Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The risk of snow in the east has unquestionably diminished for lower levels tomorrow but a wintry mix still seems likely early tomorrow afternoon. It looks very mixed for the rest of the week. A few flakes at times but rain, hail, sleet as well. If I had to choose I think Saturday night may be best chance for more widespread snow showers to lower levels but that's beyond the scope of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Hopefully some of us see some snow. Higher ground will do well.

0VfLxMa.png

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

21mm since 6pm yesterday, lawns and garden saturated, fields around us have large pools of water or small ponds, there is 2 small ponds near us that are full to the brim, the boyne has overflowed into fields to, could really do with a few dry days now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Pure rain and 1c at 410 metres! There is no way it’s going to snow anywhere else!

Awful! The freezing level must be really high.

https://streamable.com/1zkqgc

You went up too early. Forecast said it would be later on. More greens showing up on the radar now and one isolated blot of snow ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The risk of snow in the east has unquestionably diminished for lower levels tomorrow but a wintry mix still seems likely early tomorrow afternoon. It looks very mixed for the rest of the week. A few flakes at times but rain, hail, sleet as well. If I had to choose I think Saturday night may be best chance for more widespread snow showers to lower levels but that's beyond the scope of the thread.

Hello, gentle mortal. Fret not, for I am from the future and bring good tidings! I took this photo tomorrow in Dublin.

bOFc5A3.jpg

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    You went up too early. Forecast said it would be later on. More greens showing up on the radar now and one isolated blot of snow ha.

I’m not very hopeful. The temperature is very stubborn.

21mm since 6pm yesterday, lawns and garden saturated, fields around us have large pools of water or small ponds, there is 2 small ponds near us that are full to the brim, the boyne has overflowed into fields to, could really do with a few dry days now

Just had a further 2.5mm in an hour, just a truly rotten day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice bit of rain pushing into Cork City now.

Appears to be 2c just outside Letterkenny. Icon shows widespread back edge snow in Ulster around midnight onwards.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IKILMA16

So, that's something to be positive about!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just going through the models and would think the only real chance of snow accumulations would be on the highest ground eg Wicklow Mts or perhaps the tops of the highest hills, looks mainly sleety with maybe a few wet flakes but little to nothing settling on lower ground . Some of the models showing a small bit of snow accumulations in the SE but hard to see this happening with the 850 hPa temps not very cold with a lot of mixing going on? 2m air temps don't look that cold either until later in the day when the precipitation has cleared.
    Later tomorrow into Thurs could get a lot of wintry showers along the Atlantic coasts and would expect a lot of mountain tops to be white on Thurs morning through the rest of the week. Could get reports of poor driving conditions on high ground with some frosty nights. A lot of the showers convective in nature with heavy hail showers at times and flurries of snow on higher ground with some moving inland at times. Hit and miss by nature.
    Not much chance of anything settling on lower ground for long during the day but some could settle briefly on higher ground during the dark hours. Could get big temperature drops under these showers and some a bit gusty. Could be a few more organized bands of wintry precipitation moving in from the W , NW, N at times. Brighter day in the W of the country tomorrow and some good bright spells for most on Thurs. A few isolated sparks over water or near to coasts perhaps later Weds into Thurs. Just my tuppence worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There was never really any chance of any snow away from higher ground. Meteociel charts should come with a major health warning.

Is there a front over Donegal or is that just topographical temperature variations?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There was never really any chance of any snow away from higher ground.

I disagree and there is still a good chance of an hour or two back edge snow tomorrow in southeastern counties in particular and it won't be exclusively high ground.

The real problem has nothing to do with Meteociel charts and everything to do with the fact a degree or two has been added to the wrap-around airmass temperatures along with precipitation not being quite as intense as originally thought because a good portion remains off shore.

I'm not ruling out a surprise for some tomorrow. Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow, Laois and east Waterford along with Dublin should see some flakes tomorrow afternoon.

Edit: forgot east Kildare

I disagree and there is still a good chance of an hour or two back edge snow tomorrow in southeastern counties in particular and it won't be exclusively high ground.

The real problem has nothing to do with Meteociel charts and everything to do with the fact a degree or two has been added to the wrap-around airmass temperatures along with precipitation not being quite as intense as originally thought because a good portion remains off shore.

I'm not ruling out a surprise for some tomorrow. Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow, Laois and east Waterford along with Dublin should see some flakes tomorrow afternoon.

It's been quite heavy here. I think you'll find the precipitation is a lot further north than predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just going through the models and would think the only real chance of snow accumulations would be on the highest ground eg Wicklow Mts or perhaps the tops of the highest hills, looks mainly sleety with maybe a few wet flakes but little to nothing settling on lower ground . Some of the models showing a small bit of snow accumulations in the SE but hard to see this happening with the 850 hPa temps not very cold with a lot of mixing going on? 2m air temps don't look that cold either until later in the day when the precipitation has cleared.
    Later tomorrow into Thurs could get a lot of wintry showers along the Atlantic coasts and would expect a lot of mountain tops to be white on Thurs morning through the rest of the week. Could get reports of poor driving conditions on high ground with some frosty nights. A lot of the showers convective in nature with heavy hail showers at times and flurries of snow on higher ground with some moving inland at times. Hit and miss by nature.
    Not much chance of anything settling on lower ground for long during the day but some could settle briefly on higher ground during the dark hours. Could get big temperature drops under these showers and some a bit gusty. Could be a few more organized bands of wintry precipitation moving in from the W , NW, N at times. Brighter day in the W of the country tomorrow and some good bright spells for most on Thurs. A few isolated sparks over water or near to coasts perhaps later Weds into Thurs. Just my tuppence worth.

Sounds like a repeat of what we had in December. Mind you i did get a dusting at one stage, so maybe some snow could settle at night again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I disagree. It looks the same now as it did on the weekend. Maybe the GFS added a degree but that's what it always does closer to the time, given its cold bias. ECM and ICON soundings are looking the same now as then.

Hope we see something but really can't see proper snow falling below 200 metres. Might have a better chance in heavier showers towards the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, they should not. They may.

Anything wintry below 150-250 is remote.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Lots of inland parts of wickow,including towns like Rathdrum and Tinahely and obviously Roundwood would see snow in that scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Significant downgrade on the 18z gfs run for tomorrow.
    Little if any snowfall now predicted.
    Though as Kermit said earlier things look less marginal over the weekend!!

Larbre34 wrote: »

Yeah. The airmass is pretty saturated. And temperatures are dropping slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

33mm in the gauge since early yesterday and still miserable and drizzly out so it should rise further.
    There's been a noticeable drop in temperatures this evening, from 10c at 8pm its now down to 5c. South Cavan

lolie wrote: »
    33mm in the gauge since early yesterday and still miserable and drizzly out so it should rise further.
    There's been a noticeable drop in temperatures this evening, from 10c at 8pm its now down to 5c. South Cavan

27mm for me in meath and no temp drop yet, 9.8c, very breezy now to since the rain cleared, really dont need more rain now for at least a week

3c here and 20mm

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Measured 44mm in my own gauge in the 24 hour period between 6pm yesterday eve and 6pm today. We seemed stuck under that weather front for most of the day in this part of Central Mayo. An absolute washout of a day. Plenty of water lying on the land again and local streams and rivers were rocketing up during the day. Temperature has dropped to 5c here also now.
    Those bright, crisp and frosty days from earlier on in the month feel like a lifetime ago on days like today.

Just 4mm here in Arklow
    Currently 10.2c

This is the best I could muster tonight. Video taken at 320 metres.

It was 1c and sleeting but there was globs of snow landing on the window, melting instantly. Very close to snow.

https://streamable.com/08xwhn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

This is the best I could muster tonight. Video taken at 320 metres.

It was 1c and sleeting but there was globs of snow landing on the window, melting instantly. Very close to snow.

https://streamable.com/08xwhn

Do you have to drive up a mountain each time to see if its snowing?

Do you have to drive up a mountain each time to see if its snowing?

Excuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Prime spots for tomorrow to see some sneachta probably south Dublin/Wicklow, east Kildare, Carlow type area.

Whilst there has been some subtle changes in recent runs there still remains a risk, i'd probably place it at 40% for lying snow to low levels in these areas ( from around noon through 5pm).

Prob 10-20% risk for more general Dublin area.

It's a chance and one to watch, it's the type of event that will keep us interested, this is the game at the end of the day, if it was easy we wouldn't be here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Excuse me?

You often say you are at a certain height when reporting,so was just wondering do you drive up the side of a mountain/hill to see how low the snow line might be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement