Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

A pink ball would be the ultimate statement that we have ridden ourselves of colonial oppression. Orange would be a bit West Brit and seen as a nod to imperialism.

Pink reflects inner peace and our growing satisfaction as an independent nation. Pink also represents the colour of icing most commonly used on doughnuts. Doughnuts of course being a confectionery commonly eaten by Homer Simpson. Simpson represents the USA which is indicative of the growing commercial/corporate influences on the game.

I was chatting to Donal Og last night and those are his thoughts, verbatim, on the pink ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    A pink ball would be the ultimate statement that we have ridden ourselves of colonial oppression. Orange would be a bit West Brit and seen as a nod to imperialism.

Pink reflects inner peace and our growing satisfaction as an independent nation. Pink also represents the colour of icing most commonly used on doughnuts. Doughnuts of course being a confectionery commonly eaten by Homer Simpson. Simpson represents the USA which is indicative of the growing commercial/corporate influences on the game.

I was chatting to Donal Og last night and those are his thoughts, verbatim, on the pink ball.
    :):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Roots 2020 wrote: »

Jaypers. This is heading in the direction of an inflated rubber doughnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭cson

feargale wrote: »
    Credit the GAA. Whatever about their supporters at times in 2020, the organisation itself has behaved responsibly and been a shining example to the nation.

Settle down.

You must have missed the various club celebrations earlier in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nice to see donal og replying to Buff Egan tonight about raining on Antrim parade.
    Buff driving the discussion from afar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Again, not to take away from Limerick, but in a week where rugby is having a difficult look at itself, there is a question mark over any sport that has that level of physicality. The waterford team yesterday was far bigger than that great team of 15 years ago but they were pushed around yesterday without much protection. The message there is very much, come back bigger next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

Well done to Limerick. That was a walk in the park today for them. Best team in the country without

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The first issue to sort out is refereeing and not enforcing the rules
    Rules are there to protect players

Too many pundits on about letting the game flow and being too fussy.
    There was very little refereeing going on yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kilkenny34

A real bore of a final. Sometimes I miss the 90s hurling...the clash of the ash,the ball being in play for a few minutes on end. The game today is poor in my opinion,the ball is never in play. A typical score nowadays a short puck out to a loose man,who solos up a bit and gives it to another loose man who points easily from midfield....and we go again.Iv noticed the atmosphere at matches is alot poorer in the last few years,no clash of the ash etc.Itd such a robotic game now,really need to get a heavier ball too.People can say I'm old fashioned,I'm 33 and find hurling is alot more boring now than whenever I have been watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Robson99

3 possible changes needed.
    Make the Sliathor heavier, make a goal worth 4 pts and 10 mins sin bin for pulling or cynical play.
    Game is turning into a middle 3rd borefest with points scored from own half back lines. Full forward line becoming non existant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,109 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Robson99 wrote: »
    3 possible changes needed.
    Make the Sliathor heavier, make a goal worth 4 pts and 10 mins sin bin for pulling or cynical play.
    Game is turning into a middle 3rd borefest with points scored from own half back lines. Full forward line becoming non existant

2 of those 3 things already exist. Its called football

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

kilkenny34 wrote: »
    A real bore of a final. Sometimes I miss the 90s hurling...the clash of the ash,the ball being in play for a few minutes on end. The game today is poor in my opinion,the ball is never in play. A typical score nowadays a short puck out to a loose man,who solos up a bit and gives it to another loose man who points easily from midfield....and we go again.Iv noticed the atmosphere at matches is alot poorer in the last few years,no clash of the ash etc.Itd such a robotic game now,really need to get a heavier ball too.People can say I'm old fashioned,I'm 33 and find hurling is alot more boring now than whenever I have been watching it.

Exactly that, I can remember Offaly in particular in the 90s being full of by today's standards light bodied individuals but being at times exhilarating to watch. Similarly from around the same era (little later) you had prolific forwards like John Mullane and Joe Deane who wouldn't see the ball these days without being sledged out of it. DJ Carey even prob wouldn't have been seen as bulked enough to make a starting 15 in the modern game.

We're only a couple of years removed from what was regarded as the greatest championship ever so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. A one-sided final is disheartening but I'd be inclined to wait until we're back in the summer with a proper season first.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

The first issue to sort out is refereeing and not enforcing the rules
    Rules are there to protect players

Too many pundits on about letting the game flow and being too fussy.
    There was very little refereeing going on yesterday

Referee's are very ego centric.
    They want to be reffing the big games.
    Horgan seems to be favoured by the suits for ' letting the game flow'. Other refs will follow suit in this style as they will want the big games.

This 'style' of reffing will always favour the team that fouls the most as we saw yesterday, where 2/5 fouls are called as the team know what the new limit is, and push it.
    Holding the arm, the hurley, trips and groin shots go unpunished and the victors get the spoils. Actual rugby tackles on men running towards goal in the semi finals show how little disincentive there is to foul currently.

Onus has to be on the refs to start enforcing the rules. There would be a few ridiculous matches where a record number of frees are called but players would adapt to not foul as much as it would be detrimental to their teams chances of winning. Horgan can then 'let the game flow' with less fouls.

Otherwise this cynicism will feed into other teams who will want success and will see it as the only way to level the playing field to even compete, nevermind win. I wouldn't want to watch that ' product' if that is what Hurling will turn into. Next year will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Reading some comments by Waterford supporters, they were beaten before a ball was thrown in really.

Waterford were well able to slap few helmets themselves yesterday but that seems be forgotten.

Limerick got few breaks but this puke hurling stuff is gas. It's called implying pressure on the player with the ball. Limerick are just excellent at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hurling has become a shootout in many ways and honestly it's not that exciting as a shootout.

Limerick have gone through the provincial final, All Ireland semi final and All Ireland final without scoring a goal or even looking like scoring one. They seem happy to just slowly suffocate opponents and I don't really think it makes for a great spectacle to tell the truth.

Picking points off time and again from between the 45 and 65 with a decent enough scattering of wides in between as well. Yawn.

Reading some comments by Waterford supporters, they were beaten before a ball was thrown in really.

Waterford were well able to slap few helmets themselves yesterday but that seems be forgotten.

Limerick got few breaks but this puke hurling stuff is gas. It's called implying pressure on the player with the ball. Limerick are just excellent at it.

What comments were these and how would comments by waterford supporters impact the performance on the team on the day ?

What example do you have of 'slaps on the helmet'?
    Barron got a yellow for tap on cian lynches ear and there was a high tackle in the second half by Ian kenny i think which was also yellow carded.
    Limerick only has 1 more yellow despite having double the foul count.

carq wrote: »
    What comments were these and how would comments by waterford supporters impact the performance on the team on the day ?

What example do you have of 'slaps on the helmet'?
    Barron got a yellow for tap on cian lynches ear and there was a high tackle in the second half by Ian kenny i think which was also yellow carded.
    Limerick only has 1 more yellow despite having double the foul count.

Blaming Horgan all week and wishing he was not the ref. Blaming him for the defeat. Like I saw and read, a ball had not even been thrown and the excuses had started.

Sean finn got right wack on helmet yesterday midway through 2nd half halve but carries on like the super player he is. Austin Gleeson in another occasion with wild pull around head.

Anyway does not matter. Best team won the game. Limerick were just a far superior team and the rest of us just need to up the gears or else they will win few more easy enough like yesterday.

Question - the amount of times Waterford players found themselves without hurls in their hands.

Was that all foul play, you could see the hurls being grabbed all the time. But there were no frees given for it.

Blaming Horgan all week and wishing he was not the ref. Blaming him for the defeat. Like I saw and read, a ball had not even been thrown and the excuses had started.

Sean finn got right wack on helmet yesterday midway through 2nd half halve but carries on like the super player he is. Austin Gleeson in another occasion with wild pull around head.

Anyway does not matter. Best team won the game. Limerick were just a far superior team and the rest of us just need to up the gears or else they will win few more easy enough like yesterday.

Quote from Waterford manager after the game:

"I thought Fergal Horgan had a very good game, I felt he refereed the match very well and we have no complaints in that department."

• Advertisement

Yes we did have concerns with Horgan before the game due to his long history of poor officiating. I don't think you saw any complaining from Waterford fans after the munster final this year.

We had concern with Horgan before / And after the KK game too which we won.

Limerick would likely have won anyway but Limericks ' Physicality' combined with Horgan 'loose' reffing as my post alludes to above makes an opposing team even try to fairly attack an uphill task.

Cant recall Gleeson pulling a hurley on someone's head!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If you actually knew what you were talking about it would be something, there was no wild pull from Gleeson. Sur he was taken down with a strike into the groin and a free wasn't even given. He carried on like the super player he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Glenomra

A really outstanding team. Well done Limerick

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Quote from Waterford manager after the game:

"I thought Fergal Horgan had a very good game, I felt he refereed the match very well and we have no complaints in that department."

Ya, it's a pity some fans dont think same though

JeffKenna wrote: »
    If you actually knew what you were talking about it would be something, there was no wild pull from Gleeson. Sur he was taken down with a strike into the groin and a free wasn't even given. He carried on like the super player he is.

Pity he was only ok when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

kilkenny34 wrote: »

I'd agree with a lot of what you said, very little actual play during the game and goal chances are becoming rarer, there's almost a scoring chance every minute. In the past long range points were rare and if a team got one it was a huge boost, now with the players so bulked up long range points are the norm and no one really bats an eyelid at them anymore.
    Congratulations to Limerick very impressive yesterday, they're a fine team and look like they could win a few more before they finish, they look a fair bit ahead of everyone else at the moment and don't see anyone closing that gap before next year's all Ireland if it's in July. Their support play is outstanding and they can pick off points from any angle and distance, their defense don't give the opposition an inch either, they don't really have any weakness.Must be great to be a Limerick supporter now with what looks like a great few years ahead for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ya, it's a pity some fans dont think same though

Waterford aren’t happy with Fergal Horgan, why would they be? He’s a terrible referee and this isn’t sour grapes. It’s been well documented for a long time before yesterday.

Do you think Cahill was going to come out and say the officiating was well below the standard expected and required for an All Ireland final? He’d be a laughing stock. He said the right thing, just doesn’t mean he meant it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

There is no hope of anyone catching Limerick by next July.

Each players conditioning is staggering for an amateur team. I’ve never seen anything like it. They are better conditioned than many pro rugby and soccer players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭I see sheep

There is no hope of anyone catching Limerick by next July.

Each players conditioning is staggering for an amateur team. I’ve never seen anything like it. They are better conditioned than many pro rugby and soccer players.

I'd give Galway or Tipp a decent chance of beating them.

Galway were level with them in injury time with arguably our two best players off the pitch, and a couple more players having quiet games.

Tipp have brilliant skillful hurlers, they're obviously not at Limerick's level physically/athletically but I think on form with some freshness they could still put up a huge score against them.

• Advertisement

This always happens after all ireland final day; last year it was "Tipp look unbeatable, theyll do several in a row now"...... Its only a year since this Limerick team was beaten by a Kilkenny team that everyone is now saying is full of mediocre players that isnt a patch on what they had ten years ago.

My own view is that despite the scoreline, yesterdays game was a better contest than last years final. A lot went right for Limerick yesterday - key goal chances for Waterford didnt go in, a key Waterford player went off injured, the ref missed some bad tackles that could have turned the game if they'd been viewed differently (unlike last years final).

They are worthy champions and the best team in the country, but by no means unbeatable.

Advertisement