Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The worst kept secret in town is now officially in the public domain.

Our former free taker extraordinaire Maurice Sheridan has been ratified as Mayo under 20s manager.

https://www.mayonews.ie/sports/36359-sheridan-is-new-mayo-under-20-manager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Wonder will there be same derision about the publicity around Paddy Andrews retirement? Even the sponsors are publicly thanking him on their social media platforms.

No doubt Brolly will think this is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

yop wrote: »
    I see Joe Canning took the same stance on how players post their retirements on Twitter features Tom Parsons twitter post, yet ignoring his own county mans retirement the previous week via twitter.
    Its sad tbh the obsession with the Mayo team and players.

https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/1346895626454380546?s=19

Canning said that in 2018 and was referring to other players tweeting @ the players retiring, not the ones retiring themselves.

Yer exceptionally easily offended. 'Obsession'

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/1346895626454380546?s=19

Canning said that in 2018 and was referring to other players tweeting @ the players retiring, not the ones retiring themselves.

Yer exceptionally easily offended. 'Obsession'

Your on a Mayo thread.... Obsession indeed. :rolleyes:
    Creepy as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Your on a Mayo thread.... Obsession indeed. :rolleyes:
    Creepy as usual

For pointing out that you wrongly accused Canning of having a pop? How could you look at a random quote from 2018 and assume it was about Mayo?

Do you really think Joe Canning gives a fiddlers about Mayo footballers?

• Advertisement

Cillian has been nominated for POTY.

12 All Star nominations.

David Clarke
    Oisín Mullin
    Eoghan Mc Loughlin
    Lee Keegan
    Chris Barrett
    Paddy Durcan
    Matthew Ruane
    Cillian O Connor
    Kevin Mc Loughlin
    Ryan O Donoghue
    Aidan O Shea
    Tommy Conroy

Not expecting to pick up a whole lot.

Oisín and Cillian...

Tommy will likely pick up the young POTY accolade.

seligehgit wrote: »

12 All Star nominations.

David Clarke
    Oisín Mullin
    Eoghan Mc Loughlin
    Lee Keegan
    Chris Barrett
    Paddy Durcan
    Matthew Ruane
    Cillian O Connor
    Kevin Mc Loughlin
    Ryan O Donoghue
    Aidan O Shea
    Tommy Conroy

Oisín and Cillian...

Mullin has to be the young player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

12 All Star nominations.

David Clarke
    Oisín Mullin
    Eoghan Mc Loughlin
    Lee Keegan
    Chris Barrett
    Paddy Durcan
    Matthew Ruane
    Cillian O Connor
    Kevin Mc Loughlin
    Ryan O Donoghue
    Aidan O Shea
    Tommy Conroy

Oisín and Cillian...

Can't believe Diarmuid wasn't nominated. I thought he'd a great chance of winning an All star.

3 nominees

Oisín Mullin
    Tommy Conroy
    Eoghan Mc Loughlin

3 nominees

Oisín Mullin
    Tommy Conroy
    Eoghan Mc Loughlin

Three great young men. To think that Mullin should be Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Yes. Tommy Conroy would have a chance if he had a good final but it just didn't happen for him. You could see he want it so much but it just didn't fall for him. He has to learn from this and not let this happen again. He will make an exceptional footballer if he learns from this. Mullin on the other hand played like he was an seasoned player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Its embarrassing at this stage and the man now has the planning permission in Mayo sorted out by Paddy Bradley so will be living here and will be settling here. How he can s9t9e on his own doorstep is mind boggling!!

Knockmore is going to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

If you look back at the championship as a whole I think Eoghan McLaughlin was the stabd out young player for me. Conroy was exceptional in the semi final, Mullins exceptional in the final. But as a whole I think McLaughlin deserves it.

Has the nominations for Player of the year been announced yet?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

3 nominees

Oisín Mullin
    Tommy Conroy
    Eoghan Mc Loughlin

That will be a hard one to pick. All 3 had exceptional championships, in the final Id say Oisin was the stand-out of the 3, so expect him to nail it.

COC and maybe Conroy with AOS as an outside bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

muddle84 wrote: »
    If you look back at the championship as a whole I think Eoghan McLaughlin was the stabd out young player for me. Conroy was exceptional in the semi final, Mullins exceptional in the final. But as a whole I think McLaughlin deserves it.

Has the nominations for Player of the year been announced yet?

Yes, Cillian is nominated along with Fenton and Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭flasher0030

spakman wrote: »
    Yes, Cillian is nominated along with Fenton and Kilkenny.

Kilkenny practically nailed on for player of the year.
    He really is the media darling. I think Fenton deserves it more. He has contributed much more to Dublin's successes than any other player since he came on the scene.
    And Mullen almost certain to get young player after the final performance.
    I'd agree with a previous poster that if one was to analyse the season, that McLaighlean was the most impressive and consistent of the 3 of them.
    3 great talents though.

Kilkenny practically nailed on for player of the year.
    He really is the media darling. I think Fenton deserves it more. He has contributed much more to Dublin's successes than any other player since he came on the scene.
    And Mullen almost certain to get young player after the final performance.
    I'd agree with a previous poster that if one was to analyse the season, that McLaighlean was the most impressive and consistent of the 3 of them.
    3 great talents though.

I think what lets McLaughlin down is the lack of scores. I think if he had got one or two scores in the final he would be nailed on.

There goes Chris Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Chrissy Barrett gone now as well. A class act, great defender who got better with age. Teak tough. Owes the county nothing. Met him once and a nice guy to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Totally agree a great servant of mayo football can not blame him for stepping aside and having a normal life again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Huge huge loss
    He just couldn’t sustain living and working in Dublin and playing for mayo sadly

With himself and Clarke both gone now we are most definitely back in a rebuild phase
    I don’t know will Cillian or Aidan win sam at this stage

Yes I’m a bit depressed . I had myself convinced the retirements were over with for this year

km79 wrote: »
    Huge huge loss
    He just couldn’t sustain living and working in Dublin and playing for mayo sadly

With himself and Clarke both gone now we are most definitely back in a rebuild phase
    I don’t know will Cillian or Aidan win sam at this stage

Yes I’m a bit depressed . I had myself convinced the retirements were over with for this year

Sure who knows. We're not going to win an all ireland in the next few years you would have to presume. But there is alot to be hopeful about!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭freddie_

Very Surprised at his retirement, massive loss to the team.
    He has been living in Westport since summer due to Covid so thought he would give it another year.
    Hopefully the younger players like Coyne step up to the plate. Hopefully won't set Mayo back by much.

muddle84 wrote: »
    I think what lets McLaughlin down is the lack of scores. I think if he had got one or two scores in the final he would be nailed on.

The lad is only seriously playing GAA for the last two years. He is gonna be an immense player for us once he keeps injury free. He has put 21kg onto his frame in that period since he switched from cycling to gaelic.

Now the question is will Zippy and Boyler hold on for another year? Has to be questionable given the wear and tear that both have put their bodies through.

Chrissy is a man who has had to prove himself to so many different managers. Teak tough and with an excellent footballing brain.

We have lost a hell of a lot of experience and that in itself is key. The commitments are probably higher now than even 10 years ago and the game is by far a lot down to fitness especially at the business end and tbh there are only a handful of teams with the level of skill and athleticism that teams like ourselves, Dublin, Kerry & a few more have.

I'd say Covid has opened the eyes of a few lads to what they were missing with regards life and family and for me, we are seeing a lot more retirements across football and hurling than in other years.

I really hope thats it for us but I expect another 1-2 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Would Mayo go looking for Schlingerman to play in goals?.

i hope Mullin gets young player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Schlingerman is playing for Athlone Town this year

He gave it a shot and didn't make it so i would say that's that!

• Advertisement

Not a hope. He isn't up to scratch as a gaelic goalie. He couldn't make the Kiltimagh team as a goalie when he came back.

He has committed to Athlone Town anyway so that rule him out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement