Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

trolls-trolls-everywhere-kyitse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah well. With the return of the Atlantic regime I think we can call off this season for snow. We all know that once the mild Atlantic flow becomes established, it will never shift. And what's with the warning for -3 or -4 degrees tonight? Serioulsy, do such medicore low temperatures really warrant a warning? Very disappointed here, really thought the signs for a decent cold snowy spell were all aligning.

medicore? A new flu ?

NB ice and frost are dangerous for driving so of course they warn of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was a gorgeous day in Dublin, no wind really so doesn't feel cold, the sun was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Miffed as to why are some getting so flustered? Plenty of snow opportunities and icy goodness for the next 7 days at least :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Nice evening with clear skies. Wexford. That's what matters for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

bazlers wrote: »
    Looking forward to deep penetrating cold for the second half of January.

You can go to Yakutsk and have it now. You can wait here for icy rain and sleet. Snow remains elusive for the majority here unless you live up in the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

2020-481.jpg

Sunset from a few days back.

Heres some excellent UK coverage of the January 1987 freeze
    I remember it well
    2 feet of snow in Arklow and the Avoca River in the town frozen over with snow covering it
    My memories include all the ice days and the what seemed like endless blizzard showers moving in off the Irish sea
    Hopefully something to look forward to this month I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Billcarson wrote: »
    Russia I'd say lol

Then hopefully it will move westwards towards us for feb

Oh ye of little fate..or maybe once twice three times bitten and ll that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭appledrop

Was a gorgeous day in Dublin, no wind really so doesn't feel cold, the sun was lovely

Sun was beautiful, but it was freezing felt colder to me than yesterday.

It was lovely to get out again though in sunshine + no rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

I'm very happy with the one third of winter we have had so far.

It holds loads of promise for January and February. We often have posters on here who complain about Irish weather, there are no seasons, 'Atlantic' muck, the temperature is always between 8 and 12C.

Well we have had plenty of air frost so far and the days are winter days. Some have seen wintry weather and others haven't but it feels seasonal.

Even in wet years, to be perfectly honest, it grates me hearing people talk about depressing weather, mild muck, constant moaning. This is Ireland, an island on the verge of a massive ocean. There are pros and cons to every climate.

Get out and about, you can put on wet gear, if you are into sports you don't feel rain or sleet when your body has warmed up. Life is short, too short. Why waste so much energy on moaning and giving out when it will change absolutely nothing. The only thing giving out will damage is your mental health. It'll create automatic negative thinking modes thatwill be ingrained in your brain. Also you'll end up being moody infront of family and friends which again causes more strife. Better tolight a candle than curse the darkness. Life presents enough real hardships without turning the weather into one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

-3.2c here in meath after a grand sunny day

This map will have deeper shade of blue over the next few hours...

temp_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just hit -1°c in Kildare now. A decent frost already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Heavy snow at the Hawthornes (Birmingham) before the West Brom v Arsenal match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The great thing about a lengthy cold spell is that people get acclimatised to the cold.
    You'll find that when temperatures reach double figures again people will think it positively balmy!
    It's all relative :D

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Wind has veered NNE now in Arklow, straight off the sea
    Interestingly the wet bulb temp is low at 0.2c and the dewpoint is staying nicely negative at -2c
    Thats with an air temp of +1.7c
    Quite a hopeful sign for wintry conditions along the east coast and inland of it in the coming week

AuntySnow Aunty Snow Aunty-Snow...

...Anti-Snow? :confused:

I think we have a snow hater here trying to infiltrate the community :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Found another weather station here. https://www.agrisearch.org/grasscheck-11

Others might find a local one too. It seems to be a government funded scheme for farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Think you may be right. Early Feb is still very good for decent cold

You`re not wrong there
    fortunately a certain February in 1963 still lives in the memory,

lets take a moment and recap..

"The winter of 1962-63 is the third coldest winter ever recorded. December began with an anticyclone near the UK and this gave cold frosty, foggy conditions. There was a fear of a repeat of what happened during early December 1952 when thick smog was believed to have killed thousands but fortunately it was not on the same scale

The weather became more unsettled and milder mid month as lows moved in from the Atlantic

Although, there was a short cold blast on the 13th

It wasn't until the 23rd that the real intense cold started

Christmas Day 1962 was a white Christmas across Scotland largely and this spread to northern England later in the day.
    A frontal system moved into Scotland during Christmas Day and this brought rain to places but with snow over higher ground.

The rain increasingly turned to snow over lower ground as it pushed through Scotland and there was a covering.
    The snow had set in across northern England by the end of the day. Further south it was bitterly cold with sub zero maxima, it wasn't until Boxing Day that the snow arrived here but when it did it,it snowed for many hours. Depths of snow approached two and a half feet in places
    A new low pushed into the Bay of Biscay and this gave strong easterly winds and heavy drifting snow to the south adding to the depths of snow that had already fallen. Conditions were very severe with blizzards, whiteout conditions and numerous roads became impassable because of huge drifts.

Into the start of January, the cold easterly flow continued with low pressures to the south bringing further snowfalls to the south although the intensity of the cold was lost somewhat by the 4th in the south and the snow turned to rain in places, even freezing at times.

A fresh pool of very cold air poured into NE parts on the 7th and the intensity of the cold increased

The intensity of the cold was to wax and wane as fresh pools of cold Arctic air was directed by the Greenland block and Atlantic air trying to push in, the 12th was a particularly cold as a blast of Arctic air poured in from Scandinavia

Frosts were severe with -16C being recorded at Gatwick and Shawbury recording a maximum of just -7C
    Snow showers fell in places exposed to the wind flow.
    The block pulled out of Greenland and moved into Scandinavia with clear skies and calm conditions across Scotland and this made the night of the 18th especially cold night with -22.2C at Braemar.

Further south, the gradient intensified on the 19th and it was a bitterly cold with sub zero maxima and heavy snow showers. Yet again, there was further drifting.
    The high pressure became centred over the south of the UK and with a snow cover and calm conditions, nighttime minima were very low in the south. -20.6C at Stanstead Abbots on the 23rd, the record minimum for that date.

The mildest day of January 1963 widely was the 26th as less cold air moved around the high centred near Ireland as a system pulled into Scandinavia.

The less cold interlude was shortlived however as the high pulled towards Greenland and a new Arctic blast poured down from the north

February continued the very cold theme with fresh pools of Arctic air pulled around the block around Iceland and Greenland.

A low pressure moved down on the flow and intensified to the west of the UK bringing strong southerly winds, heavy snow and blizzards to a number of western areas. Some areas had a huge snowfall with as much as 5 feet in parts of Gwent and 1.6ft at Belfast.

Milder air was attempting to come into the south as February progressed and this gave occasional thaws here but the cold continued unabated further north

There were further snowfalls as Atlantic systems try to push in but again the cold maintained its grip

During the last few days of February, high pressure started to assert itself and although frosts remained sharp the intensity of the cold was losing its grip during the day and a slow daytime thaw occurred.

By the 6th of March, the frosts ended and the great winter of 1962-63 finally ended. By this stage a number of places have had continuous snow cover since December 26th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Heavy snow at the Hawthornes (Birmingham) before the West Brom v Arsenal match.

Really heavy snow. Pitch is white despite the undersoil heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Yet to hit freezing at my station in Carlow Town, currently 1 degree. Reading attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭pad199207

-3°c in Kildare now with a very heavy frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭giveitholly

-1.5 here in tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

-1 here in Rathfarnham and it's gotten so cold I can successfully walk over a completely frozen solid puddle that usually I wouldn't be able to because it would crack.

Even without seeing any real snow so far, I'm still having tons of fun with the cold spell :D

Hopefully some snow streamers into the east coast next week that will help Dublin a little more I hope! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,109 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold clear night for most,midnight :

Dunsany -3
    Casement -2
    Phoenix park -2
    Oak Oark -1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The frost outside is something else, one of the severest frosts I've seen in a long time. The car is covered in amazing patterns and layers of frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Absolutely, so nice to see. It seems to give some comfort to the older generation of killing off bugs etc. following on from a conversation I had with my elderly uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strange what our perception of cold is, coincidentally I watched a programme about Oymyakon last night, the coldest inhabited town on earth, with a record low temp of - 72c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Strange what our perception of cold is, coincidentally I watched a programme about Oymyakon last night, the coldest inhabited town on earth, with a record low temp of - 72c.

Is that the one where they light fires under their diesel vehicles to warm them up before cranking the ignition? When it drops below -45c or some balmy temperature like that??? :D

Advertisement