Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

bb1234567 wrote: »
    More than 1 in every 30 people in Dublin has been confirmed as infected as of today. Sounds huge really,I'm surprised I don't know that many people who have had it still. I'm guessing a lot of people must kind of keep it to themselves. Tbf don't know if I'd go around telling everyone myself if I got it either.

Or maybe your math is just bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

bb1234567 wrote: »
    More than 1 in every 30 people in Dublin has been confirmed as infected as of today. Sounds huge really,I'm surprised I don't know that many people who have had it still. I'm guessing a lot of people must kind of keep it to themselves. Tbf don't know if I'd go around telling everyone myself if I got it either.

You have heard of people who are asymptomatic? Its not leprosy ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Anyone else notice the "Checked in today" number on the App seems to be stuck on the same number for days?

It is on mine

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wolf359f wrote: »
    You also have to remember we're not privy to the fine details. If 50% of households in this country have school going children and 50% don't have any
    and each household have the same number of clusters, then it can't point to schools causing cases. Ya know, maybe the Government aren't lying?

Define school though - pesky College students, you know - doing their thang could be included here, or perhaps not.

It seems like, at times, the HSE loves to cut a stick to beat itself with, by not releasing all the data that one with an interested, let alone vested interest in, can drill down through and derive the real scenario of WTF is actually happening on the ground.

Perhaps they don't know - which again smacks of total incompetence 9 months in by now. FFS, a child would have been born by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Danno wrote: »
    2000 cases out of a population of 4.9mln should be very easy to contain. But alas, as our system here has repeatedly shown, it can't, or won't be bothered it's overpaid whole. I look on this with aghast at how such minute numbers are afforded roughshod over an entire country.

For a population the size of Ireland, 15k cases a day should be our benchmark before moving to level 2 ffs.

I'm sorry this is absolute rubbish.

In the last wave, someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, just over 5% of our confirmed cases required hospitisation.

So if you were at a situation of 15k a day confirmed cases you'd reasonably expect 700 people daily who'd require hospitalisation. And you'd already have hundreds - thousands - already in hospital before you even got to 15k and you'd have loads more to come because the disease spreads exponentially. Our health system would completely collapse.

To say that we should only move to level two when cases have already grown high enough to crash the system? That's crazy talk.

• Advertisement

Define school though - pesky College students, you know - doing their thang could be included here, or perhaps not.

It seems like, at times, the HSE loves to cut a stick to beat itself with, by not releasing all the data that one with an interested, let alone vested interest in, can drill down through and derive the real scenario of WTF is actually happening on the ground.

Perhaps they don't know - which again smacks of total incompetence 9 months in by now. FFS, a child would have been born by now.

Ask the original poster to define school.
    My point stands that some households have schoolkids and some don't.
    If the household clusters grow at the same rate in both household's it can't point to schools. I don't know the details, but if the Government are saying schools are not driving cases, that could be on of the many factors they use to determine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

ElJeffe wrote: »

The lack of self awareness is staggering

Hallmark of /r/trumpism :pac:

The border should be sealed off and nobody let in or out for any reason unless they have a 40ft behind their truck.

Pay shut up money to the dissenters.

Where to start..... we have teachers, nurses, doctors, health professions, home helpers crossing the border daily, but a truck with a trailer is more important than them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Where to start..... we have teachers, nurses, doctors, health professions, home helpers crossing the border daily, but a truck with a trailer is more important than them?

Freight is pretty important. Also fairly isolated. Their job is in the cab of their truck. Very little direct contact than others so they are a lower risk.

Why no more breakdown per county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HSE Daily report out.
    In hospital: 297 (increase of 37)
    In ICU: 23 (Decrease of 2)
    Ventilated: 11 (Decrease of 2)

Beaumont seems the biggest with an increase of 15 in a 24hr period up to 67 ( a week ago they had 38 patients)
    A sizable increase.

Wexford went from 8 yesterday to 14 tonight.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Wexford went from 8 yesterday to 14 tonight.

I think we all know why that is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Can we all try and acknowledge that it is Christmas and our healthcare system has had a particularly trying year. It is those people you are attacking when you consider the roll out of the vaccine slow.

Freight is pretty important. Also fairly isolated. Their job is in the cab of their truck. Very little direct contact than others so they are a lower risk.

I'm sorry accompanied freight is not more important than healthcare.
    Lower risk certainly, the mass testing of truckers in Dover have proved that, but not all freight across the border is in 40 foot trucks, it's in Vans and cars also. Please stop this zero covid pipe dream, it's been debunked so many bloody times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can we all try and acknowledge that it is Christmas and our healthcare system has had a particularly trying year. It is those people you are attacking when you consider the roll out of the vaccine slow.

None of these excuses stand up when it remains a fact that other EU countries have started vaccinating today/tomorrow, while we have vaccine sitting in fridges until next Wednesday.

Healthcare system doesn't stop over Christmas, management maybe. Management haven't had it as hard as front line staff.
    We're also one of the few countries in the EU whose second wave hasn't seen the hospitalizations go beyond the first wave, so technically, less pressure now, yes those countries really struggling can vaccinate from today.
    I think the public just want to know the reason why the delay is all, it's a reasonable ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Good news is our icu number is about 0.18% of cases, so even 2k cases a day over 2 weeks would only add about 50. A month would only add 100 which is still way bellow March. So even with worst case scenarios which will never happen we can easily cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Ask the original poster to define school.
    My point stands that some households have schoolkids and some don't.
    If the household clusters grow at the same rate in both household's it can't point to schools. I don't know the details, but if the Government are saying schools are not driving cases, that could be on of the many factors they use to determine it.

here's the thing though, if schools are driving cases as we suspect, how would the government/NPHET even know given that children are much more likely to be asymptomatic? it's not a case of the government lying, just that they really don't know because the track and trace system doesn't go back far enough. and in their narrative it's simply easier all round to say "schools aren't a problem".

They have the quietest year in a long time going by trolley numbers, we have been locked down for most of the year.

niallo27 wrote: »
    They have the quietest year in a long time going by trolley numbers, we have been locked down for most of the year.

do you know any nurses in the larger hospitals?? it was hellish for them in march april and when covid died down they had to deal with the massive backlog from everything that was put on hold. a backlog they are still working through. in a system that was way below what is needed even before covid. the idea that healthcare workers have been on easy street is insulting and pig ignorant.

• Advertisement

You are a lovely human being. Yeah they have had a wonderful year.

froog wrote: »
    here's the thing though, if schools are driving cases as we suspect, how would the government/NPHET even know given that children are much more likely to be asymptomatic? it's not a case of the government lying, just that they really don't know because the track and trace system doesn't go back far enough. and in their narrative it's simply easier all round to say "schools aren't a problem".

Because I would assume those asymptomatic children live with adults and would infect them, they in turn would more than likely show symptoms and get tested.
    Contact tracers ring and ask for close contacts, as the kids live with them they would also be tested, if the kid was the source, they would test positive, if the kid tested negative, it's impossible the kid infected the adult.
    It's those little details where they can collate and reach a conclusion.

If you take 10 households with a positive case in an adult and children live there, if in 6 households, only the adult test positive and the children negative and in 4 households the children also test positive, then you can say 60% of household clusters are spread from adults to children. The remaining 40% it;s unclear if it was spread form adult to child or vice versa.

froog wrote: »
    do you know any nurses in the larger hospitals?? it was hellish for them in march april and when covid died down they had to deal with the massive backlog from everything that was put on hold. a backlog they are still working through. in a system that was way below what is needed even before covid. the idea that healthcare workers have been on easy street is insulting and pig ignorant.

Who said they were on easy street. Are trolley numbers down or not. This bollox about its ok the vaccine is delayed because they are busy won't wash with me. Are the rest of Europe not busy too.

That's so wrong and insensitive is insulting even for non HCW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's the strategists and not the front line workers being attacked.

No excuses for slacking on a matter that is very expensive by the day and most importantly lives are at stake. Every minute of every hour counts.

But then again, it is the HSE. Such apathetic attitudes is a real issue in this country and very harmful.

Who said they were on easy street. Are trolley numbers down or not. This bollox about its ok the vaccine is delayed because they are busy won't wash with me. Are the rest of Europe not busy too.

I am sad to call myself the same species as someone like you.

You are a lovely human being. Yeah they have had a wonderful year.

So your ok with people dieing because of the delay in getting the vaccine, as long as its not you. Fair ignorant attitude.

Your blaming the slow vaccine roll out on busy health care workers?
    They administer the vaccine, they don't roll it out ffs!

Because I would assume those asymptomatic children live with adults and would infect them, they in turn would more than likely show symptoms and get tested.
    Contact tracers ring and ask for close contacts, as the kids live with them they would also be tested, if the kid was the source, they would test positive, if the kid tested negative, it's impossible the kid infected the adult.
    It's those little details where they can collate and reach a conclusion.

If you take 10 households with a positive case in an adult and children live there, if in 6 households, only the adult test positive and the children negative and in 4 households the children also test positive, then you can say 60% of household clusters are spread from adults to children. The remaining 40% it;s unclear if it was spread form adult to child or vice versa.

except it doesn't work like that. track and trace in a family situation doesn't go back to schools. we have seen countless examples of the HSE refusing to test whole classes because they are not deemed close contacts. so in a family outbreak situation, most likely the whole family is tested, probably all positive and it goes down as a "family outbreak" and that's where it stops.

• Advertisement

It's the strategists and not the front line workers being attacked.

No excuses for slacking on a matter that is very expensive by the day and most importantly lives are at stake. Every minute of every hour counts.

But then again, it is the HSE.

The two are interlinked and we need to understand that you can't have a rollout that quickly without trained staff who have already had a massively difficult year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement