Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Spend a few days with a special needs child who is suffeeing and you'll figure it out!

Who's to say I haven't? You don't feel a special needs child who contract Covid won't suffer far more potentially ending up in hospital, infecting family members etc? There's two evils here, one is far more risky than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

the corpo wrote: »
    Norma has told the unions that not returning for three days a week puts the Leaving Cert in jeopardy and we might need a Plan B...

Assume that was me swearing. There should have been a Plan B (and C, D etc.) in preparation since the first lockdown. Horrendous failure of leadership

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/norma-foley-casts-doubt-over-leaving-cert-unless-students-return-to-school-39946927.html

Plan B was 3 days a week. This was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

the corpo wrote: »
    Norma has told the unions that not returning for three days a week puts the Leaving Cert in jeopardy and we might need a Plan B...

Assume that was me swearing. There should have been a Plan B (and C, D etc.) in preparation since the first lockdown. Horrendous failure of leadership

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/norma-foley-casts-doubt-over-leaving-cert-unless-students-return-to-school-39946927.html

She is doubling down with throwing teachers under the bus. The lack of a plans, b, c d and so on is an abject failure of the department of which she is the figure head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It isn't a plan if no one bar herself was consulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Teach30 wrote: »
    Please be mindful that teachers home internet may be terrible. Mine is and so limits massively live teaching and uploading long videos. I’ve asked to go into the school building so that I can do some lives. It’s not that I dont want to, I just can’t!

Rural Ireland broadband scheme very poor and I’m not currently in position to sign up for another bill. Last time I used my mobile data and ended up with a bill for over €280 for two weeks.

Fingers crossed the school caretaker will allow access to school for me.

Just one thing I didn’t realise last time around, are you rendering and reducing the quality of the videos before you attempt to upload? If you want to PM I can help if possible. Basically I was uploading high quality videos from my phone without realising those files are enormous and not necessary to get the same effect. I’m using handbrake (free program) to reduce the file sizes now before upload. Alternatively using loom or a similar platform will automatically do that for you and give you a link to share to students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Triangle wrote: »
    I feel that the next ps pay increase should be balanced in favor of the sectors that have positively helped during the pandemic I. E. HSE front line, gardai and army (I'm sure there's others out there too)
    But the fact that they take on new tasks and risks without complaint should be applauded and rewarded.

Congratulations. You managed to avoid mentioning the PUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Plan B should never have been three days a week. Plan B should have been we will assess the situation every Wednesday with a view to putting the LCs back in classrooms as soon as possible. Every teacher, parent and student in the country wants those kids back in ASAP. Once we are sure the health service isn’t being overwhelmed. Schools focus on getting the whole lot on line this week. We will reevaluate on Wednesday getting the LCs in on the 18th. That should have been the plan

Her plan was stupid. To the extreme. To the level of complete incompetency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Can you give us an outline of what he is doing in a week?

Absolutely
    Weekly work will be posted on Sunday to give everyone a chance to look over and make plans to work around their own schedule.
    Daily posts breaking down the work for the kids into more attainable goals
    Post links and resources
    Kids have to submit their work at the end of each school day

Zoom will be used over the next couple of weeks, live lessons with smaller groups not the whole class. Time for kids to ask questions.

A steady stream of work to keep some routine is the aim.

I personally dont think we could ask for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Bit off topic maybe but to any primary class teachers out there, apparently the final year B.Eds are a bit stuck. A lot of schools have dropped students due to start placement on Monday and they're looking for teachers willing to let them help with remote learning. If you're interested in taking one on - I love mentoring students so with the blessing of my principal, I'm going to take one - get in touch with Marino.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Absolutely
    Weekly work will be posted on Sunday to give everyone a chance to look over and make plans to work around their own schedule.
    Daily posts breaking down the work for the kids into more attainable goals
    Post links and resources
    Kids have to submit their work at the end of each school day

Zoom will be used over the next couple of weeks, live lessons with smaller groups not the whole class. Time for kids to ask questions.

A steady stream of work to keep some routine is the aim.

I personally dont think we could ask for more.

Other than the live zoom stuff that is pretty much what I did the last time. I did do prerecorded stuff instead of live zoom.

I did do zoom check-ins but they were purely social.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Ive seen it mentioned here a few times now where are you getting your information on transmission rates from I'm genuinely curious?

It was cited in an interview during the week. It is also one of the reasons INTO is looking for increased protective measures for staff in this area prior to the reopening of special ed. There is no break down of numbers according to educational setting that I can see in the general reporting of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What do you mean "carry on as normal"?

They have to continue where they left off in class. There is no workaround due to current restrictions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't see the issue with asking parents to collect books?I think most parents would prefer to have the physical book/exercise in front of them instead of on a screen or having to printing it out. Other parents would be complaining the books they bought weren't used , so it's damned if you do...

Not every child can access a device or even if they can, not for live lessons at the time, so pre-recorded clips give all of the children who can get to a device at some stage of the day a chance. Those children who can't access a device at all can still work on in their books, but do miss out on the content taught.

And Zoom-socially wise, I agree parents should do that between themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Andy Pike with Forsa is talking very positively about trying to find solutions for SEN students on Newstalk at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

khalessi wrote: »

Does anyone know if this works for Seesaw? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

eviltwin wrote: »
    They have to continue where they left off in class. There is no workaround due to current restrictions.

Hi there, all schools have to continue where they left off in class. 'Continuity of learning' is a requirement from the DES.

Is your child getting any online support? Zoom calls? Seesaw etc?

I don't see the issue with asking parents to collect books?I think most parents would prefer to have the physical book/exercise in front of them instead of on a screen or having to printing it out. Other parents would be complaining the books they bought weren't used , so it's damned if you do...

Not every child can access a device or even if they can, not for live lessons at the time, so pre-recorded clips give all of the children who can get to a device at some stage of the day a chance. Those children who can't access a device at all can still work on in their books, but do miss out on the content taught.

And Zoom-socially wise, I agree parents should do that between themselves.

I’ve no problem collecting and using books. I’m working so I don’t have the time to stick to the schedule, we will do what we can but the teacher is ambitious to think the kids can continue to cover what they would in class

Hi there, all schools have to continue where they left off in class. 'Continuity of learning' is a requirement from the DES.

Is your child getting any online support? Zoom calls? Seesaw etc?

Teachers can’t really expect parents to cover the same work that would be covered in class? I’m working, it will be a miracle if we cover even the basics. As for Irish, forget it. I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Harrowing stuff on Joe Duffy earlier re what no school means for autistic kids and their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Teachers can’t really expect parents to cover the same work that would be covered in class? I’m working, it will be a miracle if we cover even the basics. As for Irish, forget it. I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.

eviltwin, we use Bua na Cainte and I see the company (edco) are making it available for free! It takes a while to download but our pupils love it. I will honestly be hoping parents and children make a good effort to engage but I don’t expect miracles.

What do you mean no work around due to current restrictions? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Don’t worry teachers understand - it’s the difference between policy and practice. Schools need to follow official guidance class teacher will understand that parents will do their best

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Don’t worry teachers understand - it’s the difference between policy and practice. Schools need to follow official guidance class teacher will understand that parents will do their best

My mantra to every parent I met today was "no additional pressure from me". Not my job to be creating aggro at home over schooling. Each house environment is unique and each parent and child can only do so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

eviltwin, we use Bua na Cainte and I see the company (edco) are making it available for free! It takes a while to download but our pupils love it. I will honestly be hoping parents and children make a good effort to engage but I don’t expect miracles.

+1 for Bua na Cainte, I'd encourage any primary parent to download it. Even getting the kids to watch the stories on it is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

If anyone hasn't had their blood pressure elevated enough today, the Minister will be on Today FM with Matt Cooper circa 5.15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The Friday email was early today arriving in schools at 16.01.

The Friday email was early today arriving in schools at 16.01.

Ohh what delights have we been bestowed with?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Is it just me or did Foley only find out about Covid19 the last few weeks. She's going on like this is a new virus that's caught them unaware. They've had 10 month's to figure this out for christ sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement