Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

• 08-01-2021 11:43am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭

...no, not on September the 3rd (although for all I know they might have), it's the 3rd thread...
    1st thread
    2nd thread
    3rd thread
    4th thread
    Threadbans carry over

Shouldn't need to say this, but unfortunately too many of you seem to ignore a very basic principle when posting - remain civil to each other, otherwise you will have posting privileges removed

Mod:

Can we not have the roundabout question of putting teachers on PUP every 10 pages or so please.

You know the answer to the question so why bother asking it.

Mod warning added 22/01/21
    Stick to the topic, which is not moderation or other users. Remain civil. Report, don't react, to posts or posters who you think are an issue. This is unfortunately a polarised topic for some (not all). There is some middle ground though and please do not think the worse of posters simply because you have opposing views

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The opposition are very annoying on schools. I see Brid Smith saying that arrangements should be made for children with special needs. Social Democrats saying something similar now.

They were shouting the loudest to close the schools.

Aodhan O'Riordan - don't get me started. He'll say anything to get votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The opposition are very annoying on schools. I see Brid Smith saying that arrangements should be made for children with special needs. Social Democrats saying something similar now.

They were shouting the loudest to close the schools.

Brid Smith has been meeting online with teachers and parents since before Christmas and I dont know much about her but she did put across about schools having to be safe and corrected Patrick O'Donovon his government mantra

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah he was very definite the other day that Leaving Certs should be brought back but quickly changed his tune when he saw the way the wind was blowing, sorry, 'public health advice':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

We have a difficult few weeks ahead of us. Let's all work together to keep more people safe and well

Free Palestine from Hamas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think something will have to be done for special needs kids. The rest of us will cope, perfectly well or badly, but we'll cope. I just caugh a bit there on Newstalk where a mother was talking about her son. He's awake night and day and spends the day lying on the floor kicking it. I only caught a small bit but that would break your heart. And there's far worse than that. Clearly those families need support somehow. I'm worried about my son in LC but I know I couldn't cope at all if I were a mother like that lady. They are the ones that need help first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

is_that_so wrote:
    That puts some of them in a different group anyway. Groups are categorised according to the risk from COVID. Vaccinate them and their risk and the potential health service pressure diminishes.
    I would have thought that the potential for the UK variant to affect children more, might result in reconsideration of the priorities. Also, it's not clear to what extent the disastrous effect on Leaving cert students has been taken into account either. If it were restricted to LC teachers only with other restrictions based on age or vulnerability, I suspect you're talking about < 10,000 people. Could we really not guarantee to offer the vaccine to that cohort within the next two months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Email from our primary school teacher, very detailed. I have mentioned before how organized and tech knowledgeable he seems to be. Hie plan to me seems very manageable and very flexible. I think it will work for all families.
    My son is very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think something will have to be done for special needs kids. The rest of us will cope, perfectly well or badly, but we'll cope. I just caugh a bit there on Newstalk where a mother was talking about her son. He's awake night and day and spends the day lying on the floor kicking it. I only caught a small bit but that would break your heart. And there's far worse than that. Clearly those families need support somehow. I'm worried about my son in LC but I know I couldn't cope at all if I were a mother like that lady. They are the ones that need help first.

I agree something needs to be done to help these families. Im not sure opening special schools is the answer though. Money needs to be spent sending services to homes in a safe manner. Maybe provide sensory equipment to homes etc to help families. Government will have to do whatever it takes to help these kids and families and they need to act quick on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I actually do think they should have opened the schools for SN kids. Perhaps not for every student every day but there could have been an approach taken were the kids got in at some point.
    As said above, the rest of us will muddle through.

jrosen wrote: »
    Email from our primary school teacher, very detailed. I have mentioned before how organized and tech knowledgeable he seems to be. Hie plan to me seems very manageable and very flexible. I think it will work for all families.
    My son is very excited.

I had an email from my kids school this morning aswell and I am very happy with what they have put in place. In the last school closure I was very unhappy with the level of support we received from the school. I literally had to become their teacher!

This time around they have put an online platform in place where they will upload video tutorials which can be viewed at anytime. They are also only going to work on Maths, English and Irish. Teachers are also available for queries. Im very impressed by this sensible approach and is workable in our house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

@C__MC from the last thread

The easiest way to share a text book is to have a digitial version of it on your computer and then screenshare with your students. What book is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Deeec wrote: »
    I agree something needs to be done to help these families. Im not sure opening special schools is the answer though. Money needs to be spent sending services to homes in a safe manner. Maybe provide sensory equipment to homes etc to help families. Government will have to do whatever it takes to help these kids and families and they need to act quick on this.

Would it not be easier to just open SN schools as sending service providers to people's homes would carry probably more risk than having the kids in a regulated environment that the units can provide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

What I heard mentioned before was anyone in Special Ed who did not have childcare committments or otherwise could do home school tuition for Special Needs children, which would have worked in theory because it massively reduced contacts and people could stay in the same bubble.

I think the school and outside agencies need to work with parents here to have a plan in place for the child.

Yes, I feel for Special Needs parents but I think it is just too dangerous to open schools at the minute.

Would it not be easier to just open SN schools as sending service providers to people's homes would carry probably more risk than having the kids in a regulated environment that the units can provide

Possibly Im just throwing out suggestions. My thinking was that the personal needs of the kids could then be looked after by parents. The issue with opening the special schools seems to be the level of personal contact between staff and the kids. In a home setting parents are meeting those needs and the person going into help is providing professional services and not SNA services. Maybe Im completely wrong in my thinking though.

It would have to be done on a safe manner ie. PPE provided etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Deeec wrote: »
    Possibly Im just throwing out suggestions. My thinking was that the personal needs of the kids could then be looked after by parents. The issue with opening the special schools seems to be the level of personal contact between staff and the kids. In a home setting parents are meeting those needs and the person going into help is providing professional services and not SNA services. Maybe Im completely wrong in my thinking though.

It would have to be done on a safe manner ie. PPE provided etc.
    It might be feasible for some children but others really need to get away from the home environment it is part of the problem unfortunately!
    There is no one size fits all for these children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    It might be feasible for some children but others really need to get away from the home environment it is part of the problem unfortunately!

And also, no doubt, the little bit of respite would make their families better able to look after them the rest of the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I feel that the next ps pay increase should be balanced in favor of the sectors that have positively helped during the pandemic I. E. HSE front line, gardai and army (I'm sure there's others out there too)
    But the fact that they take on new tasks and risks without complaint should be applauded and rewarded.

And also, no doubt, the little bit of respite would make their families better able to look after them the rest of the time too.
    That is a Fact!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

jrosen wrote: »
    My son is very excited.

That sounds great! We've yet to hear. Would you mind giving a bit of detail on what's been planned?

Eoinbmw wrote: »

Yeah its not an easy issue to find a solution for. Each child probably needs their own plan to suit their needs. Also my plan does nothing to help parents cope. I really hope that some help is put in place to make it easier for kids and parents. My heart goes out to any family in this difficult situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭lulublue22

One of the most interesting aspects of the special needs debate is the lack of discussion around the withdrawal of 1:1 services ie s&l , OT and CAMHS due to the current situation yet it is perfectly feasible to open special schools. Doesn’t make sense to me.

ETA - Due to inclusion there are also a huge cohort of children with addition / special needs in mainstream classes . A number of these children will also be severely affected by the closure of schools. Why are they not as entitled to provision by virtue of the fact they don’t attend a special school / class. The issue isn’t as clearcut as some would like to make out.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    That sounds great! We've yet to hear. Would you mind giving a bit of detail on what's been planned?

Just to say, second level here, we’ve been on meetings all day/yesterday and are planning everything. Info for parents will come but it’s not ready yet. I’d imagine it will come later for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Triangle wrote: »
    I feel that the next ps pay increase should be balanced in favor of the sectors that have positively helped during the pandemic I. E. HSE front line, gardai and army (I'm sure there's others out there too)
    But the fact that they take on new tasks and risks without complaint should be applauded and rewarded.

Agree.

The move of education to online platforms with little Dept guidance is to be commended and hopefully they think of this too at the next round of pay talks.

A lot of work has gone in to this and at short notice on both occasions.

Triangle wrote: »

Great, so we can include teachers in that as they have also taken on the extra tasks of health and safety and online teaching.

When my kids were kept home just after Halloween, the teachers made sure to check in and send photos of maths and Irish lessons. Didn't have to as it was our choice but they did. They were amply rewarded with Christmas treats this year and a word of praise to the principal. :)

Just to say, second level here, we’ve been on meetings all day/yesterday and are planning everything. Info for parents will come but it’s not ready yet. I’d imagine it will come later for you

Ah yeah, not worried or anything, just curious to see what others are doing since every school will have a different approach!

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Ah yeah, not worried or anything, just curious to see what others are doing since every school will have a different approach!

They will. Even our school has massively shifted since last lockdown based on feedback from students, teachers and parents!

Do ye know if there are many parents reaching out to give opinions on what they'd like to see for remote learning? I know some schools have asked for this but wondering the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Much as I dread the next few weeks I agree needs must at this stage. Email from primary school already, she was the teacher my son had last year now my daughter has her & she was very organised & responsive & this time we on seesaw & she said she's adding prerecorded videos / tutorials as well. She does best she can with remote 10/11 yer olds! Waiting to hear about the 1st yr, but I think they were ok last year so I hear - varying by teacher - the usual. I do think some subject v hard to teach remotely as well. I do fee for special needs & LCs tho not sure what the answer is. Just hope this won't be for long 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Great to see some innovative thinking from schools. Unfortunately ours is asking parents to come into the school on Monday to collect books and the kids just carry on as normal.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Great to see some innovative thinking from schools. Unfortunately ours is asking parents to come into the school on Monday to collect books and the kids just carry on as normal.

My youngest daughters is the same!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement