Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People are leaving WhatsApp

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

They also stopped sending the reminder to accept the new terms, ehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

People say they care about privacy but in actual fact they don't. I often question people about it and get the usual Sure I've nothing to hide answer. If people really cared they wouldn't use any Google, Facebook or apple services. They'd have no twitter, Snapchat, Microsoft services or tik tok.
    I have an android phone but it's running a rom called Graphene OS. A security hardened ROM with no Google whatsoever. Every single app I have is FOSS(free and Open Source). I pay €12 a year for my email account with a company called Tutanota. I use Telegram and Signal. Bromite for browsing. No app on my phone has trackers. And everything works fine for me along side amazing battery life.
    I've taken it to the extreme but people find it far to inconvenient to give up their apps thst suck up their data.

If you're not paying for a product then you are the product..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

I actually think we may see people generally becoming more self-aware about the internet use in some near future, especially after events like this. Like there was a beginning of the trend "you are what you eat". There will be "you are what apps you use". A bit more of self-awareness about websites you are using, User Agreements that you are accepting, etc.

or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

People say they care about privacy but in actual fact they don't. I often question people about it and get the usual Sure I've nothing to hide answer. If people really cared they wouldn't use any Google, Facebook or apple services. They'd have no twitter, Snapchat, Microsoft services or tik tok.
    I have an android phone but it's running a rom called Graphene OS. A security hardened ROM with no Google whatsoever. Every single app I have is FOSS(free and Open Source). I pay €12 a year for my email account with a company called Tutanota. I use Telegram and Signal. Bromite for browsing. No app on my phone has trackers. And everything works fine for me along side amazing battery life.
    I've taken it to the extreme but people find it far to inconvenient to give up their apps thst suck up their data.

People love trotting that one out, it’s a bit like the “I know a lad that said that has a neighbour with a cousin of a lad in the army and he said....” type of guff. But what exactly is going to happen you by being the ‘product’. Are facebook or Google going to empty your bank account and steal your car?

Convenience is king. Wrapping my phone in tinfoil only seems to serve the purpose of being able to tell people you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

People love trotting that one out, it’s a bit like the “I know a lad that said that has a neighbour with a cousin of a lad in the army and he said....” type of guff. But what exactly is going to happen you by being the ‘product’. Are facebook or Google going to empty your bank account and steal your car?

Convenience is king. Wrapping your phone in tinfoil only seems to serve the purpose of being able to tell people you did it.

Let's face it, it renders it more aesthetically pleasing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What benefits are you actually getting from this extreme though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out of fashion. These tech things come and go. Remember MySpace? Remember bebo?

WhatsApp has had far more sustained popularity than those two things. And people mention the things that fell out of favour but not the things that didn’t. I joined Facebook in 2008. As early as 2009, not even a year later, people were prophesying its demise. Still hasn’t happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

With what's app you get free calls world wide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

With what's app you get free calls world wide

As can all the other alternatives, it's not exclusive to WhatsApp

Thanks, I'll try Bomite too. I didn't know about it

• Advertisement

Convenience is king. Wrapping your phone in tinfoil only seems to serve the purpose of being able to tell people you did it.

I don't blame you for having little understanding of data security and the implications that it bears because we all are on the same boat after all.
    But I don't see the reason to dismiss useful information that we could all benefit from. See how little it took for Mark Zuckerberg to step back with the terms and condition demands that he was proudly pushing until a week ago?

XVII wrote: »
    I actually think we may see people generally becoming more self-aware about the internet use in some near future, especially after events like this. Like there was a beginning of the trend "you are what you eat". There will be "you are what apps you use". A bit more of self-awareness about websites you are using, User Agreements that you are accepting, etc.

or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I agree with this

What benefits are you actually getting from this extreme though?

Unbelievable battery life. Plus the knowledge that all my data isn't being harvested to make some other people very wealthy..

My phone is fully functional. You may be comfortable with all your data being harvested but I'm not. I'm not comfortable with Facebook having a profile on me even though I don't have or use any Facebook products. Same with amazon or Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I migrated a good 90% of my contacts on Signal and Telegram, they are still on WhatsApp too but seem happy with the new options.
    And I keep getting notifications of new contacts signing up, so it looks like something is happening

The only people interested in spinning the Signal and Telegram story is the people who have bought shares in either of them.

Plus any changes in Watsapp from what I read was never going to happen in Europe.

Everyone is going down the Musk said Signal is great line, then he admitted he has invested in it so of course he is saying it is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The only people interested in spinning the Signal and Telegram story is the people who have bought shares in either of them.

Plus any changes in Watsapp from what I read was never going to happen in Europe.

Everyone is going down the Musk said Signal is great line, then he admitted he has invested in it so of course he is saying it is great.

You just made that up!

The signal Foundation is a non profit organisation committed to developing an open-source privacy technology that protects free expression and enables secure global communication!

Was having technical issues again yesterday apparently. Doesn't sound much use yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I don't know how to post here but very funny image doing the rounds

Watsapp "What happened?"
    "No privacy here. I'm leaving"
    Watspp "You back?"
    "No people there. Only privacy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

A report was made summarising the security of Telegram and Signal:

It concluded that Signal has a better security infrastructure than Telegram for three reasons:

1. Signal does not ask users to trust Signal, Telegram does (and this has strong implications on security).
    2. Every communication in Signal is E2E encrypted, in Telegram groups cannot be. Even assuming that encryption does not make sense for public groups with thousands of members, the lack of E2E encryption for small groups seems unnecessarily problematic.
    3. E2E encryption is on by default on Signal, and in fact it cannot be turned off. This is not the case for Telegram, and it is bad practice in security. The choice of the security settings should NOT be left to users: that is what experts are for.

From a security standpoint either of them is a better choice than WhatsApp, because they are open source (with some caveats in the case of Telegram, see the report).

https://cqi.inf.usi.ch/publications/telegram_vs_signal.pdf

Apparently Zuckerberg/Bezoz/Dorsey are trying to get Telegram removed form their apps the same as they did with Parler.
    Another good reason to download these apps before they get removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Apparently Zuckerberg/Bezoz/Dorsey are trying to get Telegram removed form their apps the same as they did with Parler.

I don't think that will happen to be honest. Google and Apple each have their own messenger services so removing a competitor would open them immediately to being sued. It's not the same as AWS/Amazon and Parler, Amazon doesn't have a twitter type service.

I don't think that will happen to be honest. Google and Apple each have their own messenger services so removing a competitor would open them immediately to being sued. It's not the same as AWS/Amazon and Parler, Amazon doesn't have a twitter type service.

The removal of Parler from Apple/Android/Amazon store was also an example of acting as a cartel, which is illegal but they got away with it.
    Telegram is currently being accused of being a place for far-right extremists, that's the same exuse they used for Parler.

Basically, Twitter can remove users who are not Democrats, but such users can't use any other platform
    Now they are trying the same with Telegram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

The removal of Parler from Apple/Android/Amazon store was also an example of acting as a cartel, which is illegal but they got away with it.
    Telegram is currently being accused of being a place for far-right extremists, that's the same exuse they used for Parler.

Basically, Twitter can remove users who are not Democrats, but such users can't use any other platform
    Now they are trying the same with Telegram

I am saying though is AWS/Amazon don't have a product in competition with Parler so the anti-Trust/ Cartel lawsuits are likely too fail.

Google/Android and Apple arguably do have direct competitor products to Signal/Telegram so if they pull access to the apps they could loose lawsuits over it.

I am aware of the arguments about Twitter moderation and so on. Not agreeing or disagreeing but it's a different thing as Twitter aren't part of Google, Amazon or Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

Apparently
    Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am noticing a steady influx of tricklers-in on Signal and Telegram

great that people are switching over !

Advertisement