Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Now the question is will Zippy and Boyler hold on for another year? Has to be questionable given the wear and tear that both have put their bodies through.

Chrissy is a man who has had to prove himself to so many different managers. Teak tough and with an excellent footballing brain.

Best of luck to Chris Barrett, serious player and no nonsense type of guy.

Boyle is waiting so I was told. Not sure on Higgins as I was expecting him when they started to announce the retirements but he has kept quite. I would say he will wait now if nothing happens over the weekend. It might be no harm if he does to settle things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The lad is only seriously playing GAA for the last two years. He is gonna be an immense player for us once he keeps injury free. He has put 21kg onto his frame in that period since he switched from cycling to gaelic.

I’m not convinced he can pick up the basic skills. He’s a serious athlete but I think at the top end when the pressure is really on his skills might deteriorate, it won’t be second nature.

I hope I’m wrong obviously

Not a hope. He isn't up to scratch as a gaelic goalie. He couldn't make the Kiltimagh team as a goalie when he came back.

He has committed to Athlone Town anyway so that rule him out.

In fairness there more to it than that. He asked the club to put him in goal so he could further his county career but was turned down. Chairman’s son in goal instead. Can’t blame him to go back to soccer when that’s what’s going on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Green&Red wrote: »
    I’m not convinced he can pick up the basic skills. He’s a serious athlete but I think at the top end when the pressure is really on his skills might deteriorate, it won’t be second nature.

I remember talking to Caffatron on a night out back in 2012, shortly after Donie Buckley had come on board. This was when work on basic skills using the non dominant side really began for them. Remember him talking me about how they were being told to brush their teeth and chop vegetables with their non dominant hand. I know of Eoghan from when he was an elite junior cyclist. He will do what is needed similar to the above if it means things become second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think he'll come on myself. But I do think he needs to come on a fair bit more than the general consensus seems to be.

His athleticism is extremely impressive, and I don't think the basic skills will be an issue down the line but I would say awareness and decision making are the main things that need to be improved upon. When I see that I worry because generally either players have it or they don't.... He's notched up some achievements to date so I wouldn't put anything past him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

In fairness there more to it than that. He asked the club to put him in goal so he could further his county career but was turned down. Chairman’s son in goal instead. Can’t blame him to go back to soccer when that’s what’s going on
    Not true, but the goalie was son of a selector but there was no absolutely no issue locally, he couldn't dislodge the incumbent, the Mayo minor keeper in 2017 and U-20 keeper in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

He is too small to be an intercounty Gaelic keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Did anyone hear if another goalkeeper was called up to the panel? Or are we just going with Hennelly and Rory Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So have we any idea which goalkeepers were invited in for the trial?

Conor O Malley?

Matthew Flanagan?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    So have we any idea which goalkeepers were invited in for the trial?

Conor O Malley?

Matthew Flanagan?

What about the lad from knockmore

• Advertisement

Not true, but the goalie was son of a selector but there was no absolutely no issue locally, he couldn't dislodge the incumbent, the Mayo minor keeper in 2017 and U-20 keeper in 2019.

Fair enough selector's son

I wouldn't agree there was no issue, the man who told me has a son on the team and the spin put on it was that he was hard done by. I guess people see things differently

yop wrote: »

Wasn't invited from what I hear

Word is that an invite wasn't extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Fair enough selector's son

I wouldn't agree there was no issue, the man who told me has a son on the team and the spin put on it was that he was hard done by. I guess people see things differently

Fair enough but it really wanst much of an issue within the club, the young goalie was worth his place, just unlucky timing for Micheal, a year or two earlier and he'd have been on the team

Mullin has to be the young player of the year.

Spotted Oisín out today for what could only be called a leisurely jog by the standards of an inter county footballer.

He was gone past me before it quite registered with me who he was.Away in a different world on leisurely walk I was.Not sure who was his training partner,definitely not Tommy goals.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Spotted Oisín out today for what could only be called a leisurely jog by the standards of an inter county footballer.

He was gone past me before it quite registered with me who he was.Away in a different world on leisurely walk I was.Not sure who was his training partner,definitely not Tommy goals.

I saw Frank Irwin down at the track in Ballina Thursday evening, hes in some shape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I take it Oisin is sticking around for another year anyway? I haven't heard anything since?

PressRun wrote: »
    I take it Oisin is sticking around for another year anyway? I haven't heard anything since?

Think the season is starting until towards the end of March. Also I think there is an agreement that no international rookies are allowed this year.

The Kerry player Uosis moved over to Australia earlier this month but I think he'd the contract signed before Covid hit. He was at the same AFL combine as Mullin and Frank Irwin.

PressRun wrote: »

I'm sure I read it somewhere that he was going to commit to Mayo for a few years.

Hopefully we can hold onto him and Frank Irwin.

Would be a terrible blow to lose them but can't blame the lads for seeking a professional contract in the land of oz.

I see that very promising young Kerry goalkeeper whose family originally come from Lithuania is on route to Australia.

Kerry have lost some fair talent to the Aussie rules game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What's this about trials? Surely not with the current restrictions. I'm expecting Cork and Down to face punishment as is.

If they can punish Laois for having an overnight in Kerry a couple of years ago then any covid breaches will have to be seen as a bigger breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    The Kerry player Uosis moved over to Australia earlier this month but I think he'd the contract signed before Covid hit. He was at the same AFL combine as Mullin and Frank Irwin.

Devidas was actually supposed to go over a few months back but because he hadn't the contract signed he had to wait until now.
    Preseason training for rookies starts at the start of December and he was sent a preseason training plan that he was doing on his own. He's done a couple of interviews where he spoke about this.

If there hasn't been any recent talk of the Mayo lads heading, I would think it's very unlikely they aren't staying around for the time being [I could definitely see a situation where the club and players agreed to defer things for a year given the COVID situation]

Anyone have any idea did Mullin get sorted with a job? Know for the summer he was fluting about with the cúl camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Anyone have any idea did Mullin get sorted with a job? Know for the summer he was fluting about with the cúl camps.

sort him out quick before another statistic happens . Another mayo footballer travelling hundreds of miles a week to train .

He's in college at the moment. He was named on the NUIG Sigerson panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Voted for him on the basis hes the only one I've ever heard of! Serious player too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Another day another piece in the sindo by Wally.
    Mayo GAA should impose a ban on any media engagement until the knockmore man stops his personal vendetta with mayo GAA.
    I'd nearly wonder if he's on here creeping too ��

• Advertisement

Another day another piece in the sindo by Wally.
    Mayo GAA should impose a ban on any media engagement until the knockmore man stops his personal vendetta with mayo GAA.
    I'd nearly wonder if he's on here creeping too ��

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement