Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

1323335373859

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ bocaman


    A week ago I purchased and article online from a shop in Dublin. Got a confirmation email last Sunday to say it was dispatched. Still no sign.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭ The Continental Op


    Darc19 wrote: »
    Which means it is probably in your local delivery office or a holding warehouse (finglas-- former jmob bread factory, portlaoise or little island) as the local office works through their parcels.

    I'm just passing on info that I have that we get from an. No one has to accept it.

    The problem I have is the "holding warehouse".

    Once stuff gets warehoused you don't know if its first in first out or if first in gets left at the back of the warehouse and is the last out?

    Wake me up when it's all over.



  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Srfcsean


    Looks like a complete **** show from an post they had since March to sort out stuff knowing all shops were shut , of course everyone was gonna go online , they need put up messages on there site saying they have backlogs of over a week simple as that , but it’s a complete **** show


  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ gerard2210


    Yep thats right two scans in Parkwest then nothing for a week.

    I didn't think the DSU were allowed to hold anything. afaik the DSU has to clear everything the day it comes in? Now I might not fully understand what a DSU is but my postman tells me that they are not allowed to leave the depot until its empty.
    Under normal circumstances the DSU would be cleared every night, but with the volume of stuff going through at the moment it's not possible to clear the DSU every night. That's with extra night staff and everyone doing overtime. Covid restrictions means less casual staff employed this year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭ The Continental Op


    gerard2210 wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances the DSU would be cleared every night, but with the volume of stuff going through at the moment it's not possible to clear the DSU every night. That's with extra night staff and everyone doing overtime. Covid restrictions means less casual staff employed this year.

    All I can say is that my local postman told me today that they have to clear the DSU and always do there is no option at his DSU not to deliver stuff that day once its got that far.

    Wake me up when it's all over.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ gerard2210


    All I can say is that my local postman told me today that they have to clear the DSU and always do there is no option at his DSU not to deliver stuff that day once its got that far.

    That applies to stuff sorted to his/her duty. Some small DSU's might clear what they have on a nightly basis, but the larger city one's not a hope.
    Sorting has to finish by a certain time so the early shift of posties can get out before the second shift start to allow for social distancing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭ Champ


    Champ wrote: »
    Hi,

    I've an order from Amazon which is been delivered by An Post.

    Been delivered in theory... according to the tracking (An Post own system) it was received by An Post in Dublin and was sorted and that was the last update since the 2nd of December.

    Amazon themselves have said if it doesn't arrive today I can claim a refund.

    How's everyone else doing in terms of An Post deliveries?
    Should I write this off or still hold out some hope?

    My package was just delivered today.

    Looks like the backlog is at least moving.
    Good luck to those still waiting on their deliveries.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19


    Srfcsean wrote: »
    Looks like a complete **** show from an post they had since March to sort out stuff knowing all shops were shut , of course everyone was gonna go online , they need put up messages on there site saying they have backlogs of over a week simple as that , but it’s a complete **** show

    April they were doing about 1.2m/week.

    Last black Friday they did 1.3m for the week

    No one could forecast the 3.5m they did last week.

    They have capacity of 3.2m because they DID invest in technology (two fully automated centres)


  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Srfcsean


    Darc19 wrote: »
    April they were doing about 1.2m/week.

    Last black Friday they did 1.3m for the week

    No one could forecast the 3.5m they did last week.

    They have capacity of 3.2m because they DID invest in technology (two fully automated centres)

    They new this was coming and weren’t ready for it , they need tell people there’s back logs instead of the usual cop out answer for everything now a days covid 🀦🀦restrictions , they need put up on there site they have backlogs Of over 10 days and let people no


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19


    Srfcsean wrote: »
    They new this was coming and weren’t ready for it , they need tell people there’s back logs instead of the usual cop out answer for everything now a days covid 🀦🀦restrictions , they need put up on there site they have backlogs Of over 10 days and let people no

    They've been shouting about the backlog since early Nov.

    It's been in every paper, it's been mentioned here, it's been on radio, its been on TV.

    Anyone who has proper customer engagement have added information to their websites or informed their customers.

    You need to be under a rock not to have read their notices somewhere

    I even passed on details of their notifications here. I think a mod even stickied it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Srfcsean


    Darc19 wrote: »
    They've been shouting about the backlog since early Nov.

    It's been in every paper, it's been mentioned here, it's been on radio, its been on TV.

    Anyone who has proper customer engagement have added information to their websites or informed their customers.

    You need to be under a rock not to have read their notices somewhere

    I even passed on details of their notifications here. I think a mod even stickied it.

    We’ve all seen man 😂😂 exactly my point they new it was coming and use covid as an answer , covid no covid it was happening either way , my point is stop using covid as an excuse and actually tell people there’s back logs instead of throwing figures at people


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 13,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭ whiterebel


    Darc19 wrote: »
    They've been shouting about the backlog since early Nov.

    It's been in every paper, it's been mentioned here, it's been on radio, its been on TV.

    Anyone who has proper customer engagement have added information to their websites or informed their customers.

    You need to be under a rock not to have read their notices somewhere

    I even passed on details of their notifications here. I think a mod even stickied it.


    I think they sent it out to big clients then, but I think the first public announcement was last week, as far as I remember.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19


    whiterebel wrote: »
    I think they sent it out to big clients then, but I think the first public announcement was last week, as far as I remember.

    Definitely was in the media around 10th Nov and again before black Friday where they gave predictions of 3m expected parcels (it was 3.5m)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭ davetherave


    whiterebel wrote: »
    I think they sent it out to big clients then, but I think the first public announcement was last week, as far as I remember.

    A message was appearing on the An Post homepage at least since the 3rd of November saying "We’ll be delivering record numbers of parcels this week, more than ever before. We have the biggest delivery team in Ireland and they are working extremely hard to get your parcels to you. But don’t worry, we will deliver your item as quickly as we can."


    The 11th of November - https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-christmas-deliveries-5262276-Nov2020/ 'Please bear with us': Huge spike in parcel volumes causing delays as Level 5 online shopping booms


    12th of November: https://www.newstalk.com/news/an-post-warns-of-potential-delays-as-parcel-volumes-grow-by-130-1104587

    12th of November: An Post opens second Dublin e-commerce processing centre
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1112/1177651-new-an-post-processing-centre/

    An Post expects to deliver more than 3.3 million parcels per week in 'busiest ever' fortnight


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭ spookwoman


    Parcl due next wednesday arrived this mornig. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭ Brock Turnpike


    Champ wrote: »
    My package was just delivered today.

    Looks like the backlog is at least moving.
    Good luck to those still waiting on their deliveries.

    Mine was the exact same scenario as yours but mine arrived to An Post on the 4th. Hopefully it means I'll get my delivery in the next few days.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 13,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭ whiterebel


    I didn't see it on their website, probably because I go straight into tracking, and I don't read/listen to the others, so that explains it. I put the thread up from Darc19 as it was the first official statement I was aware of.


  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ Mario95


    Darc19 wrote: »
    7 day parcel delivery in urban areas. 6 day delivery all areas.

    Does that 6 day delivery apply for all post or only commercial parcels?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ charlietheminxx


    Waiting for an order which left Germany on 1st of December. It hasn’t been scanned by An Post yet. I really hope it’s just delayed and not lost!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭ Cheshire Cat


    Waiting for an order which left Germany on 1st of December. It hasn’t been scanned by An Post yet. I really hope it’s just delayed and not lost!

    Post to and from Germany takes 2 weeks + at the moment. Don't panic just yet!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭ 0ph0rce0


    Srfcsean wrote: »
    We’ve all seen man ���� exactly my point they new it was coming and use covid as an answer , covid no covid it was happening either way , my point is stop using covid as an excuse and actually tell people there’s back logs instead of throwing figures at people

    So an increase of over 2+ million packages getting banged out weekly with Christmas Casuals / Staff not being hired in the same numbers as previous years because they can't have everyone on top of each other with the social distancing rules in place because of COVID doesn't count?? Hmmmm

    Imagine the amount of staff were hired as usual and then they get an outbreak in the mail centers, they'd have no staff and be shut down.

    And that's just one COVID "excuse" as you say. Nobody would be getting anything.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭ bennyl10


    bocaman wrote: »
    A week ago I purchased and article online from a shop in Dublin. Got a confirmation email last Sunday to say it was dispatched. Still no sign.
    waiting on something dispatched on Monday.
    easily a week dealy for sandard post things now


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭ schmoo2k


    Waiting for an order which left Germany on 1st of December. It hasn’t been scanned by An Post yet. I really hope it’s just delayed and not lost!

    Are you sure it has left - you can expect a week or two sitting on Koln if its DHL


  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Srfcsean


    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    So an increase of over 2+ million packages getting banged out weekly with Christmas Casuals / Staff not being hired in the same numbers as previous years because they can't have everyone on top of each other with the social distancing rules in place because of COVID doesn't count?? Hmmmm

    Imagine the amount of staff were hired as usual and then they get an outbreak in the mail centers, they'd have no staff and be shut down.

    And that's just one COVID "excuse" as you say. Nobody would be getting anything.

    People paid For a service that there not getting as far as I can see, the government told us to shop online we do and now they can’t deliver


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭ spookwoman


    2 items now from amazon and both arrived early. Something due next week arrived today.


  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ username2020


    My package posted in Australia 10th November arrived in Ireland 10 December as per aus post.
    No update as of yet from an post whether they have it or not.
    Wonder will there be big delays on this?
    All my amazon post has arrived in less than 4 days


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭ marklazarcovic


    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    So an increase of over 2+ million packages getting banged out weekly with Christmas Casuals / Staff not being hired in the same numbers as previous years because they can't have everyone on top of each other with the social distancing rules in place because of COVID doesn't count?? Hmmmm

    Imagine the amount of staff were hired as usual and then they get an outbreak in the mail centers, they'd have no staff and be shut down.

    And that's just one COVID "excuse" as you say. Nobody would be getting anything.

    As a postie I gotta admit I'm fed up with people complaining about us at this stage,we have been up the walls doing 6 day weeks for ages, frontline ..house to house, village to village.. treble the workload ,no xtra help , nobody allowed to be trained in a area because two to a van not allowed...there are huge backlogs in all delivery services worldwide because of this,.. Christmas never creeps up on anyone .. nobody could predict lockdowns and explosion of parcels ordered..with no xtra workers allowed to help us out. I cant fit all the parcels in my van most days,have to get them dropped out to me and go over already covered ground again.

    Its work technically I don't have to do as it's overtime, which the taxman fleeces me for,but if I don't people won't get their post/parcels because there isn't anyone else available to do it.

    We are wrecked,stressed,and will probably sleep over the few days off at Xmas.. exhausted. Its no joke.

    Pitch Dark going to work and pitch dark coming home .

    Merry Christmas.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭ The Continental Op


    As a postie I gotta admit I'm fed up with people complaining about us at this stage,we have been up the walls doing 6 day weeks for ages, frontline ..house to house, village to village.. treble the workload ,no xtra help , nobody allowed to be trained in a area because two to a van not allowed...there are huge backlogs in all delivery services worldwide because of this,.. Christmas never creeps up on anyone .. nobody could predict lockdowns and explosion of parcels ordered..with no xtra workers allowed to help us out. I cant fit all the parcels in my van most days,have to get them dropped out to me and go over already covered ground again.

    Its work technically I don't have to do as it's overtime, which the taxman fleeces me for,but if I don't people won't get their post/parcels because there isn't anyone else available to do it.

    We are wrecked,stressed,and will probably sleep over the few days off at Xmas.. exhausted. Its no joke.

    Pitch Dark going to work and pitch dark coming home .

    Merry Christmas.

    No one is blaming any postman out delivering mail!

    It is however absurd to believe that An Post management had no idea that they would get the current volumes.

    Then why would you need to train anyone if An Post had accepted Eircodes? There is no need to have a book with the names of the customers on your route if you can just look up the eircode on a mobile device.

    Wake me up when it's all over.



  • Registered Users Posts: 15,162 ✭✭✭✭ KKV


    I made an order from Decathlon's site.

    An Post delivering it, and emailed me with a generic "we have your parcel and aim to deliver it within 3 working days" email. I checked the tracking number on it:


    04 December 2020, 05:56 - We have your post in DUBLIN DEPOT, DUBLIN

    13 December 2020, 15:17 - Your delivery has been sorted in PARK WEST, DUBLIN 12


    So it's been sitting in Dublin for about 9 days, and today it's been moved to Park West. Not sure how long it'll sit there. I'm in no panic or rush on it whatsoever (not a Xmas gift) but that's the longest delay I've ever experienced with An Post. They must be absolutely snowed under.

    I'm very surprised they haven't started an ad campaign to encourage people to change to get their deliveries sent to their local depot and collect them themselves, as a means to speed things up a bit, rather than waiting on An Post delivering to their door.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 Granadino


    I'm in Spain and waiting for a package that was posted mid November from Ireland, but that could well be the fault of the Spanish post.


Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement