Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

There is any amount of speculation about Tina Satchwell - but this doesn't really help to identify the skeletal remains that were found.

I have to say, when I read about an older women, possibly in a nightie, wearing a cross, my first thought was of some old pensioner, maybe with a bit of dementia, wandered off from some nursing-home or convent - which just assumed that she had gone home - and no living family to notice she was missing!

Because dying in a ditch beside the railway line is just exactly what does happen to old confused or homeless people, who are sleeping rough. A few every winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

How long does it typically take to identify remains (or if not identify, at least rule out suspected/potential cases when testing)? Ballpark, I know it probably varies by case...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

No I doubt it. .A missing resident of a nursing home would have been notified to the gardai. If she lived at home it is likely that she would have had some Community care nurses to visit her occasionally.

Hard to imagine that an elderly lady would go wandering around in her night clothes and not be missed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Day Lewin wrote: »
    There is any amount of speculation about Tina Satchwell - but this doesn't really help to identify the skeletal remains that were found.

I have to say, when I read about an older women, possibly in a nightie, wearing a cross, my first thought was of some old pensioner, maybe with a bit of dementia, wandered off from some nursing-home or convent - which just assumed that she had gone home - and no living family to notice she was missing!

Because dying in a ditch beside the railway line is just exactly what does happen to old confused or homeless people, who are sleeping rough. A few every winter.
    Someone here mentioned how the body was found under a 1m mount of clay - not sure of the accuracy of that but if true then it would rule out a wandering dementia patient.

In that other case - the bones found at Rathmines last April, quite near a block of flats - the remains were identified within a couple of weeks and the deceased was named about one month after the remains were found.

So that is a sort of guideline time-frame before these female bones are identified.
    That being said, they may not even be female - first impressions can deceive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Host of speculative posts carded and deleted. Ill give the thread a last chance.

EVERYONE RE-READ THE OP PLEASE.

Any issues, my PM inbox is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

In that other case - the bones found at Rathmines last April, quite near a block of flats - the remains were identified within a couple of weeks and the deceased was named about one month after the remains were found.

So that is a sort of guideline time-frame before these female bones are identified.
    That being said, they may not even be female - first impressions can deceive.

I might be naive but I tend to believe that the assistant State Pathologist and the Forensic Anthropologist who have both been working on this case since the remains were found would have a fair idea what to look for to determine the gender.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

[/B]

I might be naive but I tend to believe that the assistant State Pathologist and the Forensic Anthropologist who have both been working on this case since the remains were found would have a fair idea what to look for to determine the gender.

Ah, indeed - if things are at that stage, you are quite right:

They would certainly recognise female bone structure, especially if they have a skull and a pelvis.

I had thought it was just a first-guess sort of verdict. Of course the pathologists know what they are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

julyjane wrote: »
    Dungarvan is to the east of Youghal and Midleton is to the west. Due to some one way systems in Youghal town I think he would have had to head east to get onto the Youghal bypass whereby one would then turn right for Dungarvan or left for Midleton but that could mean nothing.

I'd find it hard to believe that nobody knew them. In a small town people get noticed by the people in the local shop (hardly going to go to Dungarvan every time you need a carton of milk or loaf of bread), the people in apache pizza, the postman, the hardware/DIY merchants if you're doing up a house, tradespeople, the auctioneer, the people in the petrol station, suppliers of solid fuel or home heating oil, hairdressers, other dog walkers etc.

A guy from Youghal I know saws no one he spoke to there seemed to know them, it would have been around the time the story was coming out first not long after she disappeared that we were discussing it. It seems like they really did keep to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

A guy from Youghal I know saws no one he spoke to there seemed to know them, it would have been around the time the story was coming out first not long after she disappeared that we were discussing it. It seems like they really did keep to themselves.

It's unbelievable that no one saw anything, well to me anyway, as in we're an inquisitive lot here in Cork and between postal/other delivery ppl, taxis etc etc obviously someone knows or saw something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's unbelievable that no one saw anything, well to me anyway, as in we're an inquisitive lot here in Cork and between postal/other delivery ppl, taxis etc etc obviously someone knows or saw something

I think one of the things there is that they were both fairly new to youghal having only moved there the year previously and had no family there. Youghal is a seaside town whose population can nearly double during holidays. Lots of people come to stay in holiday homes or mobile homes and leave again. Ditto day trippers all year round. It wouldn't be unusual to see people coming and going and pay little attention to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

As a side note thats worth mentioning, as you know the guards carried out a sizeable dig and search in the woods by Castlemartyr. To carry out such a thing, costs a lot of money and I know the guards don't just release funds willy-nilly without having a significant reason to believe she may have been killed/buried there...

That would lead me to believe with a high degree of certainty that there is not a scrap of evidence line CCTV etc of Tina leaving of her own accord. The guards would have to pour through every little detail like and it would suggest they found nothing that suggests she left of her own will or was helped etc.
    It would also suggest that they have something that points to her being in the area of the woods. Mobile phone coverage etc. As I find it hard to believe that they would perform such a search on the basis of just a tip off of seeing a blonde woman in the woods walking.

Ann22 wrote: »
    None of us know either of them really. If he did kill her I'd guess it was spur of the moment thing but perhaps if very unhappy he had thought about doing it before. He does come across as having little common sense and a person who would enrage a short fused wife.
    If he did do it, he should have come clean. He'd be halfway through an Irish life sentence by now. As it is, it will be hard to believe anything he says if he does confess.

A lot of judgement and speculation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

inthehat wrote: »
    A lot of judgement and speculation there.

Not sure if I'm breaking the charter rules. Should I remove it mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Cona wrote: »
    As a side note thats worth mentioning, as you know the guards carried out a sizeable dig and search in the woods by Castlemartyr./QUOTE]

How far is that dig from Fitzgerald's bridge? I'm just wondering because I assume that they have tracked his journey the whole way that night and if he had pulled off at any junction they would know about it (and know where to dig).

[QUOTE How far is that dig from Fitzgerald's bridge? I'm just wondering because I assume that they have tracked his journey the whole way that night and if he had pulled off at any junction they would know about it (and know where to dig).[/QUOTE]

Quite close, especially coming from Carrigtwohill. In fact, it would be directly on route, if they had taken the back roads as opposed to main roads.

If the guards were tracking this journey via his/her mobile phone, it would be interesting to know how accurate the cell triangulation would be? I dont think it pinpoints exact locations...Maybe the know they were stopped in the vicinity and mixed with the sighting they assumed it was in the woods by Castlemartyr

All speculation of course and please dont think of it in any other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭All in all

[QUOTE How far is that dig from Fitzgerald's bridge? I'm just wondering because I assume that they have tracked his journey the whole way that night and if he had pulled off at any junction they would know about it (and know where to dig)

Quite close, especially coming from Carrigtwohill. In fact, it would be directly on route, if they had taken the back roads as opposed to main roads.

If the guards were tracking this journey via his/her mobile phone, it would be interesting to know how accurate the cell triangulation would be? I dont think it pinpoints exact locations...Maybe the know they were stopped in the vicinity and mixed with the sighting they assumed it was in the woods by Castlemartyr

All speculation of course and please dont think of it in any other way...

It wouldn't fit with the body found wearing night clothes, that they were on their home from the market.

All in all wrote: »
    It wouldn't fit with the body found wearing night clothes, that they were on their home from the market.

Has that been confirmed for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭All in all

Has that been confirmed for sure?

Sorry - mixed reporting on what clothing was found.

As a side note thats worth mentioning, as you know the guards carried out a sizeable dig and search in the woods by Castlemartyr. To carry out such a thing, costs a lot of money and I know the guards don't just release funds willy-nilly without having a significant reason to believe she may have been killed/buried there...

That would lead me to believe with a high degree of certainty that there is not a scrap of evidence line CCTV etc of Tina leaving of her own accord. The guards would have to pour through every little detail like and it would suggest they found nothing that suggests she left of her own will or was helped etc.
    It would also suggest that they have something that points to her being in the area of the woods. Mobile phone coverage etc. As I find it hard to believe that they would perform such a search on the basis of just a tip off of seeing a blonde woman in the woods walking.

I think it was the biggest search operation ever carried out in the state, there was massive resources put into it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/search-for-missing-tina-satchwell-in-castlemartyr-woods-ends-36711839.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

I think it was the biggest search operation ever carried out in the state, there was massive resources put into it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/search-for-missing-tina-satchwell-in-castlemartyr-woods-ends-36711839.html

Ain't necessarily so. I mean, I can recall a VERY large and ambitious search operation that was conducted in Dublin, (after a tip-off in a completely different case) - that was also apparently fruitless.

But here's the thing: the Gardaí really can't afford to ignore a tip-off, of any kind.
    Imagine if the witness reported something that might have been vaguely suspicious, in approximately the right area (this applies to any case, any case at all - murders, missing persons, whatever)

and suppose the Guards just shrugged it off and didn't really search hard;

Years later, when "that body" is found "right there" just imagine the hue and cry!!!
    The headlines!!

"The Guards were advised of something by a helpful member of the public, and they did nothing!!" -
    Well I'm sure you can imagine.

and sometimes even the smallest scrap of info can be useful...

- - so they may have searched, and found nothing, and it might have a waste of effort and money, but they still had to do it, do you see?

PS That being said, it does look very much as if the missing Tina Satchwell may have met a sad end, and I'm sure the Guards are working from that possibility.

Ain't necessarily so. I mean, I can recall a VERY large and ambitious search operation that was conducted in Dublin, (after a tip-off in a completely different case) - that was also apparently fruitless.

But here's the thing: the Gardaí really can't afford to ignore a tip-off, of any kind.
    Imagine if the witness reported something that might have been vaguely suspicious, in approximately the right area (this applies to any case, any case at all - murders, missing persons, whatever)

and suppose the Guards just shrugged it off and didn't really search hard;

Years later, when "that body" is found "right there" just imagine the hue and cry!!!
    The headlines!!

"The Guards were advised of something by a helpful member of the public, and they did nothing!!" -
    Well I'm sure you can imagine.

and sometimes even the smallest scrap of info can be useful...

- - so they may have searched, and found nothing, and it might have a waste of effort and money, but they still had to do it, do you see?

Ehhh, sorry to break it ya after all your typing but everyone is aware of that.

Ya...the point I was making was that the guards would have to of exhausted other areas for her going missing before spending €€€ on a huge dig operation. That leads me to believe the is zero CCTV evidence etc of her leaving on bus/taxi/car etc. Personally I think the guards suspect the worst but have very little evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Ya...the point I was making was that the guards would have to of exhausted other areas for her going missing before spending €€€ on a huge dig operation. That leads me to believe the is zero CCTV evidence etc of her leaving on bus/taxi/car etc. Personally I think the guards suspect the worst but have very little evidence.

Or they do have evidence but need a body to go further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Can someone be charged with murder if no body found?
    Any such cases?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Any such cases?
    Robert Nirac's murder

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Any such cases?

I’d imagine you would need overwhelming evidence in other areas which is unlikely as the guards wouldn’t have allowed 3 years to pass if they did.

Hard to know what evidence would be found on the body now after 3 years (assuming this is Tina they found).

This seems to be another Sophie/Ian Bailey case in the making...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

I’d imagine you would need overwhelming evidence in other areas which is unlikely as the guards wouldn’t have allowed 3 years to pass if they did.

Hard to know what evidence would be found on the body now after 3 years (assuming this is Tina they found).

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet

• Advertisement

Are you in anyway familiar with the case you mentioned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement