Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People are leaving WhatsApp

Options
  • 14-01-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭

WhatsApp users are abandoning the platform for Telegram and Signal after Mark Zuckerberg updated its privacy policies to allow WhatsApp to share its users’ data with Facebook.

Telegram reported that 25 million people joined its service in just 72 hours, bringing its total active users to half a billion.
    Signal has also seen a huge boost in numbers.

Are we seeing the beginning of something here?
    I have downloaded both Telegram and Signal as i also won't be accepting WhatsApp new terms and conditions.
    Maybe it's time to bring competitors into the arena

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Any evidence that WhatsApp have lost users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out of fashion. These tech things come and go. Remember MySpace? Remember bebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Any evidence that WhatsApp have lost users?

The deadline to accept the new condition is 8th Feb, not sure if anyone has left already - i haven't yet - but after the deadline whoever hasn't accepted the conditions will not be able to use the app anymore.
    The millions of people who signed up for Telegram and Signal in the last few days might be an indication that WhatsApp is going to shed a few users soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out of fashion. These tech things come and go. Remember MySpace? Remember bebo?

The fella who sold bebo for something like 300 or 400 million dollars bought it back about 2 years later for 1 million purely for nostalgic reasons

Edit: Was 5 years later and went from 850 million down to 1 million. He probably didn't get all the 850 million though! https://venturebeat.com/2013/07/01/bebo-bargain-after-selling-to-aol-for-850m-in-2008-founders-buy-it-back-for-1m/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gmak2442

In my case, it will depends on my gfs. I don't mind much: a new app is always funny; I don't think a famous app could be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

everyones stealing your data anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭rdhma

Some Whatsapp groups I'm in have just moved to Signal.
    Will be encouraging other groups to do so.
    I have too many contacts on Whatsapp to be able to drop it completely, but will definitely be using it less.

Twitter will be next, its stocks value keep dropping.

maccored wrote: »
    everyones stealing your data anyway

Some more than others
    And too much power in the hands of too few companies has become a serious threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I still use Jumbuck on WAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Recent and not so recent events have left Mark, Jeff, Jack, Sundar and Tim pretty much in charge of the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Jim Corr used his Facebook to tell us he was leaving WhatsApp because, presumably, of its links to Facebook.

Tells you all you need to know about this alright.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Twitter will be next, its stocks value keep dropping.

Hopefully
    Its the worst of all platforms
    Absolutely horrid place.

I deleted all my fake accounts there lately, they must be hameorraging users

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The deadline to accept the new condition is 8th Feb, not sure if anyone has left already - i haven't yet - but after the deadline whoever hasn't accepted the conditions will not be able to use the app anymore.
    The millions of people who signed up for Telegram and Signal in the last few days might be an indication that WhatsApp is going to shed a few users soon.

So what are you on about in your OP so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I don't use Facebook so this doesn't bother me in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think enough people will leave to make them worry about it.

If something pops up asking is it ok that we can share your data with FB, 99.9% of users will click ok and get on with sending messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Jim Corr used his Facebook to tell us he was leaving WhatsApp because, presumably, of its links to Facebook.

What are you doing following Jim Corr?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've accepted their terms. No issue. Always use WhatsApp. Its handy. I've never used facebook etc. And have no interest in using them.

People aren't very smart if they complain about the changes to WhatsApp but willingly post their life on facebook, instagram etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There welcome to pictures of my cats and Christmas tree!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't use Facebook so this doesn't bother me in the slightest

If anything it should bother you more than, as you never were giving data over to Facebook's parent company. Now you will be.

Data is all they want so they can package it and sell it to analyst companies, advertising companies etc

• Advertisement

How can I check if I accepted these terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I didnt believe you, but its actually true...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158807400620867&id=600640866

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Facebook own WhatsApp.

I don't see the big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'd like to use something else but it would be hard to get my friends to move.
    I have deleted Facebook, twitter, Instagram and I've reduced my Google and amazon use as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

as far as I know this is not true - because the EU wouldnt allow it and FB had to comply
    it is true in the rest of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Facebook own WhatsApp.

I don't see the big deal.
    New policy

The updated privacy policy requires users to “agree” to share data it collects about you — such as your phone number and location — with Facebook by Feb. 8 or else lose access to their accounts.

This data will be shared with the broader Facebook network, such as Instagram and Messenger, and applies regardless of whether you have accounts or profiles there.

The option to share data with Facebook has existed on the app for years, but up until now, it was only an option.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7570323/whatsapp-facebook-privacy-policy-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I found out on Boards from one of his fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

RobAMerc wrote: »
    as far as I know this is not true - because the EU wouldnt allow it and FB had to comply
    it is true in the rest of the world

You still get the question to accept here but you don't have to. In the US they can stop it working if you don't accept but not here.

The Whatzapp lads left a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Seems not to be the case in Europe at least.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/whatsapp-says-european-users-do-not-have-to-share-data-with-facebook-1.4452435

WhatsApp says European users do not have to share data with Facebook
    Company dismisses reports it is forcing users to agree to share info with the social network

Multiple media organisations reported that WhatsApp users were effectively being given an ultimatum: agree to share personal data such as contacts, phone numbers and photos with Facebook by February 8th or stop using the messaging service.

However, WhatsApp’s Irish arm, said on Thursday that although users in Europe are in the process of being issued new terms of services to which they must agree, the revised agreement did not include data sharing.

“There are no changes to WhatsApp’s data-sharing practices in the European region arising from the updated terms of service and privacy policy. For the avoidance of any doubt, it is still the case that WhatsApp does not share European region WhatsApp user data with Facebook for the purpose of Facebook using this data to improve its products or advertisements,” a spokeswoman said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

osarusan wrote: »

I am going through a VPN out through the US for whatzapp and I got asked to accept the terms. Did anyone else get that?

Advertisement