Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

All this negativity (not you nacho) is making me depressed. I’d still rather have a half decent north easterly/easterly than blowtorch southwesterlies! I’d welcome any cold spell right up until the end of February even though as you mentioned solar heating strengthens. When March comes around then I lose interest

I do get other peoples frustration though because if your expectation is ice days and several inches of laying snow on the ground this is very disappointing so far.
    We are being really, really teased so far this winter so that is obviously frustrating for a lot of people.

For me, as annoying as it is to wake up to drizzle and cold rain from a northerly, as long as it stays coldish it means we are in the game for snow fall and some nice crisp dry days ahead. Like yourself, i find that much better than the default pattern of blow torch southwesterlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

I do get other peoples frustration though because if your expectation is ice days and several inches of laying snow on the ground this is very disappointing so far.
    We are being really, really teased so far this winter so that is obviously frustrating for a lot of people.

For me, as annoying as it is to wake up to drizzle and cold rain from a northerly, as long as it stays coldish it means we are in the game for snow fall and some nice crisp dry days ahead. Like yourself, i find that much better than the default pattern of blow torch southwesterlies.

As you say, at least we have cold crisp days and frosty nights ahead of us for the next week at least. Although for those of us on the east coast it may be greyer when the easterly takes over for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Clouded over completely here in Wexford and now drizzle is starting.

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What about the hype around Jan 7th has that falling off the cliff now too?

Nothing has fallen off a cliff
    When the PV splits,we need to see where the daughter v's go
    If one drops into Scandinavia,we are in business
    Modeling of the strat is great (less weather up there)
    Modeling of the trop beyond 5 or 6 days poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What about the hype around Jan 7th has that falling off the cliff now too?

Maybe the Cliffs of Dover if not quite Moher....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some stats from December 2020 (as taken from Met Eireann's 'Daily Data' resourse:

Top 3 warmest stations in terms of mean maxima:
    Valentia: 9.9c
    Sherkin Island: 9.8c
    Roches Pt (one day of missing data) 9.0c

Top 3 coolest mean maxima:
    Knock Apt: 6.5c
    Ballyhaise: 7.0c
    Mullingar: 7.2c.

Top 3 coolest stations regarding mean minima:
    Mt.Dillon: 1.5c (2 days of missing data)
    Dunsany: 1.6c
    Mullingar: 1.7c.

Wettest station: Newport: 232.7mm (Edit: it's actually Valentia on 244.2mm)
    Driest station: Phoenix Park. 79.5mm.
    National average: 141.6mm.

--Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Yeah back to the old Atlantic muck we all love so well from around the 10th. Hopefully chances in February and March

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Yeah back to the old Atlantic muck we all love so well from around the 10th. Hopefully chances in February and March

it's really been very disappointing. 2 weeks of a cold spell and very little to show for it as the properly cold air remains lodged above Iceland. A very tame easterly this week with cold rain showers and a wet mix of sleet and snow possible inland parts of Leinster. Dew points will mostly be just above 0 for much of the coming week along eastern coasts so showers will be a wet mixture of cold rain, sleet and wet snow.

We've been getting nowhere fast with this cold spell so it probably is best we start a fresh from next weekend and back to mild. Hopefully the SSW will deliver us a decent cold spell in February with proper cold, instability and blocking falling into the right place.

We can see a remarkably gorgeous line of convection the length of the Irish sea from here in Arklow
    Its streamer manufacturing line is definitely producing in todays uppers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloud beginning to break up here just outside Castlebar with more in the way of sunshine. Cold clear night ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's really been very disappointing. 2 weeks of a cold spell and very little to show for it as the properly cold air remains lodged above Iceland. A very tame easterly this week with cold rain showers and a wet mix of sleet and snow possible inland parts of Leinster. Dew points will mostly be just above 0 for much of the coming week along eastern coasts so showers will be a wet mixture of cold rain, sleet and wet snow.

We've been getting nowhere fast with this cold spell so it probably is best we start a fresh from next weekend and back to mild. Hopefully the SSW will deliver us a decent cold spell in February with proper cold, instability and blocking falling into the right place.

I'd always be wary of a reset though ,if we get back into a mild pattern they can be difficult to break out of as we know.
    Of course the ssw could and perhaps will save us down the line.....but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Low Temperature/Ice warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Temperatures will fall to minus 3 or 4 degrees tonight, colder locally away from coasts. This will lead to a widespread hard ground frost and icy surfaces, with potentially dangerous conditions.

Valid: 18:00 Saturday 02/01/2021 to 10:00 Sunday 03/01/2021

Issued: 14:00 Saturday 02/01/2021

These kind of warnings always get me :rolleyes:

From met eireann:

On this day in 1976 a severe storm moved in from the Atlantic, tracking close to Ireland bringing widespread damage. A wind gust of 157km/h was recorded in Birr, County Offaly at the height of the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭aidanodr

What is it with you guys and the hankering for snow :D

aidanodr wrote: »

Its the buzz at the time man. Coupled with alcohol its mad crack. Ya boiii

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Low Temperature/Ice warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Temperatures will fall to minus 3 or 4 degrees tonight, colder locally away from coasts. This will lead to a widespread hard ground frost and icy surfaces, with potentially dangerous conditions.

Valid: 18:00 Saturday 02/01/2021 to 10:00 Sunday 03/01/2021

Issued: 14:00 Saturday 02/01/2021

These kind of warnings always get me :rolleyes:

Hopefully a clear night for its entireity and no proxy showers ruining the frost......
    Looking outside this morning I was like ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭bazlers

Looking forward to deep penetrating cold for the second half of January.

bazlers wrote: »
    Looking forward to deep penetrating cold for the second half of January.

Where?

Where?

Russia I'd say lol

Then hopefully it will move westwards towards us for feb

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Ah well. With the return of the Atlantic regime I think we can call off this season for snow. We all know that once the mild Atlantic flow becomes established, it will never shift. And what's with the warning for -3 or -4 degrees tonight? Serioulsy, do such medicore low temperatures really warrant a warning? Very disappointed here, really thought the signs for a decent cold snowy spell were all aligning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Ah well. With the return of the Atlantic regime I think we can call off this season for snow. We all know that once the mild Atlantic flow becomes established, it will never shift. And what's with the warning for -3 or -4 degrees tonight? Serioulsy, do such medicore low temperatures really warrant a warning? Very disappointed here, really thought the signs for a decent cold snowy spell were all aligning.

Don't worry, be happy! Be glad you don't have Covid:)

Bit premature calling off the season for snow on 2nd January. That's a bit like saying there's no way we'll have a temperature of 25C or higher this year on 2nd July.

Be happy Snowy. The granchildren are off school for another week. You might be able to spend more time with them. At any rate what does an old fella like you want snow and ice for? You could get a nasty fall. Light a nice fire and be happy:)

Your Joking right? It’s the 2nd of January, still nearly 2.5 months of opportunities. Let’s see how the SSW unfolds. Hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

There has been no rain for days now in Galway..yet everywhere its still wet...there is going to be awful problems with ice if it gets as cold as -5 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Your Joking right? It’s the 2nd of January, still nearly 2.5 months of opportunities. Let’s see how the SSW unfolds. Hold your breath.

I wouldn’t even accommodate that if I were you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Yeah I was sure we would have had some snow by now. You're right also I think this winter is another write off. Bring on the spring, has more chance of snow than winter could ever have.

Then again February also has potential for snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Yeah I was sure we would have had some snow by now. You're right also I think this winter is another write off. Bring on the spring, has more chance of snow than winter could ever have.

Bring it on...only problem is it begins on March 1st. 2 months away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Last year we got all our snow in February and March.

Heres the Irish sea convection as viewed from Arklow
    A whole line of it as far as the eye can see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The only airport warnings out are for light to moderate ground frosts and weak air frosts.
    (Shannon) EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 021800/031100 FROST MOD GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    (Casement)EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 021700/031100 FROST MOD GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    (Cork) EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 021800/031000 FROST FBL GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    (Dublin) EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 021700/031000 FROST FBL GND AND FBL AIR FCST=
    (Knock) EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 021700/031000 FROST MOD GND AND FBL AIR FCST=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

aidanodr wrote: »

They have diagnosed it as a form of.... snow blindness. A dreadful disability ;)

Advertisement