Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I've never tried the chicken wrap usually get a snack box with curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

I've never tried the chicken wrap usually get a snack box with curry sauce.

It's quite tasty. Just chicken tenders and lettuce in a wrap, I get burger sauce on mine.

I've taken something out of the freezer so we'll have proper food tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BNKkoHxM_o.jpg

Chow Mein again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cnocbui wrote: »
    BNKkoHxM_o.jpg

Chow Mein again.

Looks lovely.
    The pedant in me, though, can't help pointing out that chow mein is, specifically, a noodle dish.
    It's like calling a noodle dish "fried rice"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

cnocbui wrote: »

Chow Mein again.

Excellent idea, i have chicken thighs defrosted for a late lunch

• Advertisement

Looks lovely.
    The pedant in me, though, can't help pointing out that chow mein is, specifically, a noodle dish.
    It's like calling a noodle dish "fried rice"!

Very true, but I try to avoid gluten, where possible. "Again" is a Chinese word meaning rice substituted for noodles ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had moussaka and a few air fryer chips tonight. The moussaka was delicious but I made it from memory and accidentally omitted the egg yolk from the bechamel. The cheese sauce was full of nutmeg, Gruyere and parmesan so although it doesn't look like much more than a puddle, it was a taste sensation.

IMG-20210106-175431898.jpg

IMG-20210106-180041318.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

We are having what I call a freezer dinner this evening.

Wedges, Mac and cheese bakes, vegan sausage rolls and garlic bread for my mum and I and chicken wings for my celiac dad and some salad. Feast!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Leftover turkey curry tonight. It was absolutely scrumptious. The breast meat was extremely tender and didn't lose anything in being frozen. I made a sauce from a couple of onions, some garlic and ginger, caramelising away by themselves for an hour or so. Then I added lots of ground spices, cooked again for a while, then chicken stock and passata. I let it reduce, then added cream, yogurt and turkey. I made flatbreads on the griddle pan and basmati rice to accompany. I added sliced red chillies and apple chutney for garnish (had no mango). Good eatin'.
    Never even knew passata could become a curry, is it a bright red curry or do the other ingredients make it more yellow/brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I make a curry with passata and I add curry powder or whatever spices I have. It turns it all brown/ curry colour if that makes sense. It's also delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Thargor wrote: »
    Never even knew passata could become a curry, is it a bright red curry or do the other ingredients make it more yellow/brown?

I'd imagine the cream and yoghurt (depending on how much you add) would lighten it up towards something like chicken tikka

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd have thought its fairly common to use passata in curries? It can spit quite a bit if simmering down (as can all smooth tomato sauces) so I wouldn't use it much; but if you want something smoother its much easier than using canned or fresh tomatos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Witchie wrote: »
    We are having what I call a freezer dinner this evening.

Wedges, Mac and cheese bakes, vegan sausage rolls and garlic bread for my mum and I and chicken wings for my celiac dad and some salad. Feast!

Sometimes they are the best dinners.

I usually call it " all the weird food that doesnt go together before payday" dinner:D

Thargor wrote: »

It's just crushed tomatoes, there are tomatoes in a lot of Indian based curries.

This curry was brownish/orangey in colour. The caramelised onions and spices added a brown base colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Thrown together dinner. Red lentil dhal, leftover naan bread and spiced chicken. First time making dhal, and seriously tasty.

gEVI0VT.jpg

Thrown together dinner. Red lentil dhal, leftover naan bread and spiced chicken. First time making dhal, and seriously tasty.

I made a red lentil dhal too but with spuds and spinach in it and brown rice and dad had leftover chicken wings with his.

I made a red lentil dhal too but with spuds and spinach in it and brown rice and dad had leftover chicken wings with his.

F*ck it. I had spinach in the fridge and meant to add it to it and totally forgot. Motherf*cker.

F*ck it. I had spinach in the fridge and meant to add it to it and totally forgot. Motherf*cker.

I think we have all been there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Thought i would have a dinner worthy of a pic tonight but alas it was not meant to be.
    Been craving toad in the hole for 3 days and finally bought the flour for it(had run out)

3 things were against me.
    1. Too much oil
    2. That Oil wasnt remotely hot enough
    3. Oven was set to normal not fan.

Resulted in a lump of stodge
    What i have learnt. Never look forward to a dish for more than a day. It will only disappoint you.

TLDR: I had a sausage and some roasted carrots for dinner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had roast chicken with baby carrots and tenderstem broccoli. Lots of butter on the mash :)

20210107-185102.jpg

• Advertisement

And a bit of gravy I hope, Dizzy. :pac:

We had an upmarket takeaway from a nice burger place that my sister in law gave us a voucher for.

Burgers with nice soft brioche and lots of toppings, fries with cheese sauce and bacon and crispy onion rings. Really nice.

Now having a bottle of sparkling wine. Because why not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had roast chicken, too.
    Roast carrots, parsnips, potatoes and garlic. Red and green cabbage and gravy.

I love my vertical chicken roaster. Did a small chicken in a hot oven in 30 minutes. Fully cooked, no pink!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

https://tasty.co/recipe/steak-and-potato-nachos

Made this during the week.. had some left over pasta sauce so added that to use it up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sausages, chips and fried egg.

20210108-183414.jpg

Made dragon potatoes today. I think its pretty much what you lads in Ireland would call a spice bag but without chicken but since have never had a spice bag, I can't say!

Basically cooked chips added to a sauce made from chilli, ginger, garlic and coriander with onions, peppers and soy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Made dragon potatoes today. I think its pretty much what you lads in Ireland would call a spice bag but without chicken but since have never had a spice bag, I can't say!

Basically cooked chips added to a sauce made from chilli, ginger, garlic and coriander with onions, peppers and soy sauce.

That’s far too posh to be a spice bag......

Bag of chips, add too much salt and too many chilli seeds. That’s how they like it! :rolleyes:

Spice bag here is a thing of glory/horror, depending on your perspective.

It's deep fried chips and chunks of battered chicken, with sliced onions and chillis, all tossed together in a wok with a seasoning composed of salt, sugar, garlic granules, ginger and chilli flakes and, I can only assume, msg.

Best eaten drizzled with curry sauce and a big bottle of Tsing Tao beer. :)

My dinner tonight was leftover moussaka.

Edited to add: five spice is in there too!

We had pizzas tonight. I realised that my oven goes up to 300˚ so the bases were lighter and puffier than usual.

20210109-193401.jpg

We had pizzas tonight. I realised that my oven goes up to 300˚ so the bases were lighter and puffier than usual.

A normal electric oven? Or gas or? I thought 240 was as high as a conventional oven would go.

• Advertisement

End of Christmas holiday meal. Was initially going to be Wellington, but decided I couldn't be arsed, just sous vided and seared it instead. Cabbage and carrot, with horseradish creme fraiche and pepper/mushroom/cream sauce. Potato gratin, just to increase the odds of a heart attack.

Back to eating healthy tomorrow. *sigh*

JSSa6DE.jpg
    HOufIvR.jpg

Advertisement