Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Effects wrote: »
    She had family, cousins I believe, that she used to talk to a lot.
    They were interviewed a year or two ago.

It would appear her niece, sister, family members and others have been quite active in the appeal for information online. Tinas best friend has also been mentioned though afaik has not done any interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Deeec wrote: »
    Tina supposedly left the house in broad daylight ( in a built up area) carrying suitcases and nobody seen anything. No CCTV footage ( that we know of) no record of her being on public transport. ( She couldnt drive). How is this possible? I find it baffling Richards car was only checked by gardai 7 months later.

Did their house have a back exit?

I know Tina didnt work at the time of her dissapearance, At some stage in her life though she must have worked - what did she work as?

Apart from Richard, did anyone see her return to house after the markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Apart from Richard, did anyone see her return to house after the markets?

Last time she was seen alive by the public was at a car boot sale on the Sunday in Carrigtwohill. Sometime later that evening they got an Apache meal deal which included 2 big pizzas. They would do this every Sunday. They would eat one and put the other one in the fridge for the next day. Then it is all in his own words from then on out. He woke up the Monday shortly after 9am and made breakfast. She came down at 10am and asked him to go to Aldi in Dungarvan despite there been a closer one in Midleton. He arrives home at 2 to keys on the ground, suitcases missing,€26,000 missing and her phone on the table. He doesn't contact anyone for next 4 days until he moseys around to Fermoy and calls into her family and asks them have they seen her. He then calls the guards. The car boot sale in Carrigtwohill where she is last seen in public is frequently brought up as nearly like a prop to relay conversations she had with others as to what she thought of Richard.

Oh yeah and forgot to mention that when it is put to him that there was sightings in woods he bats that one away by saying that the only place they used go for a walk was Corrin woods just outside Fermoy. Apparently Tina had an aversion to other types of forestry land but was comfortable with Corrin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Interestingly, to go to dungarvan he would have to travel east, in the general direction of where the body was found. That would be only a slight diversion from the N25. Perhaps he did go to Dungarvan Aldi. It is an alibi that would stand up if anyone saw him driving east from midleton and heading back west later on. To dispose a body would only take a 20 minute diversion.

He gives off a vibe of being a simple little innocent-boy man, but I think under that innocent-boy veneer we are dealing with someone who is much smarter and much more cunning than he is letting on.

The whole play of events just seems very choreographed.

However, on the other hand, the greenway project didn't randomly happen at the drop of a hat. He would obviously become aware that a greenway was planned. And if so shouldn't he have made plans to move the remains, or re-bury elsewhere? The fact that he didn't, would be a small piece of information that would put in the clear.

Still though, I don't like the look of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Fair play, I'd say thats enough to convict. Open and shut case so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That 4 day gap before contacting guarda

Just putting it out there - ddidnt report it Unless he thought she had “left him” and he was in dire straits / at wits end over what to do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Last time she was seen alive by the public was at a car boot sale on the Sunday in Carrigtwohill. Sometime later that evening they got an Apache meal deal which included 2 big pizzas. They would do this every Sunday. They would eat one and put the other one in the fridge for the next day. Then it is all in his own words from then on out. He woke up the Monday shortly after 9am and made breakfast. She came down at 10am and asked him to go to Aldi in Dungarvan despite there been a closer one in Midleton. He arrives home at 2 to keys on the ground, suitcases missing,€26,000 missing and her phone on the table. He doesn't contact anyone for next 4 days until he moseys around to Fermoy and calls into her family and asks them have they seen her. He then calls the guards. The car boot sale in Carrigtwohill where she is last seen in public is frequently brought up as nearly like a prop to relay conversations she had with others as to what she thought of Richard.

Surprising that there isn't a Aldi near enough to carrigtwohill when they were there that Sunday and collect whatever they wanted from that Aldi as they open late even on sun evenings rather the special journey that seems had to be done the following morning to a Aldi store to collect bird seed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I'd be careful about accusations (re TheBoyConor's post. I don't want to quote it).

Anyone can look at his interviews and see that there's something off about them, but there are other possibilities. He could live in a fantasy world, he might be genuinely grief-stricken. The Gardaí know more than we do and if they have enough evidence, they will act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

"Interestingly, to go to dungarvan he would have to travel east, in the general direction of where the body was found."

Isnt the Greenway West of Youghal?

• Advertisement

Interestingly, to go to dungarvan he would have to travel east, in the general direction of where the body was found. That would be only a slight diversion from the N25. Perhaps he did go to Dungarvan Aldi. It is an alibi that would stand up if anyone saw him driving east from midleton and heading back west later on. To dispose a body would only take a 20 minute diversion.

He gives off a vibe of being a simple little innocent-boy man, but I think under that innocent-boy veneer we are dealing with someone who is much smarter and much more cunning than he is letting on.

The whole play of events just seems very choreographed.

However, on the other hand, the greenway project didn't randomly happen at the drop of a hat. He would obviously become aware that a greenway was planned. And if so shouldn't he have made plans to move the remains, or re-bury elsewhere? The fact that he didn't, would be a small piece of information that would put in the clear.

I'm not sure what the plans for a greenway were back in 2017 but it may just have escaped his notice. They were in a bubble of 2 people really so not sure he would have gleaned information like that from talking to anyone in the local community. If he did he may not have realised how invasive construction of a greenway would have been to land around it presuming of course that it is Tina Satchwells remains. We may be jumping the gun a bit and its all conjecture but if it was her and he was involved in her disappearance I dont think not going back to site to relocate remains would preclude him. Afterall this is not a cold case and he has one of the most recognisable faces in East Cork and if spotted in a remote area like that I'm sure questions would be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Kalyke wrote: »
    "Interestingly, to go to dungarvan he would have to travel east, in the general direction of where the body was found."

Isnt the Greenway West of Youghal?

Yes,dungarvan is the opposite way to where bones found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Dungarvan is to the east of Youghal and Midleton is to the west. Due to some one way systems in Youghal town I think he would have had to head east to get onto the Youghal bypass whereby one would then turn right for Dungarvan or left for Midleton but that could mean nothing.

I'd find it hard to believe that nobody knew them. In a small town people get noticed by the people in the local shop (hardly going to go to Dungarvan every time you need a carton of milk or loaf of bread), the people in apache pizza, the postman, the hardware/DIY merchants if you're doing up a house, tradespeople, the auctioneer, the people in the petrol station, suppliers of solid fuel or home heating oil, hairdressers, other dog walkers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

gozunda wrote: »
    It would appear her niece, sister, family members and others have been quite active in the appeal for information online. Tinas best friend has also been mentioned though afaik has not done any interviews

We don't even know if the best friend exists.

That 4 day gap before contacting guarda

Just putting it out there - ddidnt report it Unless he thought she had “left him” and he was in dire straits / at wits end over what to do next?

If she did leave him in his own mind he hardly thought she would be sitting in the family home in Fermoy with €26K and why start looking after 4 days. If I had €26K of life savings whipped away from me I would be a bit more active in trying to retrieve it or find it and might be a bit resentful towards the person that I thought did a runner.

If she did leave him in his own mind he hardly thought she would be sitting in the family home in Fermoy with €26K and why start looking after 4 days. If I had €26K of life savings whipped away from me I would be a bit more active in trying to retrieve it or find it and might be a bit resentful towards the person that I thought did a runner.

Was it 4 days has passed when he noticed the 26k gone from house...that could cover that theory

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The whole story is as bizarre as the stories at the time and after we’ve heard from Richard.
    Is there any mobile phone evidence I wonder to at least verify his movements? I’m sure he’ll have some cock and bull story about not having one or switching it off.
    When we will get an update on the remains found near Midleton?

Was it 4 days has passed when he noticed the 26k gone from house

I’m not sure- it was 4 days until he reported her missing is all I know.

julyjane wrote: »
    Dungarvan is to the east of Youghal and Midleton is to the west. Due to some one way systems in Youghal town I think he would have had to head east to get onto the Youghal bypass whereby one would then turn right for Dungarvan or left for Midleton but that could mean nothing.

I'd find it hard to believe that nobody knew them. In a small town people get noticed by the people in the local shop (hardly going to go to Dungarvan every time you need a carton of milk or loaf of bread), the people in apache pizza, the postman, the hardware/DIY merchants if you're doing up a house, tradespeople, the auctioneer, the people in the petrol station, suppliers of solid fuel or home heating oil, hairdressers, other dog walkers etc.

I find it hard to believe in a small country town that someone would not have noticed her parade up the town allegedly with two suitcases? Or even notice or see her without. Get on a bus etc.
    House looked like an old style terraced street- those places have eyes

road_high wrote: »
    I’m not sure- it was 4 days until he reported her missing is all I know.

It would fit the scene that she must have left of her own accord with 26k with no intention of returning any day soon or so the narrative was meant to look like that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Deeec

Was it 4 days has passed when he noticed the 26k gone from house

I find it hard to believe they had €26K in the house. It was supposed to be from the sale of a house. To have this in cash he would have had to have sold the house privately for cash - Which is not impossible but unlikely. This could easily be verified though with buyer or solicitor.

I'm not sure what the plans for a greenway were back in 2017 but it may just have escaped his notice. They were in a bubble of 2 people really so not sure he would have gleaned information like that from talking to anyone in the local community. If he did he may not have realised how invasive construction of a greenway would have been to land around it presuming of course that it is Tina Satchwells remains. We may be jumping the gun a bit and its all conjecture but if it was her and he was involved in her disappearance I dont think not going back to site to relocate remains would preclude him. Afterall this is not a cold case and he has one of the most recognisable faces in East Cork and if spotted in a remote area like that I'm sure questions would be asked.

The greenway was mooted for a while but there had been more noise about reopening the railway. It only got the green light the past few years I think. Either way seems an odd place to bury a body with both scenarios in mind.

I don't know, there's similar houses in my town and traditionally they would have had eyes but nowadays they're fairly run down and if they're inhabited at all it's mostly to people from other countries who are more likely to mind their own business or be out working.

It would fit the scene that she must have left of her own accord with 26k with no intention of returning any day soon

We have no way of verifying any of this. Appears to be just Richards word.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Maybe I am getting his missing person case mixed up - but a year after Tina's disappearance did the husband not discover a suitcase similar to the one Tina took near a clothes recycling bank. ????

The greenway was mooted for a while but there had been more noise about reopening the railway. It only got the green light the past few years I think. Either way seems an odd place to bury a body with both scenarios in mind.

I think the body was buried slightly away from the railway line and only a skull discovered when clearing an area for a car park, the rest of the body was found when they searched surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    We don't even know if the best friend exists.

I would be fairly certain that's been already checked as part of the investigation ...

We have no way of verifying any of this. Appears to be just Richards word.

Takes planning to make it believable and seems no one can contradict it

Deeec wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe they had €26K in the house. It was supposed to be from the sale of a house. To have this in cash he would have had to have sold the house privately for cash - Which is not impossible but unlikely. This could easily be verified though with buyer or solicitor.

It was a cash deposit on sale of house in Fermoy I think or else Midleton (but they had lived in Fermoy for a period before Youghal) that was given to them by auctioneer. It wasn't all from the sale either. I think they had accumulated sums of money here and there over a period of years form wheeling and dealing.

• Advertisement

moans3536 wrote: »
    Maybe I am getting his missing person case mixed up - but a year after Tina's disappearance did the husband not discover a suitcase similar to the one Tina took near a clothes recycling bank. ????

That’s the one.
    I vaguely know Youghal- isn’t the Tesco on the Waterford road side of the town on a kind of flat area of land looking out on the sea?
    Can anyone confirm where the house is in relation to this? Looks to be on a hill so would it be the top half of the town?
    Again find it hard to believe she would not be seen with two cases in a busy car park. That’s odd enough behaviour that people would notice. Even odder was Mr Satchwell then allegedly finding them? That he’d even spot them in the first place??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement