Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

harmless wrote: »
    There has only been 2 working days since the 23rd, I wouldn't give up yet.

I had two items delivered to PM NI on the 23rd, and I collected them from my local PM depot on the first working day after Xmas. I've since collected an item that was delivered to them on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

So on amazon uk it seems there are heft fees customs fees now. So much for free movement. Can't see them making this work. Damn you brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

JG009 wrote: »
    So on amazon uk it seems there are heft fees customs fees now. So much for free movement. Can't see them making this work. Damn you brexit.

Where are you seeing the fees? I haven't seen any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

ibFoxer wrote: »

I added a £15.80 item to basket, on checkout price reduces to £13 for delivery to my Dublin home. I assume uk Vat is removed and I'd be liable for Irish vat payment. However, will Amazon delivery contractors be collecting it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sweetie wrote: »
    I added a £15.80 item to basket, on checkout price reduces to £13 for delivery to my Dublin home. I assume uk Vat is removed and I'd be liable for Irish vat payment. However, will Amazon delivery contractors be collecting it?

No, Amazon will look after it, unless its a Marketplace seller. If its Amazon is should re-add the estimated import fees which is Irish VAT.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, Amazon will look after it.

So when will it be charged? Otherwise at the moment it looks like I'm getting it VAT free. No shipping until February must be something to do with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sweetie wrote: »
    So when will it be charged? Otherwise at the moment it looks like I'm getting it VAT free. No shipping until February must be something to do with it.

It’s under €22 and at the moment it looks like they are not collecting the VAT on it. That will end on 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

A bit perverse that post-brexit UK exports are stripping HM's exchequer of VAT receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

styron wrote: »
    A bit perverse that post-brexit UK exports are stripping HM's exchequer of VAT receipts.

This is normal when selling outside of your countries VAT zone.

ibFoxer wrote: »

Well after your message I looked more closely.

It says "import deposit fees" but its like that is part of the item price.

VAT?

Do we pay more then when said item lands in Ireland??

• Advertisement

Well after your message I looked more closely.

It says "import deposit fees" but its like that is part of the item price.

VAT?

Do we pay more then when said item lands in Ireland??

Yes import duties is just VAT with no customs.
    It's probably done like this to make it very clear VAT has been paid in Ireland and not the UK.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It’s under €22 and at the moment it looks like they are not collecting the VAT on it. That will end on 1st July.

nice, so a few quid to be saved until then!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's the Irish exchequer that's losing out in this case as Amazon had already been collecting Irish VAT on shipments to this country.

It seems Prime users win out on <€22 orders for the next six months. However, non-Prime users availing of free delivery over £20 are now being charged VAT on the non-existent £6 delivery fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so anything AmazonUk have sold into Ireland for as long as I've been using it, never charged UK Vat anyway. They sell over the threshold of 75k or whatever it is atm, so my understanding is they were required by lay to register and charge Irish VAT which they did

tbh, i'm not sure why that is changing, seems odd

Yes import duties is just VAT with no customs.
    It's probably done like this to make it very clear VAT has been paid in Ireland and not the UK.

So sorry to sound thick but if I bought that said item, after paying irish vat on amazon I would be hit with customs on top and a collection fee when it gets to Ireland!?

So sorry to sound thick but if I bought that said item, after paying irish vat on amazon I would be hit with customs on top and a collection fee when it gets to Ireland!?

No you can only pay Irish VAT once.
    There are no customs duty on any of these goods.

Revenue say there may be customs duty owed but don't list a single example.
    Does anyone know what goods attract customs duty with the free trade deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Have anyone got anything delivered using the Irish address instead of Northern Ireland? If so, what was the delivery time and did you have a long wait to get your parcel in the locker compared to the NI address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

No you can only pay Irish VAT once.
    There are no customs duty on any of these goods.

Revenue say there may be customs duty owed but don't list a single example.
    Does anyone know what goods attract customs duty with the free trade deal?

None - there are no tariffs / duties on goods moving between the UK and the EU

mod <snip> You have the same question on another forum. Don’t cross post, keep it on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What aren’t parcel motel transferring any arriving shipments to their Dublin base and then out to the lockers?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What aren’t parcel motel transferring any arriving shipments to their Dublin base and then out to the lockers?

Aside from the Vat/customs end of things are UPS going to keep the lockers in action? Or did they just buy PM to kill it off?

Aside from the Vat/customs end of things are UPS going to keep the lockers in action? Or did they just buy PM to kill it off?
    UPS bought Nighline. Parcel Motel is just a side business Nightline set up that came as part of the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Richard308

I’d something ordered early December. It was due for parcelmotel delivery 29/12. I rang they said they would refuse to accept parcel in newtownabbey and it would then be returned to sender. I checked the amazon tracking, it showed delivered on the 30/12 at parcelmotel. Hasn’t shown up on my dash. Are they back accepting deliveries. Tried to ring that day couldn’t get through. Any information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Richard308 wrote: »
    I’d something ordered early December. It was due for parcelmotel delivery 29/12. I rang they said they would refuse to accept parcel in newtownabbey and it would then be returned to sender. I checked the amazon tracking, it showed delivered on the 30/12 at parcelmotel. Hasn’t shown up on my dash. Are they back accepting deliveries. Tried to ring that day couldn’t get through. Any information?

I'd assume they are back open today, maybe try them on the phone again? I have a few bits into the new Finglas address since the 30th that there hasn't been a stir on, but I assume a combination of being closed and overwhelmed is the cause of it.

But my parcel was into newtownabbey which they said wouldn’t accept parcels after 28/12

Richard308 wrote: »
    But my parcel was into newtownabbey which they said wouldn’t accept parcels after 28/12
    What they say and what they actually do are two different things!

They were strict in their statements to ensure they wouldn't be burdened with a deluge of last-minute stuff that may or may not make it in time.

However I'm fairly sure that anything they receive without issue, they'll process.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

Quackster wrote: »
    What they say and what they actually do are two different things!

They were strict in their statements to ensure they wouldn't be burdened with a deluge of last-minute stuff that may or may not make it in time.

However I'm fairly sure that anything they receive without issue, they'll process.

Yeah hope so mate, my parcel from Japan is due in to them today at some stage, here's hoping they process it without issue

Well I got notified a little while ago they have it. So I’m happy. Hope your package from Japan makes it without issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

Looks like a lot of retailers have dropped off on free returns. Schuh for one is no longer listed

Advertisement