Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Community lockdown can help lower 50% of the hospital cases.

When are we going to have an adult discussion about the other 50% of hospital cases

If it is 50 percent. If you bothered to read the posts last night by majcos you would see that is not as clear cut as you are trying your hardest to make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If it is 50 percent. If you bothered to read the posts last night by majcos you would see that is not as clear cut as you are trying your hardest to make it out to be.

Unfortunately majcos was unable to back up the posts with any sources, so until then we still dont know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

We can talk around the edges as long as we like. Fact remains 50% is a shocking figure no matter what way you look at it.

We can talk around the edges as long as we like. Fact remains 50% is a shocking figure no matter what way you look at it.

I repeat if it is 50%.

Or perhaps, cases just died down all over Europe last summer including Sweden who didn’t lockdown. And countries like Ireland who weren’t even wearing masks...

Have you looked at the testing figures before? You’ll notice as well that we test more every time restrictions are eased. And we test less when lockdown is imposed.

Would be easy to look at things now and say lockdown is working. But is it really???

We aren’t bothered testing close contacts anymore. We’ve told people with symptoms to just assume they have it. January is typically the quietest month of the year. And flu season comes to an end.

If you open your eyes and stop listening religiously to RTÉ/NPHET, you might see things for yourself.

Flu season does not come to an end in January. A false claim. As for masks many people including myself were wearing them last year long before the wearing of them was made mandatory.

• Advertisement

I repeat if it is 50%.

Thats what I mean with talking around the edges. Hospital infections apparently cant be prevented entirely, but what is an acceptable number?

IMO even 40% is shocking and so is 30% or 25%.

Community lockdown can help lower 50% of the hospital cases.

When are we going to have an adult discussion about the other 50% of hospital cases

Virus in the hospital does not circulate independently of the community. The level of hospital acquired infection increased with the level of community acquired infection

Thats what I mean with talking around the edges. Hospital infections apparently cant be prevented entirely, but what is an acceptable number?

IMO even 40% is shocking and so is 30% or 25%.

So do enlighten us. What percentage of hospital infection would not be shocking to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So do enlighten us. What percentage of hospital infection would not be shocking to you?

UK numbers of hospital acquired infection would be expected

About half the number seen in Ireland.

Is the ICU survival rate still very high in Ireland?

UK numbers of hospital acquired infection would be expected

About half the number seen in Ireland.

Is the ICU survival rate still very high in Ireland?

Going by majcos` posts 20 to 25% is quite possibly what it is in Ireland as well. Unless you claim to know better than him. Do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Lundstram wrote: »
    There will be foreign travel this year for sure. From April on things will be near normal IMO. Once the vulnerable are vaccinated that’s game over.

I cannot wait to see the back of Holohan, McConkey and all the other doom peddlers. Back to obscurity they go.

Patience is key now. I’m saving like crazy and going to enjoy myself for a while. A year of our lives has been taken from us so it’s deserved.

I'm going to NY for 2 weeks in June. I'm just done at this stage.

There will be foreign travel this year for sure. From April on things will be near normal IMO. Once the vulnerable are vaccinated that’s game over.

I cannot wait to see the back of Holohan, McConkey and all the other doom peddlers. Back to obscurity they go.

Patience is key now. I’m saving like crazy and going to enjoy myself for a while. A year of our lives has been taken from us so it’s deserved.

I wouldn`t be counting any chickens if I were you chief. NPHET, Holohan and the rest of the "doom peddlers "as you term them will still be making headline news for quite a while longer than you seem to believe.

Going by majcos` posts 20 to 25% is quite possibly what it is in Ireland as well. Unless you claim to know better than him. Do you?

Hold a minute.

Is the credibility of your argument based upon an anonymous poster on a different forum?

At least my argument is based upon the statement by Paul Reid and the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I wouldn`t be counting any chickens if I were you chief. NPHET, Holohan and the rest of the "doom peddlers "as you term them will still be making headline news for quite a while longer than you seem to believe.

The sooner they disappear the better, as them gone means things are good... the term "doom peddler" is quite apt, whether it is liked or not

I dont know what an acceptable number is I admit. But you turn the question back to me so you can avoid answering yourself.

Its just that we try to prevent hospitalisations like mad at the moment. You could say almost the entire country is dedicated willingly or unwillingly to that goal at the moment.

And then you read that whatever hospitalisations this thing actually has - well it just gets doubled in hospital.

You must admit that doesnt sound quite right, no?

I dont know what an acceptable number is I admit. But you turn the question back to me so you can avoid answering yourself.

Its just that we try to prevent hospitalisations like mad at the moment. You could say almost the entire country is dedicated willingly or unwillingly to that goal at the moment.

And then you read that whatever hospitalisations this thing actually has - well it just gets doubled in hospital.

You must admit that doesnt sound quite right, no?

A 0% infection rate would be the ideal figure. Realistically if, as may well be the case, it is 20 to 25% then I would find that acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

WRT hospital transmissions, the key thing is C19 is an unprecedented situation. People here would probably try to dispute that and say it's the same as the flu, but any first hand account will tell you that isn't the case and anyone continuing to push that talking point while raising concern over our hospital transmission rate is arguing in bad faith and best ignored. Either our 50% of cases being in hospital is something to be worried about or C19 is a benign illness and this is just a normal seasonal outbreak, can't be both.

So as a consequence of nothing like this happening in our own lifetimes there's a lack of pre-existing strategy to draw upon for handling a massive outbreak of a highly contagious airborne virus. I suppose ideally we might have learned something from watching other countries struggle with this, but other countries are still struggling themselves.

There's a report here on hospital transmissions in the UK which probably apply to our situation as well

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n70

The report itself https://www.hsib.org.uk/documents/257/hsib-report-covid-19-transmission-hospitals.pdf

Mentions things like poor control flow (how people pass through different wards/areas) through the building itself, poor air circulation. Leadership issues mentioned in lack of practical strategy to mitigate transmission. Emotional fatigue/distress is mentioned as a factor. Healthcare workers getting the virus themselves and being forced to self isolate leading to more situations where people are stretched thin

It's not a whitewashing of the health system but it shows some of the complexities involved in thinking how to manage covid

Sorry almost a year in the 'novel virus' thing is starting to wear a bit thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Multiple off topic posts deleted.

Yeah foreign travel will happen this year. I am planning on a foreign holiday somewhere this summer. Dont care where it is as long as i can get out of this kip of a country. Tony and his cronies can do one if they still think they can stop people going on holidays. There was some clown on the radio this evening saying we shouldnt come out of the current restrictions until there are at least 10 covid cases a day. Thats the crap we have to listen too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah foreign travel will happen this year. I am planning on a foreign holiday somewhere this summer. Dont care where it is as long as i can get out of this kip of a country. Tony and his cronies can do one if they still think they can stop people going on holidays. There was some clown on the radio this evening saying we shouldnt come out of the current restrictions until there are at least 10 covid cases a day. Thats the crap we have to listen too
    Which one said that? Was it Jack “Christmas in July” Lambert or Luke “check out my band and buy my book” O’Neill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

We had 10 odd cases last summer and spent that time stunting people’s foreign holidays and even outdoor events were nonexistent.

It’s like a “pseudo zero covid” strategy we are in with loads of talking heads and no real target.
    No wonder people will leave in their droves this summer.

dalyboy wrote: »
    We had 10 odd cases last summer and spent that time stunting people’s foreign holidays and even outdoor events were nonexistent.

It’s like a “pseudo zero covid” strategy we are in with loads of talking heads and no real target.
    No wonder people will leave in their droves this summer.

There is no chance Holohan projecting "concern" over a handful of cases last July will go over this summer, a harassed Irish public will demand his head on a pike (figure of speech, go ahead and report me) and rightly so. Contextually speaking, with the vaccines having reached all of the elderly & vulnerable at that stage it will be time to mute Holohan's mic and let us get on with our lives. I'm not hitting the pause button for that mope after April.

Which one said that? Was it Jack “Christmas in July” Lambert or Luke “check out my band and buy my book” O’Neill?

Cant remember who it was but another gob****e talking bull

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

I think you're confusing Jack Lambert with Tomas Ryan.
    Jack has been quite balanced, Tomas on the other hand.... :mad:

A part of me hopes that Tony attempts to make us the most restrictive country in europe during the summer again, as long as there's a backlash against him. There would probably need to be a bit more balance in the media for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

https://twitter.com/HantsPolice/status/1350578672990900224

I might use the same excuse. Sorry Garda, I don't watch RTE. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

jd1983 wrote: »
    I think you're confusing Jack Lambert with Tomas Ryan.
    Jack has been quite balanced, Tomas on the other hand.... :mad:

A part of me hopes that Tony attempts to make us the most restrictive country in europe during the summer again, as long as there's a backlash against him. There would probably need to be a bit more balance in the media for that to happen.

Thomas Ryan is correct. I heard that interview on the way home from work this evening. He was on Matt Cooper (who is just as bad, he hasn't missed a wage since last March either). I actually laughed out loud to myself in the car.

Another classic from him in that same interview was that we must create a "Minister of Covid19" because Stephen Donnelly has too much to do as it is.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

Thomas Ryan is correct. I heard that interview on the way home from work this evening. He was on Matt Cooper (who is just as bad, he hasn't missed a wage since last March either). I actually laughed out loud to myself in the car.

Another classic from him in that same interview was that we must create a "Minister of Covid19" because Stephen Donnelly has too much to do as it is.

You couldn't make it up.

I missed that interview but I believe he said Ireland is just like South Korea.... sure Tomas, the border between us and northern Ireland and is just like the border between North and south Korea :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Talk of schools for special needs students now not reopening. The union has stuck their nose in again and demanded keeping them closed. We have the worst minister of education I've ever seen afraid of her life of doing more damage than she has already done so we now have a situation of the government bowing to the union. Incredible stuff when you think about it.

Schools still open in the UK, France, Germany etc..

What a country.

• Advertisement

Talk of schools for special needs students now not reopening. The union has stuck their nose in again and demanded keeping them closed. We have the worst minister of education I've ever seen afraid of her life of doing more damage than she has already done so we now have a situation of the government bowing to the union. Incredible stuff when you think about it.

Schools still open in the UK, France, Germany etc..

What a country.

Those other countries have realised the importance of the next generation.

Ireland, unfortunately, is a PC dystopia. Norma has no choice really. She would be brought before a kangaroo court if she opened schools.

It’s better to screw over the tomorrow of the future generations than be labelled a granny killer today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement