Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Very light flurry of flakes here now going past the garden sensor light. That will probably have to do

Looks like a slightly heavier pulse building toward you

God this is sad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Radar also seems to be pushing that band into Dublin? Check your windows within the next 10 mins :O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Even sadder is I woke the baby early so I would have an excuse to get up !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Radar also seems to be pushing that band into Dublin? Check your windows within the next 10 mins :O

Freezing rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Light snow shower d17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Must have been some sort of precipitation overnight here, car no longer frozen and paths are just wet also. 1C out there at the minute, planes sounding a lot louder than usual this morning too for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Woke up to a lovely white covering here in West Wicklow, a light snow shower that has frozen.

A lot of mixed signals creeping into the models
    If the polar vortex split/displacement sends lobes into North America, its game over
    This is not the first time the ECM which has more ability to model the vortex weakening than the others has latched onto this
    I think we do need that week or two to wait and see what happens

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1345281223359410177?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Grass minima were again down to -8 overnight.

Lowest air temps (in the synops anyway) were -4.0 at Gurteen and -3.7 at Casement. Dublin Airport was not as cold on -2.4.

Grass minima were again down to -8 overnight.

Lowest air temps (in the synops anyway) were -4.0 at Gurteen and -3.7 at Casement. Dublin Airport was not as cold on -2.4.

Windy all night here in SE wicklow and above freezing! North westerly might have no frost at all when it turns northeast ironically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Roads very icy this morning in Cabra. My GF slid on way to work in car, I went out to check as she thought it was mechanical but slid myself.

Luckily she's naturally slow driver as she would've slid onto main road if driving about 10kph quicker. When I drove back home there was a poor man knocked down off his bike by a car coming onto another t-junction. Guards were just arriving in front of me and ambulance there now so hope to god he's ok.

Stay safe folks, that's after giving me a big fright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Still a decent covering of snow on Slieve Snaght in Donegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Heavy graupel shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

537986.jpg
    galtees today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Cold and sunny morning. Frosty too. Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Drizzly morning after a frosty night. Temps up near 2C now. Really, this has been a most disappointing spell of weather. It was always marginal, but apart from 10 mins of snow flurries, we've not got the breaks. Some nice crisp days, some gloomy chilly rain. Next week looks cold but again, marginal for anything wintery. Patience may have to extend to week 3 of Jan, let's see where SSW takes us. Another dice throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

As it always is.
    If you live in 10 days ahead we would have all the snow you want in winter and all the heat you want in summer.
    10 days ahead is FI for a reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

537986.jpg
    galtees today

Stunning photo! No view of any mountains from my location...and not allowed to drive far enough to see any :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Very foggy here (West Wicklow)2 degrees, poor visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A reminder of what this cold spell isn't:

Cr8JfE1.png

Last night was eerily beautiful, and we even managed to scrape a bit of an air frost, but woke up once again to the dripping grey overhang. Water dripping from trees and roofs and it isn't even raining. If this is to be our lot for the rest of this season, then I say roll on Summer. I have a flower bed to build and am itching to get at it.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Cr8JfE1.png

Last night was eerily beautiful, and we even managed to scrape a bit of an air frost, but woke up once again to the dripping grey overhang. Water dripping from trees and roofs and it isn't even raining. If this is to be our lot for the rest of this season, then I say roll on Summer. I have a flower bed to build and am itching to get at it.
    You'll note the lack of a great big siberian Russian high at the edge of that map
    Its there today and the last 2 weeks and is the reason for our mild easterly next week
    Not using mild in the literal sense
    Just not cold enough as that other high is blocking a deep easterly and encouraging med air to enter and mix out the cold in ours

I've loads more to say but am working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Cr8JfE1.png

A thing of beauty that chart. Unfortunately there's a darned Russian high pressure blocking that Siberian air from advecting toward us this time. It's like a shut solid gate. Feb 2018, the gates were blown off their hinges letting that bitter air toward us. It can still do, but it will be later this month or next at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Next week looks cold but again, marginal for anything wintery. Patience may have to extend to week 3 of Jan, let's see where SSW takes us. Another dice throw.

There may well be snow before then, but ultimately if it's full on snowy cold without the word marginal being bandied about in forecasts, it will be(if at all) into the third week of January- as it looks increasingly likely we are now going to get a milder period mid month before any potential reload of cold.

Into the third week of January would still be good enough for a potent cold spell, and it would be a rare event to have it in January - bear in mind a winter that went down in snowlore did not get going till well into January.
    So a cold spell between the 23th of January to the 8th of February would be excellent. After that some posters begin to lose interest because of the strengthening Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The ssw will reshuffle the pack then we will see what cards we have been dealt...........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Spits of rain and 7.5°c in West Clare. Unexpectedly mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

There may well be snow before then, but ultimately if it's full on snowy cold without the word marginal being bandied about in forecasts, it will be(if at all) into the third week of January- as it looks increasingly likely we are now going to get a milder period mid month before any potential reload of cold.

Into the third week of January would still be good enough for a potent cold spell, and it would be a rare event to have it in January - bear in mind a winter that went down in snowlore did not get going till well into January.
    So a cold spell between the 23th of January to the 8th of February would be excellent. After that some posters begin to lose interest because of the strengthening Sun.

All this negativity (not you nacho) is making me depressed. I’d still rather have a half decent north easterly/easterly than blowtorch southwesterlies! I’d welcome any cold spell right up until the end of February even though as you mentioned solar heating strengthens. When March comes around then I lose interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

If I was a betting man I'd go for a proper cold spell 1st week of feb. Forget 2nd half of Jan, its practically goes against our climatology at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Billcarson wrote: »
    If I was a betting man I'd go for a proper cold spell 1st week of feb. Forget 2nd half of Jan, its practically goes against our climatology at this stage

Think you may be right. Early Feb is still very good for decent cold

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cr8JfE1.png

The Russian high reminds me of a film character- it started off as an ally this winter, then it became an enemy, but it may finally do something great to aid us in the end.
    To put it another way, we may not have this trop led SSW without the influence of the major Russian High. It has up till now hindered a favourable nh profile leading to a major cold outbreak, but in the aftermath of a SSW it maybe forced to retreat, which leads to a very cold airflow winging its way to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What about the hype around Jan 7th has that falling off the cliff now too?

Advertisement