Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People are leaving WhatsApp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am amazed that so many people dont seem to realise 'free messaging apps' are not there to do you a favor, they will all seek to profit from your date in some way eventually, where do you think the value in such companies is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

mariaalice wrote: »
    so what happens Telegram sell or sells its data or profits for it in some other way?

You can read their privacy policy and decide for yourself
    "Telegram Privacy Policy" https://telegram.org/privacy

For now, that is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

I am amazed that so many people dont seem to realise 'free messaging apps' are not there to do you a favor, they will all seek to profit from your date in some way eventually, where do you think the value in such companies is?

My understanding is that Signal is financed by a donation from its founder, who sold whatsapp to facebook. He's stinking rich so can afford to run a small company like signal without profit.

For now, that is my point.

Stick with SMS then so

• Advertisement

selephonic wrote: »
    My understanding is that Signal is financed by a donation from its founder, who sold whatsapp to facebook. He's stinking rich so can afford to run a small company like signal without profit.

That could happen some philanthropist funds and runs a company forever? that never seeks to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Signal is a registered non-profit. Like a charity in Ireland.

Stick with SMS then so

I have no issue with WhatApp or anyone harvesting my date, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I tried a few years ago and asked family and friends to move to signal from whatsapp, no interest from any but one person, they just didn't care or couldn't be bothered, so I'm stuck with it (whatsapp).

So what can I do?

Same here.

Try again now, general opinion has changed over the last few days. You may get a different response. A lot more people are on Telegram and Signal compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

A lot of people think the same and I understand why but your data has value and is worth money and can be used against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

maccored wrote: »
    everyones stealing your data anyway

Does anyone actually believe that going through the privacy settings actually does anything?

All of these tech giants, know everything bout you. Everything. And you're a bit naieve if you think they don't, regardless of platform.

Move for features, but you're kidding yourself if you think you're moving for privacy.

They are perfect for me ;-)
    For now Telegram is an excellent alternative. And the more people are going to move to it, the strongest the message to Big tech monopoly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

JMNolan wrote: »
    your data has value and is worth money and can be used against you.

If you don't pay for the product, you are the product

I'd be of the same mindset. Absolutely no issue with it or them making money off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

I was wondering why a bunch of my contacts appeared on signal this week

I'd be of the same mindset. Absolutely no issue with it or them making money off it.

Giving your data to one company alone (Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp) means giving mark Zuckerberg absolute control over data trading.
    Big tech monopoly is becoming a serious issue. Always better to maintain healthy competition for the benefit of consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    WhatsApp users are abandoning the platform for Telegram and Signal after Mark Zuckerberg updated its privacy policies to allow WhatsApp to share its users’ data with Facebook.

Telegram reported that 25 million people joined its service in just 72 hours, bringing its total active users to half a billion.
    Signal has also seen a huge boost in numbers.

Are we seeing the beginning of something here?
    I have downloaded both Telegram and Signal as i also won't be accepting WhatsApp new terms and conditions.
    Maybe it's time to bring competitors into the arena

I wonder did anyone who signed up for Telegram and Signal bother to read the Terms and Conditions on those platforms? I would have good odds not a single one did.

Loads of stupid people in the World who think they are clever and then confirm they are very stupid.

This was released in 2017 and is still true today. https://www.economist.com/leaders/2017/05/06/the-worlds-most-valuable-resource-is-no-longer-oil-but-data
    All of these platforms are just harvesting your information and then selling to the highest bidder. Boards would sell the information up here if it was actually worth anything

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AnTarbh

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Twitter will be next, its stocks value keep dropping.

Twitter has turned into a cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Given WhatsApp is owned by Facebook does it really makes a massive difference? Once Facebook bought WhatsApp this was always going to happen.

JMNolan wrote: »
    A lot of people think the same and I understand why but your data has value and is worth money and can be used against you.

How can it be used against you?

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote: »
    The majority of people don't give a monkeys about T&C's or what Facebook are doing...

If there is a mass migration to a different platform it'll be because of trends (most likely initiated by some vapid celebrity)...

This specific trend however was initiated by the people, not by silly celebrities or influencers.
    People still have the power to change things when they act together

YellowLead wrote: »
    Given WhatsApp is owned by Facebook does it really makes a massive difference? Once Facebook bought WhatsApp this was always going to happen.

That's the whole point, removing power form the one company that is acting as a monopoly, and making an example for other companies who plan to do the same.
    I'm sure mark Zuckerberg didn't see this coming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out of fashion. These tech things come and go. Remember MySpace? Remember bebo?

Don't know tbh think what's app is mainly a place for more mature ppl as myself and we tend to not change quickly

Did some of you really think this service was provided free of charge, no strings attached?

Edit: To avoid the apparent confusion, I'm referring to the service identified in the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Did some of you really think this service was provided free of charge, no strings attached?

Signal relies on donations, like many open source projects.

Fair enough, but you should!

Do you know anyone who has donated to any platform ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

can't people just add an extension to stop tracking?

As for WhatsApp, a lot of people joined it as it was supposedly peer to peer encryption. If that is the case what data is FB getting. Nothing from the conversations, unless that is a lie.

I also use telegram, which is fine as an app, and has some nice features. If everybody moved to it, I would too.

my mate worked in whatsapp , they can't see the conversation text but do know your contacts and the groups you are a member of.

Eh, what service is in the thread title?

Good lord...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

How can it be used against you?

Let's say you express "unfashionable" views around say immigration, or BLM or any of the identity politics stuff. Or maybe you're just in a chat group with some who do.

Or maybe you exchanged some naughty texts or pictures with a girl you met on Tinder. Maybe you did so while still with someone else.

Or maybe you have an unusual fetish

That sort of thing can really damage any hopes you night have of public office or even employment if it got into the wrong hands.

Advertisement