Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

MattS1 wrote: »
    So why do you think they didn't just go after him before they go in? Very odd to have a guy waiting outside for 30mins on the phone who also speaks to him at the gate if it was just a random encounter.

To me, that does suggest that it was not a random encounter.

Trevor may not have known the man, but the man appears to have known him - or known OF him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

oneilla wrote: »
    If I remember correctly Trevor was on the phone to a security guard named Peter to check if the gate was open - Peter had taken in a deliver shortly beforehand and left the chain unlocked. Trevor stops on the footpath out of camera to finish the call. The mystery man could have overheard the call thus knew Trevor was headed to the gate and this allowed him get there first as Trevor had stopped on the path.

And Peter the security guard passed away subsequently, I wonder what he would have made of the footage.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Mary (Marie) Celeste

The British brig Dei Gratia was about 400 miles east of the Azores on December 5, 1872, when crew members spotted a ship adrift in the choppy seas. Capt. David Morehouse was taken aback to discover that the deserted vessel was the Marie Celeste. She had left New York City eight days before him and should have already arrived in Genoa, Italy. He changed course to offer help.

Morehouse sent a boarding party to the ship. Upon boarding they discovered the ship's charts had been tossed about, and the crewmen's belongings were still in their quarters. The ship's only lifeboat was missing, and one of its two pumps had been disassembled. Three and a half feet of water was sloshing about in the ship's hold, though the cargo of 1,701 barrels of industrial alcohol was largely intact.
    There was a six-month supply of food and water—but not a soul to consume it, for there was nobody aboard the Mary Celeste, now a "ghost ship" the most famous ghost ship in history!

Spooky.

Crazy, I wonder if someone on the ship had a psychotic break and ordered everyone into the lifeboat at gunpoint , or did an encounter with crew from another ship go wrong somehow , also another older mystery if your interested in that sort of thing is the Dyatlov pass incident although a guy has wrote a book with a pretty convincing theory on what happened there, dead mountain I believe the book is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Another one is the disappearance of Tina satchwell in youghal

Oh that's a question of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mary (Marie) Celeste

The British brig Dei Gratia was about 400 miles east of the Azores on December 5, 1872, when crew members spotted a ship adrift in the choppy seas. Capt. David Morehouse was taken aback to discover that the deserted vessel was the Marie Celeste. She had left New York City eight days before him and should have already arrived in Genoa, Italy. He changed course to offer help.

Morehouse sent a boarding party to the ship. Upon boarding they discovered the ship's charts had been tossed about, and the crewmen's belongings were still in their quarters. The ship's only lifeboat was missing, and one of its two pumps had been disassembled. Three and a half feet of water was sloshing about in the ship's hold, though the cargo of 1,701 barrels of industrial alcohol was largely intact.
    There was a six-month supply of food and water—but not a soul to consume it, for there was nobody aboard the Mary Celeste, now a "ghost ship" the most famous ghost ship in history!

Spooky.

Has there not already been a plausible explanation for what happened? https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2006/may/solved-mystery-mary-celeste#:~:text=Now%2C%20however%2C%2021st%20century%20scientific,Briggs%2C%20his%20family%20and%20crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Mr Fegelein disappeared for a while then seemed to come back again. Thats a mystery alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

km991148 wrote: »
    Mr Fegelein disappeared for a while then seemed to come back again. Thats a mystery alright.

Benzos is my guess:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Don’t know but it’s very odd how this “man in black” in the footage has never come forward

As far as I'm aware, the one guy they believed to be involved, who is from a family of scumbags in Dublin, is still refusing to speak as he would likely be incriminating himself.

As usual, the investigation by the Gardaí was a complete disaster and the case will likely remain unsolved unless someone gets a hold of that scrote. I believe the suspect and his family have been identified on Twitter.

By all accounts Trevor Deely was a nice guy. It's likely he met his end due to a couple of junkie vermin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭ Jaycee Unkempt Revenge

Akesh wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the one guy they believed to be involved, who is from a family of scumbags in Dublin, is still refusing to speak as he would likely be incriminating himself.

As usual, the investigation by the Gardaí was a complete disaster and the case will likely remain unsolved unless someone gets a hold of that scrote. I believe the suspect and his family have been identified on Twitter.

By all accounts Trevor Deely was a nice guy. It's likely he met his end due to a couple of junkie vermin.

I wonder how they managed to leave no evidence if it was an unplanned attack...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Benzos is my guess:D

nah thats what I take to be able to cope with boards.ie :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

razorblunt wrote: »
    Oh that's a question of when.

The Tina Satchwell case is an open investigation (in theory, anyway) so we can't discuss it in any detail.

But this comment is intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I wonder how they managed to leave no evidence if it was an unplanned attack...

Pure luck,

Bill Clinton was due to visit the following week so the corporation had big dumpsters dotted around that (and other) areas around Dublin allowing any evidence to be disposed of well before the alarm was raised . Also the taxi strike and ****e weather prevented the usual high volume of traffic thus allowing a greater degree of quietness on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

how to become a millionairess!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Who put Bella in the wych elm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

About 200 pages ago I mentioned flight MH370.

Time to bring it up again.

Yes there are several theories, but nobody is 100% sure exactly what happened to that flight. Pilot suicide, possibly? Hijacking gone wrong, possibly? Sabotage, possibly? Cockpit depressurisation, possibly? Fire in the cargo bay, possibly?

Big mystery.

Is there any good books that cover more detail of the Deely case? Or similar Irish cases.

Yes there are several theories, but nobody is 100% sure exactly what happened to that flight. Pilot suicide, possibly? Hijacking gone wrong, possibly? Sabotage, possibly? Cockpit depressurisation, possibly? Fire in the cargo bay, possibly?

Big mystery.

murder/suicide by the pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Big mystery.

i would be fairly certain US government know, Diego Garccia has high level tracking equipment there, MH370 would have been on their radar at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Is there any good books that cover more detail of the Deely case? Or similar Irish cases.

Barry Cummins' book Missing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Broadsheet did an excellent timeline of the Trevor deely case a few years ago

And the series of 3 articles published in the Irish times a few years ago on it are worth reading too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Broadsheet did an excellent timeline of the Trevor deely case a few years ago

And the series of 3 articles published in the Irish times a few years ago on it are worth reading too

The Broadsheet articles are well worth a read and are an important piece in how the 2017 appeal played out. Rosita Boland's series of articles are a must read.

I would strongly advise people to avoid any true crime/unsolved mystery style podcasts and YouTube videos about Trevor Deely. These tend to be made by Americans regurgitating information they've found on the internet.

Edit: there's also the February 2001 article on the Irish Independent website which has some details not since repeated.

oneilla wrote: »
    The Broadsheet articles are well worth a read and are an important piece in how the 2017 appeal played out. Rosita Boland's series of articles are a must read.

I would strongly advise people to avoid any true crime/unsolved mystery style podcasts and YouTube videos about Trevor Deely. These tend to be made by Americans regurgitating information they've found on the internet.

Edit: there's also the February 2001 article on the Irish Independent website which has some details not since repeated.

Would it be possible for anyone to post the articles here or a link to them?

They have solved another of the cyphers left by the Zodiac Killer. Unfortunately not the one that contains his name

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Zodiac-340-cypher-cracked-by-code-expert-51-years-15794943.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

They have solved another of the cyphers left by the Zodiac Killer. Unfortunately not the one that contains his name

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Zodiac-340-cypher-cracked-by-code-expert-51-years-15794943.php

So many have tried for so long thinking this would crack the case- sadly not but still an amazing feat!

It does give a disturbing insight into his mindset of collecting victims as slaves for the afterlife though.

http://zodiackillerfacts.com/news-and-updates/breaking-news-the-zodiacs-340-cipher-has-been-solved/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Saw this on another thread

Video about the code crackers

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Saw this on another thread

Video about the code crackers

Interesting that he seems to have made some errors and spelling mistakes (either by accident or deliberately)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Interesting that he seems to have made some errors and spelling mistakes (either by accident or deliberately)

I'm pretty sure he was notorious for that.

I'm pretty sure he was notorious for that.

Yeah the spelling of paradice is jumping out at me as familiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Yeah the spelling of paradice is jumping out at me as familiar!

Jumping out at me too. It is most likely Arthur Lee Allen, or Rick Marshall . My son seems to think the spelling errors are deliberate to make the cracking of the cipher more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Good site about the Zodiac killer.

Lots of good information

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for lots of links to letters and photos

https://www.zodiackiller.com/VPDER.html

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement