Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

End of Christmas holiday meal. Was initially going to be Wellington, but decided I couldn't be arsed, just sous vided and seared it instead. Cabbage and carrot, with horseradish creme fraiche and pepper/mushroom/cream sauce. Potato gratin, just to increase the odds of a heart attack.

Back to eating healthy tomorrow. *sigh*
    I think you forgot to cook the steak ! That's rarer than rare, Wow !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pretty solid 52/53°C throughout, just below medium rare (54–57°C).

Just the way I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

KakTxI5U_o.jpg

Chili Con Carne with a chopped tomato and a sprinkle of Jalapeno chili.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A normal electric oven? Or gas or? I thought 240 was as high as a conventional oven would go.

Electric, it's an Electrolux. It was super hot :eek:

*I switched it on again for demonstration purposes :pac:

20210109-233234.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Bbq fillet steak on homemade potato rosti with sauteed onions and mushrooms. It’s never too cold for bbq!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a Kuppersbusch oven. The dial markings go to 250° C, but there is a position past that which you are supposed to occassionally run it at to rejuvinate the catalytic converter (supposed to eliminate food cooking smells) and judging by the scale, that would have to be at least 300° C.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have a Kuppersbusch oven. The dial markings go to 250° C, but there is a position past that which you are supposed to occassionally run it at to rejuvinate the catalytic converter (supposed to eliminate food cooking smells) and judging by the scale, that would have to be at least 300° C.

Yes we have a self cleaning setting that is at least 300C too.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Beef short rib lasagna, think I managed to get 6 layers in! Had braised the meat and reduced the sauce on Monday and left it in the fridge for a few days, was almost like a paste when it came to assemble. Might try it with beef cheeks instead next time, less hassle with not having to deal with bones/extra fat

def2d19e6fb9adb6ffdfa2fd4b717e2f-full.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

cefh17 wrote: »
    Beef short rib lasagna, think I managed to get 6 layers in! Had braised the meat and reduced the sauce on Monday and left it in the fridge for a few days, was almost like a paste when it came to assemble. Might try it with beef cheeks instead next time, less hassle with not having to deal with bones/extra fat

def2d19e6fb9adb6ffdfa2fd4b717e2f-full.jpg

Six??? Where did you get your lasagne dish??

Six??? Where did you get your lasagne dish??

I went back and counted.. 5 sorry :pac: Got it in tesco recently, think what helped was reducing the ragu down so much, it wasn't much more 'thicker' than the lasagna sheets themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Feck, thought you'd found the holy grail super deep dish.. The ragu sounds amazing i have to say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Electric, it's an Electrolux. It was super hot :eek:

*I switched it on again for demonstration purposes :pac:

20210109-233234.jpg

Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Pretty solid 52/53°C throughout, just below medium rare (54–57°C).

Just the way I like it!

You could’ve just ate the animal out in the field 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Fantastic!

This is the pizza setting I believe. Conventional at the bottom and fan. Mine goes up to 270 on my neff. Jealous of the 300!

Bratwurst with caramelised onions, better mustard, ketchup and brioche buns, with German fried potatoes.

*Edited to say: that was beer mustard, but my phone knew better, apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Homemade nandos.

Peri peri chicken, with lemon rice, fries and corn.

IMG-20210110-175530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Chicken and corn tonight again....

Chicken meatballs fried in butter with onion garlic and carrots, then gravy added and allowed to simmer in the gravy.

Instant pot mashed spuds and corn.

Real comfort grub. It was a big hit.

IMG-20210111-173228.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Mexican styled baked rice with salad and homemade guacamole for us tonight. Didn't get a picture but it was yummy.

We had home made pizzas again, playing with our new toy (Ferrari pizza oven).

Our small helper dropped 50% of the dough onto the unwashed floor so we got peckish a while ago and had a few chicken gyozas. Tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Bratwurst with caramelised onions, better mustard, ketchup and brioche buns, with German fried potatoes.

*Edited to say: that was beer mustard, but my phone knew better, apparently :rolleyes:

Is this the general idea with German fried potatoes? I would try them but without butter.

https://wholefully.com/bratkartoffeln-german-fried-potatoes-and-onions/

• Advertisement

Is this the general idea with German fried potatoes? I would try them but without butter.

Any time I've eaten them in Germany they are peeled, boiled, sliced and fried with thinly sliced onions and sometimes chopped leftover ham.

The ones I was eating this week were from a vacuum pack from Lidl which you just toss into the pan with some oil till slightly crisped. Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Any time I've eaten them in Germany they are peeled, boiled, sliced and fried with thinly sliced onions and sometimes chopped leftover ham.

The ones I was eating this week were from a vacuum pack from Lidl which you just toss into the pan with some oil till slightly crisped. Easy peasy.

Thanks for that. I have potatoes I need to use so might try the original way. In future though they look fairly nice. Lidl is usually where I shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thanks for that. I have potatoes I need to use so might try the original way. In future though they look fairly nice. Lidl is usually where I shop.

Bratkartoffeln & spiegelei - ultimate comfort food. Make it often, without additional e.g. onions. As above, parboil potatoes, slice thinly and then fry. Great way to use leftover potatoes too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Started a one week challenge with deliveroo yesterday, where they get me to eat vegan options for a week for veganuary.

Pictured is the Mucho Vegano bowl with vegan chorizo with added pineapple, and the Chili del Rey tacos which come in blue corn tortillas, from nutbutter.

Secondly the vegan bento box with teriyaki tofu, noodles, gyōza and avocado sushi. I also ordered additional various sushi including tofu inari, nigiri and avocado futomaki.

6FHML8Wl.jpg

VRyQ9Ual.jpg

J0e60Mll.jpg

RYOoLPJl.jpg

J28UjLLl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dal Makhani with Naan and Poppadoms

021-B1223-6-A2-E-478-F-8983-0-A69-B164-BC91.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dal_makhani_30779

We had rolled rib of roast beef, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots and gravy.

I cooked the roast beef... in the air fryer!

A worthy experiment and a perfectly edible meal but not to be repeated. The outside cooked far far more quickly than the interior and some tenderness was lost. But still I had a joint of beef ready in 35 minutes.

Photo is just the leftovers as we were late and hungry!

IMG-20210112-194942027.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Salmon patties with some horseradish creme fraiche and a salad. Surprisingly filling.

gblRZ3p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

Same dinner 2 days running.
    Liver, mushrooms, onions and a cream sauce with mashed potatoes. No veg, but it was filling enough.
    I need to start taking pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

Started a one week challenge with deliveroo yesterday, where they get me to eat vegan options for a week for veganuary.

Pictured is the Mucho Vegano bowl with vegan chorizo with added pineapple, and the Chili del Rey tacos which come in blue corn tortillas, from nutbutter.

Secondly the vegan bento box with teriyaki tofu, noodles, gyōza and avocado sushi. I also ordered additional various sushi including tofu inari, nigiri and avocado futomaki.

Ah Jaysus, that all looks unreal.

• Advertisement

Pork and cabbage dumplings, and tons for the freezer (this was one of two trays!). Got a little dumpling crimper, makes life so much easier, aka I'm too lazy to do it by hand

o4WJ1Z3l.jpg

fpxx2wC.jpeg

Advertisement