Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People are leaving WhatsApp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Europe too

No GDPR won’t allow it, either you agree to the new pro GDPR rules for the EU or your profile is deleted, according to Jess Kelly on newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm not up to anything illegal anyway.
    Sir Oxman wrote: »
    That's what they rely on and it works.

And the last one should never be used as an excuse, seriously!

agreed, part of me cries when I see people use that excuse or it's cousin "you've nothing to fear if you aren't doing something wrong"

no awareness that "what is wrong" can change and be historically used against you. Or just the general notion of having a private life that is ...well private.

Also that you may actually want to do something illegal in peace.:pac:

Whatsapp delays data-sharing update after user backlash over privacy concerns - February 8th TOS deadline moved to May 15th instead.

Back to normal then. Everyone can sell up those Signal shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dante

Linked-in is another depressing pile of sh'it - being almost obliged to keep a full record of your working life history for all to see and judge you on. Just because some website can be made and money made from it for the owners, doesn't mean it is a good thing for it to be made. Once a certain percentage of people are using it, it becomes the case that you are going against the grain not to be using it, so it isn't as clear cut as "its a choice, use it or dont".
    I strongly disagree with this one, LinkedIn provides a lot of value for both recruiters and people looking for jobs. I have gotten a lot of great jobs through it as have many others. You just need to ignore all the ****e posted on the news feeds etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I strongly disagree with this one, LinkedIn provides a lot of value for both recruiters and people looking for jobs. I have gotten a lot of great jobs through it as have many others. You just need to ignore all the ****e posted on the news feeds etc.

I agree. I got my current job through LinkedIn 5 years ago. It wasn't advertised anywhere else. I'll most likely get my next one through it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

osarusan wrote: »

If I send a WhatsApp message to one of my relatives in the US will their WhatsApp profile send all my contact details to Facebook?

Mr.S wrote: »
    WhatsApp will still prevail as the messaging app of choice tbh. Signal and Telegram while better on paper from a privacy and security POV - lack the features of WhatsApp (for now) - the average end user only cares about that, and couldn't really give a hoot about the new WhatsApp data sharing policy. I doubt many people even understood what it means, and only downloaded Signal / Telegram because of the viral posts and news coverage.

Telegram lacks no features compared to Whatsapp, in fact it's well ahead on features!

Do they have group video calls yet? That was / is a big missing feature.

I also find audio calls a bit patchy compared to WhatsApp, which is crystal clear.

Group video calls are promised soon, although this is something I'll never use. I've had no problems with Telegram audio calls, use it daily.

It's gone to the dogs for people sharing guff in the past couple of years but I'd agree it's a good service when you filter out all the facebook type stuff.

So does lack a major feature ;)

Signal on the other hand, has a woeful UI compared to WhatsApp.

I wouldn't call it a major feature, I rarely use video calls.

True about signal, it's a bit of a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Signal and Telegram have the same features as Whatsapp but they are safer and don't sell our personal data.
    On top of that, you can download series and movies on Telegram.
    For free :-)

Signal and Telegram have the same features as Whatsapp but they are safer and don't sell our personal data.
    On top of that, you can download series and movies on Telegram.
    For free :-)

Very strange that someone so interested in protecting their data would download pirate crap from unknown sources and call it an advantage.

Very strange that someone so interested in protecting their data would download pirate crap from unknown sources and call it an advantage.

I see that as an additional benefit, you dont have to use the feature if you don't want to.

I see that as an additional benefit, you dont have to use the feature if you don't want to.

But you’re using it because it’s “safer” than Whatsapp yet you’re downloading random files from strangers. Doesn’t really add up unless the personal data thing is just a buzzword people like to use, which I suspect it is for many people.

But you’re using it because it’s “safer” than Whatsapp yet you’re downloading random files from strangers. Doesn’t really add up unless the personal data thing is just a buzzword people like to use, which I suspect it is for many people.

Considering how much power we have handed over multinationals purely by allowing them to collect our personal data, than i would say that it's more than just a buzz word.
    Telegram allows file sharing so you can download files that other users are uploading, i doubt your data goes to Mark Zuckergerg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

My question would be: can you easily transfer your history from iOS -> Android and other way around in those apps?

It's such a pain with WhatApp...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

biko wrote: »

Its not that easy, as you cannot restore on iOS from Android backup or the other way round. But that's beyond of scope of this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

It will come down to whether or not women leave the app. Men will follow if they do. Men will stay if they don't. Zuckerberg seems pretty sharp and knows that. I think Whatsapp will be fine.

Got one of two messages today from contacts leaving whatsapp due to privacy concerns.

I had to laugh, because these messages were from people who upload their whole lives to facebook or instagram every single day, and often without concern for anyone else's privacy when they do.

And suddenly they have concerns about privacy. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

What are people using Whatsapp for that has them so concerned about their privacy anyway? I thought we were all supposed to operate under the assumption that there is no guarantee of privacy online.

Privacy doesn't have to mean secrecy.
    I don't particularly fancy letting Mark Z and his business friends know what I and my family or friends are texting about.

Also, Signal is trusted by Snowden which is enough in my book.

Got one of two messages today from contacts leaving whatsapp due to privacy concerns.

I had to laugh, because these messages were from people who upload their whole lives to facebook or instagram every single day, and often without concern for anyone else's privacy when they do.

And suddenly they have concerns about privacy. :rolleyes:

They better get used to sms again.

They better get used to sms again.

or they can use Signal and Telegram like a lot of people are doing

or they can use Signal and Telegram like a lot of people are doing

This mass migration isn’t happening. The signal or telegram icon might look nice on the phone but it’s not much use when you can’t message 95% of your contacts with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Considering how much power we have handed over multinationals purely by allowing them to collect our personal data, than i would say that it's more than just a buzz word.
    Telegram allows file sharing so you can download files that other users are uploading, i doubt your data goes to Mark Zuckergerg

Have we learnt nothing from the days of Limewire and free viruses and malware in every download?

Zuckerberg is unlikely to use your credit card details. He already knows more about you then your mam, wife and best mate combined and mostly only uses it to sell you stuff better.

I gotta check out the actual change to terms before completely dismissing/accepting but o doubt it actually changes anything they've been doing up to now.

If I can get maybe 10 people to install Signal then that's 90% of my Whatsapp traffic accounted for.

I had about 8 telegram contacts 2 years ago, I now have about 40!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Advertisement

This mass migration isn’t happening. The signal or telegram icon might look nice on the phone but it’s not much use when you can’t message 95% of your contacts with them.

I migrated a good 90% of my contacts on Signal and Telegram, they are still on WhatsApp too but seem happy with the new options.
    And I keep getting notifications of new contacts signing up, so it looks like something is happening

Advertisement