Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

You often say you are at a certain height when reporting,so was just wondering do you drive up the side of a mountain/hill to see how low the snow line might be?

That’s a change of tone.. no I only drive up a local hill when it’s marginal just to see where the snowline is.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Lots of inland parts of wickow,including towns like Rathdrum and Tinahely and obviously Roundwood would see snow in that scenario

Or knockananna hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

1 member would bring 3cm of lying snow to Dublin City centre, a thought we can dwell on for the night!

1 member would bring 3cm of lying snow to Dublin City centre, a thought we can dwell on for the night!

And who would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    That’s a change of tone.. no I only drive up a local hill when it’s marginal just to see where the snowline is.

No sure what you mean by tone.... I only asked a question, anyway thanks for answering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

The teeniest bit of hope ;)

heffoo wrote: »
    Or knockananna hopefully

Yup !
    I'd say you'd see it there before the likes of rathdrum or tinahely
    Their chances are proximity to high ground
    You have the high ground and the proximity to higher!
    Please check in frequently tomorrow and let us know how it's going
    To be honest it's very very knife edge
    Not expecting any down in Arklow bar some shleet maybe

And who would that be?

He's talking about ensemble members..(perturbations) not posters...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Yup !
    I'd say you'd see it there before the likes of rathdrum or tinahely
    Their chances are proximity to high ground
    You have the high ground and the proximity to higher!
    Please check in frequently tomorrow and let us know how it's going
    To be honest it's very very knife edge
    Not expecting any down in Arklow bar some shleet maybe

Will do I’m slightly higher outside the village around 270 mtrs asl so fingers crossed. Tinahely is always hit and miss we could be in blizzards up here and it could be raining away there and it’s only a few mins drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

He's talking about ensemble members..(perturbations) not posters...

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Harmonie 18z isn't bad. Improvement on last nights iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think sometimes you should change your tone a bit, to be fair. There was nothing behind that question you found offence with. It's good to have someone who's willing to put in the miles in the search of a snowline so take it as a compliment.

Will do I’m slightly higher outside the village around 270 mtrs asl so fingers crossed. Tinahely is always hit and miss we could be in blizzards up here and it could be raining away there and it’s only a few mins drive

I live 2 miles from 300 metres, it can change very quickly from wet to a foot of snow.

Thats quite high
    You'd have similar local weather to the road between Aughavanagh and glenmalure, well inland,rises to about 1200ft but in a high valley with lug on one side and higher ground on the other side too
    I remember in mid January 2010 driving from Aughrim to Glenmalure
    We didn't get more than half way
    Heavy rain in Arklow, was raining a flood all day
    Heavy rain in Aughrim, sleety wet snow at Aughavanagh,then a kilometer on,total white out with us tracking a covered road
    We got about another kilometre when the road was completely blocked with a drift
    A whole different universe
    We didn't turn round straight away (and turning even in a 4wd was not easy) ,we just got out the taboggans
    Up there I think most everything that week and since Jan 1st fell as snow so my had it piled up
    We could see houses in the distance completely cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

27mm for me in meath and no temp drop yet, 9.8c, very breezy now to since the rain cleared, really dont need more rain now for at least a week

We could do with no rain here for several weeks, 80+mm has fallen so far this month.
    Nice little temperature divide accross the country now.
    https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

30.5mm on me rain gauge since yesterday evening or should I say Monday evening now. All that's certain with weather is rain. Snow just fcuks off.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 Privacy Notice

Balmy evening here in

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I expect some snow again on the high ground in kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Miserable day. Rained non stop. Cleared a while ago with a bit of sleet on the back end of it. A touch of frost come morning the roads will be lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

There is a risk some parts of Ulster will see a
    dusting of snow on Thursday morning. Highest risk of low level areas seen any snowfall will be this weekend. Some showers may merge into longer spells or bands. West, northwest and north at the highest risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest HARMONIE,

harmonieeur40-42-14-3_dvn2.png

MET ÉIREANN
    WEDNESDAY 20TH JANUARY
    On Wednesday, rain will continue in Leinster and east Munster. It will be heavy at times and will turn to sleet or snow in parts of Leinster in the afternoon, especially on high ground. It will be brighter in Ulster and Connacht with sunny spells and scattered showers, some wintry. Highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees with moderate northwest breezes.

web17_sat_eur_irrad_202101200415.jpeg

Leading edge of band approaching south

Updated MET ÉIREANN forecast
    05:07

TODAY - WEDNESDAY 20TH JANUARY
    Rain in many areas early this morning and continuing today in Leinster and Munster. It will be heavy at times and will turning to sleet or snow in parts of east and south Leinster this afternoon, especially on high ground. Sunny spells and scattered showers following from the northwest. Highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees with moderate northwest breezes.

anim_ir.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

42mm of rain in 36 hrs or so. Spring, hurry up, need the warmth of the sun on my back. This wishy washy will it won't it sleety rainy snow event, is of zero interest.

42mm of rain in 36 hrs or so. Spring, hurry up, need the warmth of the sun on my back. This wishy washy will it won't it sleety rainy snow event, is of zero interest.

Wishy washy is what drives this forum :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Wicklow

Falls of sleet and snow today with significant snow accumulations on hills and mountains.

Valid: 10:00 Wednesday 20/01/2021 to 19:00 Wednesday 20/01/2021

Issued: 07:00 Wednesday 20/01/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Gardai will be busy with fines around Wicklow again :D

EsKQA3aXcAAAqyZ.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Enjoy Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

artictree charge up that phone/camera, we want pics later!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

From reading MTCs forecast this morning we are very lucky to have him on this forum.
    Im not saying his outlooks will always come to fruition but his grasp and understanding of the complex dynamics
    Of whats going up there is quiet impressive .
    His ability to put what he sees into words and make it easy for anyone to compute is also quiet special.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement