Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Why no fall of in the US? How is SA having a summer surge?

Our collective immune systems will eventually reduce this to a flu like scenario, or probably even less, however the surges we are currently seeing are consistent with a pandemic rather than endemic virus

The US is probably the unhealthiest country in the developed world, it also have a few different climate's, Florida is a lot different to New York for instance, there are similar outcomes between Florida and California which both have completely different approaches.

I don't know anything about SA, but there are a lot of variables that differ country to country...we are looking at covid in a very one dimensional manner and behaving accordingly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The Government are flying a kite, gauging how can far they can belligerently push the hospitality sector into a corner. The VFI have been content to be a doormat thus far and allow destruction of livelihoods. June to a rational person without skin in the game is utter madness. This cynical stunt has been pulled before, "ah sure won't the plebs be grateful if we dangle early May in front of them instead". Government should be told in uncertain terms to F-off and reassess the situation from scratch before the end of February. Public pressure will start to tell and visions of the ballot box, they won't be long changing their tune.

The Government got their fingers, and a lot more, badly burnt by the lack of response to the "advice" that was given before Christmas, so regardless of how many kites are flown, and possibly blown out of the sky by the response, they are going to be more than ultra cautious about any sort of relaxing of restrictions, and no matter how much pressure comes from the various vested interests, I for one do not want to see a relaxation that leads to a repeat of the sort of spike that we're seeing right now.

Things like track and trace are not giving accurate indications of what is causing the various clusters, and realistically, even if they extend the scope, it's going to be hard to get some people to accurately remember where they were over a week ago, so we're going to have to recognise that proving where a cluster started is increasingly an academic exercise

We all need to recognise that the critical issue we all face over the next few months is not listening to worn out mantras from NPHET, it's down to being aware of our own personal circumstances and taking personal responsibilty for the actions we take, wether in the home, or at work, or wherever we are.

All of us, whatever age, have to recognise that we cannot hide behind Government advice, or NPHET, or any of the other things that we try to pretend are a reason for not doing what we are asked to.

As for things like holidays outside of Ireland, and some of the other things that we have become accustomed to doing, they're going to be on hold for some time to come, if for no other reason than to make absolutely sure that new variants of Covid are contained for as long as possible, in order to give the vaccines that are coming on stream the best possible chance of giving as many people as possible the ability to live the sort of life that they want to continue doing.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Holidays and other things that we’ve become accustomed to doing might be on hold for you Steve but a lot of us are getting on with our lives once the Spring comes and the vaccine is being rolled out. I’ve donned the green jersey now for long enough if the rest of Europe is open I’ll be gone as will hundreds of thousands of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭y2k2020

Holidays and other things that we’ve become accustomed to doing might be on hold for you Steve but a lot of us are getting on with our lives once the Spring comes and the vaccine is being rolled out. I’ve donned the green jersey now for long enough if the rest of Europe is open I’ll be gone as will hundreds of thousands of others.

Exactly

I was in Portugal in June for a week and it was brillant, so quiet, perfect weather, lovely food, have nothing booked yet but thinking May

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nothing stopping you going on holiday now.

There may be more terms and conditions come the Summer if you want to holiday in Europe or at least in some parts.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you going on holiday now.

There may be more terms and conditions come the Summer if you want to holiday in Europe or at least in some parts.

The funny thing is I often think that it would be a source of great joy for certain people if that was the case. What extra terms and conditions would you like to see imposed boggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tullogher WRLD

I was going to try and post up in this thread for a while so I here I go. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that this Covid-19 situation is getting a bit long in the day now. We are nearly a year into our first official case (this thing has obviously been here for longer than that) and I could have never imagined we would be like this again, or maybe I didn't want to. I've followed these discussions nearly since the very beginning. I've been educated, amazed, appalled, amused, confused and enlightened by what I've seen some days. To cut to the chase can we continue with the way things are right now? Not really no. Some people think we can stay closed until this virus magically disappears. Only 3 viruses have ever been completely driven to extinction on purpose: SARS, smallpox and rinderpest. Unfortunately this thing is going to be here for quite some time yet. I'm not a Covid denier, for some reason people on here that are severely fed up with the current restrictions are labelled that way. For some insight I gave up hurling with my club last summer because I'm in regular contact with my grandparents, and to be 19 years old and that be my only social outlet it was very tough. But my grandparents are my world so I didn't mind in the end. I've no siblings (now I don't mind that really) so it's just the parents and I which can be tough at times. I'm not looking for sympathy on here I just want people to understand that the way things are at the moment can't continue. I'd sometimes think that people should just "offer it up" but that isn't a sustainable mindset. I'd be happy with non-essential shops, barbers, hairdressers, gyms etc open in February along with being restricted to your county. I'm afraid that the pubs will have to remain closed for the time being. Maybe outdoor dining when Easter arrives. Me personally I just want to be able to go hurling training again, just to see the boys.Some of ye will find some fault in what I've said and fire away. Life for me doesn't seem to be worth living at the moment, but I'll keep going. To finish, people are trying to do their best. I know I am.

The funny thing is I often think that it would be a source of great joy for certain people if that was the case. What extra terms and conditions would you like to see imposed boggles?

Everyone jabbed i'd imagine, Boggles will sleep better at night then

Calm down. You are being beyond irrational. I never suggested I would like to see any terms and conditions imposed.

But certain countries would well implement some new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Some of ye will find some fault in what I've said and fire away. Life for me doesn't seem to be worth living at the moment, but I'll keep going. To finish, people are trying to do their best. I know I am.

I think nobody of sound mind could really fault anything you're saying, it's undeniably tough if you're a young person and through no fault of your own missing out on all these important outlets. At the same time there are definitely others who are trying to frame current figures as being a perfectly typical winter surge. This is not true, that's the kind of thing which is exasperating.

I hope things will return to normal for you soon, I think if our government doesn't at least get 60-70% of the population inoculated in the next several months (or 'by September', whatever the current timeline is) it will be a terrible failure. I'm hoping with the 4 vaccines all in rotation there'll be a more ambitious timeline by them. Maybe a fool's hope but it's all I can hope for really

• Advertisement

y2k2020 wrote: »
    Everyone jabbed i'd imagine, Boggles will sleep better at night then

That ****e may happen..blah blah blah duty if care to citizens etc..im preparing not to go anywhere as i wont be taking a vaccine.

13 deaths in this month from one care home alone in laois..this is the same shyte again..asleep at the wheel they are.

rusty cole wrote: »
    13 deaths in this month from one care home alone in laois..this is the same shyte again..asleep at the wheel they are.

Nursing home in my town of a few thousand people had 18 deaths this month, all staff were ok

The thing is most of the residents die in Dec - Feb anyway, someone dies there every week, they are getting the vaccine tomorrow I heard and I am sure some will die within 28 days of the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No its hospitality which are causing the cases and deaths

HSE/NPHET won't admit they ****ed up and blame the peasants under them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wonderful for you. Now, let me pose a question for you.

The week you leave Ireland, let's say the Covid cases are down to 20 a day, and the deaths are down to 2 a day.

Three weeks after you come home, the cases in your local area go from 5 to 50, and a couple of weeks later, your local area has 200 cases a day, and from having no deaths for a while, the deaths are now up to 2 or 3 a day.

Who do you think might be responsible for that increase?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The week you leave Ireland, let's say the Covid cases are down to 20 a day, and the deaths are down to 2 a day.

Three weeks after you come home, the cases in your local area go from 5 to 50, and a couple of weeks later, your local area has 200 cases a day, and from having no deaths for a while, the deaths are now up to 2 or 3 a day.

COVID

This nonsense of blaming people for what is a respiratory illness needs to stop.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    COVID

This nonsense of blaming people for what is a respiratory illness needs to stop.

Well said

I’m guessing poor standards in our hospitals or care homes. I’ll be going to a country more than likely a lot safer than Ireland with outdoor healthy living. I’ll take a test if necessary before and after. But I’m getting out of here this summer that’s for sure.

Any this covid blaming culture? WTF is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

rusty cole wrote: »
    That ****e may happen..blah blah blah duty if care to citizens etc..im preparing not to go anywhere as i wont be taking a vaccine.

Nice attitude to have...........not.. Better be prepared for a long isolation in that case.

I’m guessing poor standards in our hospitals or care homes. I’ll be going to a country more than likely a lot safer than Ireland with outdoor healthy living. I’ll take a test if necessary before and after. But I’m getting out of here this summer that’s for sure.

Any this covid blaming culture? WTF is that!

Welcome to the new normal. Neighbours keeping tabs on neighbours. This is the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Lads, at this very moment, I can go for pints, get a new kitchen fitted, get my hall re-tiled, get a haircut, get my car valeted, get a conservatory built, go to the gym, and much more.

There's a reality check in the post for all the pro-lockdown crowd. People are quietly getting on with life.

People are actually whinging on Facebook about more than one person going shopping in the supermarket. It's laughable!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

The Government are flying a kite, gauging how can far they can belligerently push the hospitality sector into a corner. The VFI have been content to be a doormat thus far and allow destruction of livelihoods. June to a rational person without skin in the game is utter madness. This cynical stunt has been pulled before, "ah sure won't the plebs be grateful if we dangle early May in front of them instead". Government should be told in uncertain terms to F-off and reassess the situation from scratch before the end of February. Public pressure will start to tell and visions of the ballot box, they won't be long changing their tune.

If you believe there will be an election anytime in the foreseeable future you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Not going to happen.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Lads, at this very moment, I can go for pints, get a new kitchen fitted, get my hall re-tiled, get a haircut, get my car valeted, get a conservatory built, go to the gym, and much more.

There's a reality check in the post for all the pro-lockdown crowd. People are quietly getting on with life.

Where are you Gaz?

Where are you Gaz?

Well connected m8, that's where I'm at.

If you believe there will be an election anytime in the foreseeable future you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Not going to happen.

If anyone manages to wake Ryan up in the next 12 months we could very well have one.

Well connected m8, that's where I'm at.

Life is for the living compadres. We are all a long time in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There's a reality check in the post for all the pro-lockdown crowd. People are quietly getting on with life

Firstly no one is "pro lockdown".

Secondly you can't do what you describe at the moment and whether that changes in the coming months depends on the trajectory of the disease which in turn requires people like you and me and everyone else to use common sense and some basic cop on.

Where are you Gaz?

His mothers spare bedroom drinking too many cans by the sounds of it.

Firstly no one is "pro lockdown".

Secondly you can't do what you describe at the moment and whether that changes in the coming months depends on the trajectory of the disease which in turn requires people like you and me and everyone else to use common sense and some cop on.

Firstly, there are loads of people including NPHET who are pro lockdown. Go on to Facebook and look at the comments on anything to do with COVID, and all the Facebook luvvies and curtain twitchers are crying and whinging about anybody who dares to step out the front door of their home.

Secondly, I can, lots of people are, and they are doing so safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hospitality looks closed until June

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement