Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,832 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Happy4all wrote: »
    The cup has a nice global feel, especially in these lockdown times.

Opponents to date from:

Thailand
    Ghana
    Australia ( this will be a tough one, looking at his team).

Yeah it’s interesting I suppose, I’ve had Malaysia, USA and Norway so far. Kenya next.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,665 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

That may be good news for Timo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,233 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

New Manager Bounce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I haven't watched them recently, was Timo still playing out on the wing?
    Just wondering if we can really put Timo missing chances from open play and missing a peno down to the manager
    Think he might still need time to settle

Wonder what this means for Mount and maybe some of the younger guys like Abraham if they try to integrate the new guys in better

• Advertisement

I haven't watched them recently, was Timo still playing out on the wing?
    Just wondering if we can really put Timo missing chances from open play and missing a peno down to the manager
    Think he might still need time to settle

Wonder what this means for Mount and maybe some of the younger guys like Abraham if they try to integrate the new guys in better
    When a player is out of favour with a coach and the new coach brings him in, there is a real tendency for them to perform in the short-term.

I mean he could just be bad for English football, but mentally he will be in a place now where he is dying to prove Lampard wrong I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ace2007 wrote: »
    That may be good news for Timo :)

Lampard isn't the one taking bad shots

Another factor that will be at play here for the likes of Werner and Havertz.

One of the main reasons Lampard will have been sacked is his failure to get enough from the big money signings.

The recruitment strategy/interview process will undoubtedly have focused on ‘how do we make the most of this 200 million investment we’ve made’. Very little chance they’ve brought in Tuchel to oversee an overhaul.

Werner, Ziyech and Havertz will still have to perform for their future to be bright, but eh you can bet your arse that getting them to perform is one of Tuchel’s objectives.

Bad news for the likes of Tammy/Giroud/CHO I reckon. They will have to outperform these lads all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's a manager's job to give players confidence, so going well there another be a boost in performances from Werner etc.

CSF wrote: »
    I mean he could just be bad for English football, but mentally he will be in a place now where he is dying to prove Lampard wrong I reckon.

Sorry yeah by settle I meant Frank almost seemed to change where people were played and the players around them from game to game, hard to get consistent chances when you have to adjust both your role in the team and the way you play with the people around you that often

Would really like to bring in Ziyech when they settle on a structure / team sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

As long as chilwell keeps his place

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    As long as chilwell keeps his place
    Hard to imagine Tuchel is a secret Alonso/Emerson fan.

He's coached Pulisic before too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,162 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He's coached Pulisic before too I think

Yep, Tuchel has coached both Pulisic and Thiago Silva previously.

The obvious players that might get an uplift in form are Werner, Havertz & Ziyech but maybe Rudiger will get more of a look in now too.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Yep, Tuchel has coached both Pulisic and Thiago Silva previously.

The obvious players that might get an uplift in form are Werner, Havertz & Ziyech but maybe Rudiger will get more of a look in now too.
    People were posting media stories from when Tuchel was still PSG manager about how Rudiger was a target for him.

Paper doesn't refuse ink etc. but that could suggest he would be the preferred choice at least to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Am I the only one who hates Stones?

Rotation risk when the others are back and blocks a nice future City DGW gamble.

Points ceiling of 6

This aged well :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Wonder will Mendy keep his place over Kepa for Chelsea with the new manager. Unhappy Mendy owner here but I would have other fires to put out this week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Wonder will Mendy keep his place over Kepa for Chelsea with the new manager. Unhappy Mendy owner here but I would have other fires to put out this week. :)

Kepa is absolutely dogsh1t so no danger there.

As a Soucek owner I’m worried about Moyes getting in a player he’s previously managed in Lingard.

Does it mean Soucek dropping back a bit and only being relevant now for set pieces.

Doubt Lingard is going there to sit on the bench but he doesn’t look any better than Benrahma. He doesn’t look even half as good as Benrahma.

Now has me thinking about selling Soucek.

Unless Lingard plays off the left to replace Fornals. I always thought he wanted to work more centrally.

As a Soucek owner I’m worried about Moyes getting in a player he’s previously managed in Lingard.

Does it mean Soucek dropping back a bit and only being relevant now for set pieces.

Doubt Lingard is going there to sit on the bench but he doesn’t look any better than Benrahma. He doesn’t look even half as good as Benrahma.

Now has me thinking about selling Soucek.

Unless Lingard plays off the left to replace Fornals. I always thought he wanted to work more centrally.

Think it will be a while before Lingard is fit enough to challenge anyone so I guess you’ll at least get to see from his sub appearances where Moyes uses him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Start Martinez or Johnstone?

manual_man wrote: »
    Start Martinez or Johnstone?

Johnstone

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ros1234

CSF wrote: »
    Johnstone

I've the same 2 keepers, starting Johnstone fwiw, hopefully he has one of his 9 or 11 point weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Start Cresswell or Shaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Salah Bruno Gundogan Maddison Sterling
    Watkins Antonio Ings

Who to drop here? Thinking Antonio atm and make him first sub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

FHFC wrote: »
    Start Cresswell or Shaw?

I had the same dilemma. Then I transferred Shaw to Chilwell for a hit :pac:

FWIW I would start Cresswell. More attacking threat IMO from set pieces, especially against a patched up Liverpool defence.

Also Ole keeps playing Martial on the left, who Shaw would link up with. Reducing Shaw's attacking threat IMO. Ask any Utd fan about Martial and watch them implode with rage.

Edit: start Cresswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Watkins Antonio Ings

Antonio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Start Cresswell or Shaw?

Go cresswell. He has an attacking threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Start Cresswell or Shaw?

Shaw is a banker to start after his rest midweek. The fixtures are equally tough. Both take some set pieces also. Cresswell probably more likely to get points from dead balls and Shaw more likely from open play. Shaw probably more likely then to keep a clean sheet

Gun to my head Shaw starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Watkins Antonio Ings

I have 6 of your 8, Grealish/DCL instead of Sterling/Ings. And my dilemma is bench Antonio or Watkins also.
    Tough one, Antonio could have some joy against Liverpool's defence but now leaning towards benching him and starting Watkins. He's got 2 goals in 2 games (his first goals since GW8).

Advertisement