?

Just not 100% sure if was available but when speaking to recontract team Monday they said FTTH was available and have since checked airware and it says it's available too.

They will connect a new, different cable to the nearest black box and run that cable along the road to the nearer pole and than to the house from there. If you have an existing copper phone line then the fibre will likely follow the same route into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 patrick_10

Hi All

I checked the gov.ie broadband map. I live up a private lane, so am in the amber area but my fathers house is in blue area and part way up my lane - he can get fibre but doesn't need it as he has a nokia flip phone and thats about it!!!

Can I install my own fibre cable down the poles to my fathers telephone pole (550m) or nearest exchange (700m)?
    Can Fibre being joined using special connections? I was told by kn technician that is can't so have to run it direct to nearest exchange.

Line of sight to be Dads house wouldn't work due to bend/heights. Don't want to get satellite either.
    Unless I install it in his house and run cable up to my house.

Has anyone done it? Eir rolls are only 500m and they won't do it my eircode is outside the map.

Any comments or feedback would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Warning I have no expertise! Seems to me having a professional run cable from your Dad's house would be quickest thing to do.
    I am in amber area and will have to wait years, even though the houses 400m away can get it. Not relatives so can't ask them to hook up for me.. .

It'll work you could go ahead get it installed in your dad's house and then get a roll of single mode fibre fit SC APC connectors on the end and send it on to yourself. Once the kn chap does exactly what he's supposed and allowed to do he does not care what you do yourself after the fact.
    You'd need to know how to splice it not difficult but requires practice. Alternatively you could get a decent electrician to run and splice or fuse the connection.
    The bends are practically a non issue the cable nearly stops you bending any tighter than a 40mm radius

JonMac wrote: »
    Warning I have no expertise! Seems to me having a professional run cable from your Dad's house would be quickest thing to do.
    I am in amber area and will have to wait years, even though the houses 400m away can get it. Not relatives so can't ask them to hook up for me.. .

Thanks Jonmac. Its only overhead cable on poles so can't anticipate it will be too difficult, just getting the right cable is tricky part. Would need to terminated properly at either end onbviously.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    It'll work you could go ahead get it installed in your dad's house and then get a roll of single mode fibre fit SC APC connectors on the end and send it on to yourself. Once the kn chap does exactly what he's supposed and allowed to do he does not care what you do yourself after the fact.
    You'd need to know how to splice it not difficult but requires practice. Alternatively you could get a decent electrician to run and splice or fuse the connection.
    The bends are practically a non issue the cable nearly stops you bending any tighter than a 40mm radius

Perfect thanks - looking up that cable now cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

babi-hrse wrote: »
    It'll work you could go ahead get it installed in your dad's house and then get a roll of single mode fibre fit SC APC connectors on the end and send it on to

Try getting pre-terminated fibre. While splicing isn’t hard, it requires special equipment and a little practice.

If you are sharing the connection with your father you could use ethernet to optical converters at each end.

Also depending on the fibre you get, it may need to be protection from the environment (e.g in a pipe).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

patrick_10 wrote: »
    Thanks Jonmac. Its only overhead cable on poles so can't anticipate it will be too difficult, just getting the right cable is tricky part. Would need to terminated properly at either end onbviously.

Eir won’t allow you to string your own fibre on their poles. But if your land joins, you could string/bury it across your land would work.

To buy the cable try looking at radionics.ie or farnell.ie

patrick_10 wrote: »
    Perfect thanks - looking up that cable now cheers.

Make sure you get cable that has no metal reinforcing strands, whatsoever (lightning). The cble should only be strain reinforced with kelar (aramid) or dyneema (Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene), which is even better. The Openeir cable has both.

• Advertisement

Eir won’t allow you to string your own fibre on their poles. But if your land joins, you could string/bury it across your land would work.

To buy the cable try looking at radionics.ie or farnell.ie

I doubt they would notice it if installed to spec, until they came along to expand the network in a decade or two as per the NBP, which would lead to the current problem being solved anyway - not that I am condoning, suggesting or encouraging such a thing; speaking entirely hypothetically of course.

Got FTTH installed today. in between 50mb and 300mb on WiFi speed test.

Haven’t tried Ethernet cable with laptop yet. I got the eir fibre router (newer model I believe).

Anyone Recommend any changes to make to default config to improve speed or coverage. I’m using 2.4ghz for most devices so far and I’m going to use a power line adapter for smart TV / fire stick.

Use 5Ghz for WiFi. 2-3 times faster than 2.5. I can get download speeds of 17 MBs over WiFi on 5 GHz. Only 1000/100 or better Ethernet is faster than 5Ghz WiFi and many devices are only 100/10.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Use 5Ghz for WiFi. 2-3 times faster than 2.5. I can get download speeds of 17 MBs over WiFi on 5 GHz. Only 1000/100 or better Ethernet is faster than 5Ghz WiFi and many devices are only 100/10.

Am I correct in saying 5GHz will have faster download but may not reach as far? I'll switch devices tomorrow. Our house is 40 years old and two centre walls are 8 inch block on flat so thought I'd need Powerline / Mesh but seem to be getting satisfactory WiFi throughout!

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

Just wondering if anyone could advise on the below please.

I wanted to order FTTH but have the following situation:

FTTH is available in my area but the online availability checkers say the ports are full
    I ordered FTTC instead but the KN guys said on arrival that I was too far from cabinet (1.7KM)
    They told me I could definitely get FTTH though and that there were 8 DPs outside my house, 5 of which were free
    They said they would do a survey and refer back to provider for rebooking
    Provider received a written note back from engineer about available ports but installation booking system still said that there are no ports available so they can't place an order
    Provider then received another update that there are 4 ports outside my house and these are all full.
    So network and engineer are saying different things and I have no way to contact either to clarify

This seems to be a bit of a dead end now. Has anyone any ideas? Every house in the area has FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

try dropping , Airwire: MartinL a pm . he may be able to clarify your situation .

Thanks very much for the recommendation, I'll try MartinL

What's probably happened there is somebody moved out or came in as a new customer and got an install to be connected to the next port the installation went ahead but they were just left in the current port as it's all the same signal irrespective of position. However it doesn't get updated that that prior port is now free it just shows two customers at the same address with two accounts.
    The eircode system was supposed to stop this sort of thing happening. oscarbravo and I discussed this a couple of months ago page 96-97
    It's probably not this reason but I highly suspect it is if there are free working ports and the system said full.
    A case of a good idea being wrecked by poor implementation.
    A good workaround would be if an ont hasn't been seen online for more than a month it should be investigated and port recycled as free if not in use.
    EDIT
    it was actually Oscar bravo and it was two months ago.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not aware of anyone locally moving out but some neighbours have recently added fibre alright so this sounds plausible.

What's an ONT?

How do I go about getting it investigated? Most of the operators are responding with a 'computer says no' type response?

Advertisement