Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Cant believe parsons age - is it me or did he only really peak around 2017 and so was close to 30?

SOS was a great disruptor and defensive player but his poor use of the ball was an issue when you were at your peak and inside forwards needed better ball

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Cant believe parsons age - is it me or did he only really peak around 2017 and so was close to 30?

SOS was a great disruptor and defensive player but his poor use of the ball was an issue when you were at your peak and inside forwards needed better ball

Probably because Parsons only rejoined the panel in 2014 he seemed younger, but he was part of the 2005 minor team. Along with SOS, Cafferkey, Barrett, Cunniffe and Pearse Hanley.

SOS was excellent at playing kick passes into the forwards. He was very underrated in that respect. He was more prone to a wayward handpass or 2 around midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I thought Boyler looked done completely in 2018, but looked really strong again in 2019. I hoped he'd have an impact in 2020 but it wasn't to be - even the 2019 version of CB would have been a strong addition at half time against the 14 men of Dublin a couple of weeks back, replacing Durcan.

A cruciate will tend to do that. He decided against surgery inorder to try and get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Jaden wrote: »
    I expect Boyler and Higgins to go in the next couple of days. These retirement notices seem to be coming thick and fast. It's a big clearout.

A clear out means they were told to go which is not the case. These guys went of their own accord because they are at the end of the life cycle of an inter county footballer. This is the perfect way to go and that's what they deserver at the very least.

They have represented the county in an admirable way because of their belief in their ability, their attitude towards playing for each other and of course their footballing skills.
    I think they have departed the scene knowing that we are not in bad shape with the new talent.

Think of it as handing the baton over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

yop wrote: »
    Alongside Hennelly who is the next keeper to step in? Knockmore keeper seemed decent in the championship, Bryne from Cbar has been "tried" but never got a foot in and who else is there?

Roscommon's 2nd choice keeper Paddy O Malley? Was the Mayo U20 in 2018, then again Horan doesn't seem to rate him?

• Advertisement

Roscommon's 2nd choice keeper Paddy O Malley? Was the Mayo U20 in 2018, then again Horan doesn't seem to rate him?

Conor O'Malley has indicated as well that he would like to have a go at becoming the Mayo number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Was it not reported somewhere that Conor O'Malley had committed to a league of ireland team? Could he get a shot with Mayo without being affiliated with any club?

muddle84 wrote: »
    Was it not reported somewhere that Conor O'Malley had committed to a league of ireland team? Could he get a shot with Mayo without being affiliated with any club?

Wasn't that Schlingerman?

He'd have to be a member of a club. I'd imagine that he'd throw he lot back in with his home club in Westport.

Wasn't that Schlingerman?

He'd have to be a member of a club. I'd imagine that he'd throw he lot back in with his home club in Westport.

I remember Schlingerman alright, but i thought O'Malley was a similar story.

Did he play any club championship with Westport last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Squatman

lee keegan is gone now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Squatman wrote: »
    Where did you hear that as if lee is gone there is something wrong .

According to whatsapp messages flying around from "inside sources", Colm Boyle tomorrow, Higgins Friday and Chris Barrett on Saturday.

I call BS on Keegan but sure why not he has done everything else, #thingsleedid!!

If he is gone then we are back in the Ballyheane club house territory again!

Squatman wrote: »

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have heard the Lee Keegan rumour myself. Would think he has another year or two left, but he has had bad problems with his hips going on a couple of years now and also has a young child, so maybe he does want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Oh if its on What's app must be true

Oh if its on What's app must be true
    Whatsapp never lies...........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

According to whatsapp messages flying around from "inside sources", Colm Boyle tomorrow, Higgins Friday and Chris Barrett on Saturday.

I call BS on Keegan but sure why not he has done everything else, #thingsleedid!!

If it is the case that three more go on consecutive days then the likes of Brolly will have a field day talking about stage managed retirement messages to massage egos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It’s like the horror version of that Craig David song....

“David Clarke gone on Monday, Vaughan out on Tuesday, Parsons gone by Wednesday, Boyler out the door on Thursday, Higgins left by Friday”

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tml73

If it is the case that three more go on consecutive days then the likes of Brolly will have a field day talking about stage managed retirement messages to massage egos etc.

If it annoys Brolly then I'm all for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Maybe yiz are going for 7 in a row, get one over on the Dubs ;-)

• Advertisement

I don't think any self respecting Mayo fan has any business reading or caring what Brolly writes. He belongs with Waterford Whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I don't think any self respecting Mayo fan has any business reading or caring what Brolly writes. He belongs with Waterford Whispers.

Speaking of Brolly, excellent article

https://westernpeople.ie/2021/01/04/tis-the-season-to-be-brolly-but-joes-logic-is-nothing-other-than-plain-daft/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I don't think any self respecting Mayo GAA fan has any business reading or caring what Brolly writes. He belongs with Waterford Whispers.

Fixed that for you.

Jaden wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

I stand corrected! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

There is one thing for sure .
    Dinosaurs of the game including all of the rte panel . Orourke, Spillane, brolly are so out of the modern game that they rely on sensationalism to keep them in a job . Well done RTE . The prawn sandwich of analysis .

Bring in Oisin Mcconville ,even our own b joe etc for some decent analysis please

Anyone else constantly refreshing the Mayo GAA twitter feed...............

Anyone else constantly refreshing the Mayo GAA twitter feed...............

Came on here to see who walked the plank today and found no one has so far.

Maybe the PRO has slept in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

There is one thing for sure .
    Dinosaurs of the game including all of the rte panel . Orourke, Spillane, brolly are so out of the modern game that they rely on sensationalism to keep them in a job . Well done RTE . The prawn sandwich of analysis .

Bring in Oisin Mcconville ,even our own b joe etc for some decent analysis please

I saw Brolly on Tommy Tiernan Show recently (probably a repeat), and whether it's an act or he genuinely believes it, he was of the opinion that RTE cast him aside because he refused to toe the corporate line and spew out stats, and that he's the last defender of the everyman who loves to have opinions good and bad about football.

None of that is true about him. He was cast aside because rather than attack poor performances and decisions on the field, he attacks people's character and integrity. His comments about Rachel Wyse and Marty Morrissey alone would have had him in trouble in most places. He sometimes mumbles half an apology only to go and do it again. Anyone who needs to attack someone's character to boost his own, isn't worth listening to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I saw Brolly on Tommy Tiernan Show recently (probably a repeat), and whether it's an act or he genuinely believes it, he was of the opinion that RTE cast him aside because he refused to toe the corporate line and spew out stats, and that he's the last defender of the everyman who loves to have opinions good and bad about football.

None of that is true about him. He was cast aside because rather than attack poor performances and decisions on the field, he attacks people's character and integrity. His comments about Rachel Wyse and Marty Morrissey alone would have had him in trouble in most places. He sometimes mumbles half an apology only to go and do it again. Anyone who needs to attack someone's character to boost his own, isn't worth listening to.

Never liked Brolly since I think it was the week before the 2012 final where he wrote a hatchet piece for the Sunday Indo about Mayo.

He basically said Mayo played the game in a manner that was beyond the rules of the game and the ref should be aware of it in the final. Clearly trying to influence the referee and at the same time highlighting his Ulster bias while failing to acknowledge that Donegal were far from saints themselves.

He seems to have a real dislike for Mayo and his last piece about AOS and the Mayo team was a pathetic piece of so called journalism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement