Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People are leaving WhatsApp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The thing is, personal data isn't sold by Facebook to discover secrets.

Cambridge Analytica famously bought data from facebook to design customized feeds to influence people's political opinions.

I genuinely can not see how I could be influenced to change my political opinions, I also consume a few different sources of news and I am educated and very well-read.

Any news source I look at I always check who is hosting and funding it.

My husband is very suspicious of all social media and the likes of linkedin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

mariaalice wrote: »
    I genuinely can not see how I could be influenced to change my political opinions, I also consume a few sources of news and I am also educated and very well-read.

You need to watch the social dilemma on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

So? Mark Zuckerberg and his anal cysts can print off all my cute cat and dog pictures and pages of flirtatious sexts and shove em up his hole for all I care. Maybe he can have himself a little hand party over my profile pictures too.
    I'm not a 15 year old school girl, I pay no heed to advertising or trends. And plus, I am a marketing company's worst nightmare - I am tight as fúck and I'd make a cavan man look like a generous philanthropist.

They get my contacts? Yeah, so he gets the number of some horny hurrbag I rode off of tinder. Maybe he will give her a few flirtatious texts and nail her himself. Or maybe he will order a curry cheese chip from my local chipper.

Zuckerberg this, Zuckerberg that. The poor sonvabidge is only trying to make a buck, leave him alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I genuinely can not see how I could be influenced to change my political opinions, I also consume a few different sources of news and I am educated and very well-read.

The system is smarter than us.
    An algorithm can tell your personality type, then specific feeds are sent to you and/or specific news are removed or shadow-banned from you.
    All of this was very well explained and documented both on the Cambridge Analytica documentary and The Social Dilemma documentary on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

AnTarbh wrote: »
    Twitter has turned into a cesspit.

"Twitter is the playground of the fúcking idiot" Noel Gallagher....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The system is smarter than us.
    An algorithm can tell your personality type, then specific feeds are sent to you and/or specific news are removed or shadow-banned from you.
    All of this was very well explained and documented both on the Cambridge Analytica documentary and The Social Dilemma documentary on Netflix.

Indeed, the word is the technological singularity hypothesis is not that far away! :eek:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/cognitiveworld/2019/02/10/the-troubling-trajectory-of-technological-singularity/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Then he sold it again for US$25 million to Amazon.

Are you sure about that?

It now redirects to some other website which says it is run by the same team that runs birthdayalarm.com and I thought bebo fella was involved with that as well

Twitter and Facebook have seen $51 billion of combined market value wiped out

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/facebook-twitter-stock-price-trump-ban-capitol-riots-twtr-fb-2021-1-1029965338

Facebook saw $47.6 billion erased from its public valuation, while Twitter's market cap dropped by $3.5 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Does telegram make calls? Whatsapp is all about the calls for most people.

yes, you can make calls and video calls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes and video calls has been added in the last 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If it didn't work, advertising wouldn't be a multi billion euro industry.

Next erson you meet, ask them to name a brand of runners. Odds on they'll say Nike or Adidas. Feed people one thing and they'll think there is only one thing.

God, I know there is no point raging against something you can't change, but don't you just f'cuking hate social media in general, but especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram? Mark Zuckerberg and the creators of Facebook made the world a much worse place, since they got the ball rolling on all this sh'it. In many ways which would take ages to pin down, due to direct and indirect effects, life was so much better before all forms of social media. For a start, before social media when we moved on from old friends and people we knew, we actually moved on from them and didn't have to devote any mental space to knowing about their lives and comparing ourselves to them, and they didn't know about us. Everyone intuitively knows life was better before social media.

Even apps like Whatsapp, while clearly useful in many ways, have detrimental effects in other ways, such as giving a group of friends an illusion of being in contact meaning they are less inclined to meet up in person, and giving each other little to talk about when you actually do meet up. Also, being contactable at all times is a double-edged sword .. you can never switch off with people expecting you to be contactable at all times.

Linked-in is another depressing pile of sh'it - being almost obliged to keep a full record of your working life history for all to see and judge you on. Just because some website can be made and money made from it for the owners, doesn't mean it is a good thing for it to be made. Once a certain percentage of people are using it, it becomes the case that you are going against the grain not to be using it, so it isn't as clear cut as "its a choice, use it or dont".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Signed up to Signal yesterday. It's currently down, I've gone crawling back to Zuckerberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭rdhma

Signal is working OK for me.

Signed up to Signal yesterday. It's currently down, I've gone crawling back to Zuckerberg.

been using Signal all day, no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Still having issues here, I've friends who signed up yesterday who are also having problems with it so it's not just me.

Signal said something about technical issues due to overwhelming new registrations a few days ago. Maybe that's the problem.
    The app is flying on me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Even after a big jump in downloads, I currently stand at:

Signal: 17 contacts
    Telegram : 28 contacts
    WhatsApp: 41, just under the letter A

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Even after a big jump in downloads, I currently stand at:

Signal: 17 contacts
    Telegram : 28 contacts
    WhatsApp: 41, just under the letter A

Yeah I've just downloaded Telegram and few contacts on there, can't get on to Signal seems to be down and redownloaded Viber out of interest few contacts on there, some of them seem to use it.

Can't see enough of a migration from WhatsApp to make it worthwhile and use it for work so can't be uncontactable on WhatsApp really.

How did Signal end up trendy in all this anyway? If one was moving, Telegram is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

Is viber still going use to be good years ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mr.burgess wrote: »

I downloaded it to check yah. Very few of my contacts on it but couple of them seem to be active in the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mr.burgess wrote: »

Viber is handy for (non-SIM) iPad users who cannot use WhatsApp on there

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

How did Signal end up trendy in all this anyway? If one was moving, Telegram is far superior.

Trendy would have part to do with it, but Seamus gave a good run-down as to why earlier on in the thread:
    seamus wrote: »
    Telegram is a bit of a Frankenstein. Some kind of merge of Usenet, Twitter and WhatsApp. There are public "channels" on Telegram used for sharing all sorts of content - copyrighted material and illegal material. Imagine a WhatsApp group with 200,000 random people in it. Which pretty much guarantees that sooner or later it's going to be shut down or heavily regulated.

The founders are Russian, though it's HQed in London. The founders are aligned in opposition to Putin, which is comforting, but also means that Russia is likely quite interested in acquiring or breaching the platform.

Signal is far more of a pure messenger application, and built in a way that makes it completely secured. The lack of accountability to a corporate head also means that features won't be added or removed to please shareholders, and makes it much harder for governments to put pressure on it.

Edward Snowden uses Signal and in his words, "I'm still alive", which should tell you everything you need to know about whether it's secure enough.

Yeah I've just downloaded Telegram and few contacts on there, can't get on to Signal seems to be down and redownloaded Viber out of interest few contacts on there, some of them seem to use it.

Can't see enough of a migration from WhatsApp to make it worthwhile and use it for work so can't be uncontactable on WhatsApp really.

Both Telegram and Signal have doubled their users within a week or so.

They were hardly on the map before, now they are legitimate competitors.

If anything, it will set a precedent for multinationals to think twice before assuming that users have no power.

Signal was endorsed by Elon Musk and Edward Snowden
    You can't get a better endorsement that that for this type a product

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Whatsapp delays data-sharing update after user backlash over privacy concerns - February 8th TOS deadline moved to May 15th instead.

• Advertisement

Whatsapp delays data-sharing update after user backlash over privacy concerns - February 8th TOS deadline moved to May 15th instead.

Big tech taking a step back for fear of a backlash :D This is a great victory of users

By the way Signal released a statement regarding the technical issues taht people encountered today. As expected, too many new users!

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/15/22232993/signal-outage-new-users-messages-not-sending

Advertisement