Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I do prefer him to Beirne, though. His much-vaunted turnovers rarely materialise at international level.

I would be seriously concerned about the lineout, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I do prefer him to Beirne, though. His much-vaunted turnovers rarely materialise at international level.

I would be seriously concerned about the lineout, though.

At international level, Beirne would be a better option at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Wegians89 wrote: »
    At international level, Beirne would be a better option at 6.

Could be. If Hendo's out, I don't know that there's anyone I would prefer to Baird. There's some gap between Iain and James and the next best. Hopefully we'll see in the coming months f he's closer to those two or Roux and Kleyn. I hope and presume it's the former.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Leinster had an absolute must-win game against Ulster a few weeks ago and he was nowhere to be seen in the 23. Was he injured? Because if not, I'd have serious concerns about a second row pairing (him and Ryan) that Cullen wouldn't play in a crunch match against Ulster, lining out against Wales in the 6N.

He’s not been playing long enough to master some areas of his game like lineout and scrum. It’s a significant jump up international level and I feel he’s not ready. Give him another half season and if his lineout shores up I’d put him on bench for international. I don’t feel he’s ready for it yet. He had a shocker against Munster as well the lineout was a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster had an absolute must-win game against Ulster a few weeks ago and he was nowhere to be seen in the 23. Was he injured? Because if not, I'd have serious concerns about a second row pairing (him and Ryan) that Cullen wouldn't play in a crunch match against Ulster, lining out against Wales in the 6N.

He played against Connacht 6 days earlier so was just being rested. He was one of the few positives from that performance too. 2 clean breaks, 5 defenders beaten, 62m made. I wouldn't read too much into his non-selection vs Ulster. That became a must win after the Connacht game, and so after decisions on how guys would be managed were made (and while the HEC games were still in the schedule).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think Baird is ready, but I'd still pick him ahead of anyone except Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not a hope Baird is starting the Welsh game. We haven't seen enough of him in recent times and, when we have, he has looked good rather than demanding test inclusion. We have multiple alternative options available which are more likely.

Right now, I'd say Ryan, Beirne and Roux are going to be out lock options in the first 23 named. They're all playing well and are the incumbents. I don't see that changing dramatically for a trip to Cardiff.

There's no way we are going to go into a game with Baird packing down in the second row and a third or fourth choice tight head on the bench.

This will be a relatively conservative selection. Keenan will probably be retained. Casey might be bolter for the bench. Business as usual outside of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think I would go with:

1. Eric O'Sullivan
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. James Ryan
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Christiaan Johan Stander
    7. Dan Leavy/Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Conor Murray
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Ciarán Frawley
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Hugo Keenan
    15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. Ronan Kelleher
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Peter O'Mahony
    21. John Cooney
    22. Jack Carty
    23. Jordan Larmour

Stockdale is probably Ireland's highest level player. I'm surprised to see calls all the time for him to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I think I would go with:

1. Eric O'Sullivan
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. James Ryan
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Christiaan Johan Stander
    7. Dan Leavy/Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Conor Murray
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Ciarán Frawley
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    14. Hugo Keenan
    15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. Ronan Kelleher
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Peter O'Mahony
    21. John Cooney
    22. Jack Carty
    23. Jordan Larmour

Stockdale is probably Ireland's highest level player. I'm surprised to see calls all the time for him to be dropped.
    I love the fact that these are reasonable enough to be taken seriously by some :pac:

Best guess at Ireland 23 against Wales (if it goes ahead). The Leinster v Munster game is going to be key for guys like Larmour, VDF / Connors / Tadgh Beirne, Lowe, Furlong and a few others to prove fitness and form:

Cian Healy
    Ronan Kelleher
    Andrew Porter
    Ryan Baird
    James Ryan
    CJ Stander
    POM
    Doris
    Murray
    Sexton
    Larmour
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Lowe
    Stockdale

Herring
    Kilcoyne
    Bealham
    Henderson
    VDF
    Gibson Park
    Burns
    Henshaw

Plenty of close calls. Could see Henderson start but I think Baird's form has been better. I suspect Larmour will have one more run out and Lowe if recovered will be straight back in. Furlong with no match time may not even make the wider squad but if he does and performs in training he's a test Lion so anything could happen.

On paper, that's a great team and bench. If it was 2018, I'd think we'd be winning the grand slam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Frawley lol

Hopefully Killer gets to play this weekend to prove his fitness. Would fix some of the front row issues.

I say.

Healy Herring Porter
    Beirne Ryan
    CJ Doris POM
    Murray Sexton
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Any three of Lowe, Keenan, Earls, Stockdale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Andrew Conway has been really good for Ireland whenever he plays. He should be part of the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

1killer 2marshall 3ap 4ryan 5henderson 6cjsaviour 7pom 8doris
    9murray 10sexton 11earls 12aki 13ringrose 14lowe 15daly.
    Is the side I'd like to see play...won't happen.. but I'd like to see that 11-15 play and see how they dovetail

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose is one of the first names on the team sheet when fit but he's still injured. In Leinster's most recent injury update he was down as having reinjured his jaw and there is currently no return date. He can't play in.the opening Six Nations with no game time. Barely played since he picked up his knock a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Andrew Conway has been really good for Ireland whenever he plays. He should be part of the discussion.

I'm a big Conway fan and he was our best winger for a while(Should have been first choice at the world cup). He was very quiet in his last few games for Ireland though, never really got into them, they seemed to pass him by.
    He's dropped down behind a few now but a couple of big performances will get him back in the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

O'Sullivan
    Herring
    Porter

Ryan
    Bierne

Ruddock
    Leavy
    Doris

Murray
    R Byrne

Kearney

Henshaw
    Hume

Larmour
    Keegan

Healy
    Kelleher
    Bedhlam
    Henderson
    Coombes
    Mcgrath
    Sexton
    Stockdale

Id like the see the above team..

Only 2 starters over 30. Murray and Kearney both 31.

Not necessarily our best (world cup final/ gun to your head) 15 but a team with an eye to the future.

Plenty of experience on the bench. And guessing ringrose and furlong injured.

I think this will be the 6 nations we realise sexton is not a starter anymore but id hope he would be great coming on with 20 to finish out a game. My worry is this will be only realised at the end of the championship and we've missed an opportunity to look at alternative starting options.. dont think he could last 5 games starting but might last 2 or 3 starting and other 2 or 3 from the bench.

Panels are going to be potentially smaller than usual this year with less call ups baring injury to protect the bubbles so id hope they bring in players who are flexible and can play multiple positions with 2nd row/ backrow and centres and back 3. it could be like a mini world cup with a panel of 32.

Id cut aki loose. Really only plays 12. Passing is very limited and doesn't offer a kicking game defences know what they are going to get from him.

Gibson Park has puzzled me.. was farrell watching rugby for the last few years?? he has been a sub behind mcgrath for 3 or 4 years. Starts for leinster in league after the saracens game and then he is a starter for ireland. He is limited. Id cut him loose too. Cooney can cover 9 & 10 at a push. R Byrne 10 and Centre. :)

We need to look at other options in the back row too.. stander is really too small for the likes of England. Hard to think of him having a positive impact against them.. (not that many have in past few years)

I just hope that they pick a balanced panel and actually rotate and mix up the squad for games.. no point on flogging some lads like Porter etc. In the autumn internationals and others seeing less than 20 minutes over 6/8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd go for a bit of consistency

Team for Wales has to be...

15 Dempsey
    14 Horgan
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 D'Arcy
    11 Hickie
    10 O'Gara
    9 Stringer
    1 Horan
    2 Flannery
    3 Hayes
    4 O'Callaghan
    5 O'Connell
    6 Easterby
    7 Wallace
    8 Leamy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

O'Sullivan
    Herring
    Porter

Ryan
    Bierne

Ruddock
    Leavy
    Doris

Murray
    R Byrne

Kearney

Henshaw
    Hume

Larmour
    Keegan

Healy
    Kelleher
    Bedhlam
    Henderson
    Coombes
    Mcgrath
    Sexton
    Stockdale

Not necessarily our best (world cup final/ gun to your head) 15 but a team with an eye to the future.

I think this will be the 6 nations we realise sexton is not a starter anymore but id hope he would be great coming on with 20 to finish out a game. My worry is this will be only realised at the end of the championship and we've missed an opportunity to look at alternative starting options.. dont think he could last 5 games starting but might last 2 or 3 starting and other 2 or 3 from the bench.

Panels are going to be potentially smaller than usual this year with less call ups baring injury to protect the bubbles so id hope they bring in players who are flexible and can play multiple positions with 2nd row/ backrow and centres and back 3. it could be like a mini world cup with a panel of 32.

Id cut aki loose. Really only plays 12. Passing is very limited and doesn't offer a kicking game defences know what they are going to get from him.

Gibson Park has puzzled me.. was farrell watching rugby for the last few years?? he has been a sub behind mcgrath for 3 or 4 years. Starts for leinster in league after the saracens game and then he is a starter for ireland. He is limited. Id cut him loose too. Cooney can cover 9 & 10 at a push. R Byrne 10 and Centre. :)

We need to look at other options in the back row too.. stander is really too small for the likes of England. Hard to think of him having a positive impact against them.. (not that many have in past few years)

I just hope that they pick a balanced panel and actually rotate and mix up the squad for games.. no point on flogging some lads like Porter etc. In the autumn internationals and others seeing less than 20 minutes over 6/8 weeks.
    I dont see why you would pick Ruddock if talking about eye on the future and talking about players around 30 years of age etc.
    People keep saying Aki's passing isnt great or is limited, but from what he does with Connacht its clear it isnt an issue. His kicking game isnt fantastic but he's still definitely one of the strongest options in the centre
    Wouldnt rate Gibson Park or Luke McGrath tbh. Would rather we got to look at the Connacht 9s along with Murray and Casey.
    Stander too small? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

O'Sullivan
    Herring
    Porter

Ryan
    Bierne

Ruddock
    Leavy
    Doris

Murray
    R Byrne

Kearney

Henshaw
    Hume

Larmour
    Keegan

Healy
    Kelleher
    Bedhlam
    Henderson
    Coombes
    Mcgrath
    Sexton
    Stockdale

A team with an eye to the future and you bring Kearney back in?

I dont see why you would pick Ruddock if talking about eye on the future and talking about players around 30 years of age etc.
    People keep saying Aki's passing isnt great or is limited, but from what he does with Connacht its clear it isnt an issue. His kicking game isnt fantastic but he's still definitely one of the strongest options in the centre
    Wouldnt rate Gibson Park or Luke McGrath tbh. Would rather we got to look at the Connacht 9s along with Murray and Casey.
    Stander too small? No.

Ruddock arguably is the form back row in Ireland over last 3 or 4 months. Surely deserves to be looked at again at international level and younger than stander and o mahony. Also at 6 3 along with the other 2 back rows I proposed they offer more than say stander or VDF in the line-out offensively and defensively.

• Advertisement

Ruddock arguably is the form back row in Ireland over last 3 or 4 months. Surely deserves to be looked at again at international level and younger than stander and o mahony. Also at 6 3 along with the other 2 back rows I proposed they offer more than say stander or VDF in the line-out offensively and defensively.
    There is just 14 months between the 3 of them. Ruddock may be the youngest but the age difference is so small it isnt a reason to pick ruddock as the younger option.

mfceiling wrote: »
    A team with an eye to the future and you bring Kearney back in?

Question mrks about alot of alternative options between injuries and defensive frailties..
    Kearney has been in super form the last few months and scoring tries for fun. Might be more stable than spectacular but we have been leaking at of territory from errors in the back 3.. im just suggesting give him a shot and let someone play themselves into form to take the Jersey from him..

Lowe - defensively and injured
    Earls - injury profile and contract?
    Stockdale - defenfensively
    Lowry - untried.
    Conway- injured?

There is just 14 months between the 3 of them. Ruddock may be the youngest but the age difference is so small it isnt a reason to pick ruddock as the younger option.

Firstly you mentioned his age. I just pointed out he was younger than two of the incumbents. Both are also in contract negotiations and may well be gone to France in 6 months.

14 months hardship on the body of a professional rugby player is alot. At times the last 2 years o mahony and stander have looked flogged to a standstill.

I still think he deserves a shot. As I said maybe not to start every match.. but as a rotatable option. More of a line out option than stander and we have been struggling there and well able to carry just as well as stander.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bilston wrote: »
    I'd go for a bit of consistency

Team for Wales has to be...

15 Dempsey
    14 Horgan
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 D'Arcy
    11 Hickie
    10 O'Gara
    9 Stringer
    1 Horan
    2 Flannery
    3 Hayes
    4 O'Callaghan
    5 O'Connell
    6 Easterby
    7 Wallace
    8 Leamy

Is there any chance this can actually happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is there any chance this can actually happen?

Probably wouldn’t be much slower now than he was when he was playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    Probably wouldn’t be much slower now than he was when he was playing.

Shut up, Buer.

Firstly you mentioned his age. I just pointed out he was younger than two of the incumbents. Both are also in contract negotiations and may well be gone to France in 6 months.

14 months hardship on the body of a professional rugby player is alot. At times the last 2 years o mahony and stander have looked flogged to a standstill.

I still think he deserves a shot. As I said maybe not to start every match.. but as a rotatable option. More of a line out option than stander and we have been struggling there and well able to carry just as well as stander.
    You have only 2 starters over 30 which doesnt make sense to get rid of virtually everyone at that stage of their career.

What sides who have done very well in a world cup have done what you suggest in years prior to the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I wonder when Pat Lam will show up

You have only 2 starters over 30 which doesnt make sense to get rid of virtually everyone at that stage of their career.

What sides who have done very well in a world cup have done what you suggest in years prior to the competition.

Do you hold up our current tactic of selection at world cups as a beacon of success??

The world cup isn't until 2023. Its not on in 2 weeks. Would be great to see an irish team try and build a larger player pool towards a world cup.

• Advertisement

Do you hold up our current tactic of selection at world cups as a beacon of success??

The world cup isn't until 2023. Its not on in 2 weeks. Would be great to see an irish team try and build a larger player pool towards a world cup.
    Im not saying anything about how we did previously at world cups but the teams that have won them havent done as you said and we did build bigger player pool towards a world cup last time. We did it quite well but we still messed up.

Advertisement