Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

JCT inservice next week, full day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That going ahead?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

same. Going ahead, might as well not lose a contact day when we get back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She is throwing teachers an a profession under the bus. I'd love to know what her former colleagues in Kerry think of her now?
    Kerry? You mean Romulus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Saw that and ours is going ahead.I'm going to let rip at that bunch of charlatans for their lack of support, consultation, or feedback.

• Advertisement

same. Going ahead, might as well not lose a contact day when we get back

Might be a day of screaming kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

That meeting today with the education ministers ended with the agreement to "Avoid predictive grading at all costs" AKA A traditional LC as it stands right now.

Well, there goes my 🌟mental stability🌟 for now. :pac:

I just plead for clarification, none of this traditional LC stuff right now, it's not worth it. I have orals and projects to do and no teacher guidance to do them and with todays cases, I really don't see us going back by the end of January. :(

Hopefully something can be sorted out, but a traditional exam isn't the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Kerry? You mean Romulus

Romulans wouldn't have her, they've standards

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

TTLF wrote: »
    That meeting today with the education ministers ended with the agreement to "Avoid predictive grading at all costs" AKA A traditional LC as it stands right now.

I just plead for clarification, none of this traditional LC stuff right now, it's not worth it. I have orals and projects to do and no teacher guidance to do them and with todays cases, I really don't see us going back by the end of January. :(

Hopefully something can be sorted out, but a traditional exam isn't the right call.

The Irish Times has just reported that the South African varient is here at Ireland.....3 cases at the moment ....Idk how schools can go back 31st January...
    They need to come up with an alternative to the LC asap..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭History Queen

TTLF, trust your teachers. They will of course continue to give you guidance with your projects. The traditional exam (albeit with accommodations) is entirely the best call at the moment. Predicted grades do a disservice to students and would be worse this year. I empathise with your situation but you are obviously bright and articulate. Keep the head down and focus on what you can control.

(Also I'm an English and History teacher so if I can be of any practical help just ask)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Do we really need this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You just got clarification. For the moment the exam goes ahead. Now you go focus on that. Do all your assignments, log on to all your classes and IF predicted grading features then at least you'll have fulfilled that side of the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭History Queen

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Do we really need this?

Do we ever need JCT?

The Irish Times has just reported that the South African varient is here at Ireland.....3 cases at the moment ....Idk how schools can go back 31st January...
    They need to come up with an alternative to the LC asap..

All from incoming, quarantined travellers is what a doctor friend of mine just put in our WhatsApp group. All these are being tested.

Well, there goes my ��mental stability�� for now. :pac:

MFL teacher here. You should have teacher guidance for the orals, why wouldn't you? Our LC mock orals are going ahead as planned next week.

Do you study a foreign language? Which one if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Remember there will be lots more choice and the exam marking schemes will be altered. Any teacher who correct the LC will tell you marking schemes routinely go through 4/5 revisions to get the right numbers of each grade, it'll be the same this year. Dont stress too much, everyone is playing on the same field so things will be scaled in that way

Also, "at all costs" is no more of a given than "by hook or by crook" or "full intention" so I wouldn't even be so sure there will be a LC just yet.

MFL teacher here. You should have teacher guidance for the orals, why wouldn't you? Our LC mock orals are going ahead as planned next week.

Do you study a foreign language? Which one if so?

I think I'll be okay with my Irish orals, I'm lucky that I have my sister who can help there. My Irish teacher isn't a great teacher in my opinion but I am happy I have help

I'm way more worried about German. We have done practically 0 oral prep. I've never done a mock German oral in my life, nor have we properly prepared for it. (We looked over the Roleplays and did our projects in TY) but no revision on said topics.

We were meant to start with going over General conversation this week, but honestly my German teacher is a bit hopeless. He had strange ways to teach that don't work for me properly, so I've been trying to get grinds but obviously it's been disrupted with Covid.

Just a small rant here, but from the previous lockdown he used to just go into the zoom call for 10 minutes, explain to us "our task" and then leave the call leaving us alone. Some days we were completely lost on what we had to do. He's a bit of a hard teacher to approach as he's a bit strict and he's the type of teacher who would make the 1st years scared (as every school has 1 atleast) but his internet is a real issue, he would constantly cut out and break off the call back in March-May and it was a real mess. I tried to learn German more in that time but it didn't really help in that time.

I can't imagine trying to learn Oral stuff over zoom calls right now, especially when the class average is in the 40s. (I got below that in the Christmas test)

I know I can seek help, and I will try to get online grinds, but unfortunately this is a rough situation we've been put in since we actually haven't done much to any oral work over the last 2 years. I actually haven't seen my TY project with my own eyes in 2 years and I believe it's somewhere in his office.

I hope this answers your question. :)

You just got clarification. For the moment the exam goes ahead. Now you go focus on that. Do all your assignments, log on to all your classes and IF predicted grading features then at least you'll have fulfilled that side of the bargain.

That's a fair enough assumption, thanks for that actually.

That's a fair enough assumption, thanks for that actually.

You can't control the uncontrollables.

For you the controllable is that you do your work, that you submit stuff within the timeframe allowed, that you are present on live calls.

The uncontrollables relate to the virus and how if impacts on the likes of the LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Covit

Went through all this last year in our house if it’s any advice stop listening to media it will drive u insane , especially ones that have no interest in there leaving are the worst .
    It plays with ur mind it’s on , it’s off try get it out of your mind . if it’s cancelled it’s cancelled but don’t put your energy into campaigning when u can spend it studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think I'll be okay with my Irish orals, I'm lucky that I have my sister who can help there. My Irish teacher isn't a great teacher in my opinion but I am happy I have help

I'm way more worried about German. We have done practically 0 oral prep. I've never done a mock German oral in my life, nor have we properly prepared for it. (We looked over the Roleplays and did our projects in TY) but no revision on said topics.

We were meant to start with going over General conversation this week, but honestly my German teacher is a bit hopeless. He had strange ways to teach that don't work for me properly, so I've been trying to get grinds but obviously it's been disrupted with Covid.

Just a small rant here, but from the previous lockdown he used to just go into the zoom call for 10 minutes, explain to us "our task" and then leave the call leaving us alone. Some days we were completely lost on what we had to do. He's a bit of a hard teacher to approach as he's a bit strict and he's the type of teacher who would make the 1st years scared (as every school has 1 atleast) but his internet is a real issue, he would constantly cut out and break off the call back in March-May and it was a real mess. I tried to learn German more in that time but it didn't really help in that time.

I can't imagine trying to learn Oral stuff over zoom calls right now, especially when the class average is in the 40s. (I got below that in the Christmas test)

I know I can seek help, and I will try to get online grinds, but unfortunately this is a rough situation we've been put in since we actually haven't done much to any oral work over the last 2 years. I actually haven't seen my TY project with my own eyes in 2 years and I believe it's somewhere in his office.

I hope this answers your question. :)

Remember you have time. Based on your teachers data you currently would fail German if you are scoring under the 40s. Predicted grades is not a solution here.

I’m not a language teacher but there’s a ton of resources for you. The one that helped me most as a LC student in a time before mock orals etc was to take a list of questions, write out all my answers to them, ask my teacher to correct the German, then practise saying it over and over. And I would record them over and over until it was perfect. You need to speak aloud as much as possible. There’s no reason you can’t prepare this at home, from what I’ve seen and experienced it would be a noisy classroom with everyone speaking anyways. If you have a friend then ye pair up once ye have a question prepared and speak it to each other. You can do this on a video call with then

Forget the media coverage. You can do this

Covit wrote: »
    Went through all this last year in our house if it’s any advice stop listening to media it will drive u insane , especially ones that have no interest in there leaving are the worst .
    It plays with ur mind it’s on , it’s off try get it out of your mind . if it’s cancelled it’s cancelled but don’t put your energy into campaigning when u can spend it studying.

I have been thinking about that. I went to that "Public Live meeting" for the LC today and it made me realize "man, I could be doing work instead of trying to stop all this." Like, it's fair to say alterations are needed but honestly looking at the ups and downs with the education decisions just makes me feel worse than if I didn't look at it. Also think it's a bit of a curse since I'm so interested by it :D

I need to really get back into a routine, it's messing with my head and it's awful. Hopefully our school listened to us with the surveys done last lockdown and I can get more quality than quantity education. Some classes work better studying by yourself while others you need the teacher (languages for one)

I hope I can put this stuff behind me and be able to focus, although when you're not in a school setting and unfortunately stuck in your room, that can be way harder to do. :(

If I have any questions I will ask, and I want to thank all the teachers on here helping me think and realize what can be done. I'll leave all the campaigning to the other 6th years and I'll try get my grades ahead.

If anyone has any ounce of an idea on how to study German efficiently please tell me because I need to get vocab into my head and wrap my head around the comprehensions because I struggle immensely at them big time. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We have had word from our secondary school and it does seem they took feedback on board.

I had a little chat with myself today to prepare for home long term. I can’t see schools going back anytime soon.

jrosen wrote: »
    We have had word from our secondary school and it does seem they took feedback on board.

I had a little chat with myself today to prepare for home long term. I can’t see schools going back anytime soon.

What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

TTLF, I might not have seen all your posts but the ones I have seen have been articulate, balanced and worthy of someone twice or more your age. This despite the natural anxieties you speak of. Just work hard now to the best of your ability, ask for help when you need it and trust yourself. Take time out too and ignore all the speculation. You're too near to the coalface for it not to stress you.

Do we really need this?

Of course not, did we ever need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

What did they say?

Basically a commitment that each class/subject will have a minimum of one zoom per week. Even the non exam subject will have at least one face to face a week.
    The timetable will be followed, so the students will have work to do and work to submit on the days the would have had those subjects as per time table.

Other lessons pre recorded and work assigned. So seems like a mix which again will help with flexibility. They touched on the what if’s of staying home longer and a desire to up the zooms at that point.

jrosen wrote: »
    Basically a commitment that each class/subject will have a minimum of one zoom per week. Even the non exam subject will have at least one face to face a week.
    The timetable will be followed, so the students will have work to do and work to submit on the days the would have had those subjects as per time table.

Other lessons pre recorded and work assigned. So seems like a mix which again will help with flexibility. They touched on the what if’s of staying home longer and a desire to up the zooms at that point.

If zooms to be increased will there be some childcare facility for those who need it? Presume no mention of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

17 pages on Updated Guidance on Continuity of Schooling:
    Supporting pupils at risk of educational disadvantage
    For primary schools
    16 pages on Updated Guidance on Continuity of Schooling:
    Supporting Pupils with Special Educational Needs
    For mainstream primary and special schools

Arrived at 19.08 to schools this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement