Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Intercounty football became a whole lot less sexy today. We'll miss you, Tom Parsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

muddle84 wrote: »
    Thats all the likely candidates i would think. Unless Harrison due to injury. You would hope not all those names call it a day, Boyler and Zippy especially. But if they are not making the team.........

Harrison is most likely to call it a day. His body isn't able to cope with the demands that IC puts on it. Doc won't retire now. He'll see how the body responds when he comes back.

Fully expect Seamie, Boyler and Zippy to retire as well.

Barrett is a funny one. He'd be a 50:50 shout to retire. Young family, based in Dublin, transferred to Clontarf but then had a great finish to the season. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Harrison is most likely to call it a day. His body isn't able to cope with the demands that IC puts on it. Doc won't retire now. He'll see how the body responds when he comes back.

Barrett is a funny one. He'd be a 50:50 shout to retire. Young family, based in Dublin, transferred to Clontarf but then had a great finish to the season. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Couldn't blame Brendan Harrison in such circumstances.

I'd be very surprised if Jason Doherty called it a day.

In spite of his good form it wouldn't surprise if Chris Barrett calls it a day.

Happy retirement to Tom Parsons.

A true legend.

The sacrifices he made post his near catastrophic injury were astonishing,ditto the sacrifices the Dublin based players in particular make are immense.

Lives on hold.

Loved the way he wore the love for his native county proudly on his sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

Is it a push to say he was one of the best midfielders in the country in 2016 & 2017?

seligehgit wrote: »
    C

Happy retirement to Tom Parsons.

A true legend.

The sacrifices he made post his near catastrophic injury were astonishing.

I said at the time that he'd do well to walk without a limp. To get back to where he did says all we need to know about him as a person. Commuting from Wales for a while as well shows the levels of commitment he was willing to put in inorder to get back to IC level after he had been dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

muddle84 wrote: »
    Is it a push to say he was one of the best midfielders in the country in 2016 & 2017?

Not a push at all, he was. Durcan was an all round great player. Testimony to his character that he came back from that injury

Bambi wrote: »
    Not a push at all, he was. Durcan was an all round great player. Testimony to his character that he came back from that injury

What the actual. Is Paddy gone as well? He's only young.

I think that is a typo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cartman78

In fairness I think they deserve an individual eulogy if that's the approach they're taking!

Ah yeah of course....I should have added a winking emoji to the previous post :)

Feel especially sad about Parsons tbh.....to come back from such an horrific injury as successfully as he did, get back in the squad and probably on the fringes of the starting 15 and then retire a couple of weeks after losing another AI Final.

Clarke will be a massive loss also I think - yes, he was prone to brainfarts now and again but I think most counties (apart from the obvious one) would gladly have him between the posts.

And Vaughan will be missed although his form possibly fizzled out a bit over the last couple of years.

If Higgins and Boyle make announcements this week I'll have to take a couple of days of work as a tribute :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I just retired him :D Meant Parsons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Parson was a top player along side the other guys that have called it a day. It is funny as he spent a few years in the wilderness before returning to put in solid displays for us. I am not sure did Horan not fancy him at the time but when he came back, he came with a bang.

These guys going will most likely make the rest decide as they played together. I was expecting Higgins to announce retirement yesterday.

Parson was a top player along side the other guys that have called it a day. It is funny as he spent a few years in the wilderness before returning to put in solid displays for us. I am not sure did Horan not fancy him at the time but when he came back, he came with a bang.

These guys going will most likely make the rest decide as they played together. I was expecting Higgins to announce retirement yesterday.

It was Horan that dropped him wasn't it? But Horan also had him back in 2014 before he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭blowitupref

What injury does Harrison have, he isn't near 30 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Andy and Billy Joe on OTB.

Andy intimates James Horan will draw on the talent from the under 20s squad.

Great to hear.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Andy and Billy Joe on OTB.

Andy intimates James Horan will draw on the talent from the under 20s squad.

Great to hear.

He already did during the campaign Mullin, Conroy, Moran, McBrien, Brickenden, Coyne and Towey.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He already did during the campaign Mullin, Conroy, Moran, McBrien, Brickenden, Coyne and Towey.

Alongside Hennelly who is the next keeper to step in? Knockmore keeper seemed decent in the championship, Bryne from Cbar has been "tried" but never got a foot in and who else is there?

We have lost some steal in midfield that will be filled by AOS and to a lesser extent Loftus and Ruane who are more the athletic filler than the crash/tall midfielders, anyone at club level who can will take that over from Parsons and I assume Seamie will retire too.

If we lose zippy, Boyler and maybe Leroy then we have lost a chunk of experience.

Seamie today!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

And Seamie has retired now too.

Absolute beast at his prime. Great workhorse and another brilliant servant. His attitude was always tops.

yop wrote: »

Absolute beast at his prime. Great workhorse and another brilliant servant. His attitude was always tops.

Seamie like Doc, people didn't appreciate all the quiet dirty work that he did until he wasn't on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »

We really missed him (and Donie ) around the middle last two years
    Another who was underrated !

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

This is nearly as bad as the covid figures each day . Can’t take much more retirements. Surely some should be persuaded to have stayed on if even for a mentoring capacity.
    The average ageof the Dublin subs must be heading g well north of ours at this stage .
    I hope it doesn’t prove too costly to the mayo rebuild . Doing it from scratch will only allow Dublin to take 10 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Squatman

Seamie like Doc, people didn't appreciate all the quiet dirty work that he did until he wasn't on the pitch.

he could kick pass the ball through the eye of a needle from 100 yards. but ask him to put it over the bar, and he collapses. Same for Aiden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I expect Boyler and Higgins to go in the next couple of days. These retirement notices seem to be coming thick and fast. It's a big clearout.

This is nearly as bad as the covid figures each day . Can’t take much more retirements. Surely some should be persuaded to have stayed on if even for a mentoring capacity.
    The average ageof the Dublin subs must be heading g well north of ours at this stage .
    I hope it doesn’t prove too costly to the mayo rebuild . Doing it from scratch will only allow Dublin to take 10 in a row.

Easier for the older dubs to hang on seeing as they aren't crossing the country twice or three times a week to no even make he match day squad.

As others have said no surprise with the retirements other than timing with it all happening in a drip process over a few days.

The timing seems to add credibility to the rumour that Horan has been calling some of the senior players over the last few days outlying where he sees them in the team so sounds like some of these were told they wouldn’t be part of the 2021 set up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I thought Boyler looked done completely in 2018, but looked really strong again in 2019. I hoped he'd have an impact in 2020 but it wasn't to be - even the 2019 version of CB would have been a strong addition at half time against the 14 men of Dublin a couple of weeks back, replacing Durcan.

Either that or they would have the same role as this year. I imagine players of their experience and caliber would struggle to keep going just getting game time at training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭spakman

Clarke was hardly told he wasn't part of the plans after he was number 1 all year and had a great final.

• Advertisement

I think Clarke is a bit different to the rest as he is that few years older.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement