Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I'd assume they are back open today, maybe try them on the phone again? I have a few bits into the new Finglas address since the 30th that there hasn't been a stir on, but I assume a combination of being closed and overwhelmed is the cause of it.

Just on this, I got the notification for receipt in Dublin today so I'd imagine Monday delivery, unless they are operating tomorrow.

Just fyi, that was direct to the new address in Finglas and not to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Obv I know we're all in the same boat & waiting for any update from PM on the future of the NI address, but surely there is a massive loophole there in the sense of traffic of goods between NI & ROI is free of tariffs & VAT etc, once PM operate their address service as being based in NI then surely there's nothing in place that would stop them from continuing it as before?

Am I totally over simplifying this whole thing or ?

Addresspal & PW both had addresses in mainland UK so can see why they've had to reorganise / cease operations, the NI base seems to be the jewel in PM's crown in this case surely

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

It could be considered smuggling which of course UPS would want to avoid.
    VAT should be paid on any goods coming into NI that are at risk of entering the EU single market.
    They would need legal experts with access to all the documentation to make a call on if there is a legal loophole.

Parcel motel was never a priority for Nightline never mind the much larger company that is UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Ogham wrote: »
    None - there are no tariffs / duties on goods moving between the UK and the EU

I was wrong about that.

Apparently there will be duty on some items that were not produced in the UK - but only on orders over €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Obv I know we're all in the same boat & waiting for any update from PM on the future of the NI address, but surely there is a massive loophole there in the sense of traffic of goods between NI & ROI is free of tariffs & VAT etc, once PM operate their address service as being based in NI then surely there's nothing in place that would stop them from continuing it as before?

Am I totally over simplifying this whole thing or ?

Addresspal & PW both had addresses in mainland UK so can see why they've had to reorganise / cease operations, the NI base seems to be the jewel in PM's crown in this case surely

Its a mess. There was some part of the agreement that the UK will have checks between mainland and NI and if the goods are at risk of entering the EU then something something something.....

Who would have seen this coming.
    (said sarcastically at the UK)
    Nightmare so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The arrangements for GB to NI post were finally revealed on Friday. Parcels with a value less than £135 will be exempt from having to be declared. Parcels over £135 in value will have to carry the appropriate customs label/documentation. Presumably spot-checks will be carried out on undeclared parcels to ensure their contents are under £135.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭98-00

Will Parcel Motel bring back the virtual UK address once they decide how to process tax/customs collection?
    I got the email from them to say they were suspending the UK virtual address, suggesting it may come back? They still have the virtual Irish address, which is useless to me. The whole point of it for me was to get items from UK sellers that didn't want to ship internationally.

Their part of UPS which you would think had plenty of experience international tax/customs.

In the mean time is there any other company offering a forwarding service for packages from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

98-00 wrote: »
    Will Parcel Motel bring back the virtual UK address once they decide how to process tax/customs collection?
    I got the email from them to say they were suspending the UK virtual address, suggesting it may come back? They still have the virtual Irish address, which is useless to me. The whole point of it for me was to get items from UK sellers that didn't want to ship internationally.

Their part of UPS which you would think had plenty of experience international tax/customs.

In the mean time is there any other company offering a forwarding service for packages from the UK?

Addresspal

spix wrote: »
    Addresspal

I'll look into it, thanks.

spix wrote: »
    Addresspal

I see they have a US forwarding address too, that's big bonus for me. Loads more stuff I don't realy need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

The issue is with brexit "goods at risk of entering the EU" aka rep. Of Ireland is a problem. Its basically killed their business model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I see they have a US forwarding address too, that's big bonus for me. Loads more stuff I don't realy need!

Look at the first post in this thread and the Charter four the forum, so there are no misunderstandings.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

Mine was signed and delivered just this AM. Hope you’ll get your mail sorted.

You did well, latest update on mine:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver this item at 05-01-2021 as the recipient refused to accept it. It will now be returned to the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Sorry to kick you when you are down but why would you order a package from Japan to PM in NI when the have always stated they will not handle packages that could have import duty on it??

Likely hood of it getting in undetected was always going to be low,

Sorry, we were unable to deliver this item at 05-01-2021 as the recipient refused to accept it. It will now be returned to the sender.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

eiei0 wrote: »
    Sorry to kick you when you are down but why would you order a package from Japan to PM in NI when the have always stated they will not handle packages that could have import duty on it??

PM didn't have a problem, as long as they weren't expected to fork over charges on your behalf. If you sorted out clearance etc they were fine.

"Yes you can shop anywhere in the world and use your Parcel Motel address as your delivery address. However, if you are buying goods from outside the EU please be aware that depending on the value of the item, they may be subject to Customs VAT & Duty Charges. These charges will need to be paid before the carrier will deliver your parcel to Parcel Motel. Parcel Motel does not accept responsibility for any parcels returned to the sender due to unpaid Customs and Excise duties and cannot pay charges on your behalf. We would also recommend that you track your overseas parcel so that you can see if your parcel is being held by Customs."

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Hello, sorry for all your troubles.
    Just to give you a heads up ,that it takes 3-4weeks for an item to be returned to Japan via Royal Mail ATM. Hope your seller declared them properly as Japan customs can be very awkward to deal with and can ask for additional taxes of returned items. This is based on my experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Quackster wrote: »
    The arrangements for GB to NI post were finally revealed on Friday. Parcels with a value less than £135 will be exempt from having to be declared. Parcels over £135 in value will have to carry the appropriate customs label/documentation. Presumably spot-checks will be carried out on undeclared parcels to ensure their contents are under £135.

Say Arlene Foster orders a brand new iPhone from Amazon in England to her home in Northern Ireland, this iPhone is valued at many multiples of £135, what will happen then? I am thinking solely of Northern Ireland residents here.

eiei0 wrote: »

It was a low enough value item that I had hoped would arrive in PM before the cutoff date

Hello, sorry for all your troubles.
    Just to give you a heads up ,that it takes 3-4weeks for an item to be returned to Japan via Royal Mail ATM. Hope your seller declared them properly as Japan customs can be very awkward to deal with and can ask for additional taxes of returned items. This is based on my experience .

Thanks for that, I have been on to the seller he is looking at various options

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Also just got:

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver this item at 05-01-2021 as the recipient refused to accept it. It will now be returned to the sender."

from Royal Mail, same as a poster a few posts back so they're obviously following through on their threat. It was a small inexpensive package from Bulgaria ordered early December. Doesn't bother me loosing the package but poor form giving next to no notice. I'll be closing my account and using Address Pal from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Mick55 wrote: »
    Also just got:

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver this item at 05-01-2021 as the recipient refused to accept it. It will now be returned to the sender."

from Royal Mail, same as a poster a few posts back so they're obviously following through on their threat. It was a small inexpensive package from Bulgaria ordered early December. Doesn't bother me loosing the package but poor form giving next to no notice. I'll be closing my account and using Address Pal from now on.

It's amazing how UPS think that existing customers will migrate to their new model after been tossed on the dungpile.

gman2k wrote: »
    It's amazing how UPS think that existing customers will migrate to their new model after been tossed on the dungpile.

Their main focus is business customers and they model their business to accommodate them.

Or have they done something to piss them off?

I don't expect Parcel Motel to reinstate their NI address unless it is very easy for them to do so and it is looking like a bit of a legal nightmare.

harmless wrote: »
    Their main focus is business customers and they model their business to accommodate them.

Or have they done something to piss them off?

I don't expect Parcel Motel to reinstate their NI address unless it is very easy for them to do so and it is looking like a bit of a legal nightmare.

UPS are hoping to get the PM model working again, but using European countries not the UK. So I've been told by local Nightlife staff.
    Unfortunately as a company now they have eroded customer trust to a shocking degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Finally got my €100 refund to paypal from a lost parcel sent from UK.

Does not cover the loss fully but better than nothing.

I have €54 credit which I will leave sitting there for now.

Hopefully they relaunch with some new virtual addresses ( a german or spanish address might be handy for Amazon.de / .es)

UPS are hoping to get the PM model working again, but using European countries not the UK. So I've been told by local Nightlife staff.
    Unfortunately as a company now they have eroded customer trust to a shocking degree.

If there were to setup in Germany as a budget option I'd consider using them on inexpensive items.
    There are some options in Germany for parcel forwarding to Ireland but it's expensive so not really worth it for items with low value.

I picked up my last item from Parcel Motel today (from depot).
    I had it ordered on the 11 Dec, but never arrived. When I chased the seller for tracking it showed it had been delivered since the 18th, but of course he had left off the PMid. Staff at my local depot were helpful in tracking it down, but Parcel Motel custy service seems to be gone. Not answering on Twitter for a week now and phone lines are closed.
    End of an era!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

MAORISH wrote: »
    You were lucky....I got my refund but my much wanted item that took me ages to source gone forever. Someone in PM had a.'good' Christmas :mad:

The amount of packages that seem to vanish in the 'Finglas triangle' is shocking.

theguzman wrote: »
    Say Arlene Foster orders a brand new iPhone from Amazon in England to her home in Northern Ireland, this iPhone is valued at many multiples of £135, what will happen then? I am thinking solely of Northern Ireland residents here.
    Parcel must have the correct customs declaration label/documentation. Other than that, there would be no issue as customs duty on mobile phones is 0% and there is no VAT liability on goods sent from GB to NI.

If GB to NI goods are liable for customs duty, I'm assuming there is some means to exempt private buyers who are resident in NI. But that's just speculation on my part as there's still no clear info available that I can find on the matter!

harmless wrote: »
    If there were to setup in Germany as a budget option I'd consider using them on inexpensive items.
    There are some options in Germany for parcel forwarding to Ireland but it's expensive so not really worth it for items with low value.
    I'd imagine France would be the most likely option as transporting the parcels back by ferry would provide for the most economical service.

They might be waiting to see how things work out with the GB landbridge over the next few weeks/months as that would be the fastest & most reliable routing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

I picked up my last item from Parcel Motel today (from depot).
    I had it ordered on the 11 Dec, but never arrived. When I chased the seller for tracking it showed it had been delivered since the 18th, but of course he had left off the PMid. Staff at my local depot were helpful in tracking it down, but Parcel Motel custy service seems to be gone. Not answering on Twitter for a week now and phone lines are closed.
    End of an era!

Same here, got a pleasant surprise when a parcel that was delivered to PM in Belfast on 02/12 and subsequently lost miraculously got deposited in the locker last night.
    Last interaction I'll ever have with PM hopefully.

Advertisement