Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

You wont do a whole lot in a year, realistically speaking, if you are new to that level.
    I get what you say but if you look at the guys who retired, they have 10+ years or proper slogging in the bank, a raft of agonising losses, undoubted piles of injuries, and another pile of ruthless, and often unfair, treatment in national media, and one league title. All against a totally unfair system, that most just gloss over and turn the blame onto them. There is something tragic about that. If any young lad grew up watching it, then came to 21-22, seen the landscape and thought, this is actually a load of b*ll*x, it would be hard to find fault with their logic, beyond 'ah sure give it a rattle for a year or two'. Like it is easy for us to say at the end of the day, we arent doing it.

I never said he should expect to achieve much in a year, just that he should know whether he's willing to give the necessary committment for the next X years, or whether he thinks it's not worth it for whatever reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gizmobobs001

Orme indicated this year when asked that he has no desire to be a county footballer. The level of commitment required is something he isn't willing to do.
    You cannot blame the lad and I'd actually commend him for his honesty.
    Orme is in with the panel....

He's in with panel currently I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Orme is in with the panel....

Did you hear any other names called in? Colm Reape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

You wont do a whole lot in a year, realistically speaking, if you are new to that level.
    I get what you say but if you look at the guys who retired, they have 10+ years or proper slogging in the bank, a raft of agonising losses, undoubted piles of injuries, and another pile of ruthless, and often unfair, treatment in national media, and one league title. All against a totally unfair system, that most just gloss over and turn the blame onto them. There is something tragic about that. If any young lad grew up watching it, then came to 21-22, seen the landscape and thought, this is actually a load of b*ll*x, it would be hard to find fault with their logic, beyond 'ah sure give it a rattle for a year or two'. Like it is easy for us to say at the end of the day, we arent doing it.

That's a very negative view of football. The guys that retired have had a brilliant time representing us at the biggest stage. Look at their retirement statements. There is not one word in their statements that stands up to anything in your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That's a very negative view of football. The guys that retired have had a brilliant time representing us at the biggest stage. Look at their retirement statements. There is not one word in their statements that stands up to anything in your post.

If we all viewed things though the same prism at that poster then we'd never go to matches, be no point in having nurserys and bringing our teams up through underage with the view to trying to produce a few that have the right mix of talent and attitude to make a good stab at county.

I'm also hoping that that poster never managed to get their hands on an AI final ticket and kept it out of the hands of someone willing to believe and try help the team over the line.

No didn't hear any other knockmore boys. Bit with lockdown and just training solo may not add more till we go down a level or two.

Imagine Colm be given a call hard see why he wouldn't but if Naughton didnt get a shot at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

It is a truthful and logical view on the current state of affairs in the game. Im not saying it is my view, but rather if a guy decided off the back of seeing it, that investing the best years of their life into the gaa in its current guise wouldnt be in his best interests, it would probably be hard to make a logical case against it.

It is a truthful and logical view on the current state of affairs in the game. Im not saying it is my view, but rather if a guy decided off the back of seeing it, that investing the best years of their life into the gaa in its current guise wouldnt be in his best interests, it would probably be hard to make a logical case against it.

Its not and this is just ridiculous..... Also why post if this is not your view. There is more good with the GAA than what is wrong. There are issues but nothing at the level of your posts. Our club have loads of players coming over the summer months enjoying every minute. The Mayo IC players love their time playing for us and more importantly wanting and striving to be the best they can to win the ultimate prize. Granted these guys do put their lifes on hold but none of them would change anything. I was reading an article with Liam Mchale, 20 odd years after he finished and he still looks back on his time with fond memories. One of our best all time footballers is in the backroom team striving to make it with us, after all the years service and enjoyment he gave to us and all of Ireland. If the GAA was so septic as you suggest, why would he continue to give to Mayo. I don't get your post tbh

• Advertisement

Its not and this is just ridiculous..... Also why post if this is not your view. There is more good with the GAA than what is wrong. There are issues but nothing at the level of your posts. Our club have loads of players coming over the summer months enjoying every minute. The Mayo IC players love their time playing for us and more importantly wanting and striving to be the best they can to win the ultimate prize. Granted these guys do put their lifes on hold but none of them would change anything. I was reading an article with Liam Mchale, 20 odd years after he finished and he still looks back on his time with fond memories. One of our best all time footballers is in the backroom team striving to make it with us, after all the years service and enjoyment he gave to us and all of Ireland. If the GAA was so septic as you suggest, why would he continue to give to Mayo. I don't get your post tbh

I posted it because the landscape has changed in recent years and I am wondering aloud as to what effects it could have. If you read the piece by the westmeath player connellan recently, he references that he cannot see any change for another 10 odd years, and so isnt sure as to what that means for his younger brother (also a ic player) and the time he is investing etc. It struck me that he as a newly retired player seemed very disillusioned with his time as a player. It got me wondering if this is the reality now, and the likes of us talking about how great it is to play for our county etc, with damn all experience in the field, could in fact be out of touch with the thing a bit.
    Liam mchale and ciaran McDonald played before this issue arose, so it isnt really the same.

I posted it because the landscape has changed in recent years and I am wondering aloud as to what effects it could have. If you read the piece by the westmeath player connellan recently, he references that he cannot see any change for another 10 odd years, and so isnt sure as to what that means for his younger brother (also a ic player) and the time he is investing etc. It struck me that he as a newly retired player seemed very disillusioned with his time as a player. It got me wondering if this is the reality now, and the likes of us talking about how great it is to play for our county etc, with damn all experience in the field, could in fact be out of touch with the thing a bit.
    Liam mchale and ciaran McDonald played before this issue arose, so it isnt really the same.

Lots of counties, the majority in fact, start each year with no chance of winning the All Ireland.
    But there are still players in those counties who want to play at inter county level, to test themselves at the highest level they can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Robson99

spakman wrote: »
    Lots of counties, the majority in fact, start each year with no chance of winning the All Ireland.
    But there are still players in those counties who want to play at inter county level, to test themselves at the highest level they can play.

And if a player talented and all as he may be doesn't want to then he is right not to. Much better to opt out now than wasting a few years because of what others think of him. There is more to life than inter county football. Them Mayo boys that retired this week will probably have to pay for 2 tickets if Mayo get to the AI final next year. Soon forgotten by Count Boards.
    As I said if not totally committed to it he is right. Enjoy some other things in life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

seligehgit wrote: »

Will Galway bate Mayo? Not if they have President Joe

spakman wrote: »

Nobody said there wasnt. Would you say that there wasnt players in counties put off by the current state of play?

If it was that bad why did he continue. Also, if we were to ask a simple question to all IC players do you regret your time playing for your county. I can't see many regretting it. There are lots of positive parts to playing IC football outside of the time given for example a professional part, social relationships etc.

The biggest issue for counties is funding and this is the elephant in the room. The GAA need to get a handle on counties income and expenditure and bring structure to it and fund each county equally. This is the biggest issue and has led to inequality in the GAA. This is low hanging fruit imo but it would probably have the biggest impact in term of future development and competitiveness in the GAA.

Players like you mention above can become disillusioned but the issue here for them is most likely the lack of success and the effort put in. This does not mean the GAA has in depth problems. Dublin have just superior players to westmeath and clip them really easy. The other part you could point at is that GAA football is not as important to people's lives as it is in other counties who just spend more time in the development part of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Will Galway bate Mayo? Not if they have President Joe

Don`t take this to heart. I`m just acting the eejit on a slow Sunday with no games, but Marty Walsh is Galway man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

charlie14 wrote: »
    Don`t take this to heart. I`m just acting the eejit on a slow Sunday with no games, but Marty Walsh is Galway man.

Eh i know :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If it is the case that three more go on consecutive days then the likes of Brolly will have a field day talking about stage managed retirement messages to massage egos etc.

And bang on que
    Joe Brolly: GAA retirement posts should be banned
    https://punditarena.com/gaa/daniel-hussey/joe-brolly-retirement-posts-gaa/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

And bang on que

That man is best ignored. He has a vested interest which he declines to admit publicly, which given the standard he wants to hold all others to is quite hypocritical.

• Advertisement

And bang on que

He really needs to shut the F.U.C.K up.

Most people outside of Mayo GAA seem to be unaware of why he has a fixation with this group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

He really needs to shut the F.U.C.K up.

Most people outside of Mayo GAA seem to be unaware of why he has a fixation with this group of players.

What's the reason for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

dobman88 wrote: »
    What's the reason for it?

Wasn't he involved with Holmes & Connelly in some shape or form so has the hump ever since that faithful night in Ballyheane.

I have no idea what his actual role was though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

And bang on que

I would have ignored any articles of his but reading that summary by the42, ye know if you read it assuming that its satire it's actually funny enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

And is now using the national media to tease out grievances that have precisely nothing to do with football and everything to do with his own personal life. He burned plenty of bridges in other counties too over the years. The man brings trouble everywhere he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

muddle84 wrote: »
    Wasn't he involved with Holmes & Connelly in some shape or form so has the hump ever since that faithful night in Ballyheane.

I have no idea what his actual role was though?

He wasnt involved, but someone he knows.......closely was.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So will somebody spit it out, what happened between Brolly and Mayo? Is the fact that he mentions Audi a dig at Aidan or did Seamie have one too?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

More controversy with Mayo ladies tonight.Following the agm and a new Executive elected which included some of those who walked out last year a number of the new executives have resigned as they won't work with the ones who resigned last year and the senior manager has also resigned.

ureds wrote: »
    More controversy with Mayo ladies tonight.Following the agm and a new Executive elected which included some of those who walked out last year a number of the new executives have resigned as they won't work with the ones who resigned last year and the senior manager has also resigned.

Isn't Leahy moving to take position with the Meath u20s anyway?

The administration of the Mayo LGFA can only be described as a basketcase.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    So will somebody spit it out, what happened between Brolly and Mayo? Is the fact that he mentions Audi a dig at Aidan or did Seamie have one too?

His current gf/partner was a member of backroom team under Holmes & Connelly AFAIK.
    He seems to have taken her grievance as a personal crusade but very few people are listening anymore :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement