Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Villa beating Liverpool 7-2

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It may have been mentioned, but didn’t Tommy Cooper die on live tv?

Yes. I think it has been mentioned. Not an Irish moment but the death live on air of Christine chubbuck who shot herself in the head while reading a story she’d written about the exact thing she did. Years ago I read the police interviews with her colleagues at the TV station in Florida she was working at. Awful tragic stuff.

The English fans wrecking lanstowne road leading to the match being abandoned.

Yeah I remember being in my aunts house watching it. The kid on the pitch seemed to be the image of that moment. I’ll never understand why the English fans were placed where they were given their reputation for causing hassle.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    A little before my time but was the JFK assassination live on TV?

Not the shots. The news channels came on air soon after it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah I remember being in my aunts house watching it. The kid on the pitch seemed to be the image of that moment. I’ll never understand why the English fans were placed where they were given their reputation for causing hassle.

I remember that kid! Staring in disbelief out on the pitch.

If I remember correctly I think the fai gave him a heap merchandise afterwards. Posters, pjs, curtains etc

I would have been about 10 myself at the time. Anytime it's on reeling in the years I can remember it clearly again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Slash being interviewed by Cat Deeley on the kids morning show one Saturday morning when he started telling her about getting a blow job from a groupie.

Looks like my memory had slightly exaggerated things - see end of this cllip

https://youtu.be/11tBL4Gy1II

I remember this one, he says f*cker in reference to his snake that bit him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Dunphy been taken off air during one of the 2002 world cup matches because he was "Tired and Emotional". Pity footage of it hasn't been uploaded on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Noel Edmonds Breakfast show each week one part of the show was a contestant carried out a stunt or whatever anyway this week they hang a car high up in the air with a crane ( from what I can remember ) then drop it, the guy in the car gets killed live on air.
    They dropped the show after that, it was a very popular show in the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

That didn't happen live on air, it was in rehearsals some days before the live show

But there was another incident on a different episode where a driver flipped a car several times during a stunt and flew in to the crowd.

People could have been killed but they handed back to Noel Edmonds who said it looked like the crew were sorting it out, and that Kid Creole would be on next week. This was live on BBC1 at 6.30pm on Saturday, madness

I remember that kid! Staring in disbelief out on the pitch.

If I remember correctly I think the fai gave him a heap merchandise afterwards. Posters, pjs, curtains etc

I would have been about 10 myself at the time. Anytime it's on reeling in the years I can remember it clearly again

Was it February 1995 or do I have the month wrong. I’d have just turned 10.

So I’ve gone through the thread and I’m shocked to see the space shuttle challenger breaking up live on TV hasn’t been mentioned yet. It’s clear the news presenters weren’t sure what had happened other then it wasn’t normal. The camera focusing on Christa McAuliffe’s parents looking into the sky in shock would hopefully not happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was about 15 it was mad. The Irish cops were warned beforehand by English cops that these loons were heading over and ignored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Moscow Theatre Siege. What was up with the turn of the decade where major news stories actually played out like Hollywood movie plots?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

Bradford City fire

Only took 4 minutes, terrifying

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7vflhp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Skid X wrote: »
    That didn't happen live on air, it was in rehearsals some days before the live show

But there was another incident on a different episode where a driver flipped a car several times during a stunt and flew in to the crowd.

People could have been killed but they handed back to Noel Edmonds who said it looked like the crew were sorting it out, and that Kid Creole would be on next week. This was live on BBC1 at 6.30pm on Saturday, madness

Not one accident, but two? My mouth was swinging open after the second one. How the hell did they get away with carrying on with stunts until someone was killed after that?

Scudges Da wrote: »
    Bradford City fire

Only took 4 minutes, terrifying

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7vflhp

That fire taking hold is as you say terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

dasdog wrote: »
    I remember the gasps of the news presenters when the second plane hit and the realisation this is no accident.

And even though the full extent wasn't known at the time this.

I remember watching that Liverpool-Notts Forest game ay Hillsborough on RTE and then the crowd starts coming on the field with the players looking around wondering what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Moscow Theatre Siege. What was up with the turn of the decade where major news stories actually played out like Hollywood movie plots?

Yeah. Tenet took a page out of that event at the start.

I'll always remember the picture of a woman on a bus after the siege ended. Gawking out the window as she's still messed up on the drugs they deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember once on the Panel when Joe Duffy was on as a guest some drunk lad in the (unseen) audience started kicking off. You could hear some fella with a strong Dublin accent going "shuddup, shuddup" then a largely unintelligible tirade that included the f bomb as Duffy was speaking. It then went to a break and when it came back on the host (might have been Dara O Broin) apologised for the interruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Oliver Reed and his many drunk appearances on TV chat shows. (The one with Des O'Connor stands out) plus the the last one being in the late 90s, when he appeared on 'The Word' with Terry Christian & Katie Puckrik.

Ollie was totally hammered as per usual, wearing a giant leather jacket and sporting a massive handlebars moustache, brilliant TV

Probably available on YouTube.

Yes he came on hammered on the Late Late years ago, and didn't he apologise the next week with another appearance this time quite sober?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

And the Bee Gees walking off Clive Andersons talk show... Think it's on YouTube somewhere

Yes he came on hammered on the Late Late years ago, and didn't he apologise the next week with another appearance this time quite sober?

I don’t know if it was the next week but I’ve seen a clip of gay Byrne saying that Oliver Reed was a man of his word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He wrote a supposedly warts and all biography of him. No idea as to its accuracy, I just remember that interview mainly for him walking off. Wouldn't have known who Miriam was at the time.

Miriam knew that defending Andrew's was a shrude career position to take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

It's always Challenger for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

And the Bee Gees walking off Clive Andersons talk show... Think it's on YouTube somewhere

They were right, he called them " Tossers "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not one accident, but two? My mouth was swinging open after the second one. How the hell did they get away with carrying on with stunts until someone was killed after that?

Health and safety wasn't invented yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    September 11th 2001

The second plane strike
    nullzero wrote: »
    To be fair it's probably the worst thing ever to be broadcast live.

Prior to 2016 anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mrs._Brown%27s_Boys_episodes#Live_special_(2016)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A loaded(from drink) David Cassidy on This Morning

James Brown, somewhat under the influence, as the quick rub of the nose would indicate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watching World Snooker Championship final on BBC when they cut live to the Iranian Embassy just in time to see the SAS going in through the front windows to end a hostage drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

FatherTed wrote: »
    I remember watching that Liverpool-Notts Forest game ay Hillsborough on RTE and then the crowd starts coming on the field with the players looking around wondering what's happening.

Given the times it seemed almost run of the mill (wall) but when the news came out over 90 people died in a crush watching a game of football...

This wasn't live but around the same time and my 13 year old jaw dropped in horror.

Instant violence in the 1980's was a look away - thankfully by 1990 MDMA/E's got people interested in enjoying themselves rather than wanting to punch and kill each other.

• Advertisement

This was quite shocking when it interrupted Brookside with the breaking news.

Advertisement