Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Fitz* wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/OfficialFPL/status/1350924627569242113?s=19

Anyone know what the highest points score for a player ever is? In a single game.

Kane go 31 points in a GW for a few years back - can't remember if it was over 2 games in the same GW (assume it was)

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Salah against Watford I think.

Frank Lampard back about 11 years ago no? He got 4 goals and an assist.

Yea he got 4 goals and an assist in that game - 29 points.

It's stuff like that I dream off when I captain KdB these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Walcott went nuts for arsenal against Newcastle a few seasons back now. Think he got a hat trick and a couple of assists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Not quite 4 goals but I’ll never forget Santi Carzola’s 4 assists in 2012/2013 season, think it was GW 37 or 36, had him captain and broken into the top 1k for first time, ended up finishing 578!

• Advertisement

Just checked there:

The Top 5 single game scores ever are:

Salah: 29 points (Against Watford in 2018)
    Lampard: 28 points (Against Aston Villa in 2010)
    Watson: 27 points (Against Leeds in 2003)
    Riise: 27 points (Against West Brom in 2004)
    Walcott: 26 points (Against Newcastle in 2012)

Actually considering the tweet above by FPL saying two defenders scored 27 points on two occasions then they probably both hold the joint-third highest single game score.

EDIT: Amended above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

No harm but this post is mostly what is wrong with the internet.

Who the **** talked about mental health ?

Who talked about feeling attacked THAT much ?

Also your ‘friends’ sound like Dicks to me.

‘Bants’ is very much for male humans that are still insecure children and will hopefully one day grow to be men.

Hope that hasn’t impacted your mental health too much.
    Fricking hell. Are you for real. You actually get upset by fantasy football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Didn’t Defoe score 5 for Spurs one time. Or four with four Robbie Keane assists. Remember a few monster fabregas scores too in his Arsenal days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

eggy81 wrote: »
    Didn’t Defoe score 5 for Spurs one time. Or four with four Robbie Keane assists. Remember a few monster fabregas scores too in his Arsenal days.

Augero did something similar against Newcastle but Midfielders get extra points for scoring, 5 goas for a striker is 'only' 25 pts

• Advertisement

Was looking at other stats when searching for the above and see the highest score in a week from a FF player was 226 (or at least highest I could find)

This lad got 226
    https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/723485434702102528

• Registered Users Posts: 32,837 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eggy81 wrote: »
    Fricking hell. Are you for real. You actually get upset by fantasy football?

I know I do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Fitz* wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/OfficialFPL/status/1350924627569242113?s=19

Anyone know what the highest points score for a player ever is? In a single game.

2003 and 2005 ? 18 and 16 years ago....

Like, what way was the points system even done back then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Am I the only one who hates Stones?

Rotation risk when the others are back and blocks a nice future City DGW gamble.

Points ceiling of 6

This aged well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

COH wrote: »
    I'm probably in the minority - but those posts dont really bother me at all. I like this forum and during the match days its like sitting around the pub watching a match with your mates ... theres always some level of banter, poking fun, but its never malicious.

Ultimately its a game of strategy, and luck. We all find ourselves on both sides of the divide every week. Sure its not great when things dont go your way, but if you have transferred out a defender who concedes or of your cup apponents players gets booked those have every bit as much am impact as your own player scoring so I dont see the problem with celebrating or talking about it. My mates whatsapp me delighting in my misfortune all the time and vice versa... I woke up this morning to a message telling asking me how I felt about Chilwell not getting an assist makes me feel with a sarcastic smiley face. Funny f*cker :pac:

This is the only forum I use on boards at all anymore ... I think its great and the level of info, help and bants is generally top quality (the matchday threads are my fav imo). If someone feels attacked or their mental health is effected THAT much by someone benefitting from their captain blanking etc. then thats their line in the sand tbh and the only acronym I would suggest is 'RIJAG'.

Relax, its just a game.

We are all friends here, sitting around the virtual pub table watching the match having the craic. I'd hate to see that turning into a safespace - but maybe I'm just a dick.

Exactly I would hate if these boards fantasy football threads went the same route Fantasy Football Scout has gone. Beardy unfit 'man children' writing articles about mental health and fantasy football. Leave that stuff for the more serious threads on boards. If someone is losing sleep and getting upset altogether over fantasy football for a long period. That to me is a clear indicator the individual has other issues underlying issues. It is not the fault of fantasy football. But the fault of how the individual reacts to fantasy football, and can not cope with any highs and lows. A microcosm of a bigger issue.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't really go into the matchday threads so take my opinions with a pinch of salt, but imo it doesn't really make sense to celebrate only your victories and not your opponents' misfortunes. The game is played relatively - your score is only good or bad in the context of everyone else's, so others' successes or failures are important and as relevant to your team as your own players' perfromances.

The real gut crunching moments in FF for me has come when some returns big that I don't have (or don't have captained), rather than one of my own players blanking.

Kane vs Leicester in 2017 (I think it was) when he got 4 goals, cost me a few leagues.

For those who had Cancelo over Stones last night, I could see that was very hard to take.

So to be honest I would find posts like "KANE AGAIN :D" more annoying than posts like "Salah blanks, nice."

Hindsight posts like "Salah blanks, nice. Don't know what their captainers were thinking, he's awful against United" - now that might be a bit much as that seems like needling and everyone can be an expert in hindsight.

But generally I'd say if you're banning one you should ban both, as both would be equally annoying if you're not benefitting. The upside would be more relevant posts to what's happening in the match, but it seems unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I have no investment in my FF team. One week I might have Vardy, 2 weeks later its Kane. I wouldn't take any mention of them blanking as anything other than, yeah you are right and that maybe I should reconsider my team.

If someone says, Delighted Vardy blanked, thats nothing to me. Only thing though would be if it was a personal reply. If someone posted, Need a decent Vardy score for my h2h and someone replies directly to that saying, Delighted Vardy blanked then thats something (and not even that big really, just a bit rude). Otherwise I just dont see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Dr. Bre wrote:
    I just discovered hewt means happy enough with that. Learn something new everyday

I though Dr Bre was suppose to be ahead of the game?

(Still) taking my time to perfect the beatAnd (still) got love for the streets, it's the B-R-E

Do you still rock your khakis with a cuff and a crease? Actually nevermind, I'm forty year old white guy posting Dr dre lyrics on a fantasy football forum at 11am on a Monday morning, I really should should get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

6 of the last 7 weekly top scorers have been defenders (McTominay being the other). Time for 5 at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

patmac wrote: »
    6 of the last 7 weekly top scorers have been defenders (McTominay being the other). Time for 5 at the back?

I'll be Wild Carding this gameweek or next and at the moment the plan is Cancelo, Stones, Tierney, Chilwell and Creswell.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »

Think i mentioned it last GW when the free hitters were doing teams - the value is in the defenders - most people might see that as boring but last few weeks have shown the returns - especially in comparison to the strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I think it’s more so the captain hindsight’s that would be the bug bearers. Not the ah I was considering him... but the why would you captain/bench him. He is **** etc..

Like this week I captained Salah... but you’ll have people say why would you, he’s been awful etc... We know this info before but we still done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Chesty08 wrote: »
    I think it’s more so the captain hindsight’s that would be the bug bearers. Not the ah I was considering him... but the why would you captain/bench him. He is **** etc..

Like this week I captained Salah... but you’ll have people say why would you, he’s been awful etc... We know this info before but we still done it.

Salah still has 1 game to play too so no one should be commenting on it yet.

Likewise with Sterling, although in better(ish) form recently, many still went with him (C) although he missed a penalty having not started last time out in a Pep roulette team and returned (just!)

Both players are proven FPL assets with masive ceilings.

Not one player was the standout captain choice for me this week. KDB, Sterling, Fernandes, Salah, Vardy all capable of big dbl digit scores.

FPL is luck, risk and strategy. Add covid and it's a free for all.

No one would've predicted Stones getting 21 points, not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I don't think there's anything too egregious on here generally compared to other social media and even other forums on Boards.

Seeing other people taking joy in your last minute double clean sheet wipeout or relishing your captain blanking can be a fleeting pain in the h0le but nothing more than that for me tbh.

Boards is my main source of FPL info since I finally quit Twitter a few months back....the match day threads are always useful imho especially as I rarely see live games these days.

I think we do a fairly good job on self policing....anyone acting the ballix stands out like a sore thumb.

One thing that grates with me for some inexplicable reason is something like "And there's Lundstram on my bench laughing at me with 12 points"....dunno why it annoys with me so much :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything too egregious on here generally compared to other social media and even other forums on Boards.

Seeing other people taking joy in your last minute double clean sheet wipeout or relishing your captain blanking can be a fleeting pain in the h0le but nothing more than that for me tbh.

Boards is my main source of FPL info since I finally quit Twitter a few months back....the match day threads are always useful imho especially as I rarely see live games these days.

I think we do a fairly good job on self policing....anyone acting the ballix stands out like a sore thumb.

One thing that grates with me for some inexplicable reason is something like "And there's Lundstram on my bench laughing at me with 12 points"....dunno why it annoys with me so much :-)

The thing that gets me is the 'I hope Player X doesn't play so I can get my 12pts for Lundstram off the bench'. Well, you should have started him then shouldn't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

We need a new acronym or initialism.

I’ve noticed a lot of a certain type of posts in the live gameweek threads for a number of weeks or months.

I don’t remember them previously or at least not as much.

I think it’s great, obviously, to be happy when your player scores or keeps a clean sheet. Post and celebrate.

But it’s when a player misses a peno, loses a clean sheet or get a red/yellow card and there is - ‘yes, delighted as I don’t own him’ type posts. ‘Fantastic to see that clean sheet go because I don’t own any defence from that team’.

Seems to take away from the nature of the forum to me. We all help each other out with decisions and information so why bother to post when a player/team you don’t own ****s up ? And just to celebrate someone’s else pain too.

It’s only in the gameweek thread it happens and it definitely feels more like a soccer forum vibe.

We could go soft - TOOM - think of other managers

or

A little harder - NNTBAC - no need to be a .....

Whatever happened to managers only talking about their own players anyway ? (in context of the matchday thread anyway)

I think it's fine to be happy a clean sheet for a rival went, that's part of the game. However there were a couple of posts in last weeks matchday thread that have no place on this forum.
    wrote:
    Jesus Christ like, De Bruyne on penalties my arse.

Why did that absolute handicap take it. Fuming.
    wrote:
    Cancelo out of the BPS the useless c**t

I was surprised no cards were issued for them and I certainly wouldn't want these to become the norm around here.

Jesus, I think that De Bruyne/Sterling one probably just went under the radar.

I know I missed it and I barely leave this place to stick my head up for oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,233 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

AdpRo wrote: »
    Not quite 4 goals but I’ll never forget Santi Carzola’s 4 assists in 2012/2013 season, think it was GW 37 or 36, had him captain and broken into the top 1k for first time, ended up finishing 578!

I remember Santi Carzola getting a 23 point haul against Reading on a Monday night a few years back and I had him captained. Memories :)

gammygils wrote: »
    I remember Santi Carzola getting a 23 point haul against Reading on a Monday night a few years back and I had him captained. Memories :)

I merely had him that night and it felt like enough!!!

• Advertisement

Salah still has 1 game to play too so no one should be commenting on it yet.

Likewise with Sterling, although in better(ish) form recently, many still went with him (C) although he missed a penalty having not started last time out in a Pep roulette team and returned (just!)

Both players are proven FPL assets with masive ceilings.

I think too many people are results based in their thinking though - Salah could go out and score a hattrick next GW - but that doesn't change the fact that Liverpool have shown little or nothing in the last 4 games.

PEA and Mane would be a proven FPL asset but i still wouldn't be putting them near my team and i'm sure many others are like that. Robbo/TAA have shown nothing to suggest that they are worth their price tags - but again if they score big in their next GW - the thread be full guys saying they were due a haul etc.

The value we've seen over the last few GW's has been in defenders - yes the midfield lads have high ceilings - but at what stage do you look at form, or returns and say you know what as a team they aren't performing, time to get rid.

The crux of the game is to have the right players at the right time. Holding Salah, Sterling etc for the season because they will come good isn't always the best strategy - because you end up holding them longer than you should for FOMO.

Advertisement