Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I love the 'What?!'

https://youtu.be/5AcV43LfPF0

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    what did he write ?

Andrews was a sort of patron saint in this country , Gay Byrne slobbered all over him down the years

perhaps he wasnt so saintly ?

no idea , just asking ?

He wrote a supposedly warts and all biography of him. No idea as to its accuracy, I just remember that interview mainly for him walking off. Wouldn't have known who Miriam was at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

Jack Charlton stomps Eamonn Dunphy. Charlton: "You're not a journalist" Slam Dunks Dunphy. Cannot find YouTube video. I do know that some Irish TD's and other personalities take an active part in removing such material from YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jack Charlton stomps Eamonn Dunphy. Charlton: "You're not a journalist" Slam Dunks Dunphy. Cannot find YouTube video. I do know that some Irish TD's and other personalities take an active part in removing such material from YouTube.

That's why I like to save the good ones down, there's various sites you just need to put the Youtube link in and they will save them to mp4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jack Black was being interviewed by Ryan Tubridy when he was his usual fun casual self promoting a pretty forgettable version of Gulliver and he started asking penetrating questions about Black's childhood. Black asked "Is this therapy?!" Tubridy looked mortified like he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.
    Jaw dropping cringe inducing stuff!

I never watch the LLS, but a friend was on it one night. Before my friend was Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne. Ryan had no interest and had done absolutely zero research. His first question was, so Black Sabbath in 1978, what have you been up to since then. Queue Sharon with a face like thunder reeling off his ten solo albums, Grammys, etc and Ryan looking like a lost little boy. I thought she was gonna walk off/abuse him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

How to torpedo your reputation in sixty seconds. You try it sometime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The most bizarre interview on the Late Late Show would have to be Joe O'Reilly by Pat Kenny. His mother in law was sitting beside him. O'Reilly was visibly enjoying the interview and the attention and did not seem to be grieving that his wife was just murdered and the discomfort was evident on his mother in law's face. Pat Kenny kept cool but his face betrayed suspicion and you just knew the Gardaí were watching O'Reilly like a hawk. I remembering turning to my father and saying "He did it!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

There was a competition on the LLS in the 90s I think it was where Gay Byrne pulled out some lady's name, I think she won a car. He rings her up and tells her, I think Gay asked her how her week was or something and she tells him her daughter had just died in a car crash. Cue awkwardness the likes of which I've neer witnessed before. Gay asks her "why did she die?" He obviously meant how but the woman thinks he's taking the pee, cue epic levels of awkwardness but he saves it by giving her his sympathies.

There was a video of it on Youtube but it was taken down a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Don't know when it happened, in the 90's I would think, it was one of those Late Late Shows where Gay Byrne rings someone to say they won a prize and the woman who answers it is distant and distracted. She explains her son or daughter was killed that day (I can't remember the exact details so it might not have been a son or daughter but I think it was) and obviously what would have been a fun surprising live phone call turns somber very quickly.
    And then one of the guests, a poet or writer, recites a poem. It really stuck with me.

Found a link to explain - https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/flashback/talk-show-hosts-phone-call-to-prize-winner-takes-heartbreaking-turn-live-on-air/news-story/32394e41c1967ec71f559c647872ce90

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

On a LLS theme, the moment Gay Byrne says to Annie Casey that 'if her son is half the man his father is, he'll do alright' to which she responds 'I'm not too bad either Mr. Byrne' and leaves.

After following this thread all day has shown the importance of the LLS in our lives pre social media. Poor old Ryan wouldn't be able to deal with anything outside the range of Donald Trump, tragic stories and z-list celebrities.

One more that comes to mind is that brave man who outlined his years of abuse at the hands of Christian Brothers on Questions and Answers. That was powerful TV and has not left me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Some great viewing on the Late Late Show mostly under Gay Byrne's reign.
    Condoms, Divorce, Scientology masturbation promiscuity. The audience the panel and the viewers at home really got wound up over things. Comical now looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I remember watching The Den when Ian Dempsey was on it, must have been some time in the 80s when these kind of jokes were popular, but he was reading out jokes that kids used to send in and he said "Here's one from Brian in Ballywherever - why did the Ethiopian..." and then stopped and apologised. Mad that they didn't even screen the letters.

Thats brilliant. Simpler times, now they have to go through everything with a fine tooth comb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Like something jimmy saville would do. sad that it was only a few years ago.

One more that comes to mind is that brave man who outlined his years of abuse at the hands of Christian Brothers on Questions and Answers. That was powerful TV and has not left me.
    Michael O'Brien from Clonmel.
    An amazing man, so brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

sugarman wrote: »
    I think you're underselling that one a little, he blew his brains out on live TV. I have never in my life seen so much blood, it was horrific.

I remember watching this clip a few years ago, my friend warned me about it but I proceeded to watch anyway. It stayed with me for along time after.

I'm not one to be squeamish about blood and gore on tv but knowing it was a real person really but the shivers up me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

A little before my time but was the JFK assassination live on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,762 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some great viewing on the Late Late Show mostly under Gay Byrne's reign.
    Condoms, Divorce, Scientology masturbation promiscuity. The audience the panel and the viewers at home really got wound up over things. Comical now looking back.

Ireland being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Samsgirl wrote: »
    A little before my time but was the JFK assassination live on TV?
    No it was recorded by a guy called Zapruder on his video camera. The Zapruder Film it is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A lot of the ones that jumped out to me first have been mentioned but one I haven’t seen yet was the Kanye West’s “George Bush hates black people” at the Katrina fund raiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No it was recorded by a guy called Zapruder on his video camera. The Zapruder Film it is called.

I don't think it was shown on TV until some time in the 70's, on Good Night America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Noel Edmonds Breakfast show each week one part of the show was a contestant carried out a stunt or whatever anyway this week they hang a car high up in the air with a crane ( from what I can remember ) then drop it, the guy in the car gets killed live on air.
    They dropped the show after that, it was a very popular show in the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Noel Edmonds Breakfast show each week one part of the show was a contestant carried out a stunt or whatever anyway this week they hang a car high up in the air with a crane ( from what I can remember ) then drop it, the guy in the car gets killed live on air.
    They dropped the show after that, it was a very popular show in the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

Cheasus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It may have been mentioned, but didn’t Tommy Cooper die on live tv?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The English fans wrecking lanstowne road leading to the match being abandoned.

Advertisement